• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Expects Wii U to be Priced Higher than Wii

Gaborn

I think if it was releasing tomorrow it'd be $399. Since it's not, by that time it is I suspect they'll get it to probably $300, MAYBE $350.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gaborn said:
I think if it was releasing tomorrow it'd be $399. Since it's not, by that time it is I suspect they'll get it to probably $300, MAYBE $350.

I'mma say 299 with some sort of Mii game bundled.

KHarvey16

Just based on the early information about the CPU, GPU and the controller it seems a completely justifiable $400 debut could be very possible.

$300-$349.

I expect anywhere in that area. I can't see them eclipsing their last highest priced console ever with one anymore than $100 more.

I think $299 sounds about right. $349 wouldn't surprise me but Nintendo likes to play in the comfort zone, barring 3D handheld devices.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
claviertekky said:
Since Nintendo sells things at a profit, it'll most likely be $299.99 USD.

But it's a very high end system, even more than the PS3 back in 2006, Wii U is completely insane and over the top ( again 6'' LCD full tablet controller ,Power 7 CPU, modern custom AMD chip,Wii BC- I think it's hardware BC since there is no upscale) so I just think it very very hard to be under $300, with Nintendo strategy at selling with a profit, I think $399 or $350 are more realistic.

Totobeni said:
But it's a very high end system, even more than the PS3 back in 2006, Wii U is completely insane and over the top ( again 6'' LCD full tablet controller ,Power 7 CPU, modern custom AMD chip,Wii BC- I think it's hardware BC since there is no upscale) so I just think it very very hard to be under $300, with Nintendo strategy at selling with a profit, I think $399 or $350 are more realistic.
Uh huh.

Yeah... the system is most likely going to be a little powerhouse, but I think you're overselling it.

I love all these pricing predictions, based on absolutely nothing.

Do most of the armchair analysts in here realize we have no firm details about any of the components that makeup this console?

A possible PP7 CPU with no solid info on cores and clock rate.

A possible 5000 series GPU - completely unconfirmed.

A proprietary optical media - Unknown capacity.

RAM - completely unknown.

JGS

Banned
Triforce-of-Hate said:
I love all these pricing predictions, based on absolutely nothing.

Do most of the armchair analysts in here realize we have no firm details about any of the components that makeup this console?

A possible PP7 CPU with no solid info on cores and clock rate.

A possible 5000 series GPU - completely unconfirmed.

A proprietary optical media - Unknown capacity.

RAM - completely unknown.
None of this matters if it cost too much, or priced right but perceived as not worth it.

Nintendo can't price this too high especially after the PS3 fiasco.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It all varies with the amount of additions they're going to announce in the future. In its current state, I'd expect a respectable 300 dollars.

Amir0x

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Uh huh.

Yeah... the system is most likely going to be a little powerhouse, but I think you're overselling it.

yeah. So massively overselling it that it's almost comical. For the time period, Wii U is not at all demonstratively more powerful than PS3 or 360 were in its time frame relative to the tech of the time.

But I expect $399.99 just like 360 was when it came out

outunderthestars said:
I promise you that is not the case. Some rep misspoke.
If the system truly only supports one screen controller per console, retailers will NEVER bother stocking standalone screen controllers. You'd have to buy a replacement directly through Nintendo. The shelf space is too valuable.

Yeah I'm going with $300-$400 for Wiiu

I'm still confused about the controller, people are gonna break controllers, it happens , we will get free replacements for the entire life cycle?

I think a Wii spots remix will be include with the system

Roto13

a Master Ninja said:
If the system truly only supports one screen controller per console, retailers will NEVER bother stocking standalone screen controllers. You'd have to buy a replacement directly through Nintendo. The shelf space is too valuable.
Well, I've seen enough DS chargers on store shelves.

JGS said:
None of this matters if it cost too much, or priced right but perceived as not worth it.

Nintendo can't price this too high especially after the PS3 fiasco.

It's really quite the opposite.

It matters even more so when considering Nintendo's business model of not subsidizing their hardware at a loss. No one can claim to predict a price until we have more firm details about what is going into the machine itself. Then and only then can we actually predict a price, and only after that is when the value proposition enters the equation.

NewFresh

I am half expecting Nintendo to drop the price of the 3DS to $199 around holiday 2011. This makes room for the WiiU to be priced around $350

saunderez

Datschge said:
SSD is better in all ways except for size, why would one still want a HDD?
Because SSD is really expensive for a decent amount of storage. It's not a viable alternative if you want to store 500GB of stuff. I will likely want to store 500GB of stuff on my console next gen judging from the struggle to keep my 120GB with some free space.

Roto13 said:
Well, I've seen enough DS chargers on store shelves.
Not the same at all. Those are small, commonly lost, and are more than 50% margin.

Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy rather sell you accidental coverage plans. Not to mention the confusion and returns that would be caused by people buying 3 extra screens for their new Wii U only to find out they don't work. Or people just buying the screen thinking that is the console. Mark my words, the standalone screen is never coming to retail if the system only supports one at a time.

Amir0x said:
yeah. So massively overselling it that it's almost comical. For the time period, Wii U is not at all demonstratively more powerful than PS3 or 360 were in its time frame relative to the tech of the time.

I swear man. I think it's going to be a powerful console, at its peak anywhere from 50%-75% of what either next console from Sony and MS are at, well... depending on what the RAM amount is in this little fucker, but jesus.

Some of these people are acting just shy of batshit. Half generational leap to 3-quarters at best. It's more like a Dreamcast in the age of hyper-scalable engines.

Amir0x

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I swear man. I think it's going to be a powerful console, at its peak anywhere from 50%-75% of what either next console from Sony and MS are at, well... depending on what the RAM amount is in this little fucker, but jesus.

Some of these people are acting just shy of batshit. Half generational leap to 3-quarters at best. It's more like a Dreamcast in the age of hyper-scalable engines.

i think people are just so over the top happy that Nintendo finally is releasing competent tech again that they can't help but get carried away

Frankly I am giddy about it so I can understand in a way. These Nintendo fans have been left in the cold for years while the big boys got all the games and all the best content, it must be like getting cold water splashed in your face after walking through a desert.

Amir0x said:
i think people are just so over the top happy that Nintendo finally is releasing competent tech again that they can't help but get carried away

Frankly I am giddy about it so I can understand in a way. These Nintendo fans have been left in the cold for years while the big boys got all the games and all the best content, it must be like getting cold water splashed in your face after walking through a desert.
God I'm glad I'm a Nintendo fanboy that has always bought other consoles. Nintendo is my top gaming love, but good God is their arsenal limited.

That and I'll always be a techylite at heart.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thunder Monkey said:
God I'm glad I'm a Nintendo fanboy that has always bought other consoles. Nintendo is my top gaming love, but good God is their arsenal limited.

Same with me. I learned long ago to buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and the odd third-party exclusive. I have other consoles for the games Nintendo consoles don't get and for the much better versions of the games that Nintendo consoles do get.

Parch

Amir0x said:
i think people are just so over the top happy that Nintendo finally is releasing competent tech again that they can't help but get carried away.
Finally. Top quality HD first party Nintendo titles. I want that too, but I'm not convinced that's enough to justify the purchase. A scary lack of 3rd party support, busted multiplayer, and the possibility of Wii U having only a 2 or 3 year advantage is a valid, major concern.

$250 for a Wii: Shame on me for buying
$250 for a 3DS: Shame on Nintendo

More than $300 for the WiiU: Can't get fooled again

Amir0x said:

You could still buy the tard pack for $299. It did play every game at launch. Regardless of it being a tard pack or not... it was an option.

ULTROS! said:

Btw, it's important to note that the Wii cost the less in Japan than any other territory because Wii Sports was not a pack in game and sold separately.

NewFresh

Amir0x said:

You should have written it in Haiku form

Fans get cold water
splashed in their face after a
walk through the desert

Thunder Monkey said:

Here here. Nintendo puts out great games, but why miss all the other great stuff on the other platforms.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
You should have written it in Haiku form

Fans get cold water
splashed in their face after a
walk through the desert

Here here. Nintendo puts out great games, but why miss all the other great stuff on the other platforms.
Only an asshole hater writes off an avenue of gaming enjoyment.

kaiwing

Considering that the Wii right now is $140 new and we just entered Summer, if the console launches Spring 2012 I can definitely see the Wii at $99-$129 next year and the WiiU at $200-$250 with WiiU controllers at $60. The buttons,dpad, and sticks are the same, so the screen is the extra cost. The Wii at that price would be the perfect starter system and WiiU would be the compromise for parents. Parents see that they can keep all their games since they work AND kids and teens can have the perfectly ported violent games that they crave.

Can't really elaborate in any meaningful way since we don't know the specs.

I wouldn't mind dropping $400 for a Nintendo Wii U with a 4850 and triple core @3.6GHz with 1-1.5GB 1333+ RAM. Hell with those specs, they wouldn't even need to drop the price on the console once Sony/MS launch theirs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't regret buying my Wii at launch for 25,000 Yen or whatever it was despite how little I've actually played it over the years. There have been a few games that made it well worth it, and I'll happily pick up the Wii U at launch if it's around $300 or less.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope they price it that cheap. But based on how expensive they're making the controller sound and the fact that the tech inside is actually competent relative to the year it's releasing, I'm going with $350~$399.

Top Bottom