• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's two years until Destiny celebrates the original decade roadmap, what is next in your opinion?

What do you think is likely next for Destiny when it hits the original decade date?

• Carry on expanding Destiny 2

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Destiny 3

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Rebrand of Destiny 2 back to 'Destiny' as a GaaS

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
The Destiny universe is now 8 years old - is the Final Shape going to the be the last expansion before we see Destiny 3? It was always planned a decade ahead, but what does beyond the big ten look like? Destiny 3? Rebrand back to 'Destiny' or just carry on with expansions?

.....link
When the creator of Halo, Bungie, officially announced Destiny two years ago, it did not reveal a single game, it revealed a ten-year plan. According to the studio’s contract with Activision (which was revealed in full online due to the publisher’s legal battle with ex-Infinity Ward developers, Vince Zampanella and Jason West), the development team committed to at least a decade on the project. Now that the first game is out, how is that going to work?

“So what I’ll say to you is: we said that we were a ten-year game, and both Activision and Bungie have committed to being wholly behind the large effort, and it’s a large investment for both sides. I don’t think there’s any set date – ten years is just representing the go-forward presence and the way that we think about doing things.”

Lady Jane

Banned
Hasn’t Bungie already confirmed that they’re working on a new IP? I’m expecting Destiny 2 to be in maintenance mode (expansions every quarter or so) as long as the population/profits are worth the effort similar to WoW.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Think they already said they are just going to carry on. Personally after what 7 or so years ive finally grown tired of it. No proper PVP updates for a couple of years did me in. I didnt even finish the last campaign. Love Destiny but they should move on and maybe revisit/ reboot the franchise down the line.

Perrott

Gold Member
A next-gen only SKU with *all* the story content fit into one or two Blu Ray discs thanks to the latest compression techniques allowed by the super fast SSDs. They have no excuse.

Lady Jane

Banned
Think they already said they are just going to carry on. Personally after what 7 or so years ive finally grown tired of it. No proper PVP updates for a couple of years did me in. I didnt even finish the last campaign. Love Destiny but they should move on and maybe revisit/ reboot the franchise down the line.

Bungie low-key hinted that they wish they didn't introduce PvP (Crucible) in Destiny 1 because it limits what they can do in PvE. It wouldn't surprise me if their next IP has no PvP. Ever since Reach, Bungie seems to be annoyed by the concept.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Start over with 3 and use a better/faster engine. The load times in Destiny 1 and 2 are atrocious, but I haven't played since PS4.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
2 more expansion then a new game or destiny 3. Game is so bloated now even with all the shit removed they should have moved to d3 with shadow keep.

DonF

I would love it if they separated the pvp from PvE. I loved pvp but the clear advantage of some end game weapons and equipment, and the lack of impact of all other equipment made the game feel tilted towards people who did the PvE. And that's ok. I just didn't have the time to do all the PvE stuff.
Make pvp f2p or something, cause that shit was better than halo for me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
A new game. Not Destiny 3... just Destiny.

It's about time to scrap D2 and build something for the next 5-10 years.

or they could make a new game that isn't Destiny.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Destiny 3.
Nextgen only.
All D1 and D2 content. (SSD mandatory so should be easier to manage storage)
The whole archive stuff legit made me quit Destiny cuz i have no idea what i can and cant play anytime i login.

They have inserted so many elements that at some point they had to remove and reinsert them cyclically to streamline the game ... maybe it's time to give it a break and create something new.

Destiny went way too hard into FOMO. They need content that is not limited or seasonal. Make content any player can jump into and enjoy. What if a new player wants to hop into PvP? Good luck, without meta guns and exotics. You are food for the veterans. They need to split PvP and PvE and have a more traditional Halo style arena multiplayer with static guns. Then they can make PvE even more fun with crazy weapons and abilities. I always felt like the game was holding you back because they don't want PvP to be a mess...but it is anyways.

