• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've grown confused and frustrated with the "moe culture", and I need to vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Note: Due to the subject matter, I'll admit that I've not exactly researched this subject extensively (because quite honestly, it's hard to find objective coverage of this that doesn't celebrate it), and a lot of it is based on observations. I'd be interested in objective research into this topic, not from a fan's point of view, but an actual study of it from a sociological perspective.

I ask that you use your best judgment when posting any pictures, and only post what is necessary to get your point across, not because it's funny and/or shocking. Probably a good idea to post links instead of the picture directly, and warn of objectionable material.

I'm not exactly sure how to correctly use the terms, but basically, I'm referencing to the overabundance of media, mainly Japanese, which involves rather young looking female characters, sometimes male (although this happens less, and I don't find it as widespread an issue since men aren't regularly objectified like women), that are characteristically drawn with proportions that bring to mind a young girl. Yes, I know not everything that comes out of Japan is like this, but it seems to me like their media is saturated enough by this style that I find it worthy to note. Now, not every show featuring young girls of course I have an issue with---I'm sure there are plenty of shows featuring girls for girls, but in my experience, the overabundance of Japanese media featuring young girls seems to be made in mind to cater to older, usually male, fans.

Although everything can and will be a fetish, I've started to wonder how much of this can simply be attributed to creepy fans, and how much of it is an actual problem with the media itself, and what is the intent of the people who create this media. Now, of course as people are quick to tell me, women are involved, but often this is in a minor role---the person who draws the characters, but doesn't actually decide on how they'll look or who they'll appeal to, or the voice-actors, likely just seeing these works as another way to make a quick buck. It seems to me that men are often the creative heads on these series, and I find that quite weird. Now, men and women can of course write characters of the other gender, but it bothers me how these shows that try and masquerade as being "relatable stories about girls" are rarely actually written by women who experienced that, bar that one Watamote show. And that makes me question their intent. Are they made to help men relate better to women? Or are they just pandering to a large niche of Japan who eats up this stuff and buys merchandise featuring cute girls?

You know, it's not that I really have an issue with people enjoying this type of media. What bothers me, though, is how there seems to be a weird disconnect, an inability to look at what they're consuming critically beyond "is this good or bad media?", or even understand while others not involved in this niche might find it off-putting and creepy. Now, this isn't limited to fans of this media---yes, you can find oblivious fans of anything, but it certainly seems to occur constantly to the point I definitely think the media itself is part of the problem, and not just a subsection of fans.

Whenever I express my dislike in this art-style, or point out how I find it creepy and a bit gross, I've found that very rarely do the people I talk to actually engage in a discussion about why the art style is like this in the first place, like they either ignore the fact the characters are all little girls, or just go "what's wrong with little girls?" Often, a variety of common excuses and counterpoints are raised, the most common being:

* I like the gameplay/story: This is the most common one I see, and often it still leaves me asking "why"? There are thousands of television shows and video-games out there right at your fingertips, why do you specifically seem to move towards media where the characters are young girls? Now, with games especially, I got to wonder how wonderfully fun and unique these games are, and what niche they fill that a game with a less creepy art-style couldn't accomplish. Recently, I was introduced to that Kantai Collection series---it's a popular game, but the designs bug me. One of the main characters, seen on the Wikipedia page, is an anthropomorphic ship that's a young girl wearing a low skirt with her thong sticking out, and I'm like, why was this necessary? It's apparently popular among "ship otaku", but there are plenty of media for you to consume out there that presents the subject in an interesting manner without having to turn it into a sexually-charged little girl.

* You're the one sexualizing them!: The second most common reply, and in my opinion equivalent to the people who play "you're the real sexist/racist" card. Just because I find a design to be creepy and sexualized, does not make me the bad guy. I consider myself an intelligent person somewhat, and I think I can more or less tell when a design has elements that are pandering and sexualized. A character does not have to be literally naked to be sexualized, clothing, pose, expression, all this can contribute to a character that comes across as objectionable. And I am not slut-shaming when I criticize the outfit or design of said character, because they are not a rational individual who chose to wear that, they are a caricature of a female drawn by someone, so they cannot be "shamed" for what they're wearing.

* Ethnocentrism: Another explanation I've seen people pull is, that a Westerner, I'm being ethnocentric for finding these designs gross, but this I think ignores the fact that no matter how prominent this culture is on the internet, it is still a niche part of Japanese society, a large niche however, and represents nothing about the inherent culture of Japan. Furthermore, as any basic Sociology 101 course will tell you, you're never supposed to treat ethnocentrism as a "Get out of Jail Free" card for another culture. This often goes hand-in-hand with explanations that the characters aren't meant to resemble little girls, that's just because Japanese girls look younger, or that cute characters are a part of Japanese culture, but I find there to be a difference between stuff like Pikachu and Doraemon, with universal appeal, and the niche cute characters like all the "Tans", or what have you.

To sum it up, I guess whenever I have a discussion with people about this stuff, I always come out of it feeling like I'm somehow in the wrong, that I'm being prudish, and it sort of bugs me, because I think this is something that needs to be seriously discussed, but discussions about it always seem to either derail into people just posting the grossest images they can find, or just laughing it off. But it seems there's never any real introspection, perhaps on either side, or examination of why this media that often has unrealistic, idealistic in a sense portrayals of young women made for the consumption of men like commodities, and that it may be contributing to the wide disparity between men and women in Japan, and by extension, the treatment of women on the Internet where this media has taken over every nook and cranny.

u22biVe.jpg

Yeah, I agree OP. This style of art is disgusting and the main reason I avoid Vita threads like the plague. Always some questionable avatars and content in those threads.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This stuff isn't even that niche. It is a huge, huge part of the otaku/nerd culture over there. I've been to Japan. I've seen the stores. You can walk into a video game store, and then go up a few levels, and now there are floors full of little girls. The higher up you go, the creepier it gets.

Branduil

The main problem with the term "moe" is that it's an overly-broad piece of slang that can mean nearly anything and everything. Not saying you do it OP, but it's very common to see people dismiss any and all media featuring "cute girls" as "moe garbage" without even a cursory examination of the merits of the work in question, or lack-thereof.

This stuff isn't even that niche. It is a huge, huge part of the otaku/nerd culture over there. I've been to Japan. I've seen the stores. You can walk into a video game store, and then go up a few levels, and now there are floors full of little girls. The higher up you go, the creepier it gets.

That's concerning. I don't want to meet those people on the top floor o_O

Reminds me of this a bit...:
http://youtu.be/5EPM3odPEb4

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its been around in one form or another, as I'm sure some people will be quick to point out, but I think that the western otaku scene's focus on it in recent years has definitely increased

The release of K-On! a few years back and the subsequent reaction to it I saw on anime message boards catalyzed my basically splitting with that community, to the point where I really only watch select anime these days and almost never talk about it on the internet. There were just too many trends I was seeing in other fans that I found...troubling.

ItIsOkBro

there was this topic for a game set in a high school and the dude was a photographer or something, that shit was weeeeird, and everybody acting like it's normal.

The Technomancer

Its the gendered focus that I think gets to me. Look, I believe people when they say that male cuteness has an audience somewhere. But the fact that the fixation in the circles I move in is almost solely aimed at girls makes it difficult for me to accept that things are really just about "innocent cuteness", especially given the prevalence of sharing and resharing art, official or otherwise, thats, as the cool kids describe it these days, "l-lewd"

Branduil

Its been around in one form or another, as I'm sure some people will be quick to point out, but I think that the western otaku scene's focus on it in recent years has definitely increased

The release of K-On! a few years back and the subsequent reaction to it I saw on anime message boards catalyzed my basically splitting with that community, to the point where I really only watch select anime these days and almost never talk about it on the internet. There were just too many trends I was seeing in other fans that I found...troubling.

If K-on was the trendsetter of anime you believe it is we'd be seeing an outbreak of well-directed anime with high production value.

Sami+

I feel really bad for liking K-ON. I had no idea moe culture was a thing, I just thought it was a cute, clean, family friendly show.

It wasn't until later that I realized why Asuka(?) started wearing cat ears from a meta perspective. Thought it was just an endearing character thing at the time.

lazygecko

Well, the reason why this focus on prepubescent, or prepubescent-looking girls became such a trend in the first place is difficult to pin down. Probably has something to do with Japan's unique demographics problem and a subsequent romanticization of children.

What I am pretty sure of though is how this became so widespread in Japanese anime, games and media. Japan has been in a recession since the mid 90's, and today most Japanese consumers don't really buy all that much stuff. There is one very notable exception though and that is the Otaku subculture. Their entire lifestyle revolves around consuming Otaku-related products and merchandize.
So in the modern Japanese consumer climate, it has become more profitable for companies to be laser-focused on this niche instead of trying to reach out to a wider audience. It has created these situations like otakus buying multiple copies of some J-Pop group's album because the record companies encourage it in order for them to vote for their favorite member. So whatever it is the otakus choose to latch on to, the media producers will be sure to exploit this as much as possible. And it gives us this sort of skewed perspective on what's popular in Japan.

The Technomancer

If K-on was the trendsetter of anime you believe it is we'd be seeing an outbreak of well-directed anime with high production value.
Oh I don't think it was a particular trendsetter, although its influence is undeniable from a purely fiscal perspective. Its more that the reception to K-On I saw over here was kind of a perfect storm of lots of things that had been bothering me all rolled into one. It wasn't the first, but it was the first where the reactions I was seeing really got to me

Is KyoAni even doing anything interesting these days? Tamako and Chuunibyou just seemed to be riding the coat tails of K-ON to me. Hyouka and Nichijou both kind of faded, sadly. :/

If you're into swimming and male homolust undertones, there's always Free.

jwk94

Yeah, I agree OP. This style of art is disgusting and the main reason I avoid Vita threads like the plague. Always some questionable avatars and content in those threads.

As a Vita owner, I kinda agree with you. It sucks that so much of the Vita's catalogue is moe games. Although this is coming from someone who loves the hell out of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus but hates Bon Apetit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The problem I've found is that even what I'd consider to be relatively "normal" Japanese media seems to be introducing characters that seem to represent this type of culture, either directly or indirectly.

Like I like Kamen Rider, but pretty much among the first results in Google for any of the newer series is the "gravure book" or whatever for the female lead, who is usually rather young, or is representative of the Japanese industry where they seem to cultivate girls who embody the "moe" look. Either way, it makes it so I'm hesitant to let people know I'm a fan of such a series, or recommend it, because that unfortunately is what their first impression.

It seems to be in the past, when you said you liked anime, people would just think you were nerdy, and at the worst you might be a bit kinky and into tentacles. Now, you say you like anime, it's "you like little girls?" Yes, you shouldn't care what people think, and you shouldn't worry about stereotypes, but I really can't blame people anymore for assuming this about anime fans when a large amount of them seem to perpetuate this stereotype.

As for it being gendered, I've also seen people bring up that it happens to males (yaoi and those "host club" games or whatever), but the men in those always tend to seem---more in control? Either way, some people act like putting more boys in roles like this will fix the problem, but that's just the American Comic excuse more or less ("nobody complains about all the men being objectified!")

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Hah, yeah that happened to us when we were in Tokyo.

Went into a big videogame store and thought we'd start at the top and work our way down. Got in the elevator and picked the top floor, doors opened, we looked and went "ooooookay" and went straight back down again.

Somnid

It's both sexual and not. Depends entirely on the particular thing. The true idea behind "moe" is to invoke a sort of feeling of innocence, like a brother for a younger sister, father for a daughter etc. It can be creepy no doubt, but it's also progressive in the sense that's it's basically accepted (well kinda) cuteness for guys. It is however overused and I think that is one of the big problems, when you dote over a single aspect of something it can become problematic. I don't think it's a cause of gender issues in Japan though (those are really deep and more embedded with work culture), overuse might be more of symptom.

Note that it's not as one sided as you might think, there's no shortage of anime and manga objectifying boys, including very young ones in cute a fashion.

