• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't it kind of weird that The Penguin is so famous? (Batman)

I love Burton's grotesque and psychotic Penguin. Devito seems like he had a lot of fun with the role ("I played this stinkin city like a harp from Hell, gha~ha~haa!") Then again, I love Burton's entire twisted vision of the Batman brand. I wish there would have been more.
Same.

People hate Burton's Penguin for how weird he was but man he might be my favorite pre-Nolan Batman movie villain.
giphy.gif

Just fun as hell and had an incredible theme accompanying him.

I really don't understand why he had a duck car when everything else about him had such a heavy focus on penguins.

But it's been a long time since I've seen the movie and maybe it was explained some way in the story.

All the A-listers (aside from Ra's if he hasn't bathed recently) are touched in the head tho. Oswald ain't.
Bane is relatively sane if he isn't hitting the Venom

Code:
[img]http://www.dadsbigplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/secret-six-bane-goes-crazy.jpg[/img]
He is one of the most famous BECAUSE he was being used a lot. Hell, the last page is all about the condiment king because of how much spotlight he and Orca received in LEGO Batman, not because they are good villains.

Personally my favorite weird villain is the eraser.

It is like how NOBODY knows any WW villain and basically the only X-Men villain they know is Magneto
Well they do know Apocalypse. Next X-Men film should be an adaption of the Savage Land arc, with Sauron and the Living Monolith as the big bads.

He is one of the most famous BECAUSE he was being used a lot. Hell, the last page is all about the condiment king because of how much spotlight he and Orca received in LEGO Batman, not because they are good villains.

Personally my favorite weird villain is the eraser.

It is like how NOBODY knows any WW villain and basically the only X-Men villain they know is Magneto

Well, actually Xmen is pretty well known, as most of them used multiple villains per movie. You also had a very popular animated series with a slew of villains.

Spiderman had the same benefit: multiple movies, and TV shows.

Well, actually Xmen is pretty well known, as most of them used multiple villains per movie. You also had a very popular animated series with a slew of villains.

Spiderman had the same benefit: multiple movies, and TV shows.
No one knew the Hellfire Club before FC, and no one gives a fuck about them now. Maybe Emma Frost MAYBE, but not Shaw, Mastermind, Pierce, or Leland. Apoc, Magneto, William Stryker (in name only and without the Purifiers), and very specific Brotherhood members (Sabretooth, Mystique, Blob, Juggernaut, Toad) are really all anyone knows. Cassandra Nova? Mr. Sinister and the Marauders? Omega Red? The Shi'ar (depending)? Phalanx? Bastion? Purifiers? And those are only some of the biggest. That's not bringing in Vulcan, Exodus, Emplate, Kavita Rao, Ord and the Breakworld, Danger, Dark Beast, Belasco, Stryfe, Shadow King, Selene, Genocide, and there's a few others that I know I'm missing.

Like, maybe they know some of them from the cartoon and maybe a couple stuck from the movies (again, Stryker or the Hellfire Club or Shadow King or Bolivar Trask), but by and large the X-Men villains gallery is not well known.

A fair point. Is a non-roided Bane an A-lister tho?
You don't need to be effective to be an A-lister. You just need one memorable story. But in terms of a threat? Yes. He's still a master strategist, skilled hand-to-hand combatant, and extremely strong, even when not on Venom. Like, freakishly strong, which I personally believe could be a sort of perma-boost from the Venom.

"First he was a strange sewer mutant who lead an army of robotic penguins in Tim Burton's Batman Returns."

He existed a long time before that.

Top Bottom