• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: 5.44 millions NDS sold in japan

I've said it before and I'll say it again :

A Pokemon MMO on DS would make it the fastest selling system next year. Well, depending on what Sony has up their sleeves.

Futureman

How much did GBA do in a year?

What was the time period between GBA and the SP?

What are the DS's big 2006 games? Can they keep the momentum going?

Futureman said:
How much did GBA do in a year?

What was the time period between GBA and the SP?

What are the DS's big 2006 games? Can they keep the momentum going?

New Mario Bros. and Pokemon will arrive, on top of the current lineup which will most likely continue to have really really long legs.

donny2112

monkeyrun said:
By the time Sony's difference between Shipped and sales number is less than 10% then we'll talk.

And therein lies the crux of the disbelief of Sony's shipped numbers when it comes to the PSP. It isn't that there is a general disbelief (at least on my part) when it comes to Sony's shipped numbers as they compare to actual sales. However (at least in the U.S. and probably Japan), Sony's shipped numbers are drastically higher than the reported sold-through numbers we have for those regions. With that consistently being the case, anyone who tries to talk about PSP sales in those two regions based on shipped numbers gets a little chuckle from me. :lol

donny2112 said:
And therein lies the crux of the disbelief of Sony's shipped numbers when it comes to the PSP. It isn't that there is a general disbelief (at least on my part) when it comes to Sony's shipped numbers as they compare to actual sales. However (at least in the U.S. and probably Japan), Sony's shipped numbers are drastically higher than the reported sold-through numbers we have for those regions. With that consistently being the case, anyone who tries to talk about PSP sales in those two regions based on shipped numbers gets a little chuckle from me. :lol

I agree. Does Sony use the same kind of hyperbole with the PS2?

cvxfreak

biohazard 4 is at 221,000 copies according to Famitsu. It's not unfeasible that Capcom shipped another 11,000 copies after the end of the fiscal year.

Yamauchi

Banned
The reality is that Nintendo has the fastest selling system in the history of the Japanese market. That's all that really matters.

Jonnyram said:
Nintendo knows exactly how many they've shipped, but for true sales, they only have the same data we have, i.e. Media Create, Enterbrain, MediaWorks, Oricon and other research companies. They don't do their own sales tracking.
Nothing like NoA's SiRAS in Japan?

Well according to ioi's charts. It looks like this. The DS has a few weeks to catch up though.

DS ~ 4,657,000 = 55 weeks
GBA ~ 5,128,000 = 58 weeks

This is also assuming that the GBA is the fastest selling videogame piece, and I really do doubt that it was/is. But it does look like it will do better then the GBA. So I don't think that the DS is the fastest selling system ever. That might go to the PS2 or the original GB.

januswon

Leondexter said:
Amen. Sony's shipped numbers are always way, way higher than Nintendo's vs. Media-Create or vs. NPD.

Why? Maybe Nintendo is more efficient at shipping, or ships more frequently. Maybe retailers are more willing to stock Sony's products further in advance. Maybe Sony's stuff actually does sell better at the non-tracked locations (in both territories). Maybe Sony just likes to add 20% to their real numbers. Who knows? But it's blatantly obvious to anyone who cares to look.

Nintendo's NDS shipment no. for Japan is for Japan only, smaller gap between Nintendo and Famitsu (or Media Create) figures

SCE's PSP shipment for Japan is for Japan and Asia plus SCE web site sales for a no. of times, so larger gap between SCE and Famitsu (or Media Create) figures

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Stopsign said:
Well according to ioi's charts. It looks like this. The DS has a few weeks to catch up though.

DS ~ 4,657,000 = 55 weeks
GBA ~ 5,128,000 = 58 weeks

This is also assuming that the GBA is the fastest selling videogame piece, and I really do doubt that it was/is. But it does look like it will do better then the GBA. So I don't think that the DS is the fastest selling system ever. That might go to the PS2 or the original GB.

The DS only needs a week. At 58 weeks it will have sold over a million more then the GBA in the same time period.

januswon

I have asked Nintendo about the meaning of "sales units" in their earning release (on page 25)
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/051124e.pdf

Nintendo responded that the sales units is the no. of units sold by the Nintendo Group
(i.e. the shipment units Nintendo shipped to their customers, the retailers)

This is NOT the no. of units sold by the retail shops to the buyers
(i.e. the actual sales units sold to the buyers)

so basically when Nintendo say xxxx sales, I will understand that this is shipment not actual sales

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

任天堂ホームページをご利用いただきありがとうございます。
ジャネス・ウォン様からいただいたメールについてお答えいたします。

この度は任天堂ホームページにお問い合わせ頂きありがとうございます。
ご連絡が遅くなり、申し訳ございません。

ご質問頂きました中間決算参考資料の最終ページに掲載しております
販売台数ですが、任天堂グループが販売した台数となります。
(販売店様から、お客様の手に渡った数字ではございません。)

以上、簡単ではございますが、回答とさせて頂きます。
ありがとうございました。

更にご質問がある場合は、次のアドレスからご送信ください。
https://secure.nintendo.co.jp/cgi-bin/entry2.cgi?no=2220-50551&sf=IdAy-4
---------------------------------------------------------------
任天堂株式会社 広報室 担当 竹岡
郵便番号601-8501 京都市南区上鳥羽鉾立町11-1
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Januswon at this point DS sales have probably topped 5 million and that means there are only around 400 000. Nintendo better start shipping more soon.

Yamauchi

Banned
malek4980 said:
Januswon at this point DS sales have probably topped 5 million and that means there are only around 400 000. Nintendo better start shipping more soon.
That was my point. Nintendo needs to get some more hardware to the retailers, and at least keep up for the next two weeks. After that, the sales should die down.

Ponn

Banned
monkeyrun said:
you know sometime it's good if you just shut up and stay out of some threads...

you'll need to be an idiot to think that shipped = sales.

And in this case the margin of error is less than 10%.

By the time Sony's difference between Shipped and sales number is less than 10% then we'll talk.

OK...

I have asked Nintendo about the meaning of "sales units" in their earning release (on page 25)

Nintendo responded that the sales units is the no. of units sold by the Nintendo Group
(i.e. the shipment units Nintendo shipped to their customers, the retailers)

This is NOT the no. of units sold by the retail shops to the buyers
(i.e. the actual sales units sold to the buyers)

so basically when Nintendo say xxxx sales, I will understand that this is shipment not actual sales

This is why I hate sales threads. The hypocrisy and double standards that abound in the threads and everyone acting like they own tons of stock in the companies. Something that's been endlessly mocked and now is okay just becaue it's a certain company or the difference is "negligible" it's ok. Whatever people, continue on. 5.44 million shipped is good for the DS though, kudos to Nintendo.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Ponn01 said:
OK...

This is why I hate sales threads. The hypocrisy and double standards that abound in the threads and everyone acting like they own tons of stock in the companies. Something that's been endlessly mocked and now is okay just becaue it's a certain company or the difference is "negligible" it's ok. Whatever people, continue on. 5.44 million shipped is good for the DS though, kudos to Nintendo.
Sony's "sales" aren't even shipped to retailers... FYI.

malek4980 said:
The DS only needs a week. At 58 weeks it will have sold over a million more then the GBA in the same time period.
This is probably the case. I think DS having two Decembers and Januaries gives it an advantage, though.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
JoshuaJSlone said:
This is probably the case. I think DS having two Decembers and Januaries gives it an advantage, though.

Is that enough?

Jiggy

Deadly Monk said:
A Pokemon MMO on DS would make it the fastest selling system next year. Well, depending on what Sony has up their sleeves.
I don't even think it has to be online, nor that it matters what Sony has to offer.

neo2046 said:
it seems these photo are taken at a shop in Japan's Akiba
and it is true that DS is very popular in Japan

So is the DS mainstream in Japan or just hitting a new undiscovered market like Woman and older men?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
By the way, anyone see an TV spot for Animal Crossing in the U.S.??

Dalthien

januswon said:
Nintendo's NDS shipment no. for Japan is for Japan only, smaller gap between Nintendo and Famitsu (or Media Create) figures

SCE's PSP shipment for Japan is for Japan and Asia plus SCE web site sales for a no. of times, so larger gap between SCE and Famitsu (or Media Create) figures

Okay - I'm a bit confused. You reported total shipment numbers in another thread - these are them
januswon said:
Console and Game Shipment 2005.09.30

Unit in Million

Code:
Format       Total  Japan     US  Europe
PS2-Console  96.01  21.70  38.78   35.53
PS2-Game    909.00 182.00 419.00  308.00
Tie-Ratio      9.5    8.4   10.8     8.7

NGC-Console  19.31   3.84  11.09    4.38
NGC-Game    169.51  25.32 107.52   36.67
Tie-Ratio      8.8    6.6    9.7     8.4

Code:
Format       Total  Japan     US  Europe
PSP-Console   8.81   2.85   4.13    1.83
PSP-Game     19.60   5.10  10.00    4.50
Tie-Ratio      2.2    1.8    2.4     2.4

GBA-Console  70.04  16.12  35.05   18.87
GBA-Game    296.12  66.07 164.82   65.24
Tie-Ratio      4.2    4.1    4.7     3.4

NDS-Console   8.83   3.63   2.87    2.34
NDS-Game     23.80   9.13   9.32    5.34
Tie-Ratio      2.7    2.5    3.2     2.3

But now you're saying that Nintendo's numbers are Japan only, but Sony's are for all of Asia. So where are Nintendo's Asia numbers counted? Are they counted - or are they just left out of your shipment chart?

januswon

Dalthien said:
Okay - I'm a bit confused. You reported total shipment numbers in another thread - these are them

But now you're saying that Nintendo's numbers are Japan only, but Sony's are for all of Asia. So where are Nintendo's Asia numbers counted? Are they counted - or are they just left out of your shipment chart?

Nintendo's Asia numbers could be quite minimal
The numbers should be counted under Other

Nintendo mid-term earning release

per page 25
Nintendo Sales Units
- Japan
- The Americas
- Other (= except Japan and Americas, i.e. Europe, Asia)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

per page 15
3. Overseas sales
The Americas 42.0%
Europe 25.5%
Other 3.2% <------ (other than Japan, US, Europe)
---------------------------
Japan 29.3%
The Americas 42.0%
Europe+Other 28.7%

jarrod

Banned
januswon said:
are you sure?
It was clairified awhile back that SCE uses production shipments for reporting while Nintendo/MGS report on shipped to retail. Meaning Sony counts PSPs and PS2s sitting in their own warehouses or even rolling off the production line as "sold", while Nintendo/MS only count units at or in trasit to retail. It's a small difference, but it tends to make Sony's figures disprportionately impressive (especially early on as with PSP) and is likely why they tend to post 2-to-1 above what tracking services suggest for sold through.

Dalthien said:
Nintendo doesn't have a Korean arm like SCE does, they license out hardware to other distributors for the region (SEGA did this too). Daiwon CI is Nintendo's current Korean partner. Nintendo does this for other Asian markets too, they only handle Japan and China (iQue) themselves... meaning we probably aren't getting Asian figures for any Nintendo hardware. Chances are GC, DS and (especially) GBA's overall totals would probably swell a bit if we knew them. Nintendo actually reports iQue (China) sales seperately too... I'd like to know how well iQue and GBA sold over there.

Dalthien

jarrod said:
It was clairified awhile back that SCE uses production shipments for reporting while Nintendo/MGS report on shipped to retail. Meaning Sony counts PSPs and PS2s sitting in their own warehouses or even rolling off the production line as "sold", while Nintendo/MS only count units at or in trasit to retail. It's a small difference, but it tends to make Sony's figures disprportionately impressive (especially early on as with PSP) and is likely why they tend to post 2-to-1 above what tracking services suggest for sold through.

That's what I suspected, because otherwise the numbers just don't make sense. Nintendo only has a few hundred thousand units on the shelves in Japan (shipped vs. sell-through), and yet they were more than able to handle selling more than a million units in just the past 4 weeks. Meanwhile, according to Sony's figures, they have several million units on the shelves, and yet experienced severe shortages at retail in Europe. It just doesn't make sense that Sony has overshipped their sell-through numbers by such huge margins when Nintendo hasn't had any shortage issues, and has been selling at the same clip as PSP the past few months (in both Europe and the US, and at a much greater clip than the PSP in Japan) with a shipped vs. sell-through ratio much closer to 1.

jarrod said:
Nintendo doesn't have a Korean arm like SCE does, they license out hardware to other distributors for the region (SEGA did this too). Daiwon CI is Nintendo's current Korean partner. Nintendo does this for other Asian markets too, they only handle Japan and China (iQue) themselves... meaning we probably aren't getting Asian figures for any Nintendo hardware. Chances are GC, DS and (especially) GBA's overall totals would probably swell a bit if we knew them. Nintendo actually reports iQue (China) sales seperately too... I'd like to know how well iQue and GBA sold over there.

Thanks for the info Jarrod. I didn't know that they were set up this way in Asia.

januswon

jarrod said:

i noticed that in Sony's earning release, they did use the term production shipment units.
However it is not clear whether it means "sitting in their own warehouses or even rolling off the production line as "sold" or not

Gahiggidy

inpHilltr8r said:
If you're selling every cart you can manufacture, who needs to advertise?
Good advertising helps build mindshare.

Culex

Banned
If those really are the total amount of shipped DS in Japan, that's quite an impressive sell-through!

Would it be 4.65 million sold versus 5.44 million shipped?

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Culex said:
If those really are the total amount of shipped DS in Japan, that's quite an impressive sell-through!

Would it be 4.65 million sold versus 5.44 million shipped?

4.65 million as of the 18th of December

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that the DS has topped sales of 5,000,000 units in Japan. This figure is for actual sales, and not shipped units.
Since the DS sold over 400k during the 12th to 18th, I'm sure it sold at least that, and likely a lot more. So the DS has sold 5 million, the fastest system to reach that milestone in Japan.

he surprise adult-oriented hit Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Train Your Brain in the US) has shipped 1.38 million units to retail, trailed slightly by the Japanese version of Animal Crossing, Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori, which has shipped 1.27 million units in about a month's time. Both Nintendogs and another adult-oriented game, Yawaraka Atama Juku (Brain Flex in the US), have shipped 1.08 million units.
So this clears things up hardware = sales software = shipped

link to IGN article

januswon

malek4980 said:
4.65 million as of the 18th of December

Since the DS sold over 400k during the 12th to 18th, I'm sure it sold at least that, and likely a lot more. So the DS has sold 5 million, the fastest system to reach that milestone in Japan.

So this clears things up hardware = sales software = shipped

link to IGN article

whether the 5 million is actual sales or shipped figures
let's wait for Media Create or Famitsu
don't trust Nintendo

they have sales units in their earning release
in fact, it is shipped units to the retailers, NOT sales units to the actual buyers

with this misleading nintendo "sales units"
i would rather trust Media Create or Famitsu than Nintendo

one thing can be sure
the console maker tells you the shipment figures (even they said it is 'sales units')
the market research co. tells you the sales figures

Yamauchi

Banned
januswon said:
whether the 5 million is actual sales or shipped figures
let's wait for Media Create or Famitsu
don't trust Nintendo

they have sales units in their earning release
in fact, it is shipped units to the retailers, NOT sales units to the actual buyers

with this misleading nintendo "sales units"
i would rather trust Media Create or Famitsu than Nintendo

one thing can be sure
the console maker tells you the shipment figures (even they said it is 'sales units')
the market research co. tells you the sales figures
But the next Media Create will show that the DS has sold over 5 million. I don't understand your argument.

januswon

Yamauchi said:
But the next Media Create will show that the DS has sold over 5 million. I don't understand your argument.

i will take what media create reported, but NEVER nintendo
even the figures might be the same
but nintendo's so called sales figures can only be shipped figures, that is for sure

Yamauchi said:

But, Iwata said 5.44M right? Although, if thye've only shipped 5.44M, the shelves would be bare, as you've got to have ~some units in transit (from production facilities and/or distributors/retailers warehouses). In any case, the DS is doing spectacularly.

I'd have absolutely little problem believing this number and ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to argue about it as it's so close to reality and DS is so far ahead of the competition in Japan, what's the point??

cvxfreak

I think Japan's proximity to China makes it very easy for Japanese shelves to be replenished weekly for something as huge as the DS, and Nintendo software is produced within Japan (probably not China to avoid potential piracy issues) since freight between China and Japan if speedy enough probably takes less than a day. This is in contrast to Europe where Gaybrush Threepio revealed that they had to airlift DS bundles to the UK. I think Sony had this same predicament with the PS2 in Europe last year.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
FYI: this is Japan sales. The PSP was released within two weeks of the DS.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JoshuaJSlone said:
Which is exactly why comparing the first 13 months of each is fair. Since the DS's launch period was during December it didn't have an actual December sales boost until this year. The GBA had a huge start because its launch was in March and then got its December sales boost at the end of the year. Just take a look at the launch weeks for each (612K for the GBA, 469K for the DS) and you'll see what I mean.

Fuzzy said:
Which is exactly why comparing the first 13 months of each is fair. Since the DS's launch period was during December it didn't have an actual December sales boost until this year. The GBA had a huge start because its launch was in March and then got its December sales boost at the end of the year. Just take a look at the launch weeks for each (612K for the GBA, 469K for the DS) and you'll see what I mean.
I can see this about half-way... but without seeing the numbers I'm doubting non-December launches would have their weeks 2-5 be 199K, 222K, 397K, and 210K.

Doogdogg

nintg06.jpg
:D

Top Bottom