Super grindy, too. There was some cool exotic sniper I wanted way back when I was playing, but when I looked up on how to get it I didn't even try. Way too complicated and annoying to get anything cool in the game. This isn't 2008. There are plenty of other games I can play that don't flat out waste my time like this one tries to do.

Hopefully the new game they make will have a focused vision with good content and gameplay that doesn't FOMO the crap out of its player base.

clarky

Gold Member
Destiny 3.
Nextgen only.
All D1 and D2 content. (SSD mandatory so should be easier to manage storage)
The whole archive stuff legit made me quit Destiny cuz i have no idea what i can and cant play anytime i login.
Its not a storage issue, its QA on their end, Every time they put in something new the QA was getting too much no matter how small the update. As far as i understood it

But yeah not ideal the solution they have now

Last edited:

Gudji

My guess is that they're going to make a new destiny game closer to their original vision and just call it Destiny instead of Destiny 3.

Think it will be closer to a proper mmo experience and less like a lobby type game. At least that's what I and others I've talked to wanted for the original game and sequel. Basically WoW in space with guns and powers.

If they keep the same formula then I'll lose interest quick.

Umbasaborne

Banned
As someone who played destiny 1 for 2 years straight. And played destiny 2 until 2018 or so, i find current destiny 2 to be impenetrable to anyone but the hardcore fans who never left or took time ofd

CuNi

Its not a storage issue, its QA on their end, Every time they put in something new the QA was getting too much no matter how small the update. As far as i understood it

But yeah not ideal the solution they have now
I think the whole foundation of the game is poorly coded and falls apart easily. I remember them saying that adding something new like a new location could break an old location, for whatever reason. I think the game started to take ages to compile as I understood it, before introducing the DCV, "just testing a hotfix" took 1 or more days to compile the build, even when 99% of the content didn't change at all.

Trogdor1123

The next two years are already mapped out and given delays that have already happened I think we can see it going out to 3 easily.

Dynasty8

People like to shit on it for various reasons, but I've never had a series hook me consistently for 8+ years. The game is just incredibly fun with its gunplay, movement, exotics, abilities, and amazing PvE content you can't find in any other FPS today (raids and dungeons). I wouldn't mind them continuing even after Final Shape.

SkylineRKR

destiny 2 is such a clusterfuck of content. wish they would start over with a new game.

Yeah. I played 1 for 500 hours. I played 2 for 40 hours at launch, and then jumped in when it was free to play. I noped out after an hour. It should be like FFXIV, you can safely jump into HW for example. You can play old content.

jaysius

Banned
unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

Destiny needs to become something else, I can't believe people still play this cookie clicker FPS game.

Raven117

Oh, I think they will put it down to focus on other projects. Maybe a few little tweaks here or there, but after a decade, my bet is that the studio wants to move on.

I do still love me some Destiny. The minute to minute gameplay is still some of the best out there for pve. Its just fun to play. That said, I now just play it for the campaigns....maybe a little dungeon here or there, but that's it. Don't have the time or care to gear up for those Raids anymore (which is a bummer because it is the best content in the game).

Curious to see how it all wraps up.

Roxkis_ii

I loved my time with Destiny. My mate and I had lots of fun, but I don't have the time to invest in the game anymore, especially when it's a lot of other games that I want to sink my teeth into.

I'll probably come back to Destiny one day, I always do. Bungie is still the king when it comes to how guns feel to shoot.

Dynasty8

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

Destiny needs to become something else, I can't believe people still play this cookie clicker FPS game.

Something else like what? It's more unique than 99% of shooters out there. Most of us are tired of the same old PvP only formula and Destiny offers a lot more. I totally get the game not being everyone's cup of tea, but when people say it needs to be something else or call it cookie clicker, they don't realize just how big the game is.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Wow feels like I am the only one actually enjoying Destiny here. Joined since season of arrival and all the seasons since then has been great, story is actually excellent now, Artifact mods is basically forced flavor of the month which is great for casuals who don't wanna build craft and seasonal activities are well mostly average.

I don't think even now they will jump to D3. D2 on PC runs like a dream, they're working on a funny fps for next gen Matter anyway alongwith a mobile shooter game. D2 will be running for a long time, I think.

Loved Destiny and Destiny 2, but I just couldn’t keep up with the treadmill. I have a full time job and a family, and trying to keep up and see all the content was impossible. A fresh start would be nice, but who am I kidding? I wouldn’t be able to see most of the content anyway.
Same here. I always buy the latest expansion and season passes but I stopped trying to see everything. I was putting other games to the side to grind the same events over and over in Destiny. It can really consume all of your gaming time with little reward at the end.

Dutchy

destiny 2 is such a clusterfuck of content. wish they would start over with a new game.
Same. Me and my sister used to play almost every day. It was a blast.

Right now, every time we return to the game, we spend literal hours trying to figure out how to do all of the new content in chronological order. Not to mention we're holding onto tons of quest items for planets that aren't in the game anymore. Shit's confusing.

I wouldn't say the amount of content is the problem, but more so the way it's presented to the player.

if they didn't ruin Destiny 1 PVP right before D2's launch...i would still play D1 and just avoid the nonsense that is Destiny 2

bring on Destiny 3 so they can completely mess that up too, then spend the next 5 years reverting all the stuff they changed. Just like d2

The seasonal model (drip-feeding content throughout the season) and the less than stellar expansion (Shadowkeep and Beyond Light), accompanied by the FOMO-inducing sunset concept show that Destiny 2 has not much leg left. Bungie has proved they can't develop enough "meaningful" content to keep players engaged long-term, so they just made what they can extra grindy and not that rewarding at all.

I wish they would start fresh and make Destiny more MMORPG-shooter than an FPS RPG-lite game. The franchise has potential but and don't think Bungie can realize its potential. I think if they want to begin fresh, then Lightfall could be their big chance. Ending here the Destiny 2 Saga.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

The fundamental problem with this game is that hte onboarding is fucking TERRIBLE. I have absolutely no idea what in the fuck the story is or why I should care, which severly limits my desire to attempt to figure out the ultra convoluted gameplay systems. I'm not interested in playing another entry in this franchise.

Some people have the audacity to claim that Warframe is more obtuse than Destiny.
Destiny doesn't even make it clear which maps are still in the game, nevermind the rest of the systems. It's basically pretentious Hellgate with worse loot.

clarky

Gold Member
The fundamental problem with this game is that hte onboarding is fucking TERRIBLE. I have absolutely no idea what in the fuck the story is or why I should care, which severly limits my desire to attempt to figure out the ultra convoluted gameplay systems. I'm not interested in playing another entry in this franchise.
Yeah, game has a lot of issues personally for me but this is a big one. As a OG Vault of Glass vet I hammered this game constantly up until Beyond light but like i said earlier the lack of anything PVP related made me finally drop it. I tried to get back onboard with the Witch Queen but the amount of currencies (always been a problem) quests and jobs to do turned me right off again. Not to mention everyone i played with had also moved on making dungeons and raids impossible. Really did enjoy my time with it though, when it was good there's nothing else like it.

Might give the campaign another go sometime..

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Bungie low-key hinted that they wish they didn't introduce PvP (Crucible) in Destiny 1 because it limits what they can do in PvE. It wouldn't surprise me if their next IP has no PvP. Ever since Reach, Bungie seems to be annoyed by the concept.

As a PvE player, this information doesn't bother me at all.

Lady Jane

Banned
As a PvE player, this information doesn't bother me at all.

It shouldn't bother anyone, including people who prefer PvP like me. Bungie's heart hasn't been in PvP for their last three games and it shows. They should only focus on what they want to do, not what they think they is expected of them.

Last edited:
New IP, I was never able to care about Destiny at all. They had success with Destiny as a new IP, do it again, but better this time.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It shouldn't bother anyone, including people who prefer PvP like me. Bungie's heart hasn't been in PvP for their last three games and it shows. They should only focus on what they want to do, not what they think they is expected of them.
For me PVP was something to do after you'd waxed the PVE stuff after reset. I quite enjoyed it, chasing Recluse and Not forgotten. They put a solo que in comp but they took the pinnacles and the chase away, that's around the time I started to lose interest I think. That and they deleted all my crucible tokens I'd horded up, I didn't know it was coming because I stopped paying attention and reading the TWAB.

Last edited:

sainraja

I don't think they need to start over and/or separate PVP from PVE. I like being able to take guns I acquire from PVE into PVP - definitely do not want the static guns aspect from Halo (no thanks!). And Bungie wanted to continue updating Destiny 1. It was because of Activision they did a Destiny 2; so I don't think we will be getting a Destiny 3 (at-least not in the traditional sequelized way.)

Destiny went way too hard into FOMO. They need content that is not limited or seasonal. Make content any player can jump into and enjoy. What if a new player wants to hop into PvP? Good luck, without meta guns and exotics. You are food for the veterans. They need to split PvP and PvE and have a more traditional Halo style arena multiplayer with static guns. Then they can make PvE even more fun with crazy weapons and abilities. I always felt like the game was holding you back because they don't want PvP to be a mess...but it is anyways.

Super grindy, too. There was some cool exotic sniper I wanted way back when I was playing, but when I looked up on how to get it I didn't even try. Way too complicated and annoying to get anything cool in the game. This isn't 2008. There are plenty of other games I can play that don't flat out waste my time like this one tries to do.

Hopefully the new game they make will have a focused vision with good content and gameplay that doesn't FOMO the crap out of its player base.
You can get it now from the Monument of Light. :D

Last edited:
They need to make the game not feel like a chorez but being a chore is what makes them the most money. I've played Destiny since the launch of the first game, but I've finally grown tired of it. I didn't even finish the last campaign.

Gojiira

Well theres still at least two expansions coming, Lightfall and The Final Shape. Afterwards Bungie has mentioned a redefinition or refreshing (whichever term they chose)…Sooooo I expect Destiny 3 as a ‘fresh start’ for the series. I imagine it will be closer to how they originally pitched Destiny with a more open universe with actual faction dynamics etc.
But before that Im sure the new IP first, and I have zero doubt there will be some Playstation exclusive Destiny spinoff titles as well.

OZ9000

Banned
Destiny 2 was awesome until you had to put in more hours playing the game than actually working for your goddamn job.

The grind in that game was fucking ridiculous. The requirements to unlock or upgrade your gear were utter insanity.

Dynasty8

For me PVP was something to do after you'd waxed the PVE stuff after reset. I quite enjoyed it, chasing Recluse and Not forgotten. They put a solo que in comp but they took the pinnacles and the chase away, that's around the time I started to lose interest I think. That and they deleted all my crucible tokens I'd horded up, I didn't know it was coming because I stopped paying attention and reading the TWAB.

Exactly. Some people assume PvP is the "main" component of the game...which is why a lot of people shit on the game. I know many people who tried the game for about 10-20 hours (mostly PvP since they were Halo fans) and decided the game isn't good.

I've put over 2000 hours into the franchise over the last 8 years. PvP is in fact something you can just partake in if you feel like it or want to earn some cool stuff. I personally like that...is it the best PvP experience? No, of course not...but after getting good and more familiar with the game, it ends up clicking and becoming fun.

Honestly, there isn't a single FPS on the market that does what Destiny's PvE does. Their raids and dungeons are on a whole different level of quality, but I totally agree about the entry point being shit. The new player experience is shit, especially considering that new lights get thrown into the mid point of the story without knowing what's going on. But once it clicks, it's something special that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Top Bottom