• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time that I come clean, guys................ I... don't dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
There are two types of people that dance.

- Those that dance and look good
- Those that dance and look BAD... but don't care because they're having fun.

Now, I can't dance and I'm not about to since I care too much about looking like an idiot. It doesn't come naturally to me so I've just stopped trying. If people ask if I dance or if it's necessary that I tell them, they either don't believe me or else I get shit like "You're no fun!", "I'm going to make you then!", or "What's the big deal?"

Hey, they're RIGHT. It's not a philosophy for me. It's an obstacle.

Do you dance? No? Why not?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I do my best to avoid it. Frankly though, if I really can't get out of it without people thinking I'm no fun, I'll just do it. I'll look like an idiot, but in my experience people (generally girls, I've never heard a guy insist you have to dance) prefer a crap dancer to someone who refuses point blank.

EDIT: And I don't have fun, I don't like it. Just makes my life easier.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I have a really good sense of rhythm and every once in a great while (usually while a bit drunk) I may do a little pseudo-dance which is met with neutral-to-positive response, but no, I never dance. I'm 23 and the last time I danced was at my 8th grade dance, and all I did was slow dance. If I went to a club or whatever, would I be able to hold my own? Who the fuck knows. But I'm waaaaay to self-conscious to find out. Supposedly chicks love guys who can dance well, so mabe one day in the next 20 or 30 years I'll give it a shot and see what heppens, heh.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I dance when I'm hammered and never try anything extravagent. nobody looks at the pub anyway. Everybody is looking at the girls dance.

kablooey

Yeah, I dance. At prom when they had one of those big circles for someone to dance solo, I mustered up the courage to jump in. Actually turned out pretty well, somehow.

I guess it's because I have a pretty natural sense of rhythm, being a drummer, and I can move my feet, being a tennis player. Sucks that I still can't get any girls though. :p

Socreges

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I do my best to avoid it. Frankly though, if I really can't get out of it without people thinking I'm no fun, I'll just do it. I'll look like an idiot, but in my experience people (generally girls, I've never heard a guy insist you have to dance) prefer a crap dancer to someone who refuses point blank.
Yeah, that's what I've found.

And I'll just admit right now that such is the reason why this thread exists. A lady friend from Colombia was (just now) giving me a hard time on MSN for not dancing and saying she'd "make me". I figure that obliging is the way to her heart, but at the same time I could totally turn off this great girl that is interested in me once she sees what an awkward goof I can be.

Girl: Come on! Dance! ....alright, yeah!

*we begin dancing*

Girl: ...wait, what are you doing!?

Me: I'm... I'm dancing...

Girl: Oh... oh. Oh, I'm sorry.

Me: This was a mistake.

Girl: No! Well... yeah, you're probably right.

**flashes Cubsfan signal**

I'll probably take the train there and just drink myself stupid. I'm actually in the minority and not an ass when drunk, so it can't hurt.

thefit

Practice guys do it at home in the privacy of your room also if you have a female friend who can dance ask for help they seem to dig on that. Sometimes not dancing can be a pluss if you get aproached by a girl be honest and say your dancing suck but do it anyway she will be impressed that you made an effort for her anyway. I din't dance for a long time but once I got into it I got hooked and its good exercise.

Boogie

Socreges said:
There are two types of people that dance.

- Those that dance and look good
- Those that dance and look BAD... but don't care because they're having fun.

Now, I can't dance and I'm not about to since I care too much about looking like an idiot. It doesn't come naturally to me so I've just stopped trying. If people ask if I dance or if it's necessary that I tell them, they either don't believe me or else I get shit like "You're no fun!", "I'm going to make you then!", or "What's the big deal?"

Hey, they're RIGHT. It's not a philosophy for me. It's an obstacle.

Do you dance? No? Why not?

Yep, that pretty much sounds like me, too.

demi

Jill Sandwich said:
Where's that JC Van Damme gif?

jeanclizaude.gif

SKluck

Banned
I don't derive any kind of fun or entertainment from dancing, so I don't. I'm all about the foot tapping and head bobbing though.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
learning to dance isn't worth it when mutual masturbation can be picked up in seconds

Mama Smurf

Does anyone even know any girls who don't like to dance? I'm sure they must exist, but I haven't met them. Must be built in, like guys like things like throwing balls hard from birth.

In fact, we should open a club where you go along and get dressed up and can get pissed, but no dancing. Just throwing balls hard. And when girls complain and say they can't throw the ball hard, we'll say they're no fun.

Trakball

Banned
Shaking your ass is one of the most important things you can do as a human being. If you look stupid, who gives a fuck? This ain't Solid Gold and you ain't Danny Terio.

If you need to learn rhythm, play DDR. Just don't do any DDR-esque moves on the dancefloor; I can't help you if you don't follow my advice there.

Mama Smurf

Hah, DDR isn't gonna help shit. I'm quite happy to play that in front of others, whether I know them or not. First time I did though it was at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which is a theme park. I was there with a bunch of people and my girlfriend at the time and she and her mate went on as they love dancing first. They got Ds or something. Then me and my mate went on and both got As first time, as we played it like a game while they actually tried to dance or something.

The girls were so pissed off, but tried not to show it. Good times.

Trakball

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Hah, DDR isn't gonna help shit.

It'll help you learn rhythm, I don't give a fuck what anyone says. But the "stepping" style isn't going to win any fans on the dancefloor. However, like I said before, who gives a fuck what other people think? If you can dance, you can fuck, and chicks know this.

I can't dance but I do anyways, cause you know what? 90% of people fucking sucks at it, its all about letting loose and having fun and as a result you tend to look at least competent at it (at least I do).

Mama Smurf

The problem is in the assumption that people WILL have fun. Which isn't true. You can suck and have fun, that's fine. I sucked for YEARS at football until I finally "got it", but I still liked it and played on. Ain't that way with dancing, not for me anyway.

I can follow rhythm. There's no problem with that, I can play the piano and I'm good at dance games and Samba. Doesn't mean you can dance though, I don't know what to do with my body or feet. Arms in particulalry are a problem.

teiresias

I have a good sense of rhythm given the amount of music training I've had, but I just don't know how to move, which is the main obstacle to dancing for me, not the rhythm part.

Trakball

Banned
FnordChan said:
I dance poorly, but with enthusiasm. Follow my lead! Shake your ass!

There isn't better advice than this! Swing your hips to the left on the downbeat, swing your hips to the right on the upbeat. Shake that ass, son!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I love dancing... I listen to hip hop... so they great thing about that is if you don't know how to dance you can always go to the "Gangstas don't dance we boogie" or just "lean back" type of dancing and it is all good. Besides you got to love a music where good dancing is like having sex... :lol

Loki

Count of Concision
Socreges, I only read your first post and skimmed over the rest, but is the problem that you can't dance (i.e., you have no rhythm) or that you just have some hang-ups about it (e.g., self-consciousness)? Going by what you said, I'd say the former, but then you also expressed concern about "looking like an idiot", so I dunno.

Anyway, I'm actually a good dancer, but I do have inhibition issues, namely my self-consciousness. I've found over the years that the best way to remedy this when you go out is to ease into the dancing gradually. First, when you arrive at "the spot", mingle a bit, say hello to peeps, and start swigging whatever it is you'll be drinking for the evening. By the time the formalities have been dispensed with and you've made some idle chat, you should be on your second drink already. From my experience, if you can manage to sneak in that third drink before hitting the dance floor, you should be fine. Feel free to do "the beer sway" to the music so that it doesn't look too obvious that you're putting off getting your groove on until you're buzzed. :D

Then again, it seems that you're an experienced drinker going by your posts in other topics, so perhaps it would take you many more drinks to stop being self-conscious than it does me. :p By the fourth or fifth beer, I generally have a nice buzz going and I really couldn't give a shit about how I look. :) I'm sure you've tried going the inebriation route, though, or else you wouldn't be posting this topic. Beyond this I'm all out of advice, however. :D

If it's that you can't dance well, try to make some time for lessons on the weekends or something. It'll pay dividends in the long run, female-wise. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not bad at dancing, but I always feel like an idiot anyway. Get me drunk though, and I might just start dancing even if there isn't music.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Mama Smurf said:
You can get lessons for the sort of dancing that goes on in clubs?
I think Will Smith's new movie will take care of that.

Loki

Count of Concision
Mama Smurf said:
You can get lessons for the sort of dancing that goes on in clubs?

Well, I guess it depends on where you live, but here in NY, sure, you can find people giving lessons for any sort of dance.

aoi tsuki

FnordChan said:
I dance poorly, but with enthusiasm. Follow my lead! Shake your ass! Seriously, just quit worrying about what people think of you and go nuts.

I'm not helping, am I? Here, here's a helpful instructional video. Soon you will be a dancing machine!

FnordChan
i almost cried when they started playing the music from the Moskau vid posted earlier. i think it's time for an avatar change.

AntoneM

going by the posts here, I'm starting to think that girls go to club to find drunk guys who will dance. Guys go to the club to find drunk girls who will have sex with them. It makes sense, except for the few guys who go to the club to dance and the few (or is it many) girls who go to the club to get laid.

Trakball

Banned
max_cool said:
going by the posts here, I'm starting to think that girls go to club to find drunk guys who will dance. Guys go to the club to find drunk girls who will have sex with them. It makes sense, except for the few guys who go to the club to dance and the few (or is it many) girls who go to the club to get laid.

You may have just broken the code, my man, my mellow

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I won a prize for dancing when I went out one night... I dunno if they felt sorry for me or if they really thought i was a good dancer.

ohamsie

I suck at dancing, no matter what fancy or simple moves I try to pull off it always devolves into just hopping from my left foot to my right foot and bobbing my head up and down. It does not work for me.

Chony

I dance and look bad, but I have a lot of fun, and make my friends around me nervous when I attempt break-dancing.

MIMIC

Banned
You're not alone :)

R to the Ezzy, M to the Yzzy
My arms stay breezy, the Don stay flizzy
Got a date at 8, I'm in the 7-4-fizzive
And I just bought a bike so I can ride till I die
With a matchin jacket, 'bout to cop me a mansion
My niggaz in the club, but you know they not dancin
We gangsta, and gangstas don't dance with boogies

So never mind how we got in here with burners and hoodies
Listen we don't pay admission and the bouncers don't check us
And we - walk around the metal detectors
And there really ain't a need for a VIP section
In the middle of the dance floor reckless, check it
Said he - liked my necklace, started relaxin
Now that's what the fuck I call a chain reaction
See "Money Ain't a Thing" nigga, we still the same niggaz
Flows just changed now we bout to change the game nigga

Just lean back. :)

And to answer the question: yeah, I dance. Why? Because I'm black. :lol

But dancing is all about rhythm (which I guess is retardedly obvious). Just watch a lot of rap videos and go with the flow (just don't be jerky in the movement).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wasn't certain how well I could, but then I went to a few dance parties and people sure seemed to think so. Some have come and asked me to teach them, but I always just freestyle so I tell them to feel the beat and don't be affraid to move and make stuff up. I think with most people bad dancing is just fear of getting too liberal with their movements, but then I've definitely met a few who seemed to have no idea how to control their body or any sense of rhythm. I'd like to learn how to breakdance someday.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
It's all about alcohol. If you feel like an idiot while dancing just get drunk and all will be good.

FoneBone

I used to be really self-conscious about dancing at parties. But I stopped... being surrounded by terrible dancers, it's hard to feel bad about being one yourself.

EDIT: Socreges, check your PM.

as a girl, when i see guys dancing and i can tell they think they're the next justin timberlake, i'm turned off. to me a guy looks cooler if he's being laid back (leaning back?) or just goofing around/having fun than if he's getting all nsyncified on the dance floor.

and if you're worried about looking stupid, don't. go ahead and look stupid.

at least you won't come off as too pompous.

of course, this is all coming from a girl who misses the days of dancing crotch-to-crotch and not ass-to-crotch. so take it with a grain of salt.

hXc_thugg

I was going to find that video of all those hXc scene kids doing their dance (floor-punch) thing and say something witty implying that's how I danced. But I'm too lazy. So just imagine. :)

of course, this is all coming from a girl who misses the days of dancing crotch-to-crotch and not ass-to-crotch. so take it with a grain of salt.

...crotch to crotch?...uh, why dont you initiate me?

anyway, I always get the vibe that the whole point of dancing is so that the girls can look sexy and desirable in order to get attention. Most of them think they're all that, especially towards guys, and they're ready to show off and are pleased when you hit the floor. They can see how smoother, sexier and more rythmic they are compared to you and they feel happy being better than you. So basically, all you're doing when dancing with them, when you have absolutely no desire or taste for it, is giving them attention and satisfaction.

Just make the connection to video games and sports. Most guys will cream girls at that. And dancing is just as useful and fun as playing videogames or sports that you like. Turning down dancing is absolutely no different than turning down a Virtua Fighter match. Don't let those rave girls or anyone else make you believe you're a loser because you don't dance. It's not a problem at all.

Mr Gump

Banned
I dance all the time when i hit clubs, and im very good at it.

Couldnt dance for shit about 3 years ago but now things are much much different.

It doesnt come natural to all people but thats why you practice.

hXc_thugg said:
I was going to find that video of all those hXc scene kids doing their dance (floor-punch) thing and say something witty implying that's how I danced. But I'm too lazy. So just imagine. :)

Didn't someone like Gorilla Biscuits make a video with a bunch of hXc dance techniques? "The change pick up" and such? That was a hilarious video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom