• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

phanphare

Banned
Nostalgia's so treacherous. One moment you're lost in a carnival of delights, with poignant childhood aromas, the flashing neon of puberty, all that sentimental candy-floss...

The next, it leads you somewhere you don't want to go...

...Somewhere dark and cold, filled with the damp, ambiguous shapes of thinks you'd hoped were forgotten.

Nostalgia can be a vile, repulsive little brute. Like children, I suppose. HAHA.

But can we live without it? Nostalgia is what our reason is based upon. If we can't face it, we deny reason itself!

Although, why not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality!

There is no sanity clause!

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of hype, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always Splatoon.

Splatoon is the emergency exit...

posted this before the Digital Event, it feels more relevant now lol

Jazz573

I had a thought/have a theory. What if, the Square Enix conference was partially responsible. There was the scheduling conflict and Square Enix agreed to delay an hour but Nintendo had to cut their Digital Event down so that there was no further clash.

As such, we ended up with the random Japanese Nintendo Direct on May 31st (seriously, that came out of nowhere) and its US equivalent on June 1st which contained many other titles including Chibi Robo and Bravely Second and caused them to shift the Earthbound and Smash stuff to the Sunday rather than having it all in one.

If Nintendo did have the last Direct's stuff and Earthbound/Smash in the Digital Event, then it would have been a solid showing. Not amazing, but definitely solid and would not have got this reaction.

I think it was Sony's conference which built up people's expectations too high for Nintendo.

seady

The problem is all the game that announced feel like some spin off of the main franchise and not a proper sequel.

Some Animal Crossing party game, Metroid blitz ball game, Zelda multiplayer game etc etc. WTF, are we getting Peach dress-up barbie game next?

It's never too late, as long as money and innovation is involved

With Nintendo, "innovation" tends to amount to "pray we can catch lightning in a bottle again." That's not a strategy.

Then they dip into their savings and contract something. Nintendo leave so many genres untapped and half-ass so many others. Get some arcade racers from Sega. Get something horror from Capcom. Or hire on some of that overlooked indie talent.

I heard this sort of thing a lot with Vita too, and I think you significantly overestimate the power of moneyhats when it comes to failed platforms. Marketing and even development costs are a lot easier to account for than opportunity cost.

JoeM86

I think it was Sony's conference which built up people's expectations too high for Nintendo.

Maybe a combination of the two. But hey, just a theory I had which sort of fits. That Nintendo Direct two weeks ago came out of nowhere and including its contents would have really made this a bit better.

The fact that the reaction was so bad that Iwata was forced to respond is a good thing.

Goddamm what the hell was he thinking?

This, im really glad that Iwata acted fast and wrote a tweet. Is the right thing he had to do right now.
Following it with a direct next month were he is sorry and explaining why it happened and how they are going to fix the situtuation will be the best course of action.

Also cancel metroid thingy. Next Level games, nor metroid, deserve that game to exist.
If they release that shit as it is, it will be the hardest bomb nintendo ever had.
Or retool it into something presentable, as a Metroid lore fan, I dont mind a game about the galactic federation (in fact, it could be fanatstic if done right), but miis, shitty missions and a football minigame was not the right way to do it. Its a 2016 game, so they can still do it.

Im not an animal crossing fan but, even if that shit is not going to harm the franchise in general (metroid shit could), they need to cancel it also. Make a spin off with amiibos of animal crossing if you want, but do not fucking make a party game.

The fact that they basically said fuck you to there long time fans with that excuse for a metroid title and teasing us with a console animal crossing only to reveal its a board game was enough to piss me off and show me how little of a shit they give about their fans.

What if, the Square Enix conference was partially responsible. There was the scheduling conflict and Square Enix agreed to delay an hour but Nintendo had to cut their Digital Event down so that there was no further clash

So, basically, it's Square's fault that Nintendo had a bad showing?

I dunno, Serebii... you're not exactly unbiased here... -_O

But I have yet to see any other reasonable arguments beyond "lol that wuz bad, yo", so I guess we'll have to accept this as canon. -o-

I had a thought/have a theory. What if, the Square Enix conference was partially responsible. There was the scheduling conflict and Square Enix agreed to delay an hour but what if Nintendo had to cut their Digital Event down so that there was no further clash.

As such, we ended up with the random Japanese Nintendo Direct on May 31st (seriously, that came out of nowhere) and its US equivalent on June 1st which contained many other titles including Chibi Robo and Bravely Second and caused them to shift the Earthbound and maybe the Smash stuff to the Sunday rather than having it all in one.

If Nintendo did have the last Direct's stuff and Earthbound/Smash in the Digital Event, then it would have been a solid showing. Not amazing, but definitely solid and would not have got this reaction.

I could see this being the case. Let's just hope the damage control was prepared in advance as I can't believe the Nintendo that brought us last year's Digital Event thought that this was going to be equally as good.

Red Devil

This works especially well if you ignore the impressive library already avaiable on the Wii U. But i guess everyone is in fanboy mode today. Bad E3 suddenly erases all avaiable games from existence, They should have shown a cgi trailer for 2019 to make everyone happy instead. ^^

The NES was such a stinker mane.
/s

Malus

Exactly. This is what I don't get when people are saying that reactions are unreasonable. Some have been over the top, yes, this still wasn't as bad as E3 '08 but was certainly as bad as '12. The Wii U has a great library if Nintendo games are your thing. But this has been over 2 and a half years, whereas even the fucking Wii had 5 years of decent support even if it did thin out towards the end. And here we are at the halfway point with little left.

Eh the Wii had plenty of droughts, but yeah Wii U will almost certainly have a shorter lifespan.

Toxi

Banned
I see people applauding the presentation. Are they serious? The muppets stuff was nice, but the masturbatory Mario shit at the end was horrible.

Im going to bed, when I wake up I realise this was all a bad dream. Tomorrow is tuesday and Nintendo is going to show so many great games at their Digital Events!! Cant wait!!!!!!

I have zero interest in Final Fantasy VII, zero interest in Shenmue III, meager interest in The Last Guardian, and I thought Nintendo's presser was atrocious. Nintendo has only themselves to blame for the negative reception.

sensui-tomo

So did anything get announced for N3ds or did i buy a stupid upgrade for only 1 exclusive game and some minor games getting boosts out of it?
At the moment its as supported as the ps/vita tv

Jazz573

You've posted this like five times. I'm glad you enjoyed their press conference. Many people didn't. And that's perfectly fine. At least try to understand our points of view instead of dismissing us for not being "true" Nintendo fans or what have you.

I understand your point of view, and I definitely was not dismissing you, and I honestly find it kind of offensive you would suggest I am.

Do you think most fans were satisfied? Are you oblivious to how upset many fans seem to be? Not just on GAF, but Twitter, reddit, and various other forums.

No I don't. I'm not oblivious to them, I just don't agree.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Retro teased shit all last week.. and hasn't presented yet. Maybe there's more
This sounds like when you're a kid, and you've opened all of your Christmas presents, and you still have some completely irrational hope that a long-lost relative will show up with another gift, or you'll find one stashed in a secret hiding place or something. ;)

JoeM86

So, basically, it's Square's fault that Nintendo had a bad showing?

I dunno, Serebii... you're not exactly unbiased here... -_O

But I have yet to see any other reasonable arguments beyond "lol that wuz bad, yo", so I guess we'll have to accept this as canon. -o-

Maybe I worded that wrong. I'll reword it. I'm just theorising that it could be the reason for the random Direct we had and the belief that the contents of that Direct would have improved the Digital Event but would have caused another schedule conflict.

Just a theory anyway. The random Direct came from nowhere and had reveals that could have easily been in this and improved the general quality of it.

Then they dip into their savings and contract something. Nintendo leave so many genres untapped and half-ass so many others. Get some arcade racers from Sega. Get something horror from Capcom. Or hire on some of that overlooked indie talent.

Instead they seem to squander their resources on silly phone-style spinoffs and an endless parade of 2D platformers.

They can turn it around. They just need to stop being so damned dense.

Yes, where are these games? As stated above, there is a lot they could do with untapped genres, or old franchises. Instead we get AC Amiibo board game crap.

They've done that w/ games like Bayonetta and Devil's Third, where it makes financial sense. Do you realize how much Sony/MS pay companies like Take 2 and Activision just for exclusive DLC these days? To moneyhat an exclusive AAA title is outrageous now, and the audience isn't there anyway w/out better graphics/online.

monlo

This sounds like when you're a kid, and you've opened all of your Christmas presents, and you still have some completely irrational hope that a long-lost relative will show up with another gift, or you'll find one stashed in a secret hiding place or something. ;)

ya I know. I mean, they do have a few days more to the treehouse... so it IS possible

entremet

I have zero interest in Final Fantasy VII, zero interest in Shenmue III, meager interest in The Last Guardian, and I thought Nintendo's presser was atrocious. Nintendo has only themselves to blame for the negative reception.

Given the meager performance of the Wii U and the 3DS being near its end of life, what would have satisfied you?

Just curious.

I thought the conference sucked to, but that was made obvious to me when Iwata mentioned no Zelda, no NX, no mobile.

xaszatm

Banned
Oh come on, they lack any actual heavy hitters for Winter.

OK, solid as in we are finally starting to see a steady stream of games from Nintendo (though I'd argue Yoshi's Wolly World, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Zero (once again as the only person in existence who liked the game), and Pokemon Super Mystery Dunegon are all solid winter Wii U titles). The point of the matter is that Nintendo getting into a good "grove" in HD development, similiar to how PS3 had a horrible start but slowly got into a grove that is finally paying off here on the PS4.

Yup. To me, they should have announced what people had to expect (in that it wouldn't be these huge deal games), Show some Virtual Console stuff too.

Fun video just really hope they realized how little they actually showed that people could get excited about. Hope they come back with their fun quirky in between stuff, the dev interviews were interesting and I love them, don't know if its good for this type of thing or after it though.

Got my Xenoblade release date but sadly everything else was fairly well known or in the case of star fox kinda coated.

Draxal

Given the meager performance of the Wii U and the 3DS being near its end of life, what would have satisfied you?

Just curious.

I thought the conference sucked to, but that was made obvious to me when Iwata mentioned no Zelda, no NX, no mobile.

For me personally, I would have hded remastered Galaxy 1/2.

Just curious.

He should have said no anything worth our time.

I expect that Nintendo will try to get that "audience" with the NX, but I would be amazed if they were so tone deaf as to try to make it the focus like they did with the Wii and Wii U.

Assuming your talking about the Wii/DS-audience...I don't understand why you or anybody with the same mindset thinks that the aforementioned audience was the primary focus of the Wii U when Nintendo was actively promoting software like Alien:CM, Batman, and Darksiders along side stuff like NSMB and Nintendo Land while also showing off a machine that could run PS3/360-style games with what is basically a giant traditional gaming controller.
If anything focusing on two distinct audiences/markets with their jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none branding, marketing, software and 3rd party strategy is one of the big reasons why the WiiU was (and still is) so unappealing in comparison to both the incredibly focused young male-centric PS4 and the console's own incredibly focused youth/family/casual centric ancestor the Wii.

I mean surely you understand, past the fact that the dedicated portable gaming market is being displaced, why Nintendo is making strides into the mobile market?
It's a vast and active software ecosystem filled with colorful simple arcadey gameplay-focused cartoon games (Like NSMB, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc.) that appeal to kids, adults past 35/parents, and women.
I understand that this is a gaming enthusiast forum so it probably sucks to hear for a good number of you, but Nintendo focusing on you is absurdly detrimental to their business.
If the N64/NGC/WiiU and even the 3DS haven't gotten this through anybody skulls at this point in time...I don't know what will.

Nah I'm not saying they're doomed, but they are making continually bad decisions in an increasingly crowded market where their games are continually satisfying a slimmer and slimmer audience. That's not good business and all the cash in the world won't float a bad model for much longer.

Mobile games are going to definitely help shore up a much larger market for them, and there's also the QoL stuff to please all the Wii Fit/Wii Sports casuals they lost with the Wii U. If their gaming market ever does get to a whisper of a margin, they can certainly dump traditional gaming for either of these new frontiers.

Let's not forget that the kids who grew up with the NES and SNES and may have graduated to the PlayStation are now having kids of their own, and a lot of these kids are reaching gaming age. I doubt many of them are going to sit their 7-8 year old in front of Call of Duty, but Mario? No doubt. Hell, I fully plan to make my son or daughter their own level in Mario Maker for their birthday.

The gaming industry is cyclical. Nintendo was once in control, it went to Sony, it went back to Nintendo, and now back to Sony. It only takes one game, one thing to change everything. And to look forward and say "Nah, Nintendo is done" is looking back on 20 years of the exact same opinion, quoted ad nauseum by posters, journalists, and analysts, and every single one of them, every single time it's been said, they've been wrong.

Was I disappointed by today's showing? Of course I was! But that doesn't mean I'm not going to play these games. The gaming industry has evolved more in the last 3-5 years than it has in the 30 before it, and everyone is changing. Nintendo is just changing in a different way than all the others. There's nothing wrong with that, but because it's different, it must be stupid and lead to disaster!

Also it's fun to pick on Nintendo's anti-social Asperger's fanboy refuse, I guess. So as I sit here, go ahead and lay into me. I'll take all of it for everyone. Call me the...Nintendo Fanboy Defense....Person. Yeah.

brinstar

I think if they combined the Smash direct and other mini-direct announcements into this one and had like *one* more Wii U title to show off they would've been fine. But spacing everything out created the perception that they had more new stuff to show today imo.

With that said I'm only disappointed from an E3 vid-watching perspective. The games coming out this fall/winter are more than ample for me, personally.

Assuming your talking about the Wii/DS-audience...I don't understand why you or anybody with the same mindset thinks that the aforementioned audience was the primary focus of the Wii U when Nintendo was actively promoting software like Alien:CM, Batman, and Darksiders along side stuff like NSMB and Nintendo Land while also showing off a machine that could run PS3/360-style games with what is basically a giant traditional gaming controller.
If anything focusing on two distinct audiences/markets with their jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none branding, marketing, software and 3rd party strategy is one of the big reasons why the WiiU was (and still is) so unappealing in comparison to both the incredibly focused young male-centric PS4 and the console's own incredibly focused youth/family/casual centric ancestor the Wii.

I mean surely you understand, past the fact that the dedicated portable gaming market is being displaced, why Nintendo is making strides into the mobile market?
It's a software ecosystem filled with colorful simple arcadey gameplay-focused cartoon games (Like NSMB, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc.) that appeal to kids, adults past 35/parents, and women.
I understand that this is a gaming enthusiast forum so it probably sucks to hear for a good number of you, but Nintendo focusing on you is absurdly detrimental to their business.
If the N64/NGC/WiiU and even the 3DS haven't gotten this through anybody skulls at this point in time...I don't know what will.

You cite Nintendo Land, except that it was a game designed to be the Wii Sports of Wii U. You also seem to be going back-and-forth, going from "Wii U isn't made for that type of gamer" to "Wii U isn't made for gamers".

Further, you have no idea what my stance on consoles is, and yet you presume to think I'm some ignorant gamer who sees things only in my gamer lens. I'm looking at it in the sense that a lot of elements of the Wii U were designed to appeal to casual gaming (such as the whole idea of not being able to use the TV, which is more prevalent in Japan than the US). In general, the casual gaming audience is not on Nintendo's consoles, Nintendo doesn't provide reason for them to do that when they have Facebook or mobile phones to play games on. This is why they're going to mobile, they're following the audience.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think the big issue is E3 is traditionally used for building hype for the future of the console- last year Nintendo did a good job with that IMO.

The 2015 lineup isn't bad IMO, but there was a virtual lack of any future projects to get excited about.

That could mean it was simply Nintendo's strategy this year, or, more likely IMO, most of the future projects are for the NX.

It could be worse though, it could be all future projects are for mobile!

Petrae

Nintendo had me at least considering a WiiU after its Digital Event last year. After today's event, I'm not considering it at all.

We knew that Hyrule Warriors was coming to 3DS, and honestly? That was really one of the main reasons that I had considered a WiiU-- but no longer have to buy a new console just to play it. That's been the problem with 3DS and WiiU for me; I could spend $300 on a new box to play Mario Kart, Smash, and Hyrule Warriors... or I could just buy the games for my 3DS instead.

StarFox Zero did little for me with the ship transformations. Tennis, to me, isn't Camelot's strongest sport... and Mario Tennis on WiiU didn't do a whole lot for me after playing the 3DS version. Super Mario Maker, much like LittleBigPlanet, doesn't appeal to me because of the creation-first focus; I don't give two shits about creating levels. The Yoshi game was a bit more appealing, but nothing I couldn't do without. I waited at the end for one big Mario surprise that was a more traditional game... and got trolled by a music montage.

Name-dropping NX, after assurances that it wouldn't be a thing at this year's show, was a poor decision. Why would I drop three bills on a platform that possibly could potentially see an early retirement? If NX is the future, there's less risk in just waiting to see what it is and holding off on buying WiiU.

It wasn't the worst event ever, but it harmed Nintendo by steering me away from WiiU as a potential consumer, instead of convincing me that I shouldn't wait any longer to buy in. Meanwhile, Microsoft got me seriously thinking about buying XBO (for the first time since it was unveiled) and Sony created enough excitement with its announcements and trailers to make me feel good that I got a PS4 earlier this year.

Nintendo desperately, desperately needs some fresh, western eyes at the top of the pyramid.

Its clearly evident guys like Miyamoto etc still run the roost and his ground breaking ideas form decades ago just aint cutting it anymore. If they really think that Starfox is going to cut the mustard as the sole WiiU game for god knows how long... then you may as well pack it up now.

We have heard this same old excuse for THREE platforms in a row now:

Gamecube... er, wait for Wii - it'll come!
Wii..... Oh WiiU, thats where the development has gone!
And Now WiiU... NX, it'll all be NX!

They are in utter denial and now so far from left field of what their competitors (you know, the other 2 companies that you refuse to acknowledge?) that I am struggling to see how they are gonna come back.

Yep, Iwata needs to step down from his office and Miyamoto removed from manager position. They totally trainwrecked the company, keeps bring empty words about refreshment but are never serious about it, just wants to flee the heat away from them. Their management is very conservative, profit-centric, austerity-driven, unambitious and unappealing to modern market and third-parties. They restrict Nintendo audience to a selected IPs (mostly Mario) and a few genres, which reduces considerably the system range and mass market appeal, turning it into a niche company. No secret why 3DS isn't selling so well, Wii died prematurely and Wii U was a failure. They went a three years in a row into red and, was expected, at least, to them to change something. They had to start making mobile games (DeNa partnership) to please his shareholders (and Iwata's tenure, most likely) but, judging from this E3, there is no change and the same mistakes are still going on.

All that Iwata wants is to capitalize Nintendo the maximum and the easiest way he can. Don't expect him to invest into big budgets ambitious projects, online networks, hardware performance and third-parties partnerships and exclusives because he wants to do everything the cheapiest way it can for maximum profits. That's why he's so advocate of blue ocean strategy and adept of the "Nintendo can't compete" defeatist bullshit to support his views. He wants to centralise all the power and decision making all around himself, as well. He shut down Nintendo's entire western development division and stripped NoA and NoE autonomy to make them speak only at his request. His self nomination for NoA's CEO makes that clear. He stacked the board with many of his friend, so he's pretty much shielded from shareholder and internal pressure.

I hope the board of directors stops buying his nonsenses, realise he's full of shit and is driving Nintendo to a process of diminishing returns. Nintendo needs new blood who understands modern gaming.

I have an idea about the NX for some times now and maybe this conference furthered the idea in my mind
When they mentioned Transforming.

What if, NX is

Dual handheld and home console?

The Handheld gaming part

Kinda like the WiiU gamepad part but now you can take the offscreen gamepad controller with you as if it was a 3DS It would be a Bit bigger than a 3DS XL and a little bit smaller than the WiiU gamepad.

If they completely restructured the way the E shop and network works, so it's easier to buy, download and transfer games around the place, you could download games from the network to the home console and onto your handhelds SD cards to take with you (think like how you can have ps1 games on the vita and ps3)

The physical games would be on a Card like current DS games, there's card slot in the console and the handheld device. (Think how you can put vita cards in the vita tv and vita) all you do is pop the game out of the console, pop it in the back of the hand held and away you go.

The console

Slim console that takes cards that are like the 3Ds ones but high capacity, these can be taken and put in the hand held to take with you as explained above

The controllers now are basically a 3ds Crossed with the wiiU gamepad but newly NX designed, it also comes packed in with the WiiU Pro controller, which can control the entire O.S without the need for the handheld N.X part.

The system would be available to buy separately or together but only need need to buy the games once.
So if you buy the console (packed with a pro controller) and decide to buy the handheld later you already have the games and vice versa. Or you can just buy the big bundle of console and handheld in one package

Kind of in a weird way what the WiiU should have already been in my opinion.

I had an idea similar to this, except how it would be would be the handheld would be as you described and the console would look similar to the charging cradles. You put the console onto the cradle and it becomes the home console. HDMI out, LAN adapter spot, ect. The base would basically contain additional CPU/GPU components so that the graphics and stuff could be upressed, and possibly other things could be increased in console mode over handheld (draw distance, loading, resolution, ect)

The home console controller would basically be the pro controller equivalent and not have a screen. If they wanted to keep dual screen affects then it would have the cradle be similar to the 3DS one, and the home controller would be like the gamepad so that you have a dual screen handheld or a single screen controller and TV.

Single screen either way, handheld screen or TV, and it would have seamless off play and other things because you can remove the handheld component and continue playing.

That's how I envision a console that works as both a handheld and home console.

massoluk

Banned
I didn't think it was terrible (well it was mediocre), but the expectation also was too damn high coming from NWC announcments, Smash Directs, and Retro teasing shits. And especially coming after Sony's.

Top Bottom