• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Knesset passes "anti-Infiltration Law" [indefinite detention of asylum seeker]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://972mag.com/nstt_feeditem/knesset-passes-new-version-of-law-for-detention-of-asylum-seekers/

Israel’s Knesset passed a new version of the “anti-Infiltration Law” early Tuesday morning, replacing an amendment that was struck down by the High Court of Justice nearly three months ago. The new amendment allows for the detention without trial of asylum seekers for one year. Additionally, it allows for the indefinite detention of asylum seekers in an “open prison facility.”

The law will come into effect in 48 hours.

I'll update the thread accordingly as more news get brought in.

Racism against African asylum seekers has long been rampant in Israel.

Here is another article describing the conditions that these asylum seekers go through when they reach Israel.

http://972mag.com/a-year-in-review-anti-african-racism-and-asylum-seekers-in-israel/

In the beginning of November, two Israeli NGOs released a report documenting the devastating conditions under which the Israeli government holds African asylum seekers against their will. At the Saharonim detention facility, where thousands of men, women and children are cramped into crowded conditions and exposed to the harsh desert, there is a shortage of medical care, there are no education or recreation facilities, and they are allowed no privacy or visitors....

Here a video of one anti-immigration demonstration, with member of the Knesset, Michael Ben-Ari, holding a speech describing these African asylum seekers as "those who want to destroy our country."

Further describing a Mayor in the town of Eilat doing a "great job with the Africans there."

He further explains this "great job" as being: "He doesn't allow them to attend schools, he restricts their movements, he knows what to do."

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein." - Friedrich Nietzsche, 1886

Translation: "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

Bizarrely ironic that such words came from a German, yet a quote that I feel serves aptly as a warning to Israel, one which I feel they are far past taking heed of.

casabolg

Banned
I'm alright with people wanting to be anti-immigration and can support the idea of a community identity but the efforts Israel takes to be anti-immigration are absolutely horrible. It's well past time that they be publically reprimanded for it by the UN.

mandiller

We go one step further in Australia. We ship our asylum seekers off to a detention centre in Papua New Guinea where they are locked up for months and years and legally they are never allowed to come back and resettle in Australia.

casabolg

Banned
We go one step further in Australia. We ship our asylum seekers off to a detention centre in Papua New Guinea where they are locked up for months and years and legally they are never allowed to come back and resettle in Australia.

If they wish to be anti-immigration what is wrong with just saying no to them at the door? Goodness.

Mohonky

If they wish to be anti-immigration what is wrong with just saying no to them at the door? Goodness.

I think its suppose to be a deterent. A lot of asylum seeker boats get into trouble and Aus naval ships have to rescue people, though many die on the trips over here from sinking boats. I think the government looks more at the economical cost of patrolling, detaining, rescue and processing and backs their anti-immigration stance on that.

Dash_

Wouldn't surprise me if the so-called developed nations end up developing an 'immigrant isle' beween themselves to send people. To the best of my knowledge, we have indefinite detention of asylum seekers in the UK as well.

I'm curious to see anyone defending that one.

i'll shoot.

Israel is a small nation that has limited resources. it is not capable of handling an infinite number of asylum seekers.

furthermore, incoming asylum do not speak the language, are most likely to have low education, and thus, cannot effectively contribute to the small nation's economy. add on the fact that the current unemployment rate at 6% and you see why they won't want more mouth to feed.

of course, they can just send the people back, but then you'll have people saying they're sending these people back to their death in Africa.

so either way, Israel loses. at least this way, perhaps the threat of long detention can help stop asylum seekers from trying in the first place.

i'll shoot.

Israel is a small nation that has limited resources. it is not capable of handling an infinite number of asylum seekers.

furthermore, incoming asylum do not speak the language, are most likely to have low education, and thus, cannot effectively contribute to the small nation's economy. add on the fact that the current unemployment rate at 6% and you see why they won't want more mouth to feed.

of course, they can just send the people back, but then you'll have people saying they're sending these people back to their death in Africa.

so either way, Israel loses. at least this way, perhaps the threat of long detention can help stop asylum seekers from trying in the first place.

Cool. Next you can do forced sterilization of Ethiopian women, Should be an easy one.

casabolg

Banned
i'll shoot.

There are a lot of fine anti-immigration stances. However, I believe the "indefinite detention" part is what he's wondering if anyone would defend.

kurbaan

Banned
i'll shoot.

Yeah maybe the USA, Palestine and all those European countries that sheltered jewish refugees from WW2 should have threatened them with detention too.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Interestingly from what I've read, no Israeli representatives will be going to Nelson Mandela's funeral.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/knesset-speaker-edelstein-to-lead-delegation-to-mandela-memorial/

And I thought Australia was bad.

Israel is an aparthied state.

Australia seems worse actually. Israel really is not an apartheid state, it has some major problems, but calling it apartheid obscures the real issues. I also don't know what their immigration stance has to do with apartheid.

Anyway, according to Haaretz, experts believe that this will be struck down by the courts.

DrSlek

http://www.timesofisrael.com/knesset-speaker-edelstein-to-lead-delegation-to-mandela-memorial/

Australia seems worse actually. Israel really is not an apartheid state, it has some major issues, but calling it apartheid obscures the real issues. I also don't know what their immigration stance has to do with apartheid.

Anyway, according to Haaretz, experts believe that this will be struck down by the courts.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middl...-skip-mandela-funeral-201312916226446158.html

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Yes? My link also states that neither Netanyahu nor Shimon Peres are going to attend. But you said that there will be "no Israeli representatives," which is not true. Just to add, the Dalai Lama will also not be attending, and Turkey won't have any representation. I am sure there are others as well. I don;t think it necessarily means anything.

Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein was scheduled to lead a delegation of six Knesset members to South Africa Monday night to represent Israel at a memorial service for Nelson Mandela on Tuesday.

Edelstein is accompanied by Knesset Members Penina Tamanu-Shata (Yesh Atid), Nitzan Horowitz (Meretz), Gila Gamliel (Likud), Hilik Bar (Labor), and Dov Lipman (Yesh Atid).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom