• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italy Appoints Black Cabinet Minister, Erupts With Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hilariously ironic how racist Italians can be towards minority groups when not too long ago, they were also considered minorities and sub-human.

Its hilariously ironic how racist Italians can be towards minority groups when not too long ago, they were also considered minorities and sub-human.

err, when? last i checked Italians have been at the forefront of European politics and social sphere since the ROman days

:(

Why do all the countries with awesome food, culture, and landscapes hate black people.
Italy, Greece, basically European and Asian countries...

Madness

Europeans were fine with black people, so long as they didn't have to live with them :p

No they weren't. They singlehandedly colonized Africa to their benefit, enslaved and marginalized the people there, extracted resources for their benefit, converted them to their religion etc.

Now that black people want to and are legally able to just live or work alongside them in their own countries, it's too much?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
knew this since Mario Balotelli started to get big on the football stage

Europe is still tribal on a level

Con_Smith

Banned
They aren't racist, they just understand the universal truth that blacks are culturally uninteresting compared to Italians. Mobsters >gangbangers amirite?

Could we have expected less from the country that actively advocated its citizens to hunt down Roma just three or four years ago?

faridmon

there's black people in Italy?

Italian+forward+Mario+Balotelli+

Good to know we're still the most hated race in the world for absolutely no reason. Thank you for reminding me earth, for a while there I started to feel we were being accepted everywhere...you constantly shatter my dreams.
This fucking swine isn't speaking for me. Nor are these neo fascist shitheads representative for italy. They just leech off the economic and political turmoil here.

Kikujiro

And that moron has a Corto Maltese avatar of all comic characters... SMH. SMFH.

It's a shame, these young fascists have to steal heroes because there aren't any fascist heroes. They actually think Captain Harlock is a fascist symbol, how desperate can you get.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Harlock
Harlock is the archetypical romantic hero, a space pirate with an individualist philosophy of life. He is as noble as he is taciturn, rebellious, stoically fighting against totalitarian regimes, whether they be earthborn or alien. In his own words, he "fight for no one's sake... only for something deep in [his] heart"

But people here led me to believe it was only Americans that cared about race...despite seeing racist stuff happen in soccer and other areas in Europe all the time

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
doesn't surprise me, the Lega Lombarda and the right wing are almost entirely made of fascists and ignorants

we all have our awful political movements. Let's not overreact by claiming your country is worse than mine

I can't say I'm really shocked...

I'd also like to say that I never caught any real negative vibes when I had visited 5 or so years ago...

Talon

One politician from a party that not long ago ruled in a coalition derided what he called Italy’s new “bonga bonga government.” On Wednesday, amid increasing revulsion over the reaction, the government authorized an investigation into neo-fascist websites whose members called Kyenge “Congolese monkey” and other epithets.
Most hilariously immature comment ever. Fantastic!

Baki

Good to know we're still the most hated race in the world for absolutely no reason. Thank you for reminding me earth, for a while there I started to feel we were being accepted everywhere...you constantly shatter my dreams.

I think Brown people win at the moment. But yeah, Europe is pretty xenophobic.

UrbanRats

In addition to his “bonga bonga” slur, Mario Borghezio ..

When i read the article, i FUCKING KNEW that "Bonga Bonga" comment was from Mario Borghezio, even before i got to that part.
He's probably the rock bottom you can find even inside Lega Nord's representatives, for those who don't know, the man is so hated that he even got assaulted on a train (by left-ist militants -Not Tav activists, says Wikipedia-, although i guess most people in the country would pay money to at least kick him in the ass once) that sent him to the hospital.

ibepDr2UZrYIOK.jpg

--
Not that i'm condoning violence, mind you, but the man is always at the forefront of this crap.

My uncle employs a few black people in the south of Italy. Lost a few relationships with people because they weren't too fond of him doing that. I have a few racist family members but glad I have at least one uncle who is doing his part.

I think its tough for a lot of them to find jobs so you'll usually find many as street vendors in the markets selling art and clothing. I met one dude from Morocco at a market who spoke better Italian than me and he'd only been there 3 weeks. Became kind of a friend as I'd see him everyday and we'd shoot the shit. Mad respect for some of the abuse they have to put up with. I never personally witnessed any, though. No one is throwing eggs at them in the street or anything. Least not where I'm from. Wonder if its worse or better in the north. I thought maybe small towns would be a lot more sheltered and racist but no idea if true.

IceCold

Honestly I am not surprised. Italians even discriminate between themselves (North vs South/Sicily). Italy not only seems like a pretty racist place but it also seems sexist as hell.

UrbanRats

Honestly I am not surprised. Italians even discriminate between themselves (North vs South/Sicily). Italy not only seems like a pretty racist place but it also seems sexist as hell.

You forgot homophobic.
I blame that on the Church, though.

Currygan

you mean like every other country?

Currygan

How many 1st world country had recently a prime minister like Berlusconi? He's the epitome of the stereotypical Italian macho man.

indeed, he's scum, I was mostly referring at your north vs south/homophobic/racist remarks

Because Crushdance is horribly racist against blacks despite being black.

What the heck is this? As a certain famous black person once said: "You can't hate the roots of a tree". Why would I be racist against people "like me"? I hate my own family and friends now? The ones that I came from? el-o-el. Talking about self determination and finding nothing wrong with who you are, instead of trying to kiss ass from the entire freaking world=racism. Gotcha. I actually want to see "my people" succeed and flourish instead of spinning falsehoods to keep them placated.

Madness

I bet the asshole who came up with bonga bonga (instead of bunga bunga) thought he was so clever.

Probably the same guy who came up with durka durka when they make fun of East Indians/Arabs/Middle Easterners etc.

I wonder if the Italians who are so openly hostile and racist to foreigners who just want to live and work there, remember their efforts at colonizing Africa? Invading Eritrea, Libya, Somalia etc. They even tried to invade and take over Ethiopia.

Some things will never change.

I am starting to believe for as much flack as the US gets for it's racism it is probably the most progressive country in the world.

Racism in the US is nowhere near as bad as it is in other parts of the world.

Way to generalize entire continents buddy.

How does that even work lol

He(And some others) got upset when I made an admittedly "emotional" post(As it always is when discussing race), stating that blacks won't and can't be equal in the world unless they do for themselves first. That despite whatever truths of equality are stated and championed, people will still look down on whichever peoples they can view themselves as "better than". I.E. "I may have only scored a 50% in the class. But at-least I didn't fail like Johnny did."

And that somehow made me a racist....for wanting blacks and more specifically, Africans to have stability and advancement. The word "racist" gets thrown around way too easily. So now I'm the devil. Cool. Keep churning out those PHD's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom