• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'ts been 8 years since the P.T Demo was released on the PS Store

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I do!
cady heron raises hand GIF

mikeysdeli

Neo Member
I remember it well,

I had just moved in to a university accommodation and bought my first PS4 used from a game store, I was not following gaming closely at the time but knew this was still a fairly new console.
I came home one day to see my room mates had downloaded the demo and were playing it crowded around the tv in the dark, like 5 of them glued to the screen, I joined and was pretty spooked by what I saw.
Word of mouth was a big thing 8 years ago, we forget how much of our lives are online now even compared to then, it was still a lot but much less - people were talking about this game demo in day to day life.

I remember the big disappointment when all this was cancelled, seemed like a cool idea some people still preserve the demo to this day I understand on their consoles.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I remember it well,

I had just moved in to a university accommodation and bought my first PS4 used from a game store, I was not following gaming closely at the time but knew this was still a fairly new console.
I came home one day to see my room mates had downloaded the demo and were playing it crowded around the tv in the dark, like 5 of them glued to the screen, I joined and was pretty spooked by what I saw.
Word of mouth was a big thing 8 years ago, we forget how much of our lives are online now even compared to then, it was still a lot but much less - people were talking about this game demo in day to day life.

I remember the big disappointment when all this was cancelled, seemed like a cool idea some people still preserve the demo to this day I understand on their consoles.

It was 8 years ago, not 28, lol. We were just as online then as now. At least I don't see what has really changed in that time.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Don’t understand the love for this. My brother in law was super excited and had me download it the first day and play through it. I did and beat it that night. I died once. He thought it was great, I don’t understand all the praise it gets as it was only ok.

Different strokes I guess

mikeysdeli

Neo Member
It was 8 years ago, not 28, lol. We were just as online then as now. At least I don't see what has really changed in that time.
I might be wrong but I feel like 8 years ago we weren't as 'online' - I think phone usage and social media has skyrocketed since then in such a short time.

Obviously we were on our phones a lot 8 years ago but - since 2016 or so I feel like it is so so much more

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I might be wrong but I feel like 8 years ago we weren't as 'online' - I think phone usage and social media has skyrocketed since then in such a short time.

Obviously we were on our phones a lot 8 years ago but - since 2016 or so I feel like it is so so much more

Well, there are more social media networks now I guess, but overall I think it's pretty much the same. Facebook was probably at its peak around then, and everyone already had smartphones since many years.

You made it sound like "back then, the way you learned about video game stuff was from other kids telling you in the schoolyard". Which was true in 1996, not 2016, lol.

But yeah, P.T. was definitely all over the internet, including here.

Last edited:
I remember it well,

Dude we had FB, IG, Twitter, high speed internet, 4K smart TVs,watsup, viber, tinder ...8 years ago. What do you mean we are more online today lol.

People went from friends on a couch gaming to full on multiplayer only with the xbox360 which released in 2006. Were you not around when E3 for ps3/360 was going on and we used....THE INTERNET...to discuss right here. Did you not know all this was happening back then?

The only thing that is more recent is the idiots that want to be heard online and cancel culture. Actually they were cancelling ppl even in 2000s, nevermind.

Last edited:

mikeysdeli

Neo Member
Dude we had FB, IG, Twitter, high speed internet, 4K smart TVs,watsup, viber, tinder ...8 years ago. What do you mean we are more online today lol.

People went from friends on a couch gaming to full on multiplayer only with the xbox360 which released in 2006. Were you not around when E3 for ps3/360 was going on and we used....THE INTERNET...to discuss right here. Did you not know all this was happening back then?

The only thing that is more recent is the idiots that want to be heard online and cancel culture. Actually they were cancelling ppl even in 2000s, nevermind.
I guess they never clicked yet for me and my friends haha - I did have Facebook though!

I have just joined the forum, I re-read my post and yes it does sound like I didn't have the internet or anyone did. I just felt less attached to it and feel others were too around me at that time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

UNOFFICIAL FAN CONCEPT TRAILER, NOT A REAL VIDEOGAME.

Take a look at the most UNREAL footage from Unreal Engine 5 reels and imagine how the P.T. Silent Hills project by Kojima or a Silent Hill Remake might've looked like. The audio editing and effects took a lot of effort this time so headphones are highly recommended to enjoy the full experience!

Wow, it's been that long? Creative and unnerving, loved it, I still have it on my PS4. Silent Hills resurrection in tomorrow's State of Play, you heard it here first 🤫

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Good lord it was a pretty cool and weird half hour of what would barely qualify as gameplay. Vidjanerds get fixated on the most trivial shit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Meanwhile, over at Konami…
BronzeScarceKarakul-size_restricted.gif

I downloaded it as soon as I heard it was available. I played it so many times and I showed it to my mom. She was freaked out by the fridge suspended in the air. I guess I wanted to share something like that with her and it failed. I still have it on my PS4. I wipe the save data every now and then in order to replay it. Other than that it’s a depressing feeling how it’s just a small teaser with a lot of potential.

Last edited:

Vick

Aah, the salt around P.T. from usual suspects who never touched the thing never ceases to amuse me. Priceless.

Glad the best piece of horror ever managed to heavily influence games (RE7 return to horror, which led to REmake 2) as well as movies in those 8 years. Ari Aster reveres P.T. and gave us the best horror film since The Exorcist.

F.K.

Kupfer

8 years - wow. I sat together with my roommates and friends in our first shared apartment at the game and we shat ourselves and screamed. What has happened in that time ... makes me think.

I still have it on my PS4 :messenger_peace:
Yeah same! On my OG launch day PS4, again packed in original box with FW 5.00 on it.
Always wanted to mod it, also because I can't play P.T. on it anymore. The game is on it, but the icon has a small lock in front of it and can no longer be launched :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom