• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: Still room for growth for Wii U, Smartphone games on 3DS (Nikkei Interview)

Somnid

Truthfully, I was not aware of this. However, I still don't see how the addition of mobile games increases 3DS sales. I doubt many would buy one for those games.

At some level it's not about that, Nintendo gets money from software sales, hardware is just a facilitator. If they can make a million seller without too much effort that's great and pads their bottom line. Selling 3DSs is secondary.

Haunted

One of the three big manufacturers. Their console business in dire straits.

The CEO gets asked.

What are you doing to shore up your console business?

And this... this is his answer.

Newer consoles are equipped with a function to process micropayments using Suica electronic money cards [in Japan].

ayyyy

NathanS

VR will do well with corporations, university and other large organizations, and also do well with enthusiasts, I see it doing as well as google glasses with the average consumer.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
The thing is they might not sell systems individually but they fill out lineups. It's also important to note that typically software sales/licensing is where the platform holder makes the most money.

Sure, I get that. But I don't see how it pushes 3DS sales, except maaaaaaybe to a tiny number of edge case users.

Cipherr

People laughed when I said the 3DS and Wii U screens should be multi-touch. Laughed.

So much wasted potential.

I still laugh. Multi touch isn't and wouldn't save the Wii but would drive up the manufacturing cost, and the 3DS is in a space where it may have effected the design of a few games, but wouldn't have done much to spur the handhelds sales either.

When we are talking one of the most underperforming consoles of all time, and a handheld thats up against smartphones in an age where the Vita can't even get its foot in the door, I don't believe that something as miniscule as multitouch should be looked at as some sort of missed opportunity. It really wasn't.

MT didn't prevent them from getting Angry Birds and PvZ on their handheld... I just don't see it.

I still laugh. Multi touch isn't and wouldn't save the Wii but would drive up the manufacturing cost, and the 3DS is in a space where it may have effected the design of a few games, but wouldn't have done much to spur the handhelds sales either.

The whole thread is an exercise in armchair quarterbacking. Multi-touch wasn't a killer feature, but would have added to the cost of both devices significantly (both in manufacturer and dealing with inevitable end-user issues).

A unified handheld/console doesn't make sense because it puts at risk a popular and profitable product line and third parties are even less likely to make software. Because when Nintendo is already having trouble attracting third-parties to its devices, the exact thing it wants to do is increase the barriers to releasing software on either device.

I could go on and on, but I really just want to ask people where they got their MBAs.

Iwata said:
For example, some Nintendo game consoles incorporate Mii, which creates a digital avatar to represent players. It would be fun for players to use their Mii characters as icons on social media. We are currently developing an application that will allow users to do that. The app will be announced around the time our full-year results are released.

...Hold me back.

tebunker

Banned
I miss Iwata - its a real shame we couldn't honor him, even just one day when he passed. I wonder who the fuckbag was that wouldn't let that fly.

Top Bottom