• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K. Rowling Under Fire for Casting Only Asian in Movie as Villainous Snake, Defends Decision

Nagini had a human form?

Where is that video with that one chick who looks like Boxxie pointing out that it's never enough for SJWs. No matter what you do, how much diversity you insert, it's never enough (I like the video because it uses a clip of someone complaining about a fat woman being casted but she is skinny fat and not fat fat. I like fat women and have no idea what the fuck she's talking about).
Of course because give him a finger, and he'll take an arm

Last edited:

sol_bad

Yes that is what people are asking for. You hit it right on the nose. Good job.

Thats sarcasm

I mean, how many new characters are in this film? How many chances of hiring a minority are there?
Isn't Zoe Kravitz in this too as a new role?

Last edited:
Isn't the entire point of this diversity and representation push that minorities can do anything and play any role? A minority villain is plenty diverse. Would it be better if all the villains were white people and the good guys minorities? Would it be better if for every bad guy, there's a good guy of the same ethnicity/gender/sexuality? That's some next level tokenism, completely rendering the effort of diverse characters pointless.

Azurro

Banned
Choosing to respond to criticism about a lack of diversity in your movies and responding by making the villain the diverse character just looks bad given the context. There is a long history of making minorities the villains in films and its something that alot of people are tired of seeing. They want minority actors in major starring roles not just as side characters or villains.

So minorities cannot ever be villains anymore, ever? And this is Harry Potter, you had an Asian girl as Harry's love interest, and now you have an Asian girl as a villain, there is no issue. You do know minorities are also people, right? People are complex.

Last edited:

Choosing to respond to criticism about a lack of diversity in your movies and responding by making the villain the diverse character just looks bad given the context. There is a long history of making minorities the villains in films and its something that alot of people are tired of seeing. They want minority actors in major starring roles not just as side characters or villains.

So would it haven't been better to not cast her at all if she was going to be a villain? By that logic can only white people be villains?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The point that seems to be overlooked here is that people asked for diversity and the response was to cast a minority as a villain. That's what people are mainly angry about.
Uh, I can't see this anywhere. People are mad mostly because she's just opened up a role by deciding that a character is actually a human, and it seems like a cheap and lazy way to get a minority in. I can also see people complaining that she's Korean and not Indonesian.
There is a long history of making minorities the villains in films and its something that alot of people are tired of seeing. They want minority actors in major starring roles not just as side characters or villains.
Again, where are you getting this from? As far as I remember, every single Marvel villain has been white, except Killmonger (which for obvious reasons doesn't count). The Star Wars villains are white. The DC villains have all been white. Hell, most of the death eaters were white, and the villain of the last Fantastic Beasts was white. I honestly can't remember the last movie I watched where the only minority was the villain. If anything, THAT'S the problem.

Last edited:
So all I can gather from this 'controversy' is that JK Rowling is so goddamn woke that she's come full circle to become a card-carrying member of the NSDAP.

Hahahaha suck it Josephine.

InferiorIcyCicada-size_restricted.gif

petran79

Banned
But Harry Potter and his school are the actual villains, maintaining British order. I am surprised at their reasoning for not figuring out.

If you want diversity, truly, that applies to good and bad. Heroes and villains. Positive and negative. That is what diversity is. That is what equality is. A lack of discrimination, favouritism and prejudice.
If you feel representation should be restricted only to positives then you are against equality and are in favour of discrimination.

No matter how dizzying the spin, how strong the chant, or how popular the hashtag.
There is no "it's about time".
There is no "reparations".
Those are self-indulgent contrivances to mask the prejudice as victim-hood. These are dishonest arguments.

It's incredibly simple:
You don't resolve prejudice by employing more prejudice.

Shifty

So TL;DR the people complaining about this are orders of magnitude less well-researched than the creator of the work in question.

What. A. Surprise.

Kenpachii

Kinda funny that her own fanbase of sjws is turning against her. Who would have though that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom