• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

Cheerilee

Good Things Iwata has been involved with.
+ Almost single handedly drafted the idea of Brain Age, and went to Dr. Kawashima himself to acquire the license and concept. Then created the internal Nintendo teams that would develop Brain Age, English Training, DS Dictionary, and all those mega successful Touch Generation games.
+ Iwata Asks
+ Nintendo Direct
+ Expand EAD to Tokyo. (But what about Osaka and Sapporo?)
+ Purchased Monolith Soft.
+ Salvaged ND Cube

Bad Things Iwata has been involved with.
- Destroyed Nintendo of America's self government.
- Over empowered Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto has mismanaged EAD Division's scheduling and concepts on several occasions.
- Poorly managed Western first-party productions and localization approval
- Virtual Console horrible management
- Failed to expand Overall R&D at a sufficient rate
- Western R&D management

I'm not even touching the hardware decisions.

Wasn't that just a way for Namco-Bandai to cast off Nintendo's influence after Yamauchi's failed takeover of Bandai?

I mean, buying Monolith does seem like a great move, but it wasn't really an "Iwata" thing to do, and Iwata's actively spoken out against such moves, and... maybe he didn't really "buy" them at all, he just traded one small piece of a big company for a big piece of a small one.

NoA never had self governance though. Japan always had a strangle hold, they're the reason why game publishers had to create more labels to release their games under because of the 5 games a year limit NoA was forced to set.

VAPitts

Counter a point if you like instead of labeling it erroneous. That was a balance sheet pretty much. 6 positive things and 6 negative things I felt Iwata was involved with. Not sure what more objectivity a person with opinions can present. Shouldn't you be allowed to point out good and bad? Or should discussion be routed to a one way street of adoration.

yeah 6 negative things that are nothing more than a fantasy in somebodies head.

Instro

Someone who has been paying attention to the western tech/games market in the last 10 years.

As far as tech goes, I think Genyo Takeda is in large part responsible for their current vision in this regard as well. If Iwata goes he should be ousted too, and Miyamoto needs to be removed from his current position as well.

JordanN

Banned
If Iwata were to step down what kinda of CEO would you guys like to see?

A businessman who understands the importance of cutting edge technology in the game industry, is friendly to ALL third party developers. So not just Japanese, but also North American. He or she would do his or her best to get in contact with all major publishers, willing to sacrifice days of sleep until this objective is met.

He or she would also treat the console and its consumers with respect. If there's a drought, he or she will personally take the blame.

Online and strong marketing should also be his or her focus. The days of Nintendo confusing consumers around the world must come to an end.

I don't think this is asking for much. Rather, it's been overdue.

A businessman who understands the importance of cutting edge technology in the game industry, is friendly to ALL third party developers. So not just Japanese, but also North American. He or she would do his or her best to get in contact with all major publishers, willing to sacrifice days of sleep until this objective is met.

He or she would also treat the console and its consumers with respect. If there's a drought, he or she will personally take the blame.

Online and strong marketing should also be his or her focus. The days of Nintendo confusing consumers around the world must come to an end.

I don't think this is asking for much. Rather, it's been overdue.

So you want the successor of Iwata to have Nintendo jump head-first into Sony and Microsoft's territory in all respects. I thought that was what resulted in the GameCube?

Nintendo would be eaten alive, if not by the other two's already solid standings, by their own monetary limitations. The fact investors are looking for Iwata's head after just 1 year of losses, I'm not sure they'd like someone spending money out the wazoo, even if it was to accomplish something in the end.

Speevy

Banned
if he does step down...whoever they replace him with will not do what Gaf wants

tumblr_lwas7oOYWm1r8umx7o1_500.jpg

Javier

Woah, hold on. When the 3DS drought forced a price cut, Iwata took full responsibility for it and cut his own paycheck as a result. Now, with the Wii U drought he stated he's resigning if he can't fix things up by the end of the Fiscal Year, so essentially he's putting his own job on the line.

I understand that CEOs should take responsibility for major company mistakes, but not acknowledging Iwata did just that isn't really fair.

JordanN

Banned
So you want the successor of Iwata to have Nintendo jump head-first into Sony and Microsoft's territory in all respects. I thought that was what resulted in the GameCube?

Nintendo would be eaten alive, if not by the other two's already solid standings, by their own monetary limitations. The fact investors are looking for Iwata's head after just 1 year of losses, I'm not sure they'd like someone spending money out the wazoo, even if it was to accomplish something in the end.

Gamecube had downfalls Microsoft and Sony had no control over.

So saying they would be eaten alive doesn't make sense when it was Nintendo who caused it to fail. Just like how they're causing Wii U to fail harder.

Woah, hold on. When the 3DS drought forced a price cut, Iwata took full responsibility for it and cut his own paycheck as a result. Now, with the Wii U drought he stated he's resigning if he can't fix things up by the end of the Fiscal Year, so essentially he's putting his own job on the line.

I understand that CEOs should take responsibility for major company mistakes, but not acknowledging Iwata did just that isn't really fair.

The fact that he's already been through this once is exactly why he should be fired.

royalan

if he does step down...whoever they replace him with will not do what The Market wants

Fixed, and false.

Honestly, you guys can't make this out to be another case of GAF vilifying Nintendo. Not anymore.

Have you seen those sales figures? THE MARKET is vilifying Iwata/Nintendo.

Tookay

And Nintendo jumping head-first into its own territory resulted in the Wii U.

How long is the fact that the Gamecube existed at one time under completely different market pressures going to be a compelling argument for why they should stick to idiosyncrasies that the market isn't responding to?

JordanN

Banned

The 3DS drought shouldn't have happened though.

What was 3DS must have game for months? Ocarina of Time 3D?

That was pathetic.

I love Miyamoto but him leading just the various dev groups...shows why he isn't the man for any leadership job.

I never understood this. Why is Miyamoto taking so much heat?

Edit: Never mind. I think you are talking about an Executive Position like CEO. Because I think he does a good job as manager of EAD

And Nintendo jumping head-first into its own territory resulted in the Wii U.

How long is the fact that the Gamecube existed at one time under completely different market pressures going to be a compelling argument for why they should stick to idiosyncrasies that the market isn't responding to?

People seem to have no problem comparing Wii U sales to the GC or bringing up "x series didn't help the GC" despite those different market pressures...

Sandfox

consumers are sheep and will buy whatever looks cool or has interesting features so it wouldn't be all that bad.

Not a Japanese. Anyway I don't think iwata goes so soon. Nintendo won't do that.

I don't really see a problem with having someone that's Japanese. They would just need to have a different philosphy.

Fixed, and false.

Honestly, you guys can't make this out to be another case of GAF vilifying Nintendo. Not anymore.

Have you seen those sales figures? THE MARKET is vilifying Iwata/Nintendo.

Hold your horses.

I'm saying that the new guy won't exactly do any of the stuff people are asking for in this very thread.

Im not saying Gaf is villifying anyone...I'm just saying that change will not get what they are asking for.

If The Wii U doesn't turn around (it never will "win" the next race) or fails hard even after the hail mary of games come out then yes Iwata should step down,...He fucked up by going after the market they already lost.

BUT

with that change would not all of a sudden come a Nintendo that "gets" the west with better online 2000 Gigs of Ram and a free pony.

Just like going third party won't fix their output.

Just my opinion tho...I will never claim to be an expert...I just don't see it being as easy as some here make it.

Sandfox

Considering what they would have to do to get to that point (abandoning Wii U, sinking MORE money in to R&D, etc), then yeah, I'd say it would be pretty bad.

I was referring to his "eaten alive" comment more than anything else; It would obviously take pretty moderate/heavy spending and a lot of effort to pull it off.

Why do people even entertain the idea of abandoning the Wii U? Is it something that's seriously considered as being a good idea? How is it dead? It hasn't received ANY of its large Nintendo titles (3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc) so how are people so confused that it's too late to save? What precedent is there?

Oh, and don't say the Dreamcast because Sega was simultaneously going bankrupt and couldn't support the system. Not to mention the sale dropped off after significant amounts of support from Sega and 3rd parties so there really isn't an analogous situation for people to be make such absolute claims based on

Risette

A Good Citizen
Why do people even entertain the idea of abandoning the Wii U? Is it something that's seriously considered as being a good idea? How is it dead? It hasn't received ANY of its large Nintendo titles (3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc) so how are people so confused that it's too late to save? What precedent is there?
There is nothing to save. It's a system for nobody. It has no real hook. No real reason to exist.

Sandfox

Oh, and don't say the Dreamcast because Sega was simultaneously going bankrupt and couldn't support the system. Not to mention the sale dropped off after significant amounts of support from Sega and 3rd parties so there really isn't an analogous situation for people to be make such absolute claims based on

I really doubt the Wii U is going to be abandoned and even if Nintendo did decide to drop it in favor of something else it would take them a few years to produce it in which they would continue to support the Wii U unless it causes them to lose crazy amounts of money.

Instro

I never understood this. Why is Miyamoto taking so much heat?

Edit: Never mind. I think you are talking about an Executive Position like CEO. Because I think he does a good job as manager of EAD

Is he? I mean the all the droughts, the questionable decisions regarding delays and software development. He has had a lot of input on software lineups, which has been a major downfall of their last 2 launches now. He's an amazing designer and director, but I'm not sure how well he does having his hat in management and game creation. He is just as much involved in their current direction as anyone else.

It's not about one person taking heat, its about all of them taking heat. Just losing Iwata would not solve anything. NoA needs a strong new president and they need to be the ones talking to western 3rd parties rather than NoJ. NoJ needs new leadership and vision in multiple areas as well.

BlackJace

Blah blah GameCube received the AAA support, blah blah tracking below GameCube, blah blah casuals been gone yo, blah blah no third parties, blah blah next gen hardware, blah blah hardcore waiting to bust their load all over next gen, blah blah gimmicks.

