• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems like EA are banking on Call of Duty platform exclusivity in the future

reksveks

its a negative for Microsoft and a positive for EA. oh definitely suggest it will be exclusive . if phil spencer dodging the direct question about cod staying indefinitely on ps was evidence enough
'in a world where there are questions' doesn't imply anything except there are still unknowns but I don't think we will come to an agreement here.

The beauty of language

Last edited:
I will translate:

We have fucked up several times. But because is Battlefiled we got a pass from dumb fans that are willing to keep buying, because they don't half self-respect.

So. No worries.

And better yet. With the possibility of CoD becoming exclusive. We would have less competition and therefore capture those people without access to CoD. Even if our product is worse.

I will translate:

We have fucked up several times. But because is Battlefiled we got a pass from dumb fans that are willing to keep buying, because they don't half self-respect.

So. No worries.

And better yet. With the possibility of CoD becoming exclusive. We would have less competition and therefore capture those people without access to CoD. Even if our product is worse.

Its not as if the last two CoD games were such amazing products either

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
come on dude lol
there is absolutely no doubt Xbox has intentions to make cod exclusive.
This was my take on the CoD situation.

Of course Phil was smart with that offer. It makes sense for that deal to expire by the time the next consoles come, so it will be a launch exclusive to the Xbox brand, in turn leaving the highest player base of the game assed out while hoping to leach off that addiction moving into a new gen. Smart business, indeed. ;)

Think About It GIF by Identity

Banjo64

cumsessed
Battlefield isn’t even in the equation anymore. In a CoDless hellscape it would be Apex, Fortnite and Destiny 2 battling for supremacy.

Sony should try and do a deal to get Valorent ported to PS5, fund it if need be.

I mean... this Bond level bad guy CEO is not wrong. It would technically allow "his" game to be available to more ppl... whether or not his game is good enough for that wider audience to buy, well that's another story.

NickFire

This was my take on the CoD situation.

Of course Phil was smart with that offer. It makes sense for that deal to expire by the time the next consoles come, so it will be a launch exclusive to the Xbox brand, in turn leaving the highest player base of the game assed out while hoping to leach off that addiction moving into a new gen. Smart business, indeed. ;)

Think About It GIF by Identity
Imagine if MS gets the next Xbox out a year before PS6, and also makes COD exclusive to Xbox at that time? Megaton!

The only way they could mess that up would be mismanagement of the in-between COD's and/or a rise of a new FPS king.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I miss the days when Battlefield was a contender irregardless of CoD’s presence.

Now it’s a mess that launches in a poor state, but hey…big chance to strike it big if CoD leaves PlayStation.

Aenima

Seems to me like he’s saying he hopes it goes exclusive so that battlefield has a larger audience.
Yup. Thats what i told as well when MS announced they was aquiring Activision. Once COD gets available on less consoles, EA has a chance to make Battlefield bigger and take over. All they have to do is actually deliver a good game, something they seem to be strugling with.

Last edited:
Yup. Thats what i told as well when MS announced they was aquiring Activision. Once COD gets available on less consoles, EA has a chance to make Battlefield bigger and take over. All they have to do is actually deliver a good game, something they seem to be strugling with.
I bought 2043 a few days ago and I’ve been playing it all weekend, I’m enjoying it but the most fun is when I’m playing portal on the classic maps. It’s just so mediocre compared to what it used to be. They need to try to stop following trends and just deliver on the foundation that made their games so good to begin with.

Gamerguy84

Without reading into it too much yes it seems like it would be a positive.

With no COD on PS they have that market of military shooters to themselves, and of course they would sell more on that side.

They would also sell less on xbox side considering COD would be on Gamepass and under the subscription. Why pay if you can get your fix for whatever GP costs by then.

I like the BF series. Always have, anyone can check me history. COD is also a good one. Both series have had ups and downs.

