• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata continued to work from the hospital until his passing, including Pokemon GO

Fat4all

Banned
But to suddenly bring up Pokemon GO, after years of nothing since Iwata bringing it up since the April Fool's, when Pokemon GO is hot and popular...

I don't question that he was still working. I question if he was involved with Pokemon GO in any meaningful way, just like it was revealed that Miyamoto was not involved in a meaningful way either.

Iwata's Blue Ocean strategy covered a lot of project in Nintendo, even the NX.

WaterAstro

Could you tell me what part of this you don't understand ?

Did Tsunekazu say that? Or was it:

"Children can enjoy 'Pokemon Go' without spending too much money. This is probably what Iwata-san aimed for," said an executive at a game-related company who knew Iwata well.

Why the obscurity if it actually was Tsunekazu, who will undoubtly attest to that fact if he was the one talking about it. Whether Iwata and Tsunekazu was discussing about Pokemon GO or not isn't something you would ask a third party person about. It just makes that part of the article sound fishy.

Iwata's Blue Ocean strategy covered a lot of project in Nintendo, even the NX.

Except Nintendo has almost nothing to do with Pokemon GO as was announced by Nintendo themselves. Why would Iwata be working hard on something his company has barely any stake in?

Chaos17

Did Tsunekazu say that? Or was it:

Use a bit your common sense. His friend resumed what Iwata wished/wanted. He won't show his emails or sms to the world to give people like you a proof. No one will do that by respect of their dearest who died but only will talk of how the person was.

Leave this thread if you can't accept simple common sense like this.

MediaHandler.ashx

JoeM86

But to suddenly bring up Pokemon GO, after years of nothing since Iwata bringing it up since the April Fool's, when Pokemon GO is hot and popular...

I don't question that he was still working. I question if he was involved with Pokemon GO in any meaningful way, just like it was revealed that Miyamoto was not involved in a meaningful way either.

Iwata was heavily involved in the initial planning of the game, not the April Fools'. Come on

Fat4all

Banned
Except Nintendo has almost nothing to do with Pokemon GO as was announced by Nintendo themselves. Why would Iwata be working hard on something his company has barely any stake in?

Both Nintendo and The Pokemon Company were involved in the publishing.

Also, Nintendo partially developed the wearable Pokemon Go Plus watch thingy that comes out next month. (I think they are manufacturing is as well?)

Also, while the Pokemon Company is separate from Nintendo, Nintendo still owns the trademarks for both Pokemon and all the names in Pokemon.

So I don't see why he wouldn't be involved in some way or another, even if it was just some of the planning stages for any of the above.

WaterAstro

Use a bit your common sense. His friend resumed what Iwata wished/wanted. He won't show his emails or sms to the world to give people like you a proof. No one will do that by respect of their dearest who died but only will talk of how the person was.

Leave this thread if you can't accept simple common sense like this.

Or a journalist is looking for hits and takes the hottest topic and insert it in a sensationalist way.

I'm questioning the way that part was written, if it is correctly translated. It does not hold any common sense. Anyone would give out their name when it is about talking good about their friend. Why hide themselves obscurely under the guise of "Executive of a Gaming-Related company"?

Iwata was heavily involved in the initial planning of the game, not the April Fools'. Come on

Where's your proof?

Plenty of proof, interviews, and articles about the April Fool's joke and Iwata's involvement. Nothing about Iwata and Pokemon GO after that up until his passing and the Pokemon GO announcement.

Even more damning proof is what I pointed out before. If Iwata worked so hard on Pokemon GO, as CEO of Nintendo, why does Nintendo have little stake in Pokemon GO?

Both Nintendo and The Pokemon Company were involved in the publishing.

Also, Nintendo partially developed the wearable Pokemon Go Plus watch thingy that comes out next month. (I think they are manufacturing is as well?)

Also, while the Pokemon Company is separate from Nintendo, Nintendo still owns the trademarks for both Pokemon and all the names in Pokemon.

So I don't see why he wouldn't be involved in some way or another, even if it was just some of the planning stages for any of the above.

Wrong, right, wrong.

Nintendo and TPC aren't publishers. Niantic self published and sole distributors (at least for most regions, maybe not Japan?).
Nintendo is solely making that watch accessory, but that has nothing to do with developing the game.
Nintendo owns SOME trademarks. The trademarks are shared between Nintendo, TPC, and TPC's various partners around the Globe.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dang.. I cant help to wonder what would have happened if Iwata had taken a year or so off work instead to focus on recovery and had no stress or obligations. But hopefully he did what he enjoyed the most.

JoeM86

Where's your proof?

Plenty of proof, interviews, and articles about the April Fool's joke and Iwata's involvement. Nothing about Iwata and Pokemon GO after that up until his passing and the Pokemon GO announcement.

Even more damning proof is what I pointed out before. If Iwata worked so hard on Pokemon GO, as CEO of Nintendo, why does Nintendo have little stake in Pokemon GO?

Just because Nintendo doesn't have big stake doesn't mean Iwata didn't work on it. They explicitly said Iwata had a big hand in it when they announced it. Why do you need more?

Nintendo owns SOME trademarks. The trademarks are shared between Nintendo, TPC, and TPC's various partners around the Globe.

Wrong. TPC doesn't have the trademarks. Nintendo does. Just today one for just a merch line went public, trademark joint owned by Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. In North America, Nintendo own the the trademarks alone

Fat4all

Banned
Nintendo and TPC aren't publishers. Niantic self published and sole distributors (at least for most regions, maybe not Japan?).
Nintendo is solely making that watch accessory, but that has nothing to do with developing the game.

I need to go to bed, and I don't know what you are trying to prove, but there's plenty to say that Nintendo would be involved in the project from the get go.

I really can't tell what you're fighting here.

jrush64

Banned
is WaterAstro still on this again? Doing his outright best to make sure Nintendo get's no credit for this game at all.

Chaos17

I'm going to update the OP with this for skeptical people:

Press conference of Nintendo announcing Pokemon GO

To tell you the truth, I have been working on this project for about two years along with Nintendo's Mr. Iwata, and I really hoped we could make the announcement together. That desire is part of why I decided to hold this conference today.

As I mentioned, this was a vision shared by Mr. Ishihara and it was also a very important vision of the late Mr. Iwata. It was our collective goal that this be a wholesome, fun game that families can enjoy together.

Gaf thread about this press conference.

Pokemon-Stadium-Masuda-01.jpg

Take a second, ask yourself "why am I in this thread?"

If it's only to be cynical about Pokemon go or Nintendo, maybe take it into one of the other threads instead of trying to downplay Iwata, a man who isn't around anymore to defend himself or explain the situation in his own words.

WaterAstro

Just because Nintendo doesn't have big stake doesn't mean Iwata didn't work on it. They explicitly said Iwata had a big hand in it when they announced it. Why do you need more?

Wrong. TPC doesn't have the trademarks. Nintendo does.

Iwata is CEO of his company. If he isn't working for the best interest of his company, then he isn't doing his job.

Ah your right on that. I mixed up copyright with trademarks. Copyright is shared with Nintendo, Game Freaks, and Creatures (which make up TPC).

I need to go to bed, and I don't know what you are trying to prove, but there's plenty to say that Nintendo would be involved in the project from the get go.

I really can't tell what you're fighting here.

I'm just calling out the sketchiness of that part of the article in which this thread is about. There's already that other thread talking about the entire article, so I wanted to voice out my concern in this thread.

I already "won" my staunch "Niantic deserves all the credit battle" against all the gaffers in all the previous threads. Nintendo have said they barely have any stake in it. Nothing to fight about that anymore. It's just fact at this point.

Take a second, ask yourself "why am I in this thread?"

If it's only to be cynical about Pokemon go or Nintendo, maybe take it into one of the other threads instead of trying to downplay Iwata, a man who isn't around anymore to defend himself or explain the situation in his own words.

If you're defending Iwata, that's more the reason to talk about the truth in the article. If someone is using his name to lie about an event for monetary gain/website hits, don't you think that's not good for Iwata's name?

Or a journalist is looking for hits and takes the hottest topic and insert it in a sensationalist way.

I'm questioning the way that part was written, if it is correctly translated. It does not hold any common sense. Anyone would give out their name when it is about talking good about their friend. Why hide themselves obscurely under the guise of "Executive of a Gaming-Related company"?

Where's your proof?

Wrong, right, wrong.

Keep pushing your little narrative.

Forkball

Guys Iwata and Nintendo had NOTHING to do with Pokemon GO. You really think Nintendo had the foresight to make something this big? I wouldn't be surprised if Niantic brought in a visionary like Mark Cerny or FROM's Miyazaki to work on the game, I can see their fingerprints all over the final product.

Fat4all

Banned
I already "won" my staunch "Niantic deserves all the credit battle" against all the gaffers in all the previous threads. Nintendo have said they barely have any stake in it. Nothing to fight about that anymore. It's just fact at this point.

That doesn't mean Nintendo wasn't involved at all, and if anyone was going to be involved with Pokemon Go, it would be the head of Nintendo.

JoeM86

Guys Iwata and Nintendo had NOTHING to do with Pokemon GO. You really think Nintendo had the foresight to make something this big? I wouldn't be surprised if Niantic brought in a visionary like Mark Cerny or FROM's Miyazaki to work on the game, I can see their fingerprints all over the final product.

hqdefault.jpg

Aters

Yep, in many ways Pokemon Go seems to be the full realisation of what he had in mind for Streetpass all along.

Yes. Too bad he couldn't see that day.

Not sure if serious.
What has Miyazaki ever achieved to put him in the same paragraph with the big hits of Nintendo?

WaterAstro

That doesn't mean Nintendo wasn't involved at all, and if anyone was going to be involved with Pokemon Go, it would be the head of Nintendo.

This is the last time I can say this.

Nintendo has announced that Pokemon GO's success will have limited impact and would not revise their earnings outlook. A CEO's job is not to work for something that is not going to help the company. Make the connections, people.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...unge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

And I leave you guys to believe anything a journalist would write to be absolute truth.

Where's your proof?

Wrong, right, wrong.

Dude. Just stop. Please.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Nintendo has announced that Pokemon GO's success will have limited impact and would not revise their earnings outlook. A CEO's job is not to work for something that is not going to help the company. Make the connections, people.

And I leave you guys to believe anything a journalist would write to be absolute truth.

Man, you are pathetic.

Good riddance.

gogogow

Yeah, Ishihara must be lying, when he said he worked on the project for two years, together with Iwata.

Lol, you are so full of yourself, get over it.

Iwata wasn't a typical President... See his contributions to Pokemon Gold, to Smash Bros, hell even the original Super Mario Bros... Man worked with his "rivals" and wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty on any level, no matter his position.

WaterAstro

Iwata wasn't a typical President... See his contributions to Pokemon Gold, to Smash Bros, hell even the original Super Mario Bros... Man worked with his "rivals" and wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty on any level, no matter his position.

Those are Nintendo games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lol at people think something like Pokemon Go gets greenlit without the Nintendo CEO being on board and having input - the Pokemon IP is deeply associated with Nintendo if course Iwata and Nintendo would have stepped in if this was a regular Gacha game preying on younger customers since it would have indirect impact on their core business and sales of the console games.

Some people really think that his job as CEO was just preparing for Nintendo Direct i guess ? He was deeply involved in stuff we probably wont see for another couple years.

Those are Nintendo games.

I thought you were going to leave us to "believe anything a journalist would write to be absolute truth" as you said.

If you say you're going to leave, then man the fuck up and leave. Right now you're coming of as a contrarian troll trying to score points over a dead man's contributions which he may or may not have made.

Get out.

tumblr_ly0e9iqXhp1qihzglo1_400.gif

Fat4all

Banned

This isn't a point to what I said. Your acting as if everything was set in stone for the project even as it was being planned and developed and that Nintendo had foresight into the product being out of their hands.

Saying Nintendo had nothing to gain is a falsehood, they have everything to gain from Pokemon's popularity.

Do you honestly believe Nintendo had no say in Pokemon Go at all, even early on?

Neff

If Nintendo had no say in Pokémon GO, and didn't want any money for it, does that mean I can make the sequel?

Best NeoGAF parody I've seen for a while. Bravo.

mindsale

Iwata has a plentitude of good works under his belt and is dearly missed, but it seems disingenuous to stress his inextricable involvement in second- and third- party game while in a position that would demand his attentions elsewhere. Questioning his level of involvement is not the same as insulting a man's legacy or disrespecting the dead, let's not mourn-shame each other for not blindly eulogizing Iwata.

Datschge

Don't you guys remember Wii Street U? That now defunct 360 Google Streetview app for Wii U?
Which resulted in an own Iwata Asks? http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/wii-street-u/0/0
Which included following glorious photo?
iFHb21f.png

The Google contact was Kei Kawai, part of the then Google Maps group. The contact led to the Pokemon Challenge april fool on Google Maps in 2014. Niantic was the core group of Google Maps, originally Keyhole which created Earth Viewer. Google bought them in 2004 and turned it into Google Earth and built Google Maps from there.

Iwata also was very close to Pokemon Company as he co-founded the company. Building the corporate framework for the Pokemon franchise was Iwata's job for Nintendo right before he became its president.

Nightbird

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...unge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

Limited impact doesn't equal no positive gain for the company.

first of all, it brings in money. not much, but Nintendo is gaining money from this

secondly, it puts one of their biggest IP's back into the mainstreams eye. and this can only be a positive thing for any company.

so yeah, "not going to help the company" my assignment.

also:

if this doesn't prove iwatas involvement to the doubters, then they are just trolling

Leave it to WaterAstro to derail this Pokemon Go related thread by spewing garbage from his mouth.

Nintendo had a limited scope of influence on the Niantic side of things as a whole, but Niantic closely collaborated with the Pokemon Company side of things, which in turn collaborated with Nintendo. It's very likely that Iwata would have been involved in some level with Pokemon Company's involvement since it was a joint concept between him and Ishihara. Even if it was at most supervising the processes Ishihara had with the company.

As for a CEO not being involved with something that won't make them money. Dude, get the fuck over yourself? The impact of Pokemon GO isn't just about direct revenue, it's about the benefits of a worldwide mindshare sparked from it. 3DS Pokemon sales are up, Sun and Moon preorders are increasing in several different countries.

And almost every single person who will know about Pokemon GO will automatically associate it with Nintendo. Because that's what's most associated with it. Not Niantic the developer, not Pokemon Company the handler, but Nintendo who are almost wholly associated with the games. THAT benefits the company and THAT is a likely reason why its CEO would continue to ensure it would work even in his hospital bed.

Anyways, Iwata. :(

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OGAu_DeKckI/hqdefault.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[quote="Aters, post: 213485031"]

Not sure if serious.
What has Miyazaki ever achieved to put him in the same paragraph with the big hits of Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

it was probably the most obvious sarcasm ever

Top Bottom