• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Season 8 |OT| The Gang Is Back!... Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

I thought it was funny. But with this being the 8th season, it's natural that the show isn't as edgy as it used to be.

Hopefully they wrap it up next season and go out on a high note.

Radec

Fantastic Episode.

Worst episode of the series. By far. Seriously.

Season 7 had its moments, but I'd prefer to see this show go down with dignity.

I thought it was funny. Not hilarious tho :/
Guess this show is on the way to its death

ibb2Ddmzd2t1zW.gif

Fantastic Episode.

Absolutely everything was hokey, rigid, and telegraphed. None of the charisma the characters had in previous seasons was present here. All of the mirth and good-spirited mayhem of the show's glory days has been displaced by farcical, mean-spirited caricatures of what the characters once were. This would all be fine if the script for this episode wasn't entirely devoid of any semblance of comedy. Charlie foaming at the mouth with braces was the "It's Always Sunny" equivalent of a histrionic dejected class clown pleading for attention. It wasn't even remotely funny.

Absolutely everything was hokey, rigid, and telegraphed. None of the charisma the characters had in previous seasons was present here. All of the mirth and good-spirited mayhem of the show's glory days has been displaced by farcical, mean-spirited caricatures of what the characters once were. This would all be fine if the script for this episode wasn't entirely devoid of any semblance of comedy. Charlie foaming at the mouth with braces was the "It's Always Sunny" equivalent of a histrionic dejected class clown pleading for attention. It wasn't even remotely funny.

Do all your friends know you post long, articulate rants about Always Sunny on message boards, or just us?

Arment

I wanted to disagree but as I read I found myself agreeing with most of it. Especially the bolded.

Season 7 was hit and miss, and so far this season is 1 miss.

I was laughing like crazy during the braces scene however. It just didn't redeem the whole episode.

Poor Dee and Dennis. I honestly thought the camp was for the Aryan Brotherhood type camp. Instead it was for Hitler youth. Somehow they've repressed those memories for so many years. The'd be honorary GAF members for saving Rickety from suicide. Although rabid dogs being on the loose is a aireheaded mistake.

"Brett De Lawyer. A denial correlation."

Charlie, you're a loveable, illiterate idiot. Your Novocaine induced diabolical speech was hilarious.

inm8num2

The characters were always mean-spirited and selfish. That hasn't changed.

Clydefrog

I was laughing like crazy during the braces scene however. It just didn't redeem the whole episode.

you're dead on with that statement.

the episode was far too predictable and lacked any spark (except for the charlie's braces speech!)

i'm not going to stop watching anytime soon though

I actually thought the episode was pretty fucking funny. I laughed more times than I can remember. The whole premise was so fucking absurd and there were so many disgusting parts, but it was hilarious. The show is completely over-the-top and has fully embraced being a live-action cartoon; the wishy-washy nature of seasons 4-7 were what killed those seasons for me.

By the way, was the scene where Frank takes the painting off Charlie's wall a deleted scene from season 2 or something. Frank looks exactly the same as he did in "Charlie Gets Crippled." Eh, they probably filmed it specifically for this episode, but they did a damn good job if they did.

Guzim

By the way, was the scene where Frank takes the painting off Charlie's wall a deleted scene from season 2 or something. Frank looks exactly the same as he did in "Charlie Gets Crippled." Eh, they probably filmed it specifically for this episode, but they did a damn good job if they did.

I think they filmed it specifically for the episode, but I have to watch it again and look at Frank's hair.

Lijik

I was wondering the same thing. Probably filmed it for the episode.

Thought the ep was solid. Rickety getting smug over making 3 bucks killed me

IceCold

I enjoyed the episode but it felt kinda forced. I've been watching some of the older episodes this week and you can tell the tone of the show has changed a lot.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just saw it and was disappointed. Definitely one of the weaker episodes. I laughed a couple times (maybe three) but as others have said a lot of it just felt forced. Shame because I was expecting more after last season which I thought was very strong.

Season 7 was pretty hit or miss and this episode was worse than even season 7's misses. Wikipedia tells me they are already locked in for season 9 next year... i hope the show can get back it's magic.

SmithnCo

I liked it. Felt like a season 1 episode to me.

Yeah, it was a little more low-key which I liked. Not balls-out crazy like the Jersey Shore one and others. Not laugh-out-loud funny but it was entertaining, pop-pop's room, the camp, Cricket, and Charlie's speech were all good.

This is the first time I've watched a new episode of this show. I watched all of the other seasons one after another earlier this year.

Kinda expected this to be a bigger deal, but whatever, it was good.

Meier

It was okay, not great. I didn't find it bad and I laughed at a few of the moments, but it wasn't a high point. Still entertaining.

Grinchy

Banned
I liked it. I find that whenever a new season of this show comes out, my expectations are really high. I was really surprised by how good the show was when I started watching it (around season 3).

So when a new season starts, I expect a lot out of it. I'm often disappointed, but then when I go back and watch the episodes again much later on they are funny as hell. I didn't love season 6 while it was brand new, but I watched half of it about a month ago and was laughing my ass off.

Brera

Banned
I thought I'd wait to see what others had to say first.

Totally agree. Not funny at all. I thought the Lawyer guy was making a play but he just wanted the guy dead so he could move on...not very IASIP :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom