• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It costs 88 EUR to buy all of Mass Effect's DLC on PC *sigh*

Here's all the DLC for ME2:

p8TlCTE.jpg

Here's all the DLC for ME3:

jQXk6A4.jpg

And here's how much BioWare points cost:

6b5dS2Z.jpg

So you need a total of 8400 BioWare points (ME2 - 3600; ME3 - 4800) if you want all DLC, that's 5x1600 and 1x800 BP costing a whopping 88 EUR.

Why.jpg~original

WTF BioWare, why? Why is this still a thing?
AFAIK, they never go on sale and do you really expect people to buy this at these prices?
I know Aaryn reads GAF so I hope he chimes in but this is ridiculous and infuriating.

/rant

Pretty sure you should be pissed at EA, not BioWare

The worst part is that there is NO other way to get them. It's a shitty way to wrap you into using EA's services directly.

Taker34

Banned
EA could fund a basic remaster but nah. They'd rather see a few idiots spending 88 € for 5 year old DLC instead of gaining potentially a million new fans with a 60 € remaster collection.

Yeah this is just sad. They really need to release a trilogy remaster with all DLC.
I want to play the trilogy again with DLC so bad. But the price is just insane.

haimon

Why are you looking to add so much dlc that is cosmetics and weapon packs?

Why not just sum up the dlc that's actually worth it, the mission stuff?

My opinion of Mass Effect 3 changed drastically because of the DLC. It's not just essential - It gave most of the feels. The best companion, the best side mission, and the best character development.

Angel_DvA

Yeah it's a joke and that's why I never bite on Mass Effect trilogy on PC, it's why I'm still playing them on consoles...

It's why I wish EA would have make a ME Remastered trilogy on new gen with all the DLCs.

I wonder if Steam's focus on discounting DLC during sales (because DLC is usually on the game's store page rather than being its own store entry or hidden in-game) was a major turn-off for EA.

Mind you, they've discounted DLC in other games, albeit often slowly, if Battlefield's example shows us anything.

JNT

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, although I admit I don't know how much gameplay the DLC adds in total. The fact that you have to get "points" to buy the DLC is stupid however.

randomwab

When EA stopped putting their games on Steam all those years ago, I was sure they were just giving Origin a PC timed exclusive and a year or two later, they'd put complete collections up on Steam to really push further numbers and to include them in sales. I'm still amazed to this day that they haven't gone through with that idea, it just seems to be leaving so much money on the table locking them into Origin, especially since most people just won't buy those games because of the platform. I know a lot of people who haven't bought the Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Crysis 3 and the last few Battlefields because they're not on Steam.

I know it's not directly related to the OP's issue (which is insane in itself), but it just seems like EA really don't care about PC at all, and are still bitter about Origin being pretty distant behind Steam.

It's also weird that they haven't just released complete collections. Dragon Age 1 and 3 had complete collections now, but the second and none of the Mass Effects do. Just silly.

gogogow

I never understood the concept of "points". Let's use real money to buy (Bioware) points, then use those points to buy the DLC. Maybe they should've an extra step, like Mass Effect points, Dragon Age points!

Yep, it's the main reason I'd like to see an HD Collection. I bought all the ME2 DLC as it came out, so the price wasn't such a big deal Five years down the line it hasn't been discounted at all, though, even when the games themselves regularly go on sale for $5. The ME3 DLC I haven't yet bought would cost me $50, and will still cost me $50 no matter how long I wait. Rather pay $60 for all the games and all the DLC.

When EA stopped putting their games on Steam all those years ago, I was sure they were just giving Origin a PC timed exclusive and a year or two later, they'd put complete collections up on Steam to really push further numbers and to include them in sales. I'm still amazed to this day that they haven't gone through with that idea, it just seems to be leaving so much money on the table locking them into Origin, especially since most people just won't buy those games because of the platform. I know a lot of people who haven't bought the Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Crysis 3 and the last few Battlefields because they're not on Steam.

I know it's not directly related to the OP's issue (which is insane in itself), but it just seems like EA really don't care about PC at all, and are still bitter about Origin being pretty distant behind Steam.

It's also weird that they haven't just released complete collections. Dragon Age 1 and 3 had complete collections now, but the second and none of the Mass Effects do. Just silly.

I think in the long-term they want to build up their own "brand" on PC through Origin, even if it means they are losing sales on some games (probably not BF) at the moment.

I'm surprised they haven't put EA Access on PC, though. There's no platform holders to consult with, and they have a relatively mature PC infrastructure in Origin through which to distribute the service.

Grief.exe

I wonder if Steam's focus on discounting DLC during sales (because DLC is usually on the game's store page rather than being its own store entry or hidden in-game) was a major turn-off for EA.

Mind you, they've discounted DLC in other games, albeit often slowly, if Battlefield's example shows us anything.

I never understood the concept of "points". Let's use real money to buy (Bioware) points, then use those points to buy the DLC. Maybe they should've an extra step, like Mass Effect points, Dragon Age points!

Bioware Points were EA's attempt to circumvent Valve taking a 30% cut. EA sells the Points from their website, and then activates the content in-game.

EA ended up just leaving Steam entirely, but their broken systems are still left entirely.

Wulfram

They've gotten rid of Bioware points for DAI and future titles.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I bought the trilogy for cheap without realizing the state of the DLC. Refuse to buy it with Bioware points that never go on sale. Will wait for the remastered or GOTY edition even if it takes 20 years.

Percy

Banned
No wonder EA never did GOTY editions for these. That is certainly quite the racket they have going with those BW points.

Lol, it seems to me you are bitter because EA didn't release games on your preferred digital platform of choice.

