• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's official - Fable rawks!

NWO

jedimike said:
nope...

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 Nintendo 30 8.9 97.2% 98.6%
2. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack PS2 Rockstar Games 8 8.1 96.8% 96.9%
3. Soul Calibur DC Namco 28 8.9 96.4% 96.9%
4. Metroid Prime GC Nintendo 98 8.5 95.9% 96.1%
5. Halo: Combat Evolved XBOX Microsoft 92 8.7 95.2% 95.6%
6. NFL 2K1 DC Sega 24 7.8 95.2% 95.3%
7. Grand Theft Auto III PS2 Rockstar Games 85 8.6 94.7% 95.2%
8. Tekken 3 PS Namco 23 8.1 95.3% 95.2%
9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES Nintendo 13 9.3 95.4% 95.2%
10. Gran Turismo PS SCEA 20 8.2 94.6% 95.1%
11. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PS2 Konami 85 8.6 94.7% 95.1%
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker GC Nintendo 102 8.9 95.1% 95.0%
13. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City PC Rockstar Games 47 8.8 94.2% 94.9%
14. NCAA Football 2005 PS2 EA Sports 5 9.1 94.8% 94.8%
15. GoldenEye 007 N64 Nintendo 26 8.9 94.6% 94.8%
16. Sonic the Hedgehog GEN Sega 6 8.8 91.6% 94.7%
17. Perfect Dark N64 Nintendo 59 8.9 94.6% 94.7%
18. Super Mario 64 N64 Nintendo 26 9.0 94.2% 94.5%
19. Half-Life PC Sierra Entertainment 27 8.6 94.1% 94.4%
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 DC Activision 15 8.0 94.1% 94.4%
21. Metal Gear Solid GBC Konami 19 8.0 93.9% 94.2%
22. Super Mario World SNES Nintendo 7 9.2 94.5% 94.2%
23. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic XBOX LucasArts 116 9.0 94.0% 94.2%

Cool I'm glad that you agree that Metroid Prime > Halo.

Redbeard

Banned
There were some Forza impressions too;

Which turned out to be really interesting actually. Somebody there coined the interview a "firehose of Forza information." Really, it was more hardcore detail about Forza than any one person should have to listen to in one sitting, but you know what? I'm so goddamn glad I did. Because now I know something you don't. I know that Forza might actually be the first real driving sim on a console -- comparable on levels close to simulator benchmarks like Grand Prix Legends on the PC (where tuning your car, and being aware of every little detail like tire temperature becomes a necessary art). They model so much s**t in this game, it makes you marvel at just how effortless and infinitely complex real-life physics really are -- and how re-creating that effortlessness is just about the hardest thing in the world. Oh, and also, the game looks unbelievably photographic, too. So real I kept mistaking gameplay for rendered FMV. I know I'm not going into a lot of detail here. Because frankly, I don't remember a lot of it (but thankfully, my minidisc player does).

Akira

I was really looking forward to this game back when it was Project Ego, but I became disenchanted with the game after a while hearing about all of the cutting of certain features. Since E3 though, I've been really looking forward to game a whole lot. I think it was that village video that sealed it for me. I hope this is released on time.

287.jpg

Looks sweet.

ced

Whats the official word, if any on release date?

I cant be the only one that thinks its gonna slip into 05, were getting close to Sept. As far as I know that was the lastest date I heard.

Che

Banned
belgurdo said:
5.4 IGN
5.7 Gamespot
4 Edge
7/5.5/6 EGM
2.0 Gamepro
9.8 OXM

Well if that happens MS needs some serious ass kicking for hyping it up all these years again and again E3 after E3 on and on and on and on...

Norse

Sorry, but that list is bogus! No way in hell MP is better than Halo...Every poll in the world would say otherwise....as do the weekly/monthly sales data we see. People are still interested and play halo. Can't really say that MP has/had that type of following. Great game, but better than Halo, nah.

Che

Banned
Norse said:

Sorry, but that list is bogus! No way in hell MP is better than Halo...Every poll in the world would say otherwise....as do the weekly/monthly sales data we see. People are still interested and play halo. Can't really say that MP has/had that type of following. Great game, but better than Halo, nah.

Hype is wonderful thing ain't it?

Norse

Don't you find it funny that gaming sites won't score games on an equal footing(aka..gamespot and IGN scoring xbox games lower than ps2 because its newer technology) but will use these same scores for "Best of all time" lists? Come on.

FoneBone

Matlock said:
Just out of curiousity, is there a PC version still slated?
I don't think there ever was a PC version planned - I think it was just rumored at one point, and denied by Lionhead people.

skip

why the fuck does everything have to "better" or "worse" than everything else? in my eyes, metroid and halo are relative equals.

