• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems that The Initiative was set up to poach talent from PlayStation.

Bryank75

Banned
They poached three more people from Sony Santa Monica this weeks, all level designers from God of War. This is after already poaching Westergaard, a lead designer and others from Naughty Dog.

This is more underhanded behavior from the Xbox team, which in my opinion always choose the shortcuts over actually nurturing talent and building something themselves.

Previously Darryl Gallagher said he would recruit from universities and other disciplines in the area but I think their true motives have become clear.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It's underhanded to hire the best people for a job? C'mon now. This is work and life for people, not a banner war between consoles.
Wouldn’t mind if it was 2 or 3 from Sony studios in total.... but it seems that they are trying to poach everyone from Sony. It’s a scummy move.

MS has no games! Why don't they make more games and 1st party studios?

Why is MS buying these studios? Probably will just shut them down in a year. Greedy MS buying studios just to have more games. Why don't they build their own studio from the ground up!

Why is MS poaching talent to build their own studios? Fucking greedy bastards are like vultures and taking developers from Sony!

...next year...

Why does MS have games? Don't they know it's about powerful hardware!

Scarlett and PS5 release.

Why is MS making powerful hardware? It's about the fucking games!

See #1. Repeat.

Bryank75

Banned
MS has no games! Why don't they make more games and 1st party studios?

Why is MS buying these studios? Probably will just shut them down in a year. Greedy MS buying studios just to have more games. Why don't they build their own studio from the ground up!

Why is MS poaching talent to build their own studios? Fucking greedy bastards are like vultures and taking developers from Sony!

...next year...

Why does MS have games? Don't they know it's about powerful hardware!

Scarlett and PS5 release.

Why is MS making powerful hardware? It's about the fucking games!

See #1. Repeat.
I don’t think anyone had any problem with them buying the studios they did. Nor recruiting talent, as long as they recruited from diverse sources.... not just trying to erode Sony ones..... where people were actually built up and mentored to get to a standard.
Xbox have the powerful hardware.... What difference has it made?

Otterz4Life

I don’t think anyone had any problem with them buying the studios they did. Nor recruiting talent, as long as they recruited from diverse sources.... not just trying to erode Sony ones..... where people were actually built up and mentored to get to a standard.
Xbox have the powerful hardware.... What difference has it made?
I doubt MS forced anyone to come work for them. If they did of their own free will, what’s the issue?

Sony does underhanded stuff, too.

Bryank75

Banned
When you view it through the lens of a fanboy, this must be an outrage.

When you view it for what it is - IT companies seeking out talent - it is business as usual.
They have no shame and Darryl Gallagher is a hack who made his name on established franchises and remakes. He’s an unimaginative bloodsucker.

Tomb raider: uncharted edition.

Last edited:

SonGoku

My inner fanboy is like "this is messed up" but this is just business and this stuff happens all the time.
Yeah, I’m in that zone.... I can understand the human and business perspective but I’m fucking furious despite everything.
You shouldn't, competition is good. If they jumped ship it means that their contract was up or that Sony wasn't paying them enough
AAA Game development its not a one man job, losing lead talent can be a blessing in disguise as it gives the new talent a chance to spread wings.

Top talent devs seek new challenges they dont want to be stuck with a single IP, its only natural they rotate.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This is like football, I mean, why the fuck do players go to different teams? I mean, what the hell?!

Oh wait...

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You shouldn't, competition is good. If they jumped ship it means that their contract was up or that Sony wasn't paying them enough
AAA Game development its not a one man job, losing lead talent can be a blessing in disguise as it gives the new talent a chance to spread wings.

Top talent devs seek new challenges they dont want to be stuck with a single IP, its only natural they rotate.
I need a green tea or something.... these first world problems are too much!

NahaNago

I'm not that stressed about it since I'm more in to Japanese third party games anyways. I just like the sports team drama. This still isn't a big enough move in my opinion by Microsoft and Sony has been needing to step up the first party non souls Japanese gaming side of things. Now if Microsoft bought like Square or Capcom I'm not gonna lie , I'd lose it and then kick myself and proceed to make fun of myself for losing it over video games.

Otterz4Life

This is the dumbest fucking thread I have seen in quite some time unless (and I believe this is definitely a possibility) you believe poaching means MS actively kidnapped these people and in that case this may be the best thread I've seen in a while.
Now THAT would be underhanded 😂

Money talks bullshit walks I guess. I don't know why you're upset about this tbh, It's that persons decision to work WHERE ever the hell they want to. You almost make it seem that MS had all those people at gun point and forced them to work for that studio.

Top Bottom