• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Approves Construction of 1,800+ Settler Homes in Occupied West Bank

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
they were never the good guy. not for a single day since their existence.

That's an odd statement. Life isn't a children's movie and there's no pure good and evil, and a country-- not a single entity, and not frozen in time is so ambiguous and constantly-changing that stamping it with a single "GOOD", "BAD", "LAZY", "VIOLENT" stamp is reductionist and lazy. If you don't know the situation well enough (not saying you personally don't), I think it's better to just stay silent or at least make it clear that you are not certain in your views.

Sunster

That's an odd statement. Life isn't a children's movie and there's no pure good and evil, and a country-- not a single entity, and not frozen in time is so ambiguous and constantly-changing that stamping it with a single "GOOD", "BAD", "LAZY", "VIOLENT" stamp is reductionist and lazy. If you don't know the situation well enough (not saying you personally don't), I think it's better to just stay silent or at least make it clear that you are not certain in your views.

okie I'll substitute bad guy with apartheid state.

aeolist

Banned
Both you, I and everyone else know that Netanyahu isn't interested in a two-state solution. His goal is to build a Greater Israel - an all Jewish state where Palestinians have no place. This is the dream of the right wing Zionists, which is his base.

Palestine could do every single thing asked of them today, and Netanyahu still wouldn't give a single fuck. Nothing's stopping that train.

the two state solution has been dead for years, there's no place for a palestinian state to exist. gaza is a bombed-out hellhole that will be literally uninhabitable by human beings within the next few years, and the west bank is swiss cheese:

israeli_settlements_map.gif

it's a convenient political fiction because it's something the israeli leadership is willing to give lip-service to, while a single state assimilating palestine and giving all citizens full legal rights is a complete non-starter. and since nobody will ever actually pressure israel to do anything we'll just have the current situation of apartheid and slow-moving ethnic cleansing.

If you remove your feelings and approach the conflict rationally, settlements only exist because Israel doesn't know how safe a Palestinian state next to them will be.

If Israel only wanted to take land "lol because we can" why aren't they expanding into Egypt or Jordan?

The settlement debacle can only end when the Palestinians actually form a government that can cooperate with Israel. Otherwise, what do you expect to happen? Even if they pulled out every settlement tomorrow, how will the Israelis know a bomb wont go off in their mall or pizza shop?

This is not defending settlements by the way, because I personally don't see them having a permanent future. I'm just saying they don't exist for mere cartoon reasons of "we're evil".
Why do you jump to Palestinians being inherently violent as the reason for settlements if you're not defending settlements?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Who the fuck are the people who decide to move their family to the West Bank anyway?

Do they feel any sense of guilt building their houses on the ruins of the recently evicted Palestinians?

Do they even see them as human?

Vox had a pretty good two part series on Settlements late last year. Doesn't really touch upon the evicted Palestinians or Israeli settlers facing that at all, but you get a decent overview of the history and more importantly the people who are moving out there today. A lot, probably most, of residents are not serious Zionists, they move out to the settlements because it offers a better life than in the major cities. The Gov spends a disproportionate amount of money on settlement residence than mainland ones resulting in better schools, services and so on. These people aren't radicals looking to be on the front lines for Israel, they're go there because they're getting a better life and the consequences aren't there problem. It's the epitome of indifference because they know the Palestinians have little to no recourse and the Israeli government goes above and beyond to keep them safe and happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0uLbeQlwjw = History of settlements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6L9mS9ti6o = A look at the current state and residents of settlements.

Maztorre

This is not defending settlements by the way, because I personally don't see them having a permanent future. I'm just saying they don't exist for mere cartoon reasons of "we're evil".

Ethnic cleansing isn't evil, folks. Glad that's cleared up.

Of course they did.

Daddy Trump will provide air cover while they steal land they have no right to.

And when Palestinians retaliate for losing their land, they'll be called terrorists by Trump.

Israeli Settlements in the West Bank have been occurring since 1967. Netanyahu has obsessed over settlements since the 90s when he outlined a plan for Israel to occupy 60% of the West Bank.

They have been built, regardless of the US President or policy, so maybe you should shift your blame elsewhere.

JordanN

Banned
Why do you jump to Palestinians being inherently violent as the reason for settlements if you're not defending settlements?
Where did I say "inherently violent"?

Since you want to drag settlements along, tell me why was Israel invaded in 1948 when they neither occupied Gaza or the West Bank? And before there was even state, why was there several riots targeted at Jews between 1920 - 1948?

No matter how some want to skew the conflict, it's never a black and white issue.

The issue is complicated but calls for reason and appeals for nuance tend to evaporate in the wake of galactically stupid rhetoric like "If Israel is just a land-hungry monster then why don't they invade two other countries instead of taking it from a marginalized and defenseless occupied population?"

The issue is complicated but calls for reason and appeals for nuance tend to evaporate in the wake of galactically stupid rhetoric like "If Israel is just a land-hungry monster then why don't they invade two other countries instead of taking it from a marginalized and defenseless occupied population?"

Exactly. What an asinine argument.

ECC

Expect to see this story in many permutations over the next few years, for the same settlement.

The "Israel approves construction of" part of the text refers to the settlement passing the first (called deposit) of multiple stages in the process of getting building permits. The next few steps will be:
1. A two month period for the public to file objections. This includes existing landowners (Palestinians), individuals, NGOs etc.
2. Then there will be a debate about these objections
3. Then the committee will decide on approval for validation (yes/no)
4. If successfully approved for validation applications for building permits can then be submitted.

I would hazard a guess that each of these steps will generate headlines like the one mentioned in OP.

For context: The new settlement (Amichai) is intended to rehouse the families from the Amona settlement which got demolished following the Israeli High Court Rulings of 1997/2003 /2006/2014 + Israeli police investigation in 2014. Amichai is located inside Area C which is administered by Israel under the Oslo II accord.

Additional clarifications to OP: The approval is AFAIK not for 1800 homes in terms of new settlements, but for 102 covering the Amichai settlement [first NEW settlement in ca. 25 years], as well as a series of settlement buildings inside the physical boundaries of already existing settlements blocks.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Expect to see this story in many permutations over the next few years, for the same settlement.

The "Israel approves construction of" part of the text refers to the settlement passing the first (called deposit) of multiple stages in the process of getting building permits. The next few steps will be:
1. A two month period for the public to file objections. This includes existing landowners (Palestinians), individuals, NGOs etc.
2. Then there will be a debate about these objections
3. Then the committee will decide on approval for validation (yes/no)
4. If successfully approved for validation applications for building permits can then be submitted.

I would hazard a guess that each of these steps will generate headlines like the one mentioned in OP.

For context: The new settlement (Amichai) is intended to rehouse the families from the Amona settlement which got demolished following the Israeli High Court Rulings of 1997/2003 /2006/2014 + Israeli police investigation in 2014. Amichai is located inside Area C which is administered by Israel under the Oslo II accord.

Additional clarifications to OP: The approval is AFAIK not for 1800 homes in terms of new settlements, but for 102 covering the Amichai settlement [first NEW settlement in ca. 25 years], as well as a series of settlement buildings inside the physical boundaries of already existing settlements blocks.

Thanks.

I think these sort of threads have just become "let's talk about the conflict again"-sort of topic and never really discuss the topic at hand, which I think we're all at fault for in a certain way. But I don't think an OT or something for that sort of thing would be a good thing so there's no solution.

What about my side of the argument that the issue isn't that Israel has always been the bad guys but rather that Netanyahu's shitty leadership the last 10+ years has undermined all the work that was previously done to try to get peace between Israel and Palestine?

ECC

they cannot leave so, nothing. don't throw rocks at the brave IDF though. They might gun you down.

Yep - it turns out that throwing rocks at people with firearms is generally not a winning strategy. If you want to analyze it the rock paper scissors framework identifies the issue: rock looses to bullet.

Gallbaro

Banned
And yet you have jackasses like Cuomo refusing to award contracts to any company that supports boycott and divest from Israel and this apartheid.

What about my side of the argument that the issue isn't that Israel has always been the bad guys but rather that Netanyahu's shitty leadership the last 10+ years has undermined all the work that was previously done to try to get peace between Israel and Palestine?

I haven't really kept an eye on Israeli politics in the last few years, but is there a lot of stagnation in the Knesset and in the office of the PM? I would imagine that under a parliamentary system that if the people really wanted to force the government to change on the issue of funding, defending and expanding settlements, and assuming an educated population can predict that this would be seen as a big provocation to a continuing violent insurrection, that they'd have supported candidates who opposed Netanyahu long before now.
Instead, Netanyahu promised "No palestinian state under my watch" in 2015 and is still in power. I can't help but think his continued strength in government doesn't draw from the will of the people, unless the Israeli electorate feels duped the same way the British were when Brexit passed and the Israeli campaigners on Bibi's coattails similarly put their hands in their pockets and said 'one mustn't be too hasty now.'

There's a lot I admit to not knowing about Israeli politics and I hesitate to think it's even a majority opinion that continued support for settlements on occupied land are not intertwined with ongoing terror in the region. I merely wish the actions of their leadership reflected that notion and I'm not seeing it. Furthermore it's true that the Palestinian Authority has not been able to even present a unified front in peace talks for at least a decade, so there's lots of 'decades of shitty leadership' accusations to go around, but the Fatah/Hamas division didn't intensify in a vacuum, so I don't buy into JordanN's deflection of blame.

Shit, the first time I even remember hearing about Bibi was in 1996, and it was all favorable. 21 years later people still seem to love him. Guy has a lot of good PR considering he really hasn't changed even a little bit on the palestinian issue.

Sunster

Yep - it turns out that throwing rocks at people with firearms is generally not a winning strategy. If you want to analyze it the rock paper scissors framework identifies the issue: rock looses to bullet.

If I were a soldier and a kid threw a rock in my direction my first thought wouldn't be to shoot him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I just don't understand why the US supports Israel when they pull this shit. It's maddening.

JordanN

Banned
I just don't understand why the US supports Israel when they pull this shit. It's maddening.

Are you looking for a serious answer?

It comes from Cold War politics when Israel took on and single handily defeated neighboring countries that were sponsored by the Soviet Union.

Azuran

Banned
Israel is fucking scum. The fact that they have support from places like the US is absolutely disgusting.

Israeli Settlements in the West Bank have been occurring since 1967. Netanyahu has obsessed over settlements since the 90s when he outlined a plan for Israel to occupy 60% of the West Bank.

They have been built, regardless of the US President or policy, so maybe you should shift your blame elsewhere.

This idea that Israel were always the bad guys is ridiculous.

Or do you think the Oslo Accords were bad for Palestine?

Lil Marco

Banned
fucking disgusting. an illegal state built on stolen land.

At this rate I expect no Palestine within 50 years and we'll have yet another refugee crisis and another corresponding radicalization cycle / terror wave in europe

Humanity needs a reboot.

ECC

Short version: the position is based on the cost-benefit analysis looking at the political, security, economic and foreign policy implications of either choice. That and the US (as a governmental entity) realize that they probably don't have much of a leg to stand on in the "morality" department.

The long answer is way longer and involves a fair amount of (recent)history, historical commitments, and some exposition trying to explain just how costly it would be for the US to "abandon" Israel in the UN in terms of "trustworthiness". This last part is not easy to get a grasp on, but in short, it highlights that the US abandoning a long-term partner (Israel in particular) would most probably lead to fundamental geopolitical shockwaves the outcomes of which most politicians (regardless of country) would probably really hope to avoid. It would essentially void the credibility of the US in most, if not all, of its geopolitical arrangements concerning security (and a whole lot of other topics).

If I manage to find the time I might do a proper write-up on it.

Pikma

Banned

At this rate I expect no Palestine within 50 years and we'll have yet another refugee crisis and another corresponding radicalization cycle / terror wave in europe

Humanity needs a reboot.
There won't be another refugee crisis, most of them will be dead by then...

LNBL

If you remove your feelings and approach the conflict rationally, settlements only exist because Israel doesn't know how safe a Palestinian state next to them will be.

If Israel only wanted to take land "lol because we can" why aren't they expanding into Egypt or Jordan?

The settlement debacle can only end when the Palestinians actually form a government that can cooperate with Israel. Otherwise, what do you expect to happen? Even if they pulled out every settlement tomorrow, how will the Israelis know a bomb wont go off in their mall or pizza shop?

Saying "im not defending settlements" doesn't change what you are saying. These Israeli settlements are illegal under international law, I don't care what story you try to spin around it.

ECC

There won't be another refugee crisis, most of them will be dead by then...

Maybe dial the hyperbole down a notch or two? I get what you are going for - and it is not like the Palestinians have had much progress to look at, but I don't think there is any data to support your statement. (i.e. look at the historical population numbers for the region - they can't support your statement).

Are you looking for a serious answer?

It comes from Cold War politics when Israel took on and single handily defeated neighboring countries that were sponsored by the Soviet Union.

There's a lot more to it than that... any American politician that doesn't share their sole to israels interests will be labelled an anti Semite, will miss out on cash for getting elected or relected and can kiss good by to their political career.

Ive just realised ive replied to the pro Israeli defender Stan, nvm.

Lil Marco

Banned

because the white countries gotta look out for one another. this is a race war at its core. the zionist political platform of israel literally wants to take over palestine and install a jewish state.

america likes this because they are also built from a similar trajectory (white colonialism of the "new world" which belonged to indigenous peoples). they also got buddy buddy with israel during the cold war.

ECC

If I were a soldier and a kid threw a rock in my direction my first thought wouldn't be to shoot him.

Post have been edited since people disagreed with my choice of words:
If you were a soldier I somehow doubt that you would let yourself be hit by those stones either.

Original post:
If you were a soldier I somehow doubt that you would let yourself be stoned either (literally).

Pusherman

Humanity needs a reboot.

Palestine never had a shot at existing. Israeli politicians set out to control the entirety of "Greater Israel" from the very start. The Two-State solution is nothing but a red herring used to keep in place the current status quo. The only actual possible solution has always been a single secular state covering current day Palestine and Israel.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If you were a soldier I somehow doubt that you would let yourself be stoned either (literally).

Don't use words unless you know what they mean.

JordanN

Banned
because the white countries gotta look out for one another. this is a race war at its core. the zionist political platform of israel literally wants to take over palestine and install a jewish state. america likes it because they are also built from a similar trajectory (white colonialism)
Israel is white?

NLAyWFS.jpg

Anyone can be Jewish.

Top Bottom