And 8GB GDDR5 somewhere in the mix.

Well there was the Virtua Boy.....

I think most people just want Nintendo to kill it so they can make a ps4 level console and get those 3rd parties they are missing out on.

If they were gonna do it....now would be the "best" time I guess.

I think it would be stupid to do so regardless...but what do I know?

royalan

People seem to have no problem comparing Wii U sales to the GC or bringing up "x series didn't help the GC" despite those different market pressures...

Because it's a better comparison.

The GameCube and N64 ARE evidence that Nintendo's core franchises won't move an exceptional amount of systems if they're tied to hardware that is seen as unappealing or not marketed properly. They're proof that this strategy fanboys seem to always want Nintendo to rely on ha failed in the past.

However, people claiming that the GameCube failed because it was Nintendo trying to "play Sony and MS' game" have no clue why the GameCube failed, because Ninty definitely wasn't playing their game. In fact, that was part of the problem.

Tookay

Different comparisons entirely. You can compare the GCN sales to Wii ones as a baseline for how a lower-performing console is doing in the marketplace.

But to say that Nintendo should cede the technological arms race forever because "the Gamecube competed with Sony/MS and failed, and the Wii didn't compete and succeeded" is a really simplistic analysis. Especially since the areas where they differed from the competition (the mini-disc medium, controller functionality, aesthetics, release timing etc.) were pretty good reasons why they failed.

Consumer values change. Nintendo thought they were playing the same game as 2006, yet each generation has its own rules and the audience they nurtured basically abandoned them for greener pastures. One of the downsides to basing their product around a underpowered consoles and an accompanying controller/"gimmick" is that if that gimmick doesn't pan out, it puts them in a bad position. There's no wiggle room for them to position the system as something else.

Not to mention, while they stuck to their "underpowered" technology philosophy, they violated one of the Wii's virtues in being cheap to produce. The very controller the Wii U's based around is contributing to their loss on every unit sold, to no discernible benefit. The consumer isn't valuing it.

While the Gamecube might have burned them before, it doesn't seem like the continuation of the Wii Strategy Part Deux is doing them any favors on the console-front either. This might have been the right time to - if not exactly match Sony and Microsoft feature for feature - at least make an earnest attempt, but with a Nintendo touch. Instead, we have something that feels totally half-assed and has no room for future-proofing or changing direction.

Daingurse

Because it's a better comparison.

The GameCube and N64 ARE evidence that Nintendo's core franchises won't move an exceptional amount of systems if they're tied to hardware that is seen as unappealing or not marketed properly. They're proof that this strategy fanboys seem to always want Nintendo to rely on ha failed in the past.

However, people claiming that the GameCube failed because it was Nintendo trying to "play Sony and MS' game" have no clue why the GameCube failed, because Ninty definitely wasn't playing their game. In fact, that was part of the problem.

Exactly, however you couldn't say this shit a few months ago without someone jumping down your throat.

Blah blah GameCube received the AAA support, blah blah tracking below GameCube, blah blah casuals been gone yo, blah blah no third parties, blah blah next gen hardware, blah blah hardcore waiting to bust their load all over next gen, blah blah gimmicks.

And 8GB GDDR5 somewhere in the mix.

Well..... what should people be talking about then?

Regardless of all this shit.

They need to actually release shit for it lol.

They need to just pump the market full of big hitters...no staggering released for reasons.

Just let them thangz go.

The system hasn't been out even a year but still They need to release the Kracken so to speak.
'Then we can see how it will do....right now it's all speculation.

Basically do what they are seemingly doing for the 3DS (regardless of the "waaah it's only a bunch of Mario games shit) and maybe people will get hyped for your console. I know it worked for me with the 3ds.

I will eventually buy a wii U...if only for 3D Mario and Smash..but man I am in no hurry.

Tookay

Anything you want? He wanted a recap and I gave it to him. Sure it's getting tiring hearing the same counter arguments to every poster with a ray of hope for the system, but I'm not being dismissive of them if that's what you think.

Look, I own a Wii U.

Nintendo's my favorite developer by a longshot.

I'd like things to be rosy.

But they need to do better than this. They've carved out their own little niche which worked for a time, but the niche is turning into a ghetto.

JordanN

Banned
Hey guys, I just ask for Iwata to show a little empathy to the people who buys his consoles.

Wii U's gamepad looks nice but then, why must there be a million bad things attached to it?

I'd just like to feel for once when I play Wii U, it's because it's a good console, and not because it's Iwata's paycheck.

BlackJace

Look, I own a Wii U.

Nintendo's my favorite developer by a longshot.

But they need to do better than this. They've carved out their own little niche which worked for a time, but the niche is turning into a ghetto.

Yes I agree, it's part of the reason I've steered clear of one so far. The criticism is fine, but the amount of outright doom and "kill this shit its done" this this week is kind of disappointing for a board that is capable of much better discussion.

Top Bottom