Last edited:
Considering that EA wanted to sell what if Sony brought out the battlefield devs and the RTS devs aka ex Westwood devs and the rights to battlefield then they could have exclusive battlefield games and a remake of Red alert 2? Cod exclusive on next Xbox and battlefield and red alert 4 exclusive to ps6

Considering that EA wanted to sell what if Sony brought out the battlefield devs and the RTS devs aka ex Westwood devs and the rights to battlefield then they could have exclusive battlefield games and a remake of Red alert 2? Cod exclusive on next Xbox and battlefield and red alert 4 exclusive to ps6

They already have a better FPS studio, 2 Infact

Winter John

I downloaded the 2042 trial last week. I still had 9 hours on it. I couldn't find a game. It kept dumping me into empty lobbys. I checked cross play was on. Tried a few times. Gave up and deleted it again. It's tragic what they've done to the series. Run it right into the fucking ground.

Elios83

Seems obvious business sense.
EA is obviously salivating at the thought of the whole PS COD fanbase migrating to Battlefield as their main fps series although quite frankly with Bungie and Deviation, Sony is already covering their back long term.
And it's not even clear at which conditions the Activision deal will pass given all the recent antitrust noise thus it's not clear how many years COD will continue to stay on PS.
So unfortunately for EA they should just think about not releasing shitty games atm.

Three

Those three are publishers not platform holders. What concern would they have with the possibility of fewer games to compete with on PS? It may even lead to boosts as people seek alternatives.

Anyway, I think that's what the CMA want information and assurance for, that the purchase would not lead to harm to rivals and in particular competing and new entrant multigame sub and cloud gaming rivals.

fxUJ.gif

Orbital2060

They are not banking on anything, though. Just saying that they dont care if CoD goes exclusive and that it would be a great opportunity for Battlefield.

Stuart360

Even if MS did make COD exclusive (and i still dont think they will), COD sales on Xbox and PC would probably still drawf Battlefield. Especially if we keep getting Battlefield games of the quality of the last couple.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Neither would the supposed buyout of battlefield devs, i trust ex-treyarch BLOPS vets over BF team
Dice have made games before, they have lost there way recently but the team still has talent and great tech.
Every team has developers from other great studios. It does not mean much.
But we will see, i would put my money on zampella and a experienced DICE over a brand new studio. But I could also see both being good.

Also has it been rumoured or confirmed that sony is moving Bungie to exclusive game development? Boy would that be hypocritical after all jimbos complaining about Microsoft buying COD.

No one is going to buy their next Battlefield game for their CoD fix.
I might.
I am not into MP games. Played a few hours CoD4 on PC and I think the demo of BF2, when it was still mainly MP. All SP portions of BF, MoH, BF BC or any COD play basically the same though, so swapping CoD with BF or MoH or Men of Valor or Vietcong or whatever is no big change for me. Brothers in Arms was quite different, iirc GRAW with its map or whatever too but all other military stuff; WW2, modern, future, play the same imho.
So while I might buy BF instead, my interest level to the same ol' shit is limited anyway.

Of course it would benefit them and it's in their best interest if CoD goes exclusive. Can't really blame them for saying that lol. They are only going to look after themselves so they don't really give a fuck if it hurts Sony or not. EA are a shitty company but lol at people turning on them for not defending Sony.

I think Microsoft should make CoD an exclusive for Xbox/PC. They are buying it so it's their product and if it remains on Sony consoles then that is up to Microsoft. They don't got to do shit for Sony. They are competitors so Sony will just need to suck up whatever Microsoft decides. I can see Microsoft keep it on Playstation for a while but that'll still hurt Sony. Would you rather buy an $80 game every year or just sub to gamepass?

It would be the same if the tables were turned. If Sony buys a game then they have every right to keep that game exclusive to their platform or would people actually try argue that it should remain multiplatform? Somehow I don't think so.

Last edited:

Pfroebbel

I bought 2043 a few days ago and I’ve been playing it all weekend, I’m enjoying it but the most fun is when I’m playing portal on the classic maps. It’s just so mediocre compared to what it used to be. They need to try to stop following trends and just deliver on the foundation that made their games so good to begin with.

Look out until Exodus Conquest aka CQ all Maps with only 64 Players comes back. Was there the entire last Season and will be back soon (i Hope). That Mode is really good.

Top Bottom