• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams Star Wars: The Force Awakens Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shitty writing. Jar Jar was the most developed character in The Phantom Menace. Let that sink in for a minute.

It's amazing what decent writing can do. Having seen every MCU movie so far, I can honestly say that I haven't seen one that I've absolutely hated yet, or at the very least one that made me actually feel sorry for the actors involved.

It's very frustrating. I started watching The Clone Wars and Rebels and was shocked at how decent the acting and writing in them were. Everything from the performances and pacing felt organic in them. Moreover, the voice actors seemed comfortable in hyping new seasons when they'd be interviewed at Comic Con. That's a far cry from when the cast of the prequels would promote their films post Phantom Menace.

I know what I'm about to say deserves it's own post, but I feel that Disney could salvage the prequels going forward by remaking them into animated shows. Separate each of the films into 12-16 episode seasons once Star Wars Rebels wraps up. Instead of killing off Darth Maul in Phantom Menace, you could keep him alive until Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. Instead of starting off Anakin's story as a 9 year old, you could have him begin his journey in his late teens. You could eliminate Jar Jar Binks entirely, pretend he never exists, and instead focus on the rest of the characters, tone down on the political intrigue, or elaborate on the politics more competently. Instead of a Jedi Order that had to be stupid under Lucas' writing, you could have a Jedi Order that has more complexities to it, and a fallability that makes sense. I was always intrigued by the notion of the Jedi Order being so out of touch that they ended up playing a part in their own demise, similar to real life venerable institutions like the Catholic Church today. Basically, retool the material that did work to some extent in the prequels, and cut out the fat that didn't. So for example, you could depict Palpatine's capture at the end of Attack of the Clones episode 16, and have the Battle of Coruscant play out during the first 3 episodes of Revenge of the Sith.

Going forward, I have to imagine that it's in Disney's best efforts to produce decent Star Wars films going forward. Even though the prequel were box office earners, it's probably not going out on a limb to say that they did damage the brand for a sizable chunk of the movie going audience.

Damn it, Vanity Fair:

Umh7jCq.jpg

First thing I noticed.

Also, that interview is thread worthy

Nah, not really. IT's not much of an interview, honestly. He doesn't say shit he hasn't already said a thousand times prior.

It's just fertile loam from which another round of prequel fights will grow, with that nice seed of "I'm Jar Jar' planted smack in the center of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom