• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It feels so weird going back to playing Jedi Fallen Order now - what other game sequels do you remember that made the original feel this inferior?

Drizzlehell

Banned
It runs so... SMOOTHLY.

owen-wilson-owen.gif

For real, though.

First of all, Cal himself looks like a literal baby in comparison, lol. He's so thin and young in this game compared to his older, more rugged version of himself from Survivor. And gameplay-wise, holy shit, I'm literally gimped. You can't even double jump in this game for the first half of it, let alone doing any other force tricks other than slowing dudes down for one free hit. I constantly have to remember that I can't do shit in this game and all I can rely on are parries and dodging.

The combat feels much tighter thanks to that, though. Survivor is always throwing so much shit at you that it turns into utter chaos sometimes but in this game the combat just seems to flow better overall.

Anyway, I was wondering what other games made you feel like this. The last time I experienced such a whiplash was when I went back to Doom 2016 after finishing Eternal, and realized that the former game was fucking slow as molasses.

Last edited:
I could not play Horizon Zero Dawn after completing Forbidden West. I played both on PS4, the lack of gyro aiming and auto sprint made it impossible for me to get into HZD again. I am not a big fan of pressing L3 to sprint.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I replayed Fallen Order not too long ago, and Zero Dawn again some months before Forbidden West, since i didn't think that i would ever return to them after their sequels released.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

It almost sounds like you're saying Jedi Survivor ditched the Souls-like gameplay and went for something less crappy?

Edit:
Also OP update your post because you're using too many fucking pronouns and it's not clear which game you're referring to as you keep bouncing back and forth, between talking about the two games.

Last edited:

H4ze

There are a few I guess. For example, old RPGs, try going back to Wizardry 1 or any Ultima prior to 4. :) Not worth the hassle

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
  • Just Cause -> Just Cause 2. (The first game is straight up bad compared to Just Cause 2)
  • Assassins Creed -> Assassins Creed 2 (all of them).
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater -> Being able to Revert and manual. (I dont know how we considered the earlier Tony Hawks games good without Revert)
  • The Last of Us -> The Last of Us Part 2. (from a gameplay perspective).
  • Call of Duty 3 - Call of Duty 4. (come at me).
  • Gears of War first trilogy -> Gears of War 4 and Hivebusters. (people who say they play the same are straight up lying, Gears 4+ is so much smoother)
  • Saints Row -> Saints Row 2 (First game was a mishmash of shit trying to ape GTA, second game stood on its own)
  • Halo Combat Evolved -> Halo 2
  • Arkham Asylum -> Arkham City. (Arkham Asylum seems so limited going back to it after playing City)
  • Red Dead Redemption -> Red Dead Redemption 2. (Probably the biggest leap in quality ive seen between sequels)

Drizzlehell

Banned
Wait - so it isn't shittty "souls" gameplay now? it actually has Star Wars combat?
Don't get your hopes up, lol.

Although it has so many accessibility options now that even a headless chicken could get through it, so you can probably give it a shot.

RagnarokIV

Don't get your hopes up, lol.

Although it has so many accessibility options now that even a headless chicken could get through it, so you can probably give it a shot.
So Jedi Outcast/Academy still reign supreme. I'll get this one on a $10 sale in the future.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
So Jedi Outcast/Academy still reign supreme.
Nah, as much as I love those old games, at some point you just gotta accept the fact that they're antiquated and it's no longer that impressive to frantically wave your sword at blocky character models and it looks like you're both spazzing out on meth. Jedi Survivor has one of the most gratifying lightsaber combat around and it genuinely makes the fights feel movie-like without wrestling the controls from you.

DavidGzz

I feel like we had a similar thread recently. I'll say Street Fighter to Street Fighter 2 and GTA2 to GTA3.

SkylineRKR

• Just Cause -> Just Cause 2. (The first game is straight up bad compared to Just Cause 2)
  • Assassins Creed -> Assassins Creed 2 (all of them).
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater -> Being able to Revert and manual. (I dont know how we considered the earlier Tony Hawks games good without Revert)
  • The Last of Us -> The Last of Us Part 2. (from a gameplay perspective).
  • Call of Duty 3 - Call of Duty 4. (come at me).
  • Gears of War first trilogy -> Gears of War 4 and Hivebusters. (people who say they play the same are straight up lying, Gears 4+ is so much smoother)
  • Saints Row -> Saints Row 2 (First game was a mishmash of shit trying to ape GTA, second game stood on its own)
  • Halo Combat Evolved -> Halo 2
  • Arkham Asylum -> Arkham City. (Arkham Asylum seems so limited going back to it after playing City)
  • Red Dead Redemption -> Red Dead Redemption 2. (Probably the biggest leap in quality ive seen between sequels)

May of these picks are good, but many will prefer TLOU1 based on characters and narrative, Halo CE for its SP campaign, and the more focused approach of Asylum. And myself, I prefer Saints Row 1, haha.

The biggest improvement is probably Creed. The first wasn't much of a game, it was almost like a demo.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
May of these picks are good, but many will prefer TLOU1 based on characters and narrative, Halo CE for its SP campaign, and the more focused approach of Asylum. And myself, I prefer Saints Row 1, haha.

The biggest improvement is probably Creed. The first wasn't much of a game, it was almost like a demo.
Thats why for TLoU I specifically mentioned from a gameplay perspective.
Playing TLoU PS3 vs TLoU 2 its night and day, gameplay wise TLoU PS3 feels so limited.
But characters and story I did prefer TLoU 1.

Asylum was focused, but you could argue the "dungeons" of Arkham City basically outdid the entirety of Asylum.
You just got to also do the city aspects as well.

Halo 2 gameplay was leaps and bounds over Halo CE, a massive improvement.
Sure we didnt get a silent cartographer level mission, but moment to moment Halo 2 was a frikken banger.

Saints Row 1 ran between 15 and 40fps near randomly, if a game released in that state today it would be flayed......it was also a GTA3 clone after GTA San Andreas had already come out.....it was 5 years too late so it felt dated at release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve yet to play this, but I thought Fallen Order was kinda shit in the early parts. I felt like a Jedi chump throughout most of the game, with so much of it not making any sense.

Like why am I dueling Biker Scouts??!! I should be able to rip that weapon right out of their hands with the force.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Persona 3 is hard to go back to after 4 and 5. The Story helps, but the rest of the game is difficult to adjust too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fallen Order has better flow from what I've seen. And mods allowing me to play as Twi'lek(yay mods) probably helps me prefer Fallen Order over Survivor which I'll probably consider playing later in the year.

Key point to make is that Fallen order is more limited because Cal is relearning everything as a Jedi in hiding and in Survivor he's in top form while doing new things. So that progression reflected in the gameplay is nice.

Jedi Outcast reigns supreme because Kyle Katarn > Cal Kestis. I mean it's no contest.

But the Jedi series just has amazing combat that makes you feel like a Jedi.

I kind of hope they end up making more games or even a set of games but from a Sith perspective.

If anything Jedi FO/Survivor is the successor to the Jedi Academy/Outcast games for that Jedi Adventures focus.

Force Unleashed IMO was just average when it came out but I was just amazed with Fallen Order.

Mr.ODST

Jedi Survivor is a really good example, I loved Fallen Order but Jedi Survivor FEELS like your continuing a journey, not just having to unlock all your abilities etc again like you have amnesia, its a huge extension on the world and the huge levels are breathtaking, including all the QoL changes.

GymWolf

Gold Member
For now i would score both games a 7 tbh.

Combat is better but really not by that much and the story is mediocre at best for now, they really have their hands tied with how much they can do with the plot and it really show, we know that whatever cal is doing amount to jack shit in the grand order of things.

Best things for now are the 2 new stances.

Last edited:
This post makes me happy. I'm currently finishing up the last act of Fallen Order for the first time. I started playing Survivor a few days ago and realized 20min into gameplay that the combat fluently builds on Fallen Order. So I forced myself to play FO because of that and to wait on patches in Survivor. The gameplay is so satisfying, even if there are obvious flaws in level and enemy design. Fallen Order has such a great foundation to build upon. Really looking forward to Survivor

darrylgorn

Personally, I'd rather not have bigger, better and more badass.

The simplicity of Fallen Order gives it a more concrete gameplay experience. It's the same reason I'll stick with the original Dark Souls as my favourite souls game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Asylum was focused, but you could argue the "dungeons" of Arkham City basically outdid the entirety of Asylum.
You just got to also do the city aspects as well.
Tbh when City first came out I was really put off by the open world because it felt bloated compared to Asylum. I've completed all of the Asylum's collectable hunts and 100%'ed the game specifically because it wasn't too overwhelming and grindy. I enjoyed the puzzle aspect of it and getting rewarded with additional lore and Riddler story bits. But in City it just felt too much like busy work and I didn't wanna do it at all.

It's kinda ironic to think about that game as bloated because compared to most open world games that come out these days, City is positively quaint in its size.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Better animated doesn't mean scripted, jesus christ.
The attacks in FO and Surv have to commit to the animation. You can cancel into a lot of things in Academy that you cannot in the more current games. Plus you can have different interactions with the enemy types. FO/Surv is a bit more limited in this regard.

Academy is more about movement and spacing. FO/Surv play a bit differently. It's more like Souls where it's more about memorizing the patterns each enemy has. Not always so simple in Jedi Academy. Especially with Saber styles(weak/mid/strong), Single/Double/Staff along with multiple guns to integrate as well as force powers and using the location to your advantage. You have speed and finesse to work with and getting better is very rewarding.

I like both games but overall Lightsaber combat along with Force abilities Jedi Academy is still the best IMO. And if it didn't it wouldn't have the following it does today.

I attended a LAN party years ago and maaaan it was such a fun time dueling players of all skill levels and we ended watching the best players duel each other. Good times.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The attacks in FO and Surv have to commit to the animation. You can cancel into a lot of things in Academy that you cannot in the more current games. Plus you can have different interactions with the enemy types. FO/Surv is a bit more limited in this regard.

Academy is more about movement and spacing. FO/Surv play a bit differently. It's more like Souls where it's more about memorizing the patterns each enemy has. Not always so simple in Jedi Academy. Especially with Saber styles(weak/mid/strong), Single/Double/Staff along with multiple guns to integrate as well as force powers and using the location to your advantage. You have speed and finesse to work with and getting better is very rewarding.

I like both games but overall Lightsaber combat along with Force abilities Jedi Academy is still the best IMO. And if it didn't it wouldn't have the following it does today.

I attended a LAN party years ago and maaaan it was such a fun time dueling players of all skill levels and we ended watching the best players duel each other. Good times.
Again, that doesn't mean it's scripted. It just means the combat system is more deliberate and doesn't allow to cancel animations, just like in a typical souls game that JFO was inspired by. Even comparing the two is kinda pointless because it's a completely different style of play. It's like comparing Call of Duty to Quake and arguing that one is better than the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom