• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata continued to work from the hospital until his passing, including Pokemon GO

The Flash

Banned
Dude was a boss till the end.

To be honest, when one is in such a situation and still keeps thinking that working or a smartphone game is so important, i just think he is kind of the opposite of a person I would admire or respect.

I wonder do you know what shame is?

BD1

Banned
Iwata-Sans work ethic was legendary. No one at Nintendo worked harder than that man, and you're a fool if you don't think Iwata wasn't involved in every project associated with Nintendo.

Erevador

Clearly some in this thread don't understand what it is to really feel deeply passionate about your life's work and truly invested in something bigger than yourself. Iwata cared about Nintendo like Jiro cares about Sushi. One pays a price for that kind of passion and dedication, but its a price well worth paying for some one who truly cares about and believes in their work.

Such an admirable man.

I remember talking with my father on our front porch while browsing GAF and finding the thread. All I thought was "this name sounds familiar", the idea was so far out of my mind that it took me a little bit to put the pieces together. That night was one of the longest nights of recent memory.

Iwata is a man that I could only dream to become and I think it'll be a long time until someone even gets close to matching what he could do.

RIP

jaypah

Iwata5.jpg

Nope, I'm out. I'm at work and I can feel the waterworks starting up. What a great dude :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's pretty common for people who work on things for more than just the money to keep going up until the very end. For people who value their creative output it -is- their life. When the end of life approaches, it's just greater motivation to do everything you can, while you can, rather than give up.

I think he kept working because he liked what he was doing. Many people say, "I wanna do this before I die", in the case of Iwata he passed away in the activity of what he loved to do. Rather than tragedy, this piece of news brings a great deal more dignity to his passing.

To be honest, when one is in such a situation and still keeps thinking that working or a smartphone game is so important, i just think he is kind of the opposite of a person I would admire or respect.

Is this a joke? Satire? Something? Jesus Christ, dude. Have a little bit of respect for the man. Honestly, I think this post is more offensive to me than the tinfoil hat boy trying to act like Iwata had nothing to do with PoGo. Fuck, dude, just... How is this even the first thing your mind goes too?

You're killing me fam.

Datschge

Not to turn WaterAstro, but that cut was mostly symbolic.
Of course it was symbolic. A massive symbolic move in a world where company executives commonly demand them being paid their full bonus pay even while their very company goes down the drain.

test_account

XP-39C²
Working on something you're passionate and love to the bitter end is something that should be looked down on?
I might be wrong, but i think maybe he is suggesting that he prioritized work to the bitter end instead of prioritizing his family, or that he prioritized work instead of focusing more on his health/recovery. But no one here knows anything about Iwata's last weeks and months was like, so i dont think its fair to critizise Iwata for that.

Neff

He had a vested interest in seeing his company enter important, uncharted territory smoothly and successfully. Not to mention the fact that the man loved his job and that his co-workers are some of his oldest and best friends.

I know only a few of us are ever lucky enough to enjoy such circumstances, but come on.

Dremark

Banned
I might be wrong, but i think maybe he is suggesting that he prioritized work to the bitter end instead of prioritizing his family, or that he prioritized work instead of focusing more on his health/recovery. But no one here knows anything about Iwata's last weeks and months was like, so i dont think its fair to critizise Iwata for that.

I think we knew enough to be able to tell it was too late for him to be saved at that point, honestly it was probably too late for him when it was diagnosed.

He knew his time was short and he choose to fulfill his responsibility as president of the compromises get things back on track before he died. It's hard to say why he did it but this is the same guy who slashed his salary in half rather than lay staff off. My take on it is that he probably wanted to get things back on track to ensure the future for the people who worked under him.

Regardless, I think it's pretty disgusting for people to talk I'll of him for it. How he chooses to finish his life was up to him. It would have been nice if things had been going well and he could have spent the rest of his time with his family, but it sounds like he was more concerned with the future of his employees and thier families.

DataGhost

You have got to be kidding me.

It wasn't about working or a smartphone game that was important.

It was achieving his dream. I'm sure he always had something like this in mind before he passed.

What he did in his last few weeks, no one knows except for him, his family and friends. But you can't just assume that he was simply working, I'm sure he also prioritized his family, but I don't know. I can't just assume that either, but I don't think he was working himself to death. I still respect him for accomplishing a lot and being able to make a few last appearances even though he was ill.

It's not about that though is it? It would have been about the thousands of people whose jobs depend iwatas decisions as CEO, which, yes, includes smartphone games now.

I knew little about him before other than he was the CEO of Nintendo and that he always seemed in high sprits. All the things I've read about him since his death make me sad because it's clear the world lost a pretty special guy. That kind of dedication, in the face of death, it's really moving.

Fireblend

Banned
He was the kind of person that put others before himself no matter the situation. He knew how valuable he was to others and didn't hesitate to spend every breath doing what he loved convinced that it was for the best of his friends, company and customers. What an incredible human being and I still feel bad about his passing. At least 3/4s of every game I finish still mention his name in the credits and it will probably be some time before that stops happening. I have nothing but admiration and respect for Iwata, how I wish he was still doing Directs and Iwata Asks and exuding personality in every interview he did. He would be so happy to see how well PoGo is doing.

jett

D-Member
Guys Iwata and Nintendo had NOTHING to do with Pokemon GO. You really think Nintendo had the foresight to make something this big? I wouldn't be surprised if Niantic brought in a visionary like Mark Cerny or FROM's Miyazaki to work on the game, I can see their fingerprints all over the final product.

Isn't Pokemon Go based on a previous Niantic game?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Times are changing. If you would have told me smartlhones games are the future and handhelds are dying 10 years ago, i would have laugh. Yet Iwata knew he eventually had to changed focus to mobile and discussed these things before his untimely death. I dont get what so hard to understand.
Isn't Pokemon Go based on a previous Niantic game?
Actually on two games. They explain in this video.
https://youtu.be/u6kE3AagyoQ

This is admirable and heartbreaking but the Japanese workaholic culture is a little worrying.

That said, their life expectancy is amongst the highest in the developed world so I dunno...

test_account

XP-39C²
I think we knew enough to be able to tell it was too late for him to be saved at that point, honestly it was probably too late for him when it was diagnosed.

He knew his time was short and he choose to fulfill his responsibility as president of the compromises get things back on track before he died. It's hard to say why he did it but this is the same guy who slashed his salary in half rather than lay staff off. My take on it is that he probably wanted to get things back on track to ensure the future for the people who worked under him.

Regardless, I think it's pretty disgusting for people to talk I'll of him for it. How he chooses to finish his life was up to him. It would have been nice if things had been going well and he could have spent the rest of his time with his family, but it sounds like he was more concerned with the future of his employees and thier families.
Yeah, thats possible, i just mean that we dont know how he prioritized his time in the last months. Eventhough he worked, maybe he still spent much time with his family. And yeah, i would also guess that he felt the responsibility to close as much ends before he passed. Didnt he also inform someone else at Nintendo about this, that he wouldnt make it?

First of all have you ever been "in such a situation"? Nice way to put it. Let's call it what it was, he was dying from terminal cancer! A real painful one at that. What's wrong with him trying to have a sense of normalcy? Working on something he loved no doubt made his final weeks more bearable, that alone should be reason enough for you not to be so damn judgemental towards him. What exactly should he have done? Lay in bed all day and wait for his time to come?

Second of all to you it's just a game but for him it was his life's work, it was part of his legacy.

Please just try to have some empathy for like a minute and honestly consider what your state of mind would be if you were in his situatuon.

Who hurt you? Good gracious man...

Darryl

Banned
Iwata wasn't a typical President... See his contributions to Pokemon Gold, to Smash Bros, hell even the original Super Mario Bros... Man worked with his "rivals" and wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty on any level, no matter his position.

He is obviously a passionate game developer and would take a look at any game development project and want to throw down.

I bet if he had free time and walked past you working on your game jam at a cafe, he would pull you aside and want to have a long conversation. His exuberance for the art spills through in all his Iwata Asks videos in some of the most inspirational ways. He's clearly not driven by fame, fortune, or titles. He just wants to make games, and he was great at it. I have considered Iwata as one of my idols for ages now because of his ethic. He's an enthusiastic workhorse filled with tons of hope.

Top Bottom