The Technomancer

This is something I've had some thoughts stewing on for a while but haven't found time to articulate, this might be a place to get some of them out:

I think its not as simple as being sexual attraction, although it certainly often contains that, I think its a more complicated general "desire" that can be sexual or just emotionally desirous in nature. But where it starts to bother me, I mean really bother me, is when I see it directed at characters who are not just sexually and/or romantically inexperienced but seemingly sexually and/or romantically oblivious. I mean, for all of the various valid criticisms of Oreimo at least in the few episodes I saw the main characters seemed aware of themselves and their wants in a way I don't see exhibited in many other "moe figures". The...the unidirectionality of desiring a character who expresses no desire themselves feels skeevy to me

Jonnax

The average person in Japan doesn't watch Anime bar stuff like Studio Ghibli and One Piece from what the people I've met have told me. And from what I can tell people who are super into these cultures are a minority but they have a lot of presence because they spend a ton of money on this stuff.
These moe shows are shown in the middle of the night as well.

I think it's just because from an outsider perspective certain things get amplified.

Branduil

Oh I don't think it was a particular trendsetter, although its influence is undeniable from a purely fiscal perspective. Its more that the reception to K-On I saw over here was kind of a perfect storm of lots of things that had been bothering me all rolled into one. It wasn't the first, but it was the first where the reactions I was seeing really got to me

It's not really fair nor helpful to make K-on bear the sins of greater anime fandom. It's like ripping on The Incredibles because Green Lantern exists.

The average person in Japan doesn't watch Anime bar stuff like Studio Ghibli and One Piece from what the people I've met have told me. And from what I can tell people who are super into these cultures are a minority but they have a lot of presence because they spend a ton of money on this stuff.
These moe shows are shown in the middle of the night as well.

I think it's just because from an outsider perspective certain things get amplified.

I agree. People visit Akihabara and then say moe culture is everywhere in Japan. In fact, finding anime on regular TV is pretty damn hard. Japanese TV is pretty fucking boring actually.

I'm more creeped out at the people who watch some anime and want to be Japanese because of the "culture" or whatever the fuck that means. Next thing you know it they're writing full blown English sentences with that one random Japanese word, their Deviant art page in all in Japanese with their really shitty animu fan art of random character having relations and shit. Talkin about how they prefer random Japanese products over their US counterpart.

Shits creepy.

And yea too many people think Akiha is representative of all of Japan.

I agree with you a lot OP, although the whole moe thing doesn't bother me as much as it does for you. I'm still pretty young, so I don't find the whole style creepy just yet, but I have thought "If I still enjoy this type of anime a decade or two from now, I'm going to start looking pretty damn creepy." Also, I more or less started watching anime when the whole moe style started to become more prominent, so that also might have something to do with it as well. I don't really like how they portray women either for the most part, and it's begun to bother me more and more lately as I watch anime. Like another poster said, companies are producing what's going make them the most money, and right now this is one of those niches that sells really well, despite how wrong or creepy it can seem. Hopefully (and I don't see why it won't) we'll start to see it taper off and have something else take its place.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm more creeped out at the people who watch some anime and want to be Japanese because of the "culture" or whatever the fuck that means. Next thing you know it they're writing full blown English sentences with that one random Japanese word, their Deviant art page in all in Japanese with their really shitty animu fan art of random character having relations and shit. Talkin about how they prefer random Japanese products over their US counterpart.

Shits creepy.

And yea too many people think Akiha is representative of all of Japan.

You mean being a weeaboo? That's not really what's being discussed and 'moe' material isn't the sole cause of it.

Piecake

I am not going to lie, I have a lower opinion of posters if they are sporting a moe anime avatar. Shit is just creepy.

Branduil

I feel really bad for liking K-ON. I had no idea moe culture was a thing, I just thought it was a cute, clean, family friendly show.

It wasn't until later that I realized why Asuka(?) started wearing cat ears from a meta perspective. Thought it was just an endearing character thing at the time.

You shouldn't feel bad for liking something just because there are people who are weird about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom