• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've realized something about God of War Ragnarok

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might take the sting out of it a bit with the fact that it doesn't look significantly better than the prior game.

I realized that God of War has always had two games on the same graphics engine (or at least graphics style, you know what I mean), the first two PS2 games, the two PS3 games and even the two PSP games, so why shouldn't the latest ones be any different?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This might take the sting out of it a bit with the fact that it doesn't look any better than the prior game.

I realized that God of War has always had two games on the same graphics engine (or at least graphics style, you know what I mean), the first two PS2 games, the two PS3 games and even the two PSP games, so why shouldn't the latest ones be any different?

Because People/studios try and improve things.

But, I get it, games are playstations bread and butter and a full next gen version of raganarok would of taken longer, and its playstations worst nightmare of having an uncompetitive exclusive line up.

Dr Bass

This might take the sting out of it a bit with the fact that it doesn't look any better than the prior game.

It does look better than the first game. Take another look at that trailer vs what is in the first game.

It's going to look better. But of course it's built on the same foundation as the first.
Because People/studios try and improve things.

But, I get it, games are playstations bread and butter and a full next gen version of raganarok would of taken longer, and its playstations worst nightmare of having an uncompetitive exclusive line up.
When has that ever been their situation, outside of maybe early PS3 days?

The textures, etc. Other graphics options the new consoles can handle aren't better enough that just having a glance at a game, without a baseline comparison you will be able to tell.

They are better, just not enough that they make the previous hen look terrible.

I suspect that will not change.

Last edited:

imissweed

Banned
It's going to be painfully dejavu...lame same animations, a reduction in visual displayed violence so less gore with reduction in the visceral nature of combat. Same old annoying Atreus who likely is gonna be even more insufferable.

I'm guessing it's going to be very similar to God Of War Ascension in the fact that the response will be very mixed with low 80's metacritic.

The game will be praised for the amount of content but will get low marks for the extreme amount of reused everything from previous game.

Still going to buy it used but keep expectations very low and I think you will still be disappointed but hey its slop and you guys will eat it up!!

I'm guessing it's going to be very similar to God Of War Ascension in the fact that the response will be very mixed with low 80's metacritic.

ZwheMb2.gif

Keihart

I think you are right, it was probably planned as a PS4 game and got delayed to enrich the launch lineup of PS5 and then got delayed again because work from home and stuff.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It does look better than the first game. Take another look at that trailer vs what is in the first game.

It's going to look better. But of course it's built on the same foundation as the first.

When has that ever been their situation, outside of maybe early PS3 days?

They are in unknown territory now that MS have 23 main studios.
Also sony are known for having the best AAAs, and this is great, but it also comes at the cost of putting pressure on them to keep on upping the ante and delivering ground breaking + innovative games. This is not going to be easy, naughty dog, ssm, insomniac are not immune to problems and delays.

With all that being said I still think sony will deliver, but its not going to be easy and sony wont have the first party advantage they had last gen. They will both be great and which one you prefer will depend on personal taste.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's going to be painfully dejavu...lame same animations, a reduction in visual displayed violence so less gore with reduction in the visceral nature of combat. Same old annoying Atreus who likely is gonna be even more insufferable.

The game will be praised for the amount of content but will get low marks for the extreme amount of reused everything from previous game.

Still going to buy it used but keep expectations very low and I think you will still be disappointed but hey its slop and you guys will eat it up!!
Username: IMissWeed

high basketball wives GIF by VH1

Last edited:

Dr Bass

They are in unknown territory now that MS have 23 main studios.
Also sony are known for having the best AAAs, and this is great, but it also comes at the cost of putting pressure on them to keep on upping the ante and delivering ground breaking + innovative games. This is not going to be easy, naughty dog, ssm, insomniac are not immune to problems and delays.

With all that being said I still think sony will deliver, but its not going to be easy and sony wont have the first party advantage they had last gen. They will both be great and which one you prefer will depend on personal taste.

What is up with this constant parroting of "23 studios" that I see all over these boards from different posters? It reminds me of always seeing "it's on Game Pass on day one." That's a marketing phrase that a specific segment of the consumer base seems to have latched on to. Saying these things over and over just means you've taken the bait ... hook, line, and sinker. Use your mind, and your own words.

Wake me up when MS starts producing games at the level of Sony and Nintendo, and are universally recognized as being so. Halo and Forza Horizon ain't it despite what some Xbox Only crowds like to think. If they WERE then we would have already seen that over the last several years of those games being in existence.

Sony and Nintendo are producing. MS needs to also produce. Those "23 studios" mean absolutely nothing until their games are on the shelves and selling. Or maybe moving the Game Pass needle.

Like I say continually ... results matter.

P.S. Assuming that all of a sudden Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, etc. are all of a sudden going to struggle to put out software, while MS' studios, are going to suddenly start lighting the world on fire makes no sense. What is the reasoning for this apparently soon-to-be 180 degree turn around for both companies? I don't think there is any.

Boneless

You're slop.

Last edited:

Well, this simply isn't true for starters.

So with such a flawed premise, your thread is already off to a great start.

Another fallacy.

Same engine =/= same renderer, same asset fidelity or graphics technology employed.

Hobbygaming

What is up with this constant parroting of "23 studios" that I see all over these boards from different posters? It reminds me of always seeing "it's on Game Pass on day one." That's a marketing phrase that a specific segment of the consumer base seems to have latched on to. Saying these things over and over just means you've taken the bait ... hook, line, and sinker. Use your mind, and your own words.

Wake me up when MS starts producing games at the level of Sony and Nintendo, and are universally recognized as being so. Halo and Forza Horizon ain't it despite what some Xbox Only crowds like to think. If they WERE then we would have already seen that over the last several years of those games being in existence.

Sony and Nintendo are producing. MS needs to also produce. Those "23 studios" mean absolutely nothing until their games are on the shelves and selling. Or maybe moving the Game Pass needle.

Like I say continually ... results matter.

P.S. Assuming that all of a sudden Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, etc. are all of a sudden going to struggle to put out software, while MS' studios, are going to suddenly start lighting the world on fire makes no sense. What is the reasoning for this apparently soon-to-be 180 degree turn around for both companies? I don't think there is any.
Great post! Some people think that Sony's 1st party studio's best days are behind them for some reason when I think they'll easily improve because they have the foundation already and less limitations because of the CPU and SSD

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As others said its a cross gen game, so it'll have a res boost, 60 fps, and maybe some RT. But the core look will be similar.

Youre best bet for a grassroots God of War for PS5 is whatever GOW game comes out in 2026-27. As said, two games makes sense with that kind of time gap if GOW comes out in 2022.

DonF

bro, what?!?

God of War 1 to 2 had a chunky leap in looks. Both presentation and technically. The same with 3 and Ascension...

Hell even the 2 psp games had a boost in graphics.... You are simply wrong.

Hobbygaming

They layed the new groundwork with God of War 2018 and now with this one they can focus mainly on the setpieces, enemies/boss fights, combat, etc

I'm willing to bet Ragnarok will outclass GoW 2018

Velius

Banned
I don't have a PS5 yet so I guess it's not a big deal to me.

I don't care so much about graphics. I care about whether the game is good, and whether everything leading up to release is an accurate representation of what we're going to play. That's it.

Dark Souls II enraged me. But it's not because the graphics were bad, which they were. It was because we were lied to about what was coming.

Topher

Gold Member

The Breakfast Club Weed GIF

don't do drugs, kids

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Graphics apart I’m fascinated with what they will do with the story.

I don’t know why but I’m finding the Norse take way more interesting than Greek take… I really want to know how the love story between Loki and the mother of monsters will take place plus how Thor is ported.

Sorry, I meant to say it doesn't look SIGNIFCANTLY better, it's look better yeah, but it's not a massive leap, it's still within the same "style"

Maybe I should re-edit the OP.

I think you are right, it was probably planned as a PS4 game and got delayed to enrich the launch lineup of PS5 and then got delayed again because work from home and stuff.
I would not at all be surprised if it started life as a PS4 only game, maybe even one meant to come out after the PS5 as Sony's PS4 swansong, much like 2 did for the PS2.

bro, what?!?

God of War 1 to 2 had a chunky leap in looks. Both presentation and technically. The same with 3 and Ascension...

Yes, 2 looked better than 1 and Ascension looked better than 3, but they were both still on the same engine and with the same general style, you know what I mean?

Yoboman

Ascension reviewed low because it was the 6th game in the same formula and had nothing interesting to tell with the story - being a prequel and the fact the other games had already plumbed most of Greek Mythology. Which is why the single player was pretty low effort and they wasted time with a multiplayer mode

None of that is an issue for Ragnarok

And what from what they have shown has been wholesale reused from the first game?

Ascension reviewed low because it was the 6th game in the same formula and had nothing interesting to tell with the story - being a prequel and the fact the other games had already plumbed most of Greek Mythology. Which is why the single player was pretty low effort and they wasted time with a multiplayer mode

None of that is an issue for Ragnarok

And what from what they have shown has been wholesale reused from the first game?
Ascension had a plot point though which has yet to be followed up on the oracle at the end telling Kratos that his family being in that village "did not happen by chance".

I wonder what they were implying with that?

Last edited:

gow3isben

bro, what?!?

Ragnarok leap is clearly way more than 3 to ascension stop it

Last edited:
As much as I wanted a true next gen God of war, its still a stellar game and the last game is only 3 years old. It will be an amazing game regardless and you know it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, Cory made the dumb mistake over making gow2 a ps2 game and has made the same mistake again. He clearly doesn’t believe in the definition of insanity and keeps making the same mistake again.

At least gow 2 was a noticeable improvement over gow. Gow ragnorak looks like copy pasta. At least improve the character model of kratos and freya. Maybe only on ps5. At least do that much.

I thought this was going to be that it is basically using the zelda OOT formula.
Nah, I picked up on that right away that it's hub world mechanic was right out of the N64 era.

It was one of the things I really liked about the game as it's been forever since we saw a game like that.

Yeah, Cory made the dumb mistake over making gow2 a ps2 game and has made the same mistake again. He clearly doesn’t believe in the definition of insanity and keeps making the same mistake again.

At least gow 2 was a noticeable improvement over gow. Gow ragnorak looks like copy pasta. At least improve the character model of kratos and freya. Maybe only on ps5. At least do that much.
I was always glad that the PS2 got a send off as awesome as gow2 and gow2 was a huge leap over the first game despite still being PS2, bigger than the leap from 2018 to Ragnarok arguably.

This game is going to be critically acclaimed just like the first one, sell probably even more than the first one which was already nuts when it came to sales, and then win multiple GOTY awards on top of that. I'm not into these type of games but these are hard facts that you can't ignore.

Santa Monica Studio are in the top 3 Sony first party, and they know how to make quality games that cater to the BIGGEST audience, much like Naughty Dog. They are the complete opposite of studios like From Software, Team Ninja, Platinum Games or the DMC Team at Capcom (SSM are more capable than From and Platinum on the visual front though, Team Ninja and Capcom make equally good looking games as SSM) which cater to a small subset of old school skill based action games audience.

Now, if you guys could get over the fact that the only downside this game has is that it's not a generational leap in graphics (the first game looks really good even by today's standards), because it's crossgen, it save us all the trouble and the concern trolling threads right from it's gameplay showcase. It HAS to run on a base PS4, a 1.84 TFLOP console from 2013. There are NO ways around this.

Really sick of these threads popping up since that PS event, and even for Microsoft for that Arkane leak.

Barakov

Elon Musk Weed GIF

ParaSeoul

Probably gonna have bigger enviroments,better materials and more enemy variety. Looks like the Blades got reworked which is good because they sucked in the first game.

Look how amazing TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima looked when they released last year on the PS4. This game will still be very pretty. Especially on the PS5.

T0minator

The visual fidelity on the PS5 will be amazing...GoW with a firmware patch on PS5 still blows my mind.

Dedicated time and care into the PS5 version will be noticably better than most people are thinking ..it'll be amazing SMS will make sure of it
KZUYNsL.jpg
HyxCXA2.jpg

Considering how much time they have left, I don't rule out for a second that this game will look unbelievable. Are people forgetting that the PS4 game kinda already looks pretty damn next-gen? And people are doubting whether this one will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom