• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Approves Construction of 1,800+ Settler Homes in Occupied West Bank

AAK

An Israeli panel approved plans on Tuesday for the first new Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank in two decades, Israeli media reports said, drawing Palestinian condemnation and defying repeated international appeals to avoid such measures.

If confirmed, the plans, which media said also envisage the construction of some 1,800 other settler homes in the West Bank, are likely to deliver a further serious blow to efforts to revive the moribund Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

A spokeswoman for the military-run Civil Administration in the West Bank of which the panel is a part declined to comment on the reports.

Peace Now, an Israeli anti-settlement group that monitors settlement activity in the West Bank, could not immediately confirm the reports but said the panel was due to discuss further building plans for the occupied territory on Wednesday.

Full story at the link.

Of course they did.

Daddy Trump will provide air cover while they steal land they have no right to.

And when Palestinians retaliate for losing their land, they'll be called terrorists by Trump.

Anion

Israel gonna be Israel. Donald is a week ass President and there will never be any backing down from Israel. If there is, color me surprised

Remember, a two-state solution is totally viable, Israel is a good-faith partner for peace, and both sides are somehow equally to blame despite the obvious asymmetry of the conflict.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Who the fuck are the people who decide to move their family to the West Bank anyway?

Do they feel any sense of guilt building their houses on the ruins of the recently evicted Palestinians?

Do they even see them as human?

Why do they even "approve" anything. Israel could literally kill every Palestinian in the West Bank and the rest of the world would do NOTHING.

Do they feel any sense of guilt building their houses on the ruins of the recently evicted Palestinians?

No and no.

Who the fuck are the people who decide to move their family to the West Bank anyway?

14open_sderot3-master675.jpg

When you pull up lawn chairs and sofas to watch the live cinema of Palestinians being destroyed, I don't think caring about settlements is on your agenda :p

old

Is there a good non-biased non-agenda documentary that explains the Israel-Palestine conflict?

It seems like everyone has already chosen a side but I don't know enough to choose a side.

Third Intifada is a go

Israeli hardliners that make the tea party look moderate

No

No

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a good non-biased non-agenda documentary that explains the Israel-Palestine conflict?

It seems like everyone has already chosen a side but I don't know enough to choose a side.

The Podcast "Martyr Made" is excellent.

It covers the Early years of the Zionist movement up until WWII. It's full of gripping stories and emotionallity for both sides. Hard to really come out truly hating either side at face value. Instead, you'll really end up hating the British, and to a lesser extent the United States.

Wonder if there's ever going to be a solution. One Israel-Palestina with Israelis and Palestinians living together. Not going to happen, I know.

collige

Banned
Wonder if there's ever going to be a solution. One Israel-Palestina with Israelis and Palestinians living together. Not going to happen, I know.

Israel doesn't want that because they wouldn't be able to maintain a Jewish majority in the country.

JordanN

Banned
If you remove your feelings and approach the conflict rationally, settlements only exist because Israel doesn't know how safe a Palestinian state next to them will be.

If Israel only wanted to take land "lol because we can" why aren't they expanding into Egypt or Jordan?

The settlement debacle can only end when the Palestinians actually form a government that can cooperate with Israel. Otherwise, what do you expect to happen? Even if they pulled out every settlement tomorrow, how will the Israelis know a bomb wont go off in their mall or pizza shop?

This is not defending settlements by the way, because I personally don't see them having a permanent future. I'm just saying they don't exist for mere cartoon reasons of "we're evil".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you remove your feelings and approach the conflict rationally, settlements only exist because Israel doesn't know how safe a Palestinian state next to them will be.

If Israel only wanted to take land "lol because we can" why aren't they expanding into Egypt or Jordan?

The settlement debacle can only end when the Palestinians actually form a government that can cooperate with Israel. Otherwise, what do you expect to happen? Even if they pulled out every settlement tomorrow, how will the Israelis know a bomb wont go off in their mall or pizza shop?

The Palestinians don't have the military might, economic clout or what not that countries like Egypt do. Israel faces backlash from their settlements in Palestine but they'd be going into all out war with a country like Egypt if they tried the same thing. Not too mention the reactions of the other countries near Israel jumping in now that they're given a reason to.

The settlement debacle can only end when the Palestinians actually form a government that can cooperate with Israel.

Let's approach it rationally then. I'm sure the people you are stealing land from will make peace when you steal even more land from them.

And lol @ the bolded...

XenoId

Really? How can you defend this? This is the effects of brain washing , folks!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

The settlement debacle can only end when the Palestinians actually form a government that can cooperate with Israel.

They "take land" because these "Ultra-Zionist" settler want them to, because they believe they have a bigger right than the Palestinians to these lands.
The current majority in the Knesset do not want "cooperation" with the Palestinians.

To the leaders of their religious parties, this is an easy way to appease them and to lead the course for what they seek -- destroying any chance of a two-state solution and forcing a one-state apartheid (they will never outright say that but many of them do advocate annexation already).

The leaders of the country -- Bibi and his Likud, are right-wing and will appease those other fairly like-minded party to stay in power. While they don't have the same religious fervor, they cater to the same sort of crowd so they support these moves.
It is awful that many need to suffer because sometimes is the personal mania of a few individuals (though the populace is obviously partly at fault for not seeing through the veneer and electing them in the first place).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

God promised them the land, bro.

Sunster

This is not defending settlements by the way, because I personally don't see them having a permanent future. I'm just saying they don't exist for mere cartoon reasons of "we're evil".

maybe that big ass apartheid wall?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Of course they did.

Daddy Trump will provide air cover while they steal land they have no right to.

And when Palestinians retaliate for losing their land, they'll be called terrorists by Trump.

If someone goes out and stabs innocent civilians with a knife in the street, you can call them terrorists despite the other side doing terrible things to their group, it's not mutually exclusive.

kmax

Both you, I and everyone else know that Netanyahu isn't interested in a two-state solution. His goal is to build a Greater Israel - an all Jewish state where Palestinians have no place. This is the dream of the right wing Zionists, which is his base.

Palestine could do every single thing asked of them today, and Netanyahu still wouldn't give a single fuck. Nothing's stopping that train.

Dehnus

they were never the good guy. not for a single day since their existence.

That isn't true either. You cannot compare the current right wing government and the extreme right wing/populist right wing they work with to say their Labour government. Sadly the latter has the same issues we have in Europe, the left can't seem to sell their message as well as the populists can. And that is understandable. The right can just scream about "JUSTICE! SAFETY! RAAAAAH" and anything in between and feels no qualms in doing so. (Look at the Republican party, Food Stamps and stealing for Children with Cancer, real classy :( ), but people keep falling for it, also in Israël...

Derwind

Are we going to sit here and pretend Israel is going to cede any significant portion of settled land?

Top Bottom