• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s way past time for the corporate bootlicking to stop

Anyone who is pro multi-layered authentication/DRM is a corporate bootlicker by default.

I really don't understand how anyone can be ok with it considering we saw what happened to all the GFWL games (even those purchased on Steam) and then more recently what Ubisoft has pulled with the crew. There is always zero benefit to the consumer, it doesn't matter whether it's EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, or whoever. There are no exceptions and nobody has ever been able to logically explain to me why PC gamers should have to put up with it.

Bunch of cucks really.
Don't play on PC? 🤷‍♂️ Do whatever you want. It's called free will.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

A case studio on the power of community would be fascinating and the aftermath of all this will be interesting (review bomb reversal, Sony's next moves, etc.).

My favorite part of all this was the some of the responses to Sony's tweet of "we are listening to you and still trying to navigate the PC market" with something akin to this:

Not because the petty and cynical vocal minorities give me more reasons to want every human dead, but anything that makes me think of Bill Hicks makes me happy.

bill-hicks-free.gif

Saber

Gold Member
The extreme cases are the ones people should worry about. Those idiots who keep parroting the GP stuff, cases like this one with dumb people saying "but it's just a few minutes to register" and the infamous PC master race and their pixels/raytracing dementia.
At this point it's probably orchestrated blind fanboyism by the corpos. Like that example of "evangilize", pretty sure Sony and others do that as well. Theres a limit to stupidity, no way one would defend a corpo when sometimes they keep doing disservice against them.

tenor.gif

I've been gaming on PC longer than most of you lapsed Xbox soyboys have been alive.

Maybe you should simply stick to console if you're willing to embrace getting screwed.
Well, not that it matters at all. But I do recommend Xbox over other consoles. But PC is preferable, depending on genre and preferred playstyle. And I doubt we're much different in age. My first console was NES. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

GHG

Well, not that it matters at all. But I do recommend Xbox over other consoles. But PC is preferable, depending on genre and playstyle.

Of course you do. Goes with the territory of being "fine" with the additional DRM and logins that have been shoved down people's throats over the years.

Alebrije

Corporations want your money, they don't care if You get sick, of You Lost your job, if You are happy or if You are living the dream...they only care You keep consuming their products.

They disguise this with "Nice" people, mascots or wathever they can use to keep You on their Side.

450_1000.webp

Mickey-Mouse-sera-propiedad-de-todos-1.jpg

Yoshida%20Shuhei-kDP-U180675714310eAC-624x385@El%20Correo.png

It's this Evil? Not because corporations are Made to get money no Friends. The problem is people that becomes fan or Even fanatic of a brand. In gaming we call them console Warriors, on music grupies, sports fanatics, they Will defend a brand /artist/team over their own dignity.

So if You enjoy their products it's fine but never defend a corporation, they simple don't care..it's not worth it.

Of course you do. Goes with the territory of being "fine" with the additional DRM and logins that have been shoved down people's throats over the years.
I don't have to do any of that on my Xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy: But you seem salty so that's fine. Go ahead and feel what you're feeling, my man

nikos

Ok, Poordaddy.

There's nothing stopping all of that from being attached to an optional sign up within the game.

It should not be a requirement to even boot the game.

You need an account to access pretty much anything else in the world.

Only gamers cry about this type of shit, for a hobby that arguably needs account related services more than any other.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it's a dangerous position to take that anytime someone argues for a particular position, that they are boot lickers or think they need to defend the multi billion dollar company.

Very similar to saying a person is pro goverment if they agree with one thing the goverment is doing, Or anti goverment if they disagree with one thing.

People aren't betroven or dumb because they care or don't care about a particular video game company decision.

Case in point: One could flip the script and say that any person who complains about an extra login is a overentitled, lazy, winy little baby who has nothing better to do that complain about video games. Now we know that's not true, the truth lies in the middle somewhere as it always does, but you could just as easily have started the thread with "the whining must stop".

I think it's a dangerous position to take that anytime someone argues for a particular position, that they are boot lickers or think they need to defend the multi billion dollar company.

