• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It feels like Capcom is one of the last real ones who still make sick-ass games

[Sigma]

Yes, in Capcom I trust. Finishing up DMCV:SE, got one trophy left that im going to wait on getting. I was playing a bunch of the Capcom Fighting Collection recently which was fun messing with older fighting games from the past. Street Fighter 6 right around the corner and that game is awesome already from what I played in the beta and the full game i'm already putting down as fighting game of the year.

Now the wait for Pragmata and Dragon's Dogma II updates. I'm excited for those.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot Ghost Trick Remastered. Gotta get that too.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
For my personal tastes, I struggle with Capcom beyond RE and DMC, but I definitely wouldn't trade their place in the industry and culture for anything. Capcom, properties down to logos, just fill me with nostalgia and hobby pride and memories of cozy ass weekends during high school with a Friday night thunderstorm playing RE2.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Capcom is awesome, but can they please give Street Fighter a rest and give us:

Darkstalkers 4
Power Stone 3
Capcom vs SNK 3

stickkidsam

Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Megaman X; they've got so many great series that I dig.

Even their usage of microtransactions is minimal. Gotta respect that (except in cases like RE4 Remake lol). Now if they could just make Megaman Legends 3...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Capcom was, is and always will be.

tumblr_m7diejYZoI1r06m1wo1_500.gif

Incredibubble.

SSfox

I've been saying this many times before, Capcom are one of the best if not best in the last few years, at making real games with quality and variety, hope they'll keep up, and as long they do they will keep getting my money.

Oh didn't notice the OP, for once a thread that isn't full of BS

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
They make good games, but the variety and creativity of their output has collapsed and if you don't care about Resident Evil, Monster Hunter or Street Fighter there's very little you can get from them right now.

Compare to the past where they created games as varied as Power Stone, Haunting Ground, Steel Battallion, Maximo, Onimusha, God Hand, Okami, Ghost Trick, Lost Planet, all their different fighting game IPs like Darkstalkers/Vampire, Rival Schools, Capcom vs SNK... Now they only have Exoprimal that no one cares about and that Pragmata thing that seems to be a new Deep Down.
All of those came from an era when making games was cheaper and faster so it was safer for them to gamble on new IP and have higher output. Right now making first party games costs millions and require teams of hundreds so they're simply sticking to things that turn a profit and I don't blame them for doing that. At least they're not putting all of their eggs in one basket like Activision does with Call of Duty. They are still able to run multiple IPs with several highly acclaimed games coming out of each of those franchises. That's still fucking amazing.

Exoprimal is also a big gamble for them but if it pans out then they have another banger in their portfolio with a potential to become a more lasting product.

No more Crapcom?

Capcom have always been a brilliant 3rd party developer. Loads of good games still coming out from other developers' mind.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Capcom have had a bit of a journey in the last decade. After RE6 and a general trough after their PS2 peak they went back to the drawing board, and it worked. They put the effort in and regained credibility.

They still make mistakes, like RE3R, but their average is high enough. I'll eventually get DMC5, and like many others I'm patiently waiting for DD2. If it's anything like the original, we're in for a treat. I just hope they iron out their technical problems, because that seems to be what holds them back recently.

GymWolf

I only care for MH, their third person RE (some of them) and maybe dogma 2 if they can make the rest of the game as good as the combat.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
But I really hated that PvP element during PvE combat, if the game is gonna be just that then it's a nope from me.
They've clarified it has pve and story content
  • Missions without direct combat between players where victory is determined by completing player-versus-environment objectives as quick as possible.
  • 10-player cooperative missions with a variety of objectives and even fiercer dinosaurs.
  • Five-player missions that rotate weekly with global leaderboards for fastest completion time.
  • A variety of maps, including the Dam and Volcanic Base.
Story Content

• Story-related missions in Dino Survival
  • Cutscenes and the Analysis Map, where players can explore Exoprimal’s story and the mysteries surrounding the sinister A.I. Leviathan and parallel worlds.

Capcom have certainly turned their brand image around after the PS3/Xbox 360 era, where everybody seemed to collectively hate the company as much as EA and Activision.
This never happened, complete hyperbole they were never hated by everyone, just a loud few screechers as always.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I hope the street fighter 6 is awesome, I feel that apart from the first one. I don’t think they have really lost the touch. All the mainline SF games have been great
Yeah I know five was barebones and all, oh XTekken was made by them.
Oh

Cringe Reaction GIF

That had the whole DLC BS and MTX
Bad capcom

But compared to Konami they are in a better position and making better games.
old school gamer here and capcom and Konami were the best third party back in the day (never played rpg games so square wasn’t my thing) for the games I liked and the diversity of games they produced.

But I hope capcom continue to do well and release more switch games. Not on cloud.

Ok thanks.

I absolutely love the Resident Evil remakes and Village was good, but I don’t really care for anything else that they put out.

IMO their best era was the PS2 era.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They are just coasting really though… remakes and the same old series without really pushing anything new in those series.

But that’s everything right now with HIFI Rush being the only great totally new game I can think of .

Drizzlehell

Banned
They are just coasting really though… remakes and the same old series without really pushing anything new in those series.

But that’s everything right now with HIFI Rush being the only great totally new game I can think of .
They consistently put out great games in multiple different IPs. How is that "coasting"? Especially in this day and age when you're lucky if any given publisher has more than 2 big IPs still active to their name.

I don't like their monetary practices but I play most Capcom franchises like Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, and Street Fighter. And I'm actually curious about what the hell Pragmata is all about, not even saying SF6, Dragon's Dogma 2, Resident Evil 9/RE5 Remake.

hyperbertha

They make quality games but all of their games are starting too look the same. Visual design is also becoming generic. It's probably the engine being reused.

Mr.Phoenix

Idk how I feel about this one. They make good stuff, but they also have only 3 IPs that are worth anything. And I only care about one of those 3.

If anything, I would say they are generally just safe. How many new IPs have they made in say the last 10 years.

MH has been nothing more of a rehash since its inception. They basically took their OG RE4 mechanics and remade every RE games based on that with modern mechanics and qol features. The boldest thing they have done with the franchise was going to FPS in 7. SF is well... SF.

They make quality games but all of their games are starting too look the same. Visual design is also becoming generic. It's probably the engine being reused.
Funny enough, the engine used has nothing to do with the artistic direction a game takes. They look the same not because of the engine but the artists working on it. Proof? can you believe that SF6 is also built on the RE engine?

Last edited:

pepodmc_

Though they have entered a malaise of over-relying on Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Street Fighter. Any new IPs are either in development hell or become live service bullshit that is destined for spectacular failure.
Megaman 11 was the best selling game in the franchise, devil may cry 5 too, that will be the case with dragon dogma 2 too.
Ghost & goblins resurrection (i dont know how much it sale)
There are rumours of a new onimusha, pragmatta doesnt seems to ve a live service game (we dont know yet, but it doesnt seems a live service)

Give capcom some time. After those dark years between 2010 and 2017, i dont have a problem with them accumulating all the money they can with resident evil and monster hunter, because of those games will come the money to make games for the other capcom franchises.
Now capcom can make a street fighter without having to do
exclusivity agreements with sony for example.

Last edited:

Madjaba

Welcome to Hyperbole Land !

Can we talk about the fact that it seems they can't create new games anymore though and rely heavily on Monster Hunter / Street Fighter / Resident Evil and the everlasting games compilations ?

Kudos for The Great Ace Attorney Collection though, it was a joy to see this coming West.

Last edited:

The Stig

Theyre definitely in my good graces these days.

However, I will never ever forget the fact they put DLC on the SF4 disc AT LAUNCH.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They're easily my favourite developer, the only thing I have against them is the whole stupid Skort business.
And they need to give the new Resident Evil entries to Team 1 so they can make a new RE in the style of the Remakes.
but as Team 2 can't seem to deliver the Remakes as good as them ( You have one job with RE3R and you fucked it up)
I don't trust them to do them either.
They should just merge the Teams and have Team in charge.

jcorb

Capcom feels like they're found there footing, but they're playing things a bit too reserved, IMO. Like, I recognize Mega Man is never going to be a AAA franchise ever again, but it's disheartening they've completely abandoned the IP, despite Mega Man 11 having performed pretty well. They're also REALLY taking their sweet time delivering any of their "legacy collections". It's frustrating how many glaring omissions there are in their "collections", though, instead of just letting people buy the games they want to play.

Still, I think they are one of the few developers who still em brace that uniquely "video game-y" spirit of gaming back in the 90's, with secrets or unlockables, things like that.

Honestly though, I'd kill to see them try and finish Mega Man Legends 3, even using it's clearly-dated graphics. The Legends games ages supremely well, thanks to their "anime" aesthetic. It seems like a shame to have left the series on the cliffhanger they did.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Check playstation studios, and then watch Capcom
marvel-is-it-though.gif

I get what you're going for but buying out a bunch of first party devs and owning an entire console platform kinda doesn't compare. That's like saying Microsoft are the real Gs because they bought out a bunch of studios and slapped their own label on their games.

Capcom is a developer/publisher who make and release their own games.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We're in the age of the remake - every publisher is recreating its old favourites with new engines and assets. But there's one publisher that's doing things differently. Here's why Resident Evil's remakes stand out above the rest.

=== Chapters ===

00:00 - Intro
00:42 - The Shot for Shot Remake
02:06 - What Capcom Does Different
03:21 - How To Stay Faithful
05:43 - Modernisation
07:02 - Addressing Criticism
07:57 - Accessibility
09:25 - Why RE Remakes Work
10:27 - The Problem with Remakes
12:58 - Conclusion

=== Games Shown ===

Demon's Souls (2020)
The Last of Us: Part I (2022)
Mafia: Definitive Edition (2020)
Resident Evil (2002)
Resident Evil 4 (2023)
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Dead Space (2023)
Shadow Of The Colossus (2018)
Myst (2020)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (2017)
Dead Space (2008)
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (2020)
Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee! And Pikachu! (2018)
Ratchet And Clank (2016)
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (2020)
Florence (2018)
Alien: Isolation (2014)
Spyro Reignited Trilogy (2018)
Goldeneye 007 (2023)
Bioshock Infinite (2013)
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (1998)
The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2013)
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (2017)
The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)
Mafia (2002)
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond And Shining Pearl (2021)
Resident Evil 3 (2020)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999)
Silent Hill 2 (2001)
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game (2010)
Titanfall (2014)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - The Definitive Edition (2021)
Metroid Prime: Remastered (2023)
Silent Hill 2 (Unreleased)
System Shock (Unreleased)
System Shock (1994)
Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)
Warcraft III: Reforged (2020)

Top Bottom