• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've completed Uncharted 4 again

brenobnfm

I am replaying God of War again. This has me thinking, despite having similar review scores, I feel GOW is a significantly better game than UC4.

Feel the opposite, Uncharted 4 writing is on another level completely, has better soundtrack, graphics on par if not better despeite being 2 years older, similar pacing issues, and although God of War has some nice combat mechanics, the encounters are terrible. Also the level design in God of War is completely garbage.

ROMhack

Still an impressive game from every perspective; graphics, gameplay, art style, immersion. Yeah, I know some people have the wrong opinion about the game, the pace is critiziced a lot, but I actually found it to be amazing. You don't know where the game is gonna take you and the different paces makes it breath and adds to the immersion and the cinematic experience. Uncharted 4 it's a classic and I can't wait to play it on the PS5 with enhanced features.

Watching Sam, Nathan and Sullivan together is comfy as fuck . There is a nice chemistry between them and I would watch their over the top adventures forever.

Also the flashbacks of Nathan and Sam when they were kids add a good touch to their backstory and personalities. For the first time, I found the characters charismatic and I cared about them.

I really hope there is an Uncharted 5 with the old gang in the near future.

Agreed, I really liked it - it's the best Uncharted game and probably one of the most enjoyable I've played on PS4.

Loved the parts in Italy and the Scottish Highlands. I think a lot us liked the series for the adventuring aspect of the game and these really comes out in those parts - which are beautiful to look at.

I saw it posted on Twitter once but them dropping the supernatural elements made the game better. I went back to Uncharted 1 after playing it and it's fun but it seems a lot sillier by comparison (maybe age).

The downside for me was the epilogue because it felt a bit tacked on. They went for a strong family vibe towards the end but the parts with Elena didn't work as well for me. Nor his daughter.

All in all, would love to see an Uncharted 5. Maybe with Young Drake.

Last edited:
Loved every minute of it, played through 3 times already, my Daughter enjoys playing it too, and when i get it on plus will definately go for the Plat and give her my copy to play co-op :)

Shut the fuck up your highness

1575082802922.jpg

Love the uncharted series. Finished them all except the first one which I got about 70% through before someone stole my disc from my brothers house. UC4 was fun but it just felt like it should’ve ended a bunch of times and then just kept going. By the end of the game I felt relieved that it was over.

MarlboroRed

Made me buy a Playstation 4 the same way Uncharted 2 made me buy a Playstation 3.

Loved every second of it, well worth it. I enjoyed the direction they took with the more serious tonality in script and presentation, it was appropriate for the supposed last title with Nathan as the protagonist.

kingbean

I couldn't finish it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the game other than some excessive down time.

The only uncharted game I've finished was Golden Abyss and that's because it was basically non-stop.

Hostile_18

Banned
If you play Uncharted 4 expecting in to be paced more like a movie (last third action heavy) I think you'll enjoy it alot more.

My second tun through really emphasised how amazing the script really is, wheres the first time I played it I was a *little* disappointed by the lack of fighting.

It's a toss up between this and Lost Legacy as my favorite Uncharted game.. but ultimately I love them all and have plated every game (+The Last of Us).

pixelation

I really enjoyed this game. Walking simulators are my favorite genre.

Sometimes it’s nice to chill out and explore beautiful environments and advance a good plot. It’s especially welcome after tackling a game like Bloodborne.
Haven't played the game, but I hope your post is an apt description for what's in store for me.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
For me the pace in the beginning of the game was a turn off, when it picks uo it deff does but I think this game could have used more time in the oven story wise. I understand they tech had to rescue it but meh

Jesb

I really enjoyed it. I’m currently on a crushing playthrough but ch 10 is kicking my ass.

As pretty as the game is and as much as I enjoyed it it’s not the be end all game I expected on PS4. I enjoyed the tomb raider games more, and they are better looking games. The tombs and crypts in tomb raider are levels above anything in uc4.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I mean, shooting is bad if you only care about the act of aiming and pressing the trigger to feel super duper satisfaction or whatever, but the combat in general on Uncharted 4 is great. There is no comparable TPS for what the game delivers.
I think a lot of the great things about it get lost on people that don't care for understanding how it works.

As an example, contextual actions are contextual and not automated. Why make the difference? because it is in your control what happens.
For example, if you are out of ammo, attacking an enemy with melee will execute them and give you their weapon.
If you have a vault-able surface betwee you and the enemy and he is not taking cover, you will vault and kick them.
if your partner is close, you can do team attacks, and so on.

The implementation of traversal in combat is amazing as well, sliding, swinging , jumping and climbing are all integrated seamlessly into combat. You can attack during any of this actions and accuracy of enemies decrease as you keep moving encouraging using melee and blind fire as ways to take advantage of your position and movement.

If anything, i think the game has too little combat. I think it needed an "arcade" mode or "time attack" like vanquish. The multiplayer horde mode doesn't count because it's too gimped, you can't do half the shit you can on SP.

i always repost this video when defending U4's combat.

Fuck that level lol. I was stuck there for awhile on crushing 🤣🤣🤣.

I had no complaints about the shooting or the combat tho.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great but disappointing 8.5/10 and my 4th best Uncharted game only ahead of the original Uncharted game. Visuals and audio is excellent but the open areas are empty and pointless unless it's a set piece. Gameplay is fine but the pacing is horrible. Story and characters were disappointing. Hated the ending, hated Sam, hated Nadine as both are completely useless in the game. Subtract both and you lose nothing. The pirate treasure story aspect is barely mentioned and isn't even the focal point when it should be. Instead, it's all about the soap opera drama between Nathan and Elena and after Uncharted 3, I had enough of them to be perfectly honest. The story regarding Salazar from when you escape the prison sounded more intriguing and interesting than the few story arcs that are actually in the game.

Dark Star

I've played it 3x already, and it's one of my favorite PS4 games. Very fun, and the characters are great. It's the first game I got, in 2016, that I literally said out loud during the opening scene "HOLY SHIT THIS IS NEXT GEN!" lmaooo.

Amazing looking game.

uncharted-4-drake-character-shading.jpg

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I am replaying God of War again. This has me thinking, despite having similar review scores, I feel GOW is a significantly better game than UC4.
Gameplay wise it definitely is. Im not even a god of war fan but that game was unbelievably good. I’m about to play it again too

Jon Neu

Banned

I'm playing God Of War right now. Great game, but I found funny hearing that Uncharted 4 has pace issues but nobody says nothing about God Of War and it's boring as hell puzzles/exploration/platforming and it's pacing issues.

Dacon

Banned
It's not a walking simulator, but it's a cinematic game. There's 0 mechanical complexity. It's not that far from walking simulators, the problem is there's a pejorative undertone associated with those. You don't play Uncharted for the rich gameplay because it isn't there, you play it for the visual spectacle, for the insane production value, for the story and characters, the strengths are elsewhere.

See, I totally disagree. While I enjoy the story and characters, I think Uncharted has some fantastic shooting gameplay, especially in Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 4 expanded on its systems for 4( and took away the ability to throw back grenades wtf) but it was so caught up in telling its story that it forgot to let the player revel in the gameplay sandbox.

The pacing in Uncharted 4 is horrid, and there's too many moments of meandering in it, not to mention bossfights where you can literally do nothing but get your ass whooped.

I like UC4 but it is definitely one of the low points in the series. I had more fun with Uncharted 3(after they patched the controls) and that's saying a lot.

Top Bottom