• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: Gunstar Wankery

The End

Ok, ok.

I'm kind of broke this month, so I'm faced with a bit of dilemma. Do I pick up the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box for PS2, or Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA?

Also, I'm fucking tempted to get the Saturn Controller for PS2, it looks brilliant for 2-D fighters and shmups.

PolyGone

Banned
The End said:
Ok, ok.

I'm kind of broke this month, so I'm faced with a bit of dilemma. Do I pick up the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box for PS2, or Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA?

Also, I'm fucking tempted to get the Saturn Controller for PS2, it looks brilliant for 2-D fighters and shmups.

the gba version. get the other one later on virtual console.

The End

Hmmm.

An interesting proposition, indeed.

The lack of multiplayer in GSH is a bit discouraging, though.

also (thanks jiji)

Each game has several display options available: interlace (480i), progressive (480p), progressive with scanlines, and a non-interlaced mode. This last mode is the most sought-after of the four for those of us who still use standard-definition televisions, as it presents the games in their original resolution, pixel-perfect, without blur or interlacing, and with the scanlines right where they should be. Also included for each game are control assignment options, options to record and play back replays, a smoothing option that antialiases the onscreen image, a "deflicker" option that makes the 480i mode much easier on the eyes, and an option that can allow the emulated Genesis to display an unlimited number of sprites, removing sprite flicker from the games entirely. Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier both have superplays recorded by expert players included, though to be honest, Alien Soldier lends itself much better to the superplay treatment (and its replay is impressive indeed).

PolyGone

Banned
I'd still say go for the original on virtual console because it'll be cheaper anyway. You probably won't see the GBA one for awhile if you don't get it now, no multiplayer is a let down but then, its a fun (albeit VERY short) ride.

The End

It all comes down to pricing: $25 for 3 Genesis games (and a couple different versions of each), 2 Game Gear games (Gunstar and DH) and a SMS game (DH).

Varuna

The End said:

Everyone tells me that the Saturn pad is the best for shumps. I just ordered one of those saturn controller converters for use with my dreamcast shmups, but I'm not sure which saturn pad would be the best. There are quite a few. Any advice?

I was also looking at the ascii fighting pad...

How would that compare to the Saturn pad as far as shmups are concerned?

The End

I think the "saturn pad for shmups" is based on both nostalgia (shmup fans have much love for the system) and practicality (the d-pad on the ps2 blows, and official sega-branded saturn controllers for ps2 are cheap).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think the darkstalkers version of the ps2 saturn pad is on sale at play asia. it's sort of purple and irridescent, but it's a great pad, and it makes treasure box oddly more satisfying. can't play gunstar without three big buttons in a row. there's also something uncanny about a saturn pad with a big playstation logo stamped in the middle.

as for your question, i say it depends on whether you've played alien soldier -- if not, get treasure box. otherwise gsh is a fun new game and should take precedence, even if it's an unsatisfactory sequel to gunstar heroes.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the music is noticeably different, but it doesn't sound bad, and all the extras and display options make treasure box a pretty impressive compilation. the japanese version of dynamite headdy is interesting. your nemesis the cat's head is purple and happy instead of brown and frowny -- for starters!

ghibli99

Mr_Furious said:
Treasure Box all the way baby :D
Definitely. The games in this collection are much better than GSH, IMO. All the extras (including the games they didn't even have to include as bonuses) make it a very worthwhile purchase.

I don't have any problems playing any of the games in the Treasure Box with a standard DS2 or my Hori RAP, the latter of which is my weapon of choice for shmups.

Varuna

ghibli99 said:
I don't have any problems playing any of the games in the Treasure Box with a standard DS2 or my Hori RAP, the latter of which is my weapon of choice for shmups.

What is the "Hori RAP," and where can I find one?

ghibli99

Varuna said:
What is the "Hori RAP," and where can I find one?
Real Arcade Pro stick... I haven't checked around in a while, and there have been some limited editions since I bought mine (like the Special Edition/Addition sticks). Check around with all the usual suspects when it comes to import stores (Play-Asia, Lik Sang, NCSX, etc.), and I just looked on eBay, and I only found one (for $120). The seller says he has 3 different ones, but is only listing 1 for now. Might be worth contacting him to see what's what if you're interested.

Tain

There are quite a few. Any advice?

The second US controller. Not the analog, but not the launch with the massive shoulder pad buttons.

I guess it could be nostalgia, but it could also be how fucking worn-in it is. It really does seem perfect to me.

ghibli99

Tain said:
The second US controller. Not the analog, but not the launch with the massive shoulder pad buttons.

I guess it could be nostalgia, but it could also be how fucking worn-in it is. It really does seem perfect to me.
This one, right?

controllers-005-thumb.jpg

I never had that one, but it looks just like the J-Saturn controller, just with different colors. I got so used to using the substantially bigger analog NiGHTS controller for said game and Radiant Silvergun, though, that going back to the regular one felt weird. I liked that I could place it on my lap and hit the buttons rapidly like I can in the arcade, whereas I find the normal pad to be too small to do that. Anyway, go with whatever works, eh? :)

Tain

I liked that I could place it on my lap and hit the buttons rapidly like I can in the arcade, whereas I find the normal pad to be too small to do that.
I actually place my fingers on top of the second US controller's buttons individually like that with plenty of Saturn/Dreamcast(with adaptor) fighting games, heh. But yeah, that one.

Link316

Banned
The End said:
Ok, ok.

get Treasure Box first cause that'll probably be harder to find than the GBA version later on

I picked up the Darkstalkers version, the Saturn button layout's not that good for fighters anymore tbqh, after messing around with it I went back to using my Ascii pad

The End

Link316 said:
get Treasure Box first cause that'll probably be harder to find than the GBA version later on

I picked up the Darkstalkers version, the Saturn button layout's not that good for fighters anymore tbqh, after messing around with it I went back to using my Ascii pad

Let me clarify.

When I say "fighters" I mean "SNK's stuff, 3rd Strike, and a little bit of Guilty Gear". Obviously I'm not using it for Tekken or VF.

The End said:
Ok, ok.

Treasure Box, and Saturn pad = YES. You can't buy those separately if you don't already have the latter. I WON'T ALLOW IT. Also, Alien Soldier is a million times the game GSH is.

Tsubaki

Drinky Crow said:
Drill Dozer >>>>>>> Gunstar Suck Heroes

Listen to this man.

GSH is utterly dull. Drill Dozer is GOTY.

But Gunstar Treasure Box is a nice addition. Only legal way to get Alien Solder for less than $150.

Top Bottom