• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I don't see how 3ds sales won't skyrocket right away. It's the same price as a DSi, and it's backwards compatible. The DSi sells 300-500k a month in the US. You'd have to be brain dead to buy one over a 3DS now.

You really don't see why someone would buy a DSi XL over 3DS at the same price?

1) Huge screens on the XL.
2) Doesn't care about 3D.
3) Gigantic, established software library compared to a small 3DS one.

Even if you tried to sell the 3DS on the basis that you can play DS games on it, it comes back to the huge screens of the XL.

Naming this thing the "3DS" has been a blunder from the start. All I hear is "Oh, there is a 3D version out." "Will your DS games been in 3D now?" "Can I play these 3DS games in my DSi?" Etc. People currently see it as another version of the DS right now. It will take an insane marketing push just to get people to understand they aren't the same.

Branduil

BurntPork said:
Not if they kill it in four months. That timeline is suicide. In four months, their stock will be non-existent, and the only way they'll regain the trust of investors is by going third-party. Giving a timeline like this was the dumbest thing Iwata could have done.
Did I really just read this?

People that think the 3DS will go belly up or be discontinued are just silly and must not live in reality and must only visit message boards where people like to think they matter more than they really do.

mooooose

It'll be a success. Also he made it sound like a redesign isn't coming soon. He realizes now that he saturated the market with DS redesigns.

Good move in the long run, even if 3DS does need a redesign. If they do a redesign, I think it should replace the current model, not act along side of it. Just get the numbers of the original in the channel low and then replace for the same price.

Sky Chief

Plinko said:
I'm sorry, but I think those in here thinking it won't help are absolutely out of their mind.

1. They're not lowering DSi prices, which will kill off the DS.

So a DSi XL will be more expensive than a 3DS. Wow

Dabanton

BlazingDarkness said:
The problem with that 3DS advert is that it's not at all targeting their previous demographic - it looks like a PSP/PS3 ad. Which is good to differentiate it from the DS, but it's not going to help them sell units, especially with the Vita breathing down it's neck

Agree

That ad smells of male teen gamer. It also says much about the system by the games they choose to show.

In fact the entire 3DS reeks of teen gamer.

Mael said:
Why should anyone blame them anyway? Especially the western devs, they released jackshit on DS anyway, why would the usual customer expect anything from them anyway?
I was just responding to Vinci about how come the third party did not support the 3DS and the Wii.

Cygnus X-1

BlazingDarkness said:
Most definitely. It's a marketing disaster waiting to happen, the whole reveal itself confused everyone, and they were using Wii peripherals along with it, very confusing

I expect this 3DS shambles will result in a redesign and rename of Wii U before it's next public revealing.

Moving on Wii U subject, I seriously expect Nintendo at the conference of this fall to have some decent show and correct some big mistakes they did with 3DS. First of all, the price will be not higher than 250$. With a controller. Second, the name will be changed. Third. The controller probably will enjoy some changes as well. Fourth: no launch without a solid line-up. It is possible Wii U will be pushed back for some months because of that.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mael said:
Nope but I really did like WiiSport Resort while I'm still waiting for Metroid 25th anniversary projects.

You devil! But Wii Sports and Wii Music are different games. Just like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis are different games. And we should be celebrating Metroid and Kid Icarus anniversaries this year :(

Mael said:
Comparing Other M to Zelda 2 is laughable to the extreme, Zelda 2 had excellent market reception. It sold fairly well and it's only recently that it's been seen as the black sheep.Seriously it sold at least 8 times better on NES with a vastly reduced market on a smaller userbase than Other M on Wii.It's not comparable AT ALL.

I would not call the Wii userbase that much bigger than the NES. Also the NES software sales were much evenly distributed as opposed to the Wii where only these phenom pop-culture games sell droves while everything else bombs (Sin Punishment, Metroid Other M, etc). But Metroid: Other M was polarizing. If you take a peek in the GAF thread there are several people who love it. And several who hate it. This entire topic is digressing from the original post. So we can agree to disagree.

Mael said:
And while I'm still waiting to see what made Tomodachi collection so appealing (I'm basically saying I won't discuss it, I don't know the product).I'm fully content in saying that Rhythm Heaven was actually a good thing to do (and an even bigger reason why I'm so angry at OthHeaven Wii will per M turning out how it did), we've still got to see how Rhythm erform although the way Nintendo poisoned the well, I wouldn't blame anyone if the game underperformed.

One point we should remember. Is that Sakamoto's team basically created the Miis. Iwata borrowed them to work on the Wii. Then they were transferred back to Sakamoto department to finish Tomodachi Collection. Thus the Mii has direct correlation to our beloved Sakamoto.

madara

3D once again isnt working it seems. I actually turn it off it just is not worth the instant headache and eye strain I get, nor is it that impressive. If 3D is what is driving the lost on new 3ds price in retrospect I wish they spend the money instead on more power.

Nekofrog

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Most definitely. It's a marketing disaster waiting to happen, the whole reveal itself confused everyone, and they were using Wii peripherals along with it, very confusing

I expect this 3DS shambles will result in a redesign and rename of Wii U before it's next public revealing.

I hope so. But despite this massive price drop, I think Nintendo is too proud a company to backpeddle like that.

Vinci

Danish
orioto said:
Hm innovative games on ps360 i would say lots of indy games, physics oriented games, lots of new game mechanics etc.. I don't see innovation as something new you do with your hand.. I prefer pertinent progression in game design in general you know.. Like cool new rpg systems and all that, innovation is everywhere and cool ideas are everywhere. Sound shape ? Pixel junk shooter ? Braid ? Block that matters ?

And why could none of those games appear on a Nintendo platform? And several of those you mentioned were DD titles. As I said, I don't have a problem with DD and I assumed the games you listed would be such. DD is an innovation. It's one that Nintendo should adopt but hasn't yet. And that's a mistake, IMO, for what it's worth.

What irks me more about those games? Those aren't the games, by and large, that people bought those platforms for. Those aren't in retail getting the mainstream audience's attention. And frankly, that pisses me off 'cause they're great.

Well, on what happens those days with 3ds ??

I see where you're coming from now. You think the 3DS innovation is a sign that hardware innovation is bad or that it shouldn't be such a huge focus for the company. Let me clear that up: The 3DS's 'innovation' is bullshit. It's worthless. It adds nothing of actual substance to the playing of games, nor does it lead to innovative software. Nintendo traditionally does both - hardware and software innovation - but the problem is that the 3DS isn't really innovative. I would actually agree that it's a gimmick in the derogatory sense that people love to use that word describing.

The problem isn't hardware innovation, it's that this particular 'innovation' is a problem. And I completely agree that Nintendo is going to have to pull some miracle shit out of its bag if it hopes for the 3DS to sell anywhere close to the DS. But you don't toss out the entire premise of your operations out because you fucked up in executing it in one case.

Morokh

Still even if those are BIG titles, having to wait for November / December for Mario and Mariokart here in europe to actually be able to play games on my system is a bit of a long wait !

(and it's not even confirmed that we get it at those dates)

And even with Starfox coming before (one I won't get) there really is nothing else to look for on the system outside of that unless I really missed something.

THAT is the next gig problem they should adress, or the thing will underperform once again.

Dabanton said:
Agree

That ad smells of male teen gamer. It also says much about the system by the games they choose to show.

In fact the entire 3DS reeks of teen gamer.
Well, are there enough touch-generations' like games out on the 3DS right now to warrant a commercial with Nicole Kidman in a white room laughing at her portable?

Seik said:
Just saw that, I loled XD

3DSHASNOGAME.jpg

I think Christmas will put Nintendo back on track, the price drop, all the new games coming out during holidays. Kids will kill each other and beg their parents for a 3DS.

Kid: 'I WANT MAH 3DS DADDY!'
Dad: 'You know, son, I can't afford 250$ right now, even if its Christmas.. I'll buy it when the price will drop.'
Kid: 'No! Look! *Shows an ad with the price drop*
Dad: 'Shit...=_='

Well...maybe I'm too positive about this whole situation, but that's my version of what will happen. :)

Nah, I actually agree with you. I think 3DS would have ultimately be "ok" even without the price drop by the end of the year, but Nintendo wants the userbase to blow up. The price drop will definitely help on that

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
You really don't see why someone would buy a DSi XL over 3DS at the same price?

1) Huge screens on the XL.
2) Doesn't care about 3D.
3) Gigantic, established software library compared to a small 3DS one.

Even if you tried to sell the 3DS on the basis that you can play DS games on it, it comes back to the huge screens of the XL.

Naming this thing the "3DS" has been a blunder from the start. All I hear is "Oh, there is a 3D version out." "Will your DS games been in 3D now?" "Can I play these 3DS games in my DSi?" Etc. People currently see it as another version of the DS right now. It will take an insane marketing push just to get people to understand they aren't the same.
The only point that stands is the first.

Cygnus X-1

I want just add to this thread a thing that till now has not been subject of discussion: you are all taking as granted the fact that the quality of Mario Land and Mario Kart will be enough high to make them big system seller.

We'll see.

Dyno

In a way this is like a pre-order bonus for upcoming 3DS software. Buy the handheld now cheap and wait for the games.

Vinci

Danish
Cygnus X-1 said:
I want just add to this thread a thing that till now has not been subject of discussion: you are all taking as granted the fact that the quality of Mario Land and Mario Kart will be enough high to make them big system seller.

We'll see.

Mario Kart should do pretty well for the system. Mario Land? Right.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Lonely1 said:
The only point that stands is only the first.

You don't think people not giving a shit about 3D stands? If you don't care about 3D, wtf is the point of buying a 3DS for the moms and dads that Nintendo depends on?

With this slice of humility pie erasing Nintendo's Wii/DS mega success pent up hubris is it safe to say that the Wii U will launch with a appropriately low price, as in the same as what the Wii had, and Nintendo will delay the launch to perhaps later in 2012 in order to build up a good library of games?

Vinci

Danish
Kintaro said:
You don't think people not giving a shit about 3D stands? If you don't care about 3D, wtf is the point of buying a 3DS for the moms and dads that Nintendo depends on?

If their kid asks for it? Which probably will have more to do with Mario Kart than the 3D effect, truth be told.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
The new software that the 3DS will receive that isn't compatible with the older DSes?

Souldriver said:
I'm sure there have been talks in Nintendo's headquarters about possible names (changes) for the console.
Changing the name of the 3DS after launch is a very horrible strategy. All the awareness that people have towards the product will evaporate. Nintendo is spending a lot of money to educate people about the difference between the DS and the 3DS. If they change the name, all their marketing efforts and money would have been for nothing.

(._.)

Banned
Cutting the price for the 3ds is probably the smartest thing they have done in the last couple years. I see nothing but great opertuinty now that so many people are more willing to purchase. Hope tons of killer aigames come in the coming years

Cygnus X-1 said:

We'll see.

Are you trying to say Mario Kart might not be a system seller of titanic proportions?

Well, I think I will wait until after Christmas to pick up a 3DS and see how this pans out for Nintendo. I have bought too many flopped consoles in my life not to wait and see.

So Sega, Sony and Capcom all anounce major losses this quarter meanwhile Nintendo is sitting on top of a 15 billion dollar bank and they are the one who is doomed? Good read GAF.

Vinci

Danish
Beam said:
Changing the name of the 3DS after launch is a very horrible strategy. All the awareness that people have towards the product will evaporate. Nintendo is spending a lot of money to educate people about the difference between the DS and the 3DS. If they change the name, all their marketing efforts and money would have been for nothing.

I think he was referring to the Wii U.

jjasper

So are they going to try a different marketing approach with this price drop? Surely they will do something to fix the current issue of customers thinking it is just a DS.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Vinci said:
I agree with this. I think it's time for Nintendo to start listening to some of its younger designers, who might also have something worthwhile to say about the direction of the company and its platforms. Of course Miyamoto should be involved - he's proven too significant in the past. But his voice shouldn't be so dominating.

Well Mr. Iwata does a good job of creating committees where several younger designers are brought in from all the departments to discuss product creation. I am sure there are some great ideas thrown around. But the problem is you might still have these dinosaurs (Miyamoto, Takeda, Nagai, Mori) overshadowing all the more progressive ideas here. Iwata is actually younger than the board members (the guys mentioned above) so he actually seems to relate more to the 40 year olds (konnos, aonumas, etc) even though at the end the decisions seem to be strongly influenced by the 60 year olds (mentioned before).

Kacho

It's brilliant what Nintendo is doing.

Lowering the price point to around that of a new DSi and XL? Slew of awesome 3DS games in the pipeline?

I can't wait to see the numbers over the holiday season. Nintendo is going to kill it.

Vinci

Danish
jett said:
I dunno about you by 3DLand looks like a NSMB successor to me.

It's not. It's like a strange melding of the two styles, and frankly that will hold it back in the market. They'll have to release a proper NSMB if they want the system to go god-tier.

orioto

Good Art™
Vinci said:
And why could none of those games appear on a Nintendo platform? And several of those you mentioned were DD titles. As I said, I don't have a problem with DD and I assumed the games you listed would be such. DD is an innovation. It's one that Nintendo should adopt but hasn't yet. And that's a mistake, IMO, for what it's worth.

What irks me more about those games? Those aren't the games, by and large, that people bought those platforms for. Those aren't in retail getting the mainstream audience's attention. And frankly, that pisses me off 'cause they're great.

Yeah, you're trying to avoid my real message here ;)
DD made those little games possible, sure, but what i'm trying to show is clearly that you can innovate with a piece os paper and a pen, and i don't like when Miyamoto (as id did recently) tries to make us believe that gaming is dead without Nintendo hardware gimmicks. gaming can evolve without Nintendo forcing this changes.

That doesn't mean they did not help with real and great innovations. the analog of the N64, and even the pointer in the wii are real progress for me, but this innovation by the hardware has become a blind race now.

I see where you're coming from now. You think the 3DS innovation is a sign that hardware innovation is bad or that it shouldn't be such a huge focus for the company. Let me clear that up: The 3DS's 'innovation' is bullshit. It's worthless. It adds nothing of actual substance to the playing of games, nor does it lead to innovative software. Nintendo traditionally does both - hardware and software innovation - but the problem is that the 3DS isn't really innovative. I would actually agree that it's a gimmick in the derogatory sense that people love to use that word describing.

The problem isn't hardware innovation, it's that this particular 'innovation' is a problem. And I completely agree that Nintendo is going to have to pull some miracle shit out of its bag if it hopes for the 3DS to sell anywhere close to the DS. But you don't toss out the entire premise of your operations out because you fucked up in executing it in one case.

And that's what i'm saying exactly about the 3ds. You say nintendo can innovate and this is not the problem, but this time they just bullshited us. Well i say, they did that cause their strategy is to innovate at all cost and to sell hardware based on those innovations, more than the games. Except now that there is no "free" innovations that they can use while nobody had think about it before, well.. they have to bullshit us.
That's why i'm saying, stop the innovation bullshit, except if you have something that actually relates to gaming and is a real progression. But most of all, don't rely on it exclusivly, thinking that the usual nintendo best sellers will come after that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man, the media is really pushing the Nintendo vs. Apple thing hard, aren't they?

Nintendo Admits Defeat, Lowers Nintendo 3DS Price to $169.99 as Apple Enthusiasts Proclaim Victory

Smartphone sales certainly have something to do with it, but a high price point for both hardware AND software, plus no killer titles (until Zelda, anyway) doomed the 3DS from the start.

On another note, that "we can set the price higher because people were enthusiastic at E3" sentiment from Iwata will go down as one of the worst comments by a console manufacturer along with "get a second job" or "people will buy it even without games". I don't know why huge sales turns console maker chiefs into assholes, but they pay for it. Every. Single. Time. Iwata looks like an idiot now, and honestly, Nintendo deserved humble pie. I think they took the industry too far in terms of casual games, and were far too flippant when it came to their fans.

Beam said:
Basically. If they are going to do anything like that, they would probably change the 3DS logo and packaging to make it more distinctive.

Gravijah said:
There's an actual 2D Mario in development.

Where was this said? I assumed there was simply confusion over this game being a 2d Mario extruded into the 3rd dimension. I'm talking about the '2 3DS marios' rumour rather than Wii U NSMB of course.

turnbuckle

All I know is I wanted one a year ago, didn't want one a week ago, and I want one now. That said, part of me wants to wait until the holidays to see if there are any bundles. I love SFIV but can't be bothered to play it on a portable and little else has me interested yet. Get some good RPGs and strategy games on there and I'll completely forget about the botched launch.

GSR

VanMardigan said:
Man, the media is really pushing the Nintendo vs. Apple thing hard, aren't they?

Nintendo Admits Defeat, Lowers Nintendo 3DS Price to $169.99 as Apple Enthusiasts Proclaim Victory

Smartphone sales certainly have something to do with it, but a high price point for both hardware AND software, plus no killer titles (until Zelda, anyway) doomed the 3DS from the start.

The iPhone and the tech subculture it's kicked off are the media's darlings right now. Apple's making ridiculous amounts of cash off it, and so the media wants to cover what's popular - what's popular being the iPhone. So anything that can be compared to it will be, and other reasons (such as the price point and poor lineup) are pushed to the side because "is Apple taking out Nintendo?" makes a better headline.

I remember the CNN review for the 3DS was literally just ten minutes of the guy comparing it to an iPhone. It was ridiculous.

M3d10n

darkside31337 said:
I know it sounds crazy but what if it doesn't kill off the DS?

Plenty of people may still buy a DSi/XL instead of a 3DS even if they are the same exact price. Nintendo has been that woefully ineffective at marketing the 3DS. A lot of people aren't interested in the 3D effect, have no idea how it works exactly, have no idea that you have the option of turning it off, and most importantly have no idea that it's actually the newest system and not just a new iteration of the DS.

It would not shock me that even with the DSi/XL and 3DS being nearly the same price the sales difference isn't that drastic and far from kills the legacy DS line.

Nintendo desperately needs to relaunch the system with new marketing that actually drills the point home, that the 3DS is not just a new version of the DS but an entirely new system in itself.
They aren't the same price yet. Or maybe you're from the future? Can you tell me the lotto numbers please?

Reuenthal

Banned
It seems that Investors were scared and run off due to short term loss of profit. I see it becoming profitable due to the price and new software coming but I doubt as profitable as Iwata expects in that short period. But I see his gambit paying off in the long term.

Also if I had Nintendo shares I would keep them.

Top Bottom