(and yes, matlock, I'm aware of the irony)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I still think Halo's an average FPS, with great weapons, the vehicles are good, but the level design is among the worst I've ever seen in a video game.

jett

D-Member
I have no idea how Fable will actually turn out, but one thing's for sure: it has BEAUTIFUL CONCEPT ART. I'm talking about scenery stuff, btw. If someone could find me some UBER HIGH res versions of the concept art of "Bright Wood" I'd be extremely happy. :p

Pachinko

Fable sounds sweet. It's my second most anticapated game.

As for gamerankings.com , while it is a great tool to use , it's highly unfortunate that the most overrated game in the past 10 years sits atop the heap of games to proclaim the #1 spot. I think some of those SNES games would be higher up if they had more reviews.

Socreges

Banned
Just from watching videos, the game seems terribly awkward. But that's probably just the animation. Really does look like an awesome experience.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Norse said:

How is the list bogus? it is just collective reviews from major reviewers... they are so close to each other it really is a moot point really... if one game is 95% and the other is 93% then both are near flawless games... As a single player game MP is a better looking (artwise) game, which has history behind it...making it deeper for players who have been following the series.. I liked both games very much... I don't really see what your beef is that MP is higher on a list made from collective reviews...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Optimistic said:
Man, it's going to be so good when this game comes out and all the haters get the owning of a lifetime

I think it is going to be a sweet game... just not the best game ever... hope I'm wrong... been dying to see more great RPGs come out...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
ced said:
Whats the official word, if any on release date?

I cant be the only one that thinks its gonna slip into 05, were getting close to Sept. As far as I know that was the lastest date I heard.

again, fable will be out in september. the game is basically done -- all they're doing now is the polish and bug squashing... which is a good thing because when i played it, there were plenty of glitches.... which didn't detract from the overall experience, believe it or not.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
On a PC release:

Molynuex has said 'maybe' I suppose it mainly depends on whether Microsoft want to keep it as Xbox exclusive or not. Personally i dont think the combat would work that well on keyboard and mouse but still 'maybe' it is.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
rastex said:
So [some] critics agree that KOtoR is the best [going by a purely numerical scale without considering the text of the review] RPG ever [that they've played] [in the last couple of years because GameRankings does not include games prior to the mid-late 90's].
Fixed.

Analogy time: According to Rotten Tomatoes, which is the film equilivant of Game Rankings, Toy Story 2 is the best film of all time. Does this make it so? I think I could find hundreds of millions of people who might think otherwise.

Iceman

We get it, you don't think KOTOR is the best RPG evar.

You still have to admit with 117 reviews in print a 94% average rating is rather impressive. That's As across the board.. hardly something that you'd consider a waste of time if you're an RPG fanatic.

I personally have fonder memories of playing through my favorite SEGA and Game Design RPGs, e.g. Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia, Lunar.. but even I have to admit that Knights of the Old Republic takes them all to task in most categories save nostalgia and characters... and space filling, time wasting hugemungous exploding magic spells/summons. Even the ambience created in KOTOR is a match against any console type RPG I've ever played; I got sucked right into the game.

If Fable can meet or exceed the handicraft that is KOTOR than I will be more than happy.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Iceman said:
You still have to admit with 117 reviews in print a 94% average rating is rather impressive. That's As across the board.. hardly something that you'd consider a waste of time if you're an RPG fanatic.
Oh, undoubtedly. As I said earlier, "Of course, a high percentage rating on Game Rankings is generally a mark of quality."

Even if I didn't like KOTOR, I wouldn't have a problem with other people liking it...just don't try telling me it's the best RPG ever because it happens to be ranked that way on GR.

Mrbob

Is Lionhead in an upswing? Is Black and White an abomination? Will Fable lead the company back to prominence? News at 11.

Iceman

I'll need to see a new Syndicate that recaptures the brilliance of the first game (well, at least the first half).. oh and bring back Bullfrog!!

bullfrog.gif

BULLFROG FO LIFE!

Aside from Fable, Lionhead's only made very niche games: very experimental, prone to imbalance and alienate most users through lack of proper direction, etc. IMO. They need more mass market focus.

chespace

Mrbob said:
Is Lionhead in an upswing? Is Black and White an abomination? Will Fable lead the company back to prominence? News at 11.

My colleague Evan Shamoon asked me yesterday why I say Fable will get 8's and 9's but not 10's (if you all remember, KOTOR did receive a few 10's). Having only played 2 hours of the game, the answer was obvious: I hadn't seen the whole game, but judging purely on the promise and the potential of the whole hero-perception system, the game deserves at least 8's. Of course, it could all be shit after the first 2 hours -- who knows. And yet, something held me back from saying the game will get 10's. What that is, I'm still trying to figure out. Let's put it this way... for all those that played LOZ: WW prior to release, would you have predicted 10 scores? Did LOZ: WW get 10's?

And to comment on Iceman's post about the studio needing more commercial direction... what I love about Fable is the fact that the game has both the social experimentation and a straightforward, move-along story complete with a map and goals tacked onscreen.

----

Ixarulean

"1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES Nintendo 13 9.3 95.4% 95.2%
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic XBOX LucasArts 116 9.0 94.0% 94.2%
3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn PC Interplay 36 8.6 93.7% 93.7%
4. Final Fantasy III SNES Square Enix 10 9.2 94.1% 93.4%
5. Panzer Dragoon Saga SAT Sega 8 8.6 93.9% 93.4%
6. Chrono Trigger SNES Square Enix 10 9.2 94.4% 93.3%
7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC LucasArts 43 8.8 93.1% 93.1%
8. Final Fantasy VII PS SCEA 31 8.9 93.3% 92.9%
9. Lunar: Eternal Blue SCD Working Designs 7 8.3 92.9% 92.9%
10. Baldur's Gate PC Interplay 24 8.5 91.0% 92.5% "

These are the best rpg's according to gamerankings.com. Kotor is the best this generation according to this "closest thing you can get to an unbiased review source" website.

jedimike

http://chespace.1up.com/

Update:
According to co-workers, my Fable/Forza update yesterday freaked out my boss, who's worried that, although I'm only doing a service to Xbox gamers everywhere, I may also inadvertently be spilling the beans on XBN's exclusives strategy for all our competition to analyze. I don't think I said a whole lot in my update, but if it makes the man upstairs uneasy, who am I to point out otherwise. So Tom, Fran, and the rest of the OXM guys, if you're reading this blog, that will be my last security breach. From now on, you'll get nothing out of me!

Ooops

Fable sounds quite intrigueing, even if I don't actually own an XBox. If Xbox 2 is not backwards compatible, then I might have to pick up a cheap one then for that, Kotor 1&2, and Panzer Dragoon.

KotOR seems brilliant, but my personal favorite RPG is Xenogears, and I love similar Japanese style RPGs, such as Star Ocean,Final Fantasy, and Suikoden. KotOR might be the most critally acclaimed RPG for consoles ever, but I doubt that anything that is not Xenogears-like could topple it for me simply because of what I want in an RPG.

As for Sudeki, FPS magic just doesn't sit right with me. I can't bring myself to even consider it when I think of RPGs.

chespace

Diomedeskun said:
Fable sounds quite intrigueing, even if I don't actually own an XBox. If Xbox 2 is not backwards compatible, then I might have to pick up a cheap one then for that, Kotor 1&2, and Panzer Dragoon.

KotOR seems brilliant, but my personal favorite RPG is Xenogears, and I love similar Japanese style RPGs, such as Star Ocean,Final Fantasy, and Suikoden. KotOR might be the most critally acclaimed RPG for consoles ever, but I doubt that anything that is not Xenogears-like could topple it for me simply because of what I want in an RPG.

As for Sudeki, FPS magic just doesn't sit right with me. I can't bring myself to even consider it when I think of RPGs.

Sudeki is strictly an action RPG. How you view Sudeki will depend on whether you qualify games such as System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as RPGs. I enjoy a FPS RPG every now and then. Unfortunately, all the hands-on time I've had with the Sudeki preview point to sugar-coated mediocrity. :(

----

3rdman

Diomedeskun said:

KoToR is brilliant and easily the best game I played last year. I can actually go further than that and say it was the best RPG I've played scince Skies of Arcadia and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But, like you said, it comes down to personal taste and by the sounds of it, you really prefer the Japanese style of RPG's. As for me, if Fable comes anywhere near what KoToR did, I'll be a happy man.

I hope Fable really delivers. I haven't played an RPG since Planescape Torment that just made me want to keep playing it until I finished. Star Wars: KoTOR has been the only RPG to me that's been anywhere near Torment in the last 5 years.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I have high hopes for Fable

And for me, the best RPG is Baldur's Gate II. Without competition.

siege

Banned
Unfortunately, all the hands-on time I've had with the Sudeki preview point to sugar-coated mediocrity.

Stfu_n00b.jpg

Seriously though, if Sudeki ends up being just an average action RPG, I'll cry. I've watched like 2 hours worth of gameplay footage and cutscenes for that game in the last week. Looks like alot of fun.

AniHawk

chespace said:
exactly. in fact, i'd go so far as to say that if zelda is considered an action RPG, then so is ninja gaiden, and every castlevania released in the past 3 years.

----

http://chespace.ogamo.com

Actually, I know a guy who counts Castlevania as RPGs. Personally, I wouldn't count the Zelda series, but I'd count Zelda 2 as the only action-RPG in the series.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
yacobod said:
i agree that baldur's gate 2 with the expansion pack The Throne of Bhaal is the best RPG, imo of course

Top Bottom