Very similar to saying a person is pro goverment if they agree with one thing the goverment is doing, Or anti goverment if they disagree with one thing.

People aren't betroven or dumb because they care or don't care about a particular video game company decision.

Case in point: One could flip the script and say that any person who complains about an extra login is a overentitled, lazy, winy little baby who has nothing better to do that complain about video games. Now we know that's not true, the truth lies in the middle somewhere as it always does, but you could just as easily have started the thread with "the whining must stop".

Sounds like something a bootlicker would say

I know what you are getting at and I don’t disagree really but the pure fact that you said Sony warriors tells me that you aren’t much better. You just probably belong to a different camp then them.

You shouldn’t pledge allegiance to anything or any company/goverment/whatever. None of them care about you. Sony doesn’t care about you and neither does Microsoft/Nintendo/Intel/Nvidia/AMD/etc.

I have preferences but if Apple did something bad enough then I’d switch back to Windows for my daily computing needs, or switch to android, or switch to AMD or Xbox or insert whatever.

You aren’t better then anybody else (not directed aimed at OP) because you play your games on PC or PS or Xbox or wherever and nobody should care where somebody else plays their games/does their daily needs either.

Speaking to the Helldivers shit. I could care less about signing into a free fucking account. Did I use that as an opportunity to try to get a refund for a game I don’t care much about though? Yeah. Got denied though.

Last edited:
I haven't followed this too closely as I don't play Helldivers, and would actually prefer my gaming on any system to be recorded on either my PSN or Xbox accounts so I thought it was a storm in a teacup, but if, as seems to be the case, Sony sold a game that they then changed the requirements to play and locked out people who had already bought it, then pass me my pitchfork :messenger_tears_of_joy:

WTF is going on over there?

GHG

I don't have to do any of that on my Xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy: But you seem salty so that's fine. Go ahead and feel what you're feeling, my man

You will have had to at some point but you won't have noticed because you're so obedient to these corporations.

So like I said stick to your console, your attitude is better suited in that environment.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
  • Access to games purchased on a platform is bound to adherence to an ever shifting terms of service. Purchased licences become inaccessible should any user fall afoul of platform rules. This essentially locks the consumer out from access to their library. Absolutely unacceptable regardless of the offence. At a minimum, consumers must be able to access purchased licences for extraction or provided refunds for each inaccessible licence
I agree with everything you posted - but this point in particular I will say is getting better (thanks in part to people complaining enough that these companies ran into serious legal trouble). I myself personally sued Microsoft a while back for this very issue.

Valve, Microsoft, and Epic will now just restrict your account's ability to purchase if the account gets banned for any reason. Sony and Apple are the big holdouts on this, and if your account is banned for any reason then your digital games go up in smoke.

You will have had to at some point but you won't have noticed because you're so obedient to these corporations.

So like I said stick to your console, your attitude is better suited in that environment.
:rolleyes: Good grief. Get over yourself, bro

Not everyone believes what you believe. It's called life. Ya know, something you claim to know a lot about on account of your age

Last edited:

GHG

:rolleyes: Good grief. Get over yourself, bro

Not everyone believes what you believe. It's called life. Ya know, something you claim to know a lot about on account of your age

Yeh exactly, hence in this instance people made a big enough fuss and got something that doesn't have any benefit to them removed.

Shocking, I know. Hope you don't get too upset next time people are against all these logins and accounts you seem to love so much.

Yeh exactly, hence in this instance people made a big enough fuss and got something that doesn't have any benefit to them removed.

Shocking, I know. Hope you don't get too upset next time people are against all these logins and accounts you seem to love so much.
Your words/ assumptions. Not mine 🤷‍♂️

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would agree if we're not for Nintendo 🤷‍♂️. I'll put shoe polish on my tongue for Nintendo.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Time to vote with your wallet and apply critical thinking towards your purchases. Unless you know a game will last you longer then a fortnight probably shouldn't buy on release day and wait several months for 50% sale. Games that released 10 years ago are leagues better then the ones being made today. Got to pick and choose what new games to buy wisely and some of these games may as well be still in beta test phase and you need to wait 1-2 years before the game is actually in a complete state.