Zemm

Yeah I had to use it for the ME2 dlc and it was a horrible process. A trilogy remaster with all dlc makes too much sense for EA which means it won't happen.

antitrop

It's so you have to buy more than you will probably spend. Was a big issue with MS points for buying XBLA games and shit.

Always had a bit left over after every purchase.

randomwab

Lol, it seems to me you are bitter because EA didn't release games on your preferred digital platform of choice.

Maybe, but I myself have bought stuff on Origin. If anything, I'm bitter because no one else I know will use the platform so stuff like Battlefield 3/4 and Mass Effect 3's multi was something I completely missed out on, not wanting to play those multi on my own.

Gilgamesh

I assume they hope people buy a large amount of points at once but not spend them all. I don't think they have to record revenue until the points are actually used, so they would gain cash without having any taxable income for it.

JNT

With point packs the companies can motivate consumers to spend more money than they need to by deliberately pricing their content in such a way that there are points left unspent after a purchase regardless if the consumer needs to buy an additional point pack in order to complete said purchase. This seems to be true even in this case (with a few obvious exceptions).

tokkun

Price discrimination is the purpose of DLC. People who care about value will just buy the base game for $10 and be happy with that. The DLC is there because they know there is a fraction of people who will pay a lot more because money is no object to them or because they are obsessive completionists.

Yeah it's pretty bullshit, I am one of Bioware's, I don't know how many remain, still rabid fans, yet there's only 2 DLC (not counting awakening coming with the DAO ultimate edition) of them I bought. Jaws of Hakkon which was okish and Shadow Broker which was absolutely fantastic.

Heck I ran all across town trying to get the N7 edition for Mass Effect 3

Zojirushi

This shit is the reason I played naked ass DLC-less Mass Effect 3 on PC when that went on sale and to this day I feel like I missed half the game. I just couldn't justify spending multiple times the money on DLC than I spent on the main game.

Mass Effect 3, still one of the biggest bummers in modern gaming history, it's kind of incredible how they managed to fuck up like almost every aspect of this game.

I'm too bitter, it's still a good game but MAN the potential :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EA pricing for BioWare DLC is the worst, and if Inquisition is anything to go by only getting worse. Origin's pricing for each Inquisition DLC pack is AU$24.99, so you're looking at ~$75 for all three. It's super gross.

Why do you feel like you should have this DLC for cheap? Because it's a couple years old?

I find the devaluing of games that aren't brand new to be really concerning.

Hypron

Why do you feel like you should have this DLC for cheap? Because it's a couple years old?

Yes? Most other games are dirt cheap by that point. I don't see what's "concerning" about it.

Wulfram

Because you can get full games of similar quality and much greater length for a fraction of the price.

Denton

Yep. And I actually bought them all when I finally went to do my trilogy playthrough. Now, it was great, but the pricing is insane and EA can fuck off with that. Or better yet, look at CD Projekt and how they do things.
But EA won't because fuck you give me money that's why.

Yes. Obviously. All products lose value with age, games are no exception. Case in point, Mass Effect 2 and 3 are now priced at $20 apiece, regularly dropping to $5 during sales. The DLC is as expensive as the day it was released.

EA pricing for BioWare DLC is the worst, and if Inquisition is anything to go by only getting worse. Origin's pricing for each Inquisition DLC pack is AU$24.99, so you're looking at ~$75 for all three. It's super gross.
But at least there is a GOTY Edition coming for DA:I

Ratrat

Good thing the games are routinely on sale for $5. Spending $30 for dlc isnt too bad. At least the good ones.

Annubis

Forgot the Mass Effect (1) DLC:

Bring Down the Sky
$1.00 / £0.65
(Free on PC. Included in the Xbox 360 Platinum Hits Edition of Mass Effect and the PC and PlayStation 3 editions of Mass Effect Trilogy.)

Pinnacle Station
$4.99 / £3.99
(Included in the PC edition of Mass Effect Trilogy.)

KKRT00

Yep, this is a reason i have not played Mass Effect 3's SP yet.
Bioware make a promotion! Tons of people are waiting for it.

Red Hood

Banned
It's fucking ridiculous. The worst part is that DLC on XBLA and PSN frequently get discounted whereas on Origin I've literally never seen it discounted. You'd think an in-house service like Origin would have more discounts on their own games, or a discount to begin with.

Omega

Banned

what? everything decreases in price over time.

TVs, computer parts, movies, etc.

At some point it's not worth selling whatever you were selling at a premium price and it becomes a better option to sell it at a cheaper price point to get more sales. It doesn't devalue the product at all

It's fucking ridiculous. The worst part is that DLC on XBLA and PSN frequently get discounted whereas on Origin I've literally never seen it discounted. You'd think an in-house service like Origin would have more discounts on their own games, or a discount to begin with.

There was only one time it being cheap to get, Amazon has a Mass Effect 2 collection that comes with like 3000 bioware points or something and normally it's $50 but they sold it for $20. it was a one day thing, and it's never been that price again..

Mr_Zombie

Because you can buy an all-new, non-discounted version of Mass Effect 3 straight from Origin for 29.99PLN (~7.11 euro) while 800 Bioware Points (price of From Ashes and Leviathan DLC; 2/3 price of Omega and Citadel DLC) costs 33PLN (7.82 euro). You really don't see how absurd it is that a single DLC is costing more than a full game?

Garlador

THIS, more than better graphics or performance, is why we need a re-release of all content.

I can't even imagine playing the games without some of the DLC. A lot of it is pretty essential. It's like buying a novel with chapters missing, including entire characters and story beats.

So I won't stop saying we need a remaster complete edition. The games deserve it.

Top Bottom