• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISP's (UK) Internet piracy warning letters to start trail after years of gestating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komo

Banned
I'm not quite sure I really see the point of this, other than to maybe put the scare onto people. Educationally, who doesn't know that piracy is illegal at this point? For many things such as music/TV the "downloading it to try it" or "I can't find it anywhere else" is pretty moot these days with services like Netflix/Spotify, too (though I'm sure there are plenty of super obscure things that aren't available through legal means).

Almost anyone pirating content in 2017 is doing it because they don't want to pay for it, I can't see why this would stop them.

If it is no longer available to purchase (the case with a massive amount of music I like) or I'm being unnecessarily price-gouged in my territory (software, always software), I will pirate. I feel that more than justifies my actions enough.

That said, I will always purchase amid the correct circumstances - Availability and fair pricing

RulkezX

Letting people, who may be unaware, know they're pirating content isn't class warfare.

Who really doesn't know what they're doing is illegal ? If an adult genuinely thinks they can spend £20 on Amazon for a box that gives them all tv and new movies plus ppv sports for free forever......then they're idiots. It's not really about education it's about free being less than hundreds of £ outlay.

Tak3n

Banned
Who really doesn't know what they're doing is illegal ? If an adult genuinely thinks they can spend £20 on Amazon for a box that gives them all tv and new movies plus ppv sports for free forever......then they're idiots. It's not really about education it's about free being less than hundreds of £ outlay.

and you have summed up the whole issue in one sentence, and the crux of the court case in the EC

If you as a end user buy a fully loaded box of ebay, can be deemed to be guilty of piracy, as you are simply buying a box with links on it (similar to any website), so ergo it would require the authorities to proof that you 'knew' full well you were buying this item to view copyrighted material.... which is impossible to do, hence why these companies are desperate to stop the sale of pre loaded boxes

Yaska

and you have summed up the whole issue in one sentence, and the crux of the court case in the EC

If you as a end user buy a fully loaded box of ebay, can be deemed to be guilty of piracy, as you are simply buying a box with links on it (similar to any website), so ergo it would require the authorities to proof that you 'knew' full well you were buying this item to view copyrighted material.... which is impossible to do, hence why these companies are desperate to stop the sale of pre loaded boxes

That's why in most countries in EU the law actually states that you were aware you are doing something illegal or you should have been aware. Depending on the country buying a box like this shows that you should have been aware you are getting illegal content. The hard part with streaming the content comes from the fact that it's hard to catch. There are a lot of hurdles with legality of streaming, which the CJEU will in civil cases clear up. My personal opinion is that being a complete idiot isn't an acceptable excuse for breaking the laws, especially as in many countries the legal systems follow the principle that every citizen knows the law (yes, clearly this isn't realistic principle to follow).

Whole other thing comes to what can be defined as streaming. Programs such as Popcorn Time are the worst as those are full blown torrent clients and using them is a fast pass to trouble. And in case of my country, Finland, using those to download and distribute copyright protected content is criminal and can net you jail time in worst cases.

For the record I am a professional copyright lawyer working closely with piracy cases.

That's why in most countries in EU the law actually states that you were aware you are doing something illegal or you should have been aware. Depending on the country buying a box like this shows that you should have been aware you are getting illegal content. The hard part with streaming the content comes from the fact that it's hard to catch. There are a lot of hurdles with legality of streaming, which the CJEU will in civil cases clear up. My personal opinion is that being a complete idiot isn't an acceptable excuse for breaking the laws, especially as in many countries the legal systems follow the principle that every citizen knows the law (yes, clearly this isn't realistic principle to follow).

Whole other thing comes to what can be defined as streaming. Programs such as Popcorn Time are the worst as those are full blown torrent clients and using them is a fast pass to trouble. And in case of my country, Finland, using those to download and distribute copyright protected content is criminal and can net you jail time in worst cases.

For the record I am a professional copyright lawyer working closely with piracy cases.

IP lawyer bos unite!

And yeah this really is a massively toned down version of what was originally envisaged.

I download Netflix shows because I want to make gifs (I pay for Netflix tho) :/

Not gonna lie, but that was an aspect that made me rip all my Blu-rays in raw quality (and fed to my Plex server). Stupid PS4 share function not being allowed for movies. So many times when I wanted to send a screen to a friend while watching something...

Ran rp

I download Netflix shows because I want to make gifs (I pay for Netflix tho) :/
Not gonna lie, but that was an aspect that made me rip all my Blu-rays in raw quality (and fed to my Plex server). Stupid PS4 share function not being allowed for movies. So many times when I wanted to send a screen to a friend while watching something...

This is what made me start ripping my blus. Can't take screenshots with the included player (pc) and it doesn't look like there are any free ones which let you screengrab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom