• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: Still room for growth for Wii U, Smartphone games on 3DS (Nikkei Interview)

Bullshit answers but then what he can say when the Wii U is trailing behind Dreamcast, GameCube and every other failed console ever.

Hopefully they kill it in 2016 and release the successor on Christmas 2016.

jimi_dini

I'm pretty sure that even the dev kits sold more than Ouya. It might not interest you, but it's gonna be big. Even the company I work for has started using Rifts to help with training.

It won't get big when the headset costs a fortune. Anything above $150 will bomb hard (in the vidya console space) and even $150 would be pushing it. Sure, there will be people, who are going to buy it, but it's going to be niche.

I mean people already complain about the price of the Wii U gamepad, which is actually a really cool controller, which even includes motion controls, that are making some sort of VR possible. I mean you get a window into a virtual world by using it. For example checking crime scenes in the Batman games by using the gamepad was really awesome.

Anyway unless a console comes out with the headset included as the primary controller, it will go down in any case like all tacked on peripherals do *cough* Playstation move *cough* Eyetoy *cough* Kinect *cough*.

Do you really believe that the masses are going to buy a PS4 for $300 and then a PS4 VR headset for another $300 or even more than that? And you would have to include a proper VR controller on top of that. When only a small percentage buy it, support will be bad. How many games had proper support for PS move?

Just think about how well the Wiimote would have did if Nintendo had released it as additional controller for the Gamecube. It would have flopped.

NM0dz

Neo Member
Seems very Japanese oriented, not surprising as it was an interview with a Japanese publication, buy Iwata does generally seem to forget that there is a market outside the far east.

The Japanese console market is, for all intents and purposes, dead, so surely it makes sense to concentrate on software for western audiences? I dunno. The lineup for 2015 looks godly though.

I agree with this. If I were Nintendo's decision maker, I would be aiming my portable games at Japan while creating apps for iOS that promote said portable games.

Of course, the west would get the hits (zelda, mario...) localised and a couple of others here and there. But I would not make it a focus.

As for the console side of things, I would be giving NoA autonomy and be trying to establish strong second parties. Naturally HQ would still develop mario, zelda and the other classic franchises.

I feel like there's a huge rift between Japan and the West in terms of gaming styles these days, but I also feel a lot of that can be mitigated with careful advertising and overseas dev teams. In other words, developing focused content that caters to a given demographic from a given country, instead of the traditional idea of developing with Japan in mind and trying to force that upon all other countries. That approach clearly has mixed results. It feels like Nintendo is trying to force a triangle into a rectangular hole.

Esque7

I could see some sort of software reviving the WiiU, likely something Amiibo related. The Kinect really helped boost the 360 later in its life. If Nintendo we're to pull something out of their ass that caught on, I think the WiiU still has a slight chance for some growth. Otherwise it is already dead. Price drop would certainly help as well, but not sure Nintendo are keen on that.

Raide

I could see some sort of software reviving the WiiU, likely something Amiibo related. The Kinect really helped boost the 360 later in its life. If Nintendo we're to pull something out of their ass that caught on, I think the WiiU still has a slight chance for some growth. Otherwise it is already dead. Price drop would certainly help as well, but not sure Nintendo are keen on that.

If Nintendo is already thinking about moving on, either towards the mobile market or even a new home console, they might as well drop the Wii-U price down super low and see what happens. Who knows, it might actually work for them!

JoeM86

If Nintendo is already thinking about moving on, either towards the mobile market or even a new home console, they might as well drop the Wii-U price down super low and see what happens. Who knows, it might actually work for them!

Doing that would be horrific. It'd gut into their profitability (yes, they're profitable even with the Wii U selling poorly) and would create an atmosphere where people will just wait for the price cut.

The 3DS's price cut soon after launch, while driving sales, was damaging to the Wii U. It made so many people just say "I'll wait for the inevitable price cut", which never came.

It could sell units of the Wii U, sure, but selling units doesn't make it a healthy business practice. Look at the Xbox Divsion and the PS3 for that.

It won't get big when the headset costs a fortune. Anything above $150 will bomb hard (in the vidya console space) and even $150 would be pushing it. Sure, there will be people, who are going to buy it, but it's going to be niche.

I mean people already complain about the price of the Wii U gamepad, which is actually a really cool controller, which even includes motion controls, that are making some sort of VR possible. I mean you get a window into a virtual world by using it. For example checking crime scenes in the Batman games by using the gamepad was really awesome.

Anyway unless a console comes out with the headset included as the primary controller, it will go down in any case like all tacked on peripherals do *cough* Playstation move *cough* Eyetoy *cough* Kinect *cough*.

Do you really believe that the masses are going to buy a PS4 for $300 and then a PS4 VR headset for another $300 or even more than that? And you would have to include a proper VR controller on top of that. When only a small percentage buy it, support will be bad. How many games had proper support for PS move?

Just think about how well the Wiimote would have did if Nintendo had released it as additional controller for the Gamecube. It would have flopped.
LOL I don’t know where to start with some of this.

The Wii U gamepad is in no way at all comparable to VR, AT ALL. I have seen some of the movement you can get for it (Looking at different angles from tilting etc) but to even compare it to VR is crazy. VR is the total immersion of your vision into a new world, enough to trick your brain into thinking you are there, not looking at a tablet that has a cool gyroscopic feature.

The comparison to Move etc. is pretty short sighted. Eyetoy was a success as far as Sony are concerned I believe, it may not have set the world on fire but it was very popular at the time, especially in Europe. As for the Move, that sold quite a fair amount of units and had support of 126 games. Also, the ability to use it with the PS4 camera and Move controls makes it a great start to having a control set up ready for VR. Finally, Sony have said that they see the Morpheus as a new platform, yes it might require the PS4 to function but the amount of effort they are putting into this will be comparable to releasing a new console.

Price – This wont be as much of an issue as you seem to think it will be. There are currently 20 million people who own a PS4 and thus able to use the Morpheus. By the time it actually comes out that number could be at 30 million+. Sony also realise that price will be an issue and will attempt to price it as fairly as possible to gain as many people as possible. Also, as with the PS4 it will be the hardcore adopters who pick it up first which will give them the time and money needed to improve on the internal design and most likely get better cost reduction for parts etc.

To keep comparing Morpheus, the first console VR system to Wii-motes is just short sighted and laughable. One was a fun and unique control method that didn’t suit all games but worked really well with others. VR is a complete game changer that will be the equivalent of going from playing on an Atari to a modern day console. The difference it will give in immersion is something that has never been done before and will be something that many people will want to own. You think the novelty of waving your arms around was compelling? Imagine what it will be like when people can step into other worlds, experience things with such immersion that they could never do in real life, have a whole new perspective on what they thought ‘gaming’ could be. And that’s not even including all the non gaming applications that Sony will be tackling too such as the Mars Surface virtual tour from NASA.

The VR nay-sayers are more delusional than the people who think XBO sales are going to overtake PS4, and that’s saying something.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah, when it comes to Iwata, I'm with Pachter on this.

He's out of touch. With that said, it's going to be interesting to see what Nintendo will do from here, now that VR's looming in the background.

I'm not talking about what he's saying (as any corporate hot shot would spin it like it's hot), but it's his overall strategy ever since the Wii that's been shoddy. Nintendo's a fantastic brand, so it's sad to see.

You have to understand that Iwata's board is full of dinosaurs who have to be convinced of every move he wants to make. Remember the interview with Dan Adelman a few weeks ago where he said that basically any one honcho at Nintendo has complete veto power over pretty much any move or proposal? Everything Iwata announces isn't something he personally cooked up in his office. He's presenting the things that everyone managed to agree on behind closed doors. It's not a good situation, but it doesn't make Iwata himself out of touch necessarily.

Here's the article and appropriate quote from Dan:

Adelman: Nintendo is not only a Japanese company, it is a Kyoto-based company. For people who aren’t familiar, Kyoto-based are to Japanese companies as Japanese companies are to US companies. They’re very traditional, and very focused on hierarchy and group decision making. Unfortunately, that creates a culture where everyone is an advisor and no one is a decision maker – but almost everyone has veto power.

Even Mr. Iwata is often loathe to make a decision that will alienate one of the executives in Japan, so to get anything done, it requires laying a lot of groundwork: talking to the different groups, securing their buy-in, and using that buy-in to get others on board. At the subsidiary level, this is even more pronounced, since people have to go through this process first at NOA or NOE (or sometimes both) and then all over again with headquarters. All of this is not necessarily a bad thing, though it can be very inefficient and time consuming. The biggest risk is that at any step in that process, if someone flat out says no, the proposal is as good as dead. So in general, bolder ideas don’t get through the process unless they originate at the top.

There are two other problems that come to mind. First, at the risk of sounding ageist, because of the hierarchical nature of Japanese companies, it winds up being that the most senior executives at the company cut their teeth during NES and Super NES days and do not really understand modern gaming, so adopting things like online gaming, account systems, friends lists, as well as understanding the rise of PC gaming has been very slow. Ideas often get shut down prematurely just because some people with the power to veto an idea simply don’t understand it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Really? Even the used ones?

There could well be stuff in the second hand shelves, I didn't look there. Basically new stock goes on shelves around the walls, the second hand stuff is in double-sided half-height shelves running down the middle of the shop.

I just noted, in terms of 'new stock' shelves around the walls, there is now Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, one shelf of 3DS, one shelf of accessories and one shelf of collectibles. Pre-christmas there was 3, maybe 4 shelves between Wii U and 3DS.

Is the Vita still on shelves at your store?

No, not that I saw. Certainly doesn't have a 'banner'. It's possible that there's still vita stuff in the bottom half of one of the PS shelves - that's where it was at one point before - but can't say that for sure now.

Pociask

Seems very Japanese oriented, not surprising as it was an interview with a Japanese publication, buy Iwata does generally seem to forget that there is a market outside the far east.

The Japanese console market is, for all intents and purposes, dead, so surely it makes sense to concentrate on software for western audiences? I dunno. The lineup for 2015 looks godly though.

You are right, of course, but the crazy thing is that in the very same interview (this is in the OP, but it bears repeating), you've got Iwata stating:
On the other hand, a majority of gamers in Europe and the U.S. still connect their consoles to TVs and play them on a bigger screen. In the global video game market, game titles for consoles are still dominant, and that market is much larger.
So Iwata admits that most of their console customers are not in glorious Japan, and that the much larger market is in Europe and America. But when the immediate follow up question is, how will you shore up the console (not handheld) market, Iwata comes up with:
Newer consoles are equipped with a function to process micropayments using Suica electronic money cards [in Japan]
WTF? And then he talks about the 3DS some more? There's tight-lipped about future plans, and then there's completely clueless.

I would agree with the Adelman quote.

LOL I don’t know where to start with some of this.

The Wii U gamepad is in no way at all comparable to VR, AT ALL. I have seen some of the movement you can get for it (Looking at different angles from tilting etc) but to even compare it to VR is crazy. VR is the total immersion of your vision into a new world, enough to trick your brain into thinking you are there, not looking at a tablet that has a cool gyroscopic feature.

The comparison to Move etc. is pretty short sighted. Eyetoy was a success as far as Sony are concerned I believe, it may not have set the world on fire but it was very popular at the time, especially in Europe. As for the Move, that sold quite a fair amount of units and had support of 126 games. Also, the ability to use it with the PS4 camera and Move controls makes it a great start to having a control set up ready for VR. Finally, Sony have said that they see the Morpheus as a new platform, yes it might require the PS4 to function but the amount of effort they are putting into this will be comparable to releasing a new console.

Price – This wont be as much of an issue as you seem to think it will be. There are currently 20 million people who own a PS4 and thus able to use the Morpheus. By the time it actually comes out that number could be at 30 million+. Sony also realise that price will be an issue and will attempt to price it as fairly as possible to gain as many people as possible. Also, as with the PS4 it will be the hardcore adopters who pick it up first which will give them the time and money needed to improve on the internal design and most likely get better cost reduction for parts etc.

To keep comparing Morpheus, the first console VR system to Wii-motes is just short sighted and laughable. One was a fun and unique control method that didn’t suit all games but worked really well with others. VR is a complete game changer that will be the equivalent of going from playing on an Atari to a modern day console. The difference it will give in immersion is something that has never been done before and will be something that many people will want to own. You think the novelty of waving your arms around was compelling? Imagine what it will be like when people can step into other worlds, experience things with such immersion that they could never do in real life, have a whole new perspective on what they thought ‘gaming’ could be. And that’s not even including all the non gaming applications that Sony will be tackling too such as the Mars Surface virtual tour from NASA.

The VR nay-sayers are more delusional than the people who think XBO sales are going to overtake PS4, and that’s saying something.

Its jimi_dini ignore him. He will never respond to a comment. In a bloodborne thread he attacked Miyazaki and blamed him for Dark souls 2 and as president of FROM he should have intervened and made the game better .

and better yet he didn't know he was made president after the game came out after another user corrected him. He never came back to the argument he created in that thread.

Oh and better yet he called everyone who played the alpha as part of Marketing hype

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148028027

People laughed when I said the 3DS and Wii U screens should be multi-touch. Laughed.

So much wasted potential.

Kinect and the GH instruments all sold tens of millions of copies at $100-$150. Wii Fit sold over 30 million at $100. These endeavors garnered gobs of profit. I'm sure Sony would be happy with 25 million Morpheus sold by the end of the generation, as long as they aren't sold at a loss. The "support" argument has rarely made sense. VR is not a genre in the traditional sense. Normal games can be patched to offer VR support without changing the way they play. Future games can be designed with VR options that can be toggled on or off. Given that even indie developers are making games with Oculus Rift support, I'm guessing it's going to be more common than not over the next 5 years.

We don't know what the market for VR is yet. If it becomes a must-have experience, it won't matter if it's $499, people will buy it. Which reminds me, Apple should totally make a VR headset.

kcxiv

Nintendo needs to HD alot of their old games. That would help so much. I know i'd be all over quite a few games if they HD them. I missed the whole damn Wii generation.

I would agree with the Adelman quote.

Its jimi_dini ignore him. He will never respond to a comment. In a bloodborne thread he attacked Miyazaki and blamed him for Dark souls 2 and as president of FROM he should have intervened and made the game better .

and better yet he didn't know he was made president after the game came out after another user corrected him. He never came back to the argument he created in that thread.

Oh and better yet he called everyone who played the alpha as part of Marketing hype

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148028027
LOL Fair enough, wasnt a name that stood out to me and it was one of those posts that i just had to reply to because it was hurting my brain to read the 'logic' involved.

Scrawnton

I can't smartphone games on the 3ds being at all successful. I'd love to be wrong, as I'll always being in Nintendo's corner but...
Smartphone games are mostly shitty, at least to me - I only play them from time to time due to it being so convenient. Putting them on the 3ds erases that convenience.

The opposite is true. Most Japanese smart phone games are actually good but it's the F2P model that ruins them to me.

A full game for 3ds made out of Terra Battles concept could be an amazing game.

Pikma

Banned
I'm not talking about what he's saying (as any corporate hot shot would spin it like it's hot), but it's his overall strategy ever since the Wii that's been shoddy. Nintendo's a fantastic brand, so it's sad to see.
Ever since the Wii? Really?

Just seems like Nintendo will dabble lightly in different areas, and weather the storm with the Wii U until it's successor. I hope the next console and handheld are completely integrated with each other. I would like to see their next handheld offer off screen/remote play, with the ability to use it as a additional controller.

My feelings exactly. At this point, the best Nintendo can do is hang on with the Wii U and the New 3DS for a while and then bring something else in 2017. I'd love to see them looking inwards with their catalog, something like A Link Between Worlds to other games (Sunshine 2, Super Metroid 3) as well as reviving other franchises (Bomberman, Mega Man).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

I'm not sure how someone can first say VR won't be that big and then somehow big up the WiiU gamepad as a 'close to' experience and suggest WiiU's failure is ill tidings for VR. Thats some acrobatics I can barely follow.

The WiiU failed due to total third party abandonment and lack of any new exciting to consumers tech. At the same time WiiU was hitting shelves, Oculus DK1 was coming out for a reference point on 'exciting tech'.

People laughed when I said the 3DS and Wii U screens should be multi-touch. Laughed.

Its going to be pretty funny to see if Nintendo touts "Multi Touch!!" as a feature on their next handheld. Can you imagine? Also this is why I feel they should have targeted 720p with their new handheld because it makes the porting of smartphone content a simply process rather than contending with resolutions nobody outside of 3DS devs target anymore.

Afrodium

Banned
What's the point of bringing mobile games to the 3DS? I know it increases the library, but you're taking games from a platform almost everyone has and putting them on a much more niche device. Won't most 3DS owners already have a device that can play these games?

Oregano

I'm not sure it would have made a difference. The 3DS isn't missing out on Smartphone ports because of lack of multitouch.

Kinect and the GH instruments all sold tens of millions of copies at $100-$150. Wii Fit sold over 30 million at $100. These endeavors garnered gobs of profit. I'm sure Sony would be happy with 25 million Morpheus sold by the end of the generation, as long as they aren't sold at a loss. The "support" argument has rarely made sense. VR is not a genre in the traditional sense. Normal games can be patched to offer VR support without changing the way they play. Future games can be designed with VR options that can be toggled on or off. Given that even indie developers are making games with Oculus Rift support, I'm guessing it's going to be more common than not over the next 5 years.

We don't know what the market for VR is yet. If it becomes a must-have experience, it won't matter if it's $499, people will buy it. Which reminds me, Apple should totally make a VR headset.

I'm not a VR doubter but doesn't it have the exact same tradeoffs as 3D support? I can imagine some/a lot of devs skip it due to the performance hit.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thats exactly what I thought in the other thread. When he said they are bringing games to 3DS based on smartphone offerings, it really means games based on the smartphone title rather than the f2p pricing model.

georly

I'm actually ok with nintendo-spin-offs of popular mobile games. I think kirby would work well in a cut the rope game. You could use donkey kong (and the other kongs) shooting out of a barrel for angry birds. Mario already works well for an endless runner. They've already turned pokemon into match 3 games.

I dunno, what else do the kids play these days? What mobile game could have Zelda shoehorned into it? Infinity blade? Hmm, that might work better as a punch-out title.

morikaze

Banned
Just seems like Nintendo will dabble lightly in different areas, and weather the storm with the Wii U until it's successor. I hope the next console and handheld are completely integrated with each other. I would like to see their next handheld offer off screen/remote play, with the ability to use it as a additional controller.

This is the way for them. I hope the next console IS the next handheld with tv out. Give it a few years wait until maybe 2017 or 2018 and the timing will be just right.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Seeing the gap between Wii U and 3DS, or the number of Mario Kart owners on Wii, it's easy to say there's room for growth. Not at that price though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is the way for them. I hope the next console IS the next handheld with tv out. Give it a few years wait until maybe 2017 or 2018 and the timing will be just right.

The next handheld and home console are going to just be vessels for NintendOS games. Iwata has even said as much. This actually would work out quite well for the situation he describes, where console games sell better in the West and handheld games sell better in Japan. Developers can spend time and money just developing a game one time, and the Japanese can play it on the handheld while westerners play it on the home console.

VR?

Like Oculus Rift?

That is gonna bomba harder than Ouya.

You are aware that just about every big corporation out there is looking into jumping into VR right? Including Apple? It's gonna be huge. It makes the question of how nintendo will react to it all the more interesting as they've always seemed opposed to this sort of singular, isolated experience and bleeding edge tech

Yes, and so did 100+ million other people - making Wii the fastest selling console to date. I strongly doubt that VR will see similar mass-market penetration. At least not Morpheus, because it requires the purchase of two costly gaming products. Plus, I think Oculus has reach that Sony doesn't have.

I do like VR tech, and hope that it succeeds. I think it faces some tough, but not insurmountable, challenges in the mass market:

1) Price, as mentioned.
2) Looks. As shallow as it may seem, the headgear itself doesn't look appealing to wear. That's probably going to put a lot of people off.
3) Non-gaming uses. I think the promise of VR porn already answers a lot of that.

Scrawnton

I'm not big on the whole VR craze. I think it's too much of an extreme luxury that distracts from the real world too much. I'd hate it if all games were VR only and not on tvs or handhelds.

Yes, and so did 100+ million other people - making Wii the fastest selling console to date. I strongly doubt that VR will see similar mass-market penetration. At least not Morpheus, because it requires the purchase of two costly gaming products. Plus, I think Oculus has reach that Sony doesn't have.

I do like VR tech, and hope that it succeeds. I think it faces some tough, but not insurmountable, challenges in the mass market:

1) Price, as mentioned.
2) Looks. As shallow as it may seem, the headgear itself doesn't look appealing to wear. That's probably going to put a lot of people off.
3) Non-gaming uses. I think the promise of VR porn already answers a lot of that.
My point wasn’t that the Wii wasn’t successful with the Wiimote because it obviously was. What my point is that VR is going to be even bigger. Im not just talking about Morpheus but with things such as the Samsung Smartphone VR and Gear etc. Add that all up and VR will be bigger for sure.

Also, regarding Oculus. The thing they have going for them is being owned by Facebook, otherwise they have even bigger hurdles when it comes to getting people to buy a machine that is capable of running it. Most people don’t own PC’s that wil be good enough for what they apparently want for it but with the fixed hardward of a PS4 it’s a much simpler solution for someone who wants to buy something and play it there and then for less money.

StevieP

Banned
^
I'm sure people are going to be rushing out to spend $599 dollar console bundles. History has proven that, certainly.

Peltz

A lot of 3DS games are multiplatform with iOS, and there are a bunch of new exclusives like Final Fantasy Mevius.

The "New 3DS" hardware improvements seem an attempt to string out multiplatform ports to 3DS for longer and stall everything going smartphone exclusive.

Interesting stance. I never considered that.

LaneDS

^
I'm sure people are going to be rushing out to spend $599 dollar console bundles. History has proven that, certainly.

I'm not suggesting Nintendo should go anywhere near VR.

I am suggesting that VR will be a success, the Oculus Rift specifically, and to think it'll bomb harder than the Ouya is crazy. Just so we're clear. Feel free to serve up some crow in a few years if that turns out false.

jfoul

I think it would be cool to have a docking station that connects to the TV. You come home, set the handheld into the docking station, and play on the TV with wireless controllers synced to the dock.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
^

People did rush out to purchase $600 to $700 life changing media consumption devices however. And still do. VR is the next big thing in the same way smartphones/tablets were (and before that DVD Players which should ring a bell also), hence why every tech company is crushing to get in there early unlike what they allowed Apple to do. The war isn't for the living room, nor is it any longer for your jacket pocket: its for your face itself.

Nintendo is however happy to let the tech world go by and hope their hardware marketbase doesn't get further eroded by money going elsewhere. For decades later generations however, perhaps this will be how they first encounter Nintendo hardware:
2IpD4RM.jpg
"And it all happens just on the rectangle bit? Mad!"

Opiate

I think they'd rather profit than drive marketshare. They still (rightly) have to operate as the small guy competing against larger conglomerates in Sony and Microsoft.

Of course, they aren't profiting much either, so very little is working for them right now. The Wii U is a complete failure by almost any objective measure.

Opiate

I think VR is going to be much more popular everywhere but consoles. The history of peripherals on console are bad, 600+ dollar bundles are a very tough sell, and the non-gaming applications of VR are going to be large draw on mobile/PC in a way they won't be on consoles. Ultimately, as the tech matures, I feel VR will benefit mobile far more than it will benefit anything else.

I could be wrong, of course. We're all shooting in the dark here.

Draxal

What's the point of bringing mobile games to the 3DS? I know it increases the library, but you're taking games from a platform almost everyone has and putting them on a much more niche device. Won't most 3DS owners already have a device that can play these games?

If some P&D fans were to correct me if I"m wrong, but it looks likes Z is pretty different from traditional P&D, no paid gatcha and no continuous patches adding new units/content.

I think VR is going to be much more popular everywhere but consoles. The history of peripherals on console are bad, 600+ dollar bundles are a very tough sell, and the non-gaming applications of VR are going to be large draw on mobile/PC in a way they won't be on consoles. Ultimately, as the tech matures, I feel VR will benefit mobile far more than it will benefit anything else.

Totally agree that VR is best suited for the PC gaming enthusiast market.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's weird how Nintendo frowned on smartphone games before, and now wants to offer more of them.

Personally I don't see why anyone would want to purchase a smartphone game on their 3DS, when they can just get the same game for much less money (or even free), on the device that's with them at all times.

Raide

I think they'd rather profit than drive marketshare. They still (rightly) have to operate as the small guy competing against larger conglomerates in Sony and Microsoft.

Of course, they aren't profiting much either, so very little is working for them right now. The Wii U is a complete failure by almost any objective measure.

Seems to be a tricky spot for them. All companies want profit but the lower marketshare you have, the harder making a profit becomes.

I really do wonder if Nintendo will kill the Wii-U early to announce their new handheld plans or their new home console plans.

Occam

Sony definitely should provide PC drivers (Linux/Windows/Apple) for Project Morpheus, but looking at their past history, they probably won't. There aren't even official DS4 drivers, or are there?

Seems to be a tricky spot for them. All companies want profit but the lower marketshare you have, the harder making a profit becomes.

I really do wonder if Nintendo will kill the Wii-U early to announce their new handheld plans or their new home console plans.

nintendo aren't going to kill the wii u now that it's stopped losing them money.

StevieP

Banned
People did rush out to purchase $600 to $700 life changing media consumption devices however. And still do. VR is the next big thing in the same way smartphones/tablets were (and before that DVD Players which should ring a bell also), hence why every tech company is crushing to get in there early unlike what they allowed Apple to do. The war isn't for the living room, nor is it any longer for your jacket pocket: its for your face itself.

Nintendo is however happy to let the tech world go by and hope their hardware marketbase doesn't get further eroded by money going elsewhere. For decades later generations however, perhaps this will be how they first encounter Nintendo hardware:

"And it all happens just on the rectangle bit? Mad!"

Sorry but to the general consumer an iPad (or subsidized phone) is much, much more valuable than a game console.

Draxal

It's weird how Nintendo frowned on smartphone games before, and now wants to offer more of them.

Personally I don't see why anyone would want to purchase a smartphone game on their 3DS, when they can just get the same game for much less money (or even free), on the device that's with them at all times.

"""Free""". You mean gatcha gatcha gatcha gatcha.

mario_O

Yep. Angry Birds is 20 euros on the E-shop. Why would anyone buy that? I don't think Nintendo can compete with the prices on Android/iOS.

Raide

nintendo aren't going to kill the wii u now that it's stopped losing them money.

I guess we will see if they amount of games increases for the Wii-U, or slowly trickles down to Nintendo only projects...oh, thats already happened.

I really don't know where the Wii-U is heading but I don't see it suddenly getting massively popular. Maybe drag it out for a few more years and it will get a nice core user-base.

I think we can safely say that the WiiU peaked in 2014 and sales will either stay the same or decrease, i see no scenario outside of a pricecut where WiiU sales will actually go up.

Top Bottom