I think unless a game is so well crafted I can keep coming back to it to net 200+ hours then I probably shouldn't even consider purchasing unless it's a absolute steal($15 or less). And by 200+ hours I of course mean replayability due to the engaging gameplay it provides you with.

Most games these days that have that 100+ hours of content crap but most of it is really boring checklist kind of stuff that more often then not makes you lose interest and quit playing entirely.

Given the "quality" of current game output I think my personal purchases are going to decrease drastically.

GHG

Your words/ assumptions. Not mine 🤷‍♂️

Not really:

Nothing important. We just need threads like this every so often or somehow the earth won't remain on it's rotational axis or something.

PS mandated PS accounts for all Helldivers 2 players by 5/30, and lots of people were mad, and they reversed course. The earth has been saved once again by the angry mob fighting for the cause. :messenger_tears_of_joy:. We're all winners (losers)!!

tenor.gif

Dural

I bought a Large Screen TV, Fridge, Washer and Dryer at the same time, all manufactured in South Korea, It's been 3 years and these are the worst appliances I've ever owned. Expensive with parts that are already wearing out.
My tongue is off the Samsung boot.

Yep, I bought a package of Samsung appliances when we bought our house (fridge, microwave, stove, dishwasher, washer, and dryer) and the stove and microwave are the only two I like. The dishwasher is broke, the ice maker on the fridge broke, and the washer and dryer just aren't that good (shouldn't have gone front load). I've also previously had a Samsung fridge that had the ice maker go out and destroy the fridge and the replacement LG that I got had a failed inverter linear compressor (luckily this was a known issue and LG fixed it for free and refunded the cost of food in the fridge). The ice maker on the LG also failed. I've also had an LG microwave go out in our previous house. It's insane how shitty appliances have gotten.

Corporations want your money, they don't care if You get sick, of You Lost your job, if You are happy or if You are living the dream...they only care You keep consuming their products.

They disguise this with "Nice" people, mascots or wathever they can use to keep You on their Side.

450_1000.webp

Mickey-Mouse-sera-propiedad-de-todos-1.jpg

Yoshida%20Shuhei-kDP-U180675714310eAC-624x385@El%20Correo.png

It's this Evil? Not because corporations are Made to get money no Friends. The problem is people that becomes fan or Even fanatic of a brand. In gaming we call them console Warriors, on music grupies, sports fanatics, they Will defend a brand /artist/team over their own dignity.

So if You enjoy their products it's fine but never defend a corporation, they simple don't care..it's not worth it.
Yes, and this is also why private companies should never write laws.

Bry0

steam requires an account but the benefits from the consumer’s perspective outweigh the costs/perceived costs of having to make that account and download that client.

Sony could be in the same position, but in this particular case they tried to retroactively REQUIRE the account months after the game launched, and customers do not currently see why this would benefit them, all they see are the costs with little to no benefits.

It’s simply a matter of service. If customers feel they are getting value out of this there wouldn’t be an uproar. The onus is on Sony to prove how this integration will benefit gamers.

At the end of the day they got tons of value out of the data collected, and if the service doesn’t provide any value to you as a user in return, then I think people have every right to be upset.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They just wanted another storefront device.

Your lack of valve games on that steam deck just proves my point
Of all the companies in the world, it's shocking to me see Valve having haters... Like, you gotta think hard to get the "but they make no games" as something bad and consumer abusing lol

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm still upset they made me create an account and install a client to play my physical copy of Half Life 2.
That was more than 20 years ago, even then they've done only good to me, their lows tend to be kinda flat anyway compared to other companies, god bless private ownership

Killjoy-NL

If nothing else, the Helldivers fiasco only reinforced my love of my platform of choice - Steam.

Consumer friendly and consumer first features are the real winners today. Having a storefront that allows verified purchase user reviews and a generous refund policy really helped tip the scales in the consumer's favor this time.
So basically "my company is better than yours"

Top Bottom