• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Reacher 2 in theaters October 21 2016 - starts shooting in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack-Reacher.jpg

Examiner
On Wednesday, Paramount announced that a sequel to 2012's "Jack Reacher" is set to be released on October 21, 2016. According to Deadline, the film will reunite Tom Cruise with his "Last Samurai" director Ed Zwick.

Jack Reacher is the main protagonist in a series of best-selling books from author Lee Child. After years of fighting for the freedom of others, ex-military investigator Reacher decided he wanted a little bit of that freedom himself, so he left the Army and decides to move around from one place to another throughout America. Though he's a guy who wants to be left alone, Jack Reacher is the guy to get when you want justice served. Jack Reacher doesn't care about the law, doesn't care about proof, but only cares about what's right.

Interview with director Edward Zwick

Previous rumors connected this film with the book Never Go Back

Former military cop Jack Reacher makes it all the way from snowbound South Dakota to his destination in northeastern Virginia, near Washington, D.C.: the headquarters of his old unit, the 110th MP. The old stone building is the closest thing to a home he ever had.

Reacher is there to meet—in person—the new commanding officer, Major Susan Turner, so far just a warm, intriguing voice on the phone.

But it isn’t Turner behind the CO’s desk. And Reacher is hit with two pieces of shocking news, one with serious criminal consequences, and one too personal to even think about.

When threatened, you can run or fight.

Reacher fights, aiming to find Turner and clear his name, barely a step ahead of the army, and the FBI, and the D.C. Metro police, and four unidentified thugs.

Combining an intricate puzzle of a plot and an exciting chase for truth and justice, Lee Child puts Reacher through his paces—and makes him question who he is, what he’s done, and the very future of his untethered life on the open road.

Elbow me in the face if old

Hey I worked on the first one!

Crew was a blast and Tom personally paid for a coffee cart/barista to be on set all day every day for the crew to get free drinks from.

Class act!

Its a shame it isn't shooting in Pittsburgh again :/

inky

Didn't watch the first one. Is it worth watching? I know it's Cruise but I heard it was pretty meh.

It's OK; watch it. You'll forget about it the next day.
Except for Rosamund Pike's cleavage, which I found distracting.

Cool! What did you do?

Back then I was just a Production Assistant. Since then I've moved onto working strictly in the camera dept. on commercials/tv shows/and movies.

This was one of my first gigs though while going through film school in Pittsburgh and it really taught me a lot about "set-tiquette" and whatnot that became invaluable later in my career.

Obrek

Banned
First movie was good and the source material is excellent. I love the books and as long as they stick to the style again I'm sure this will be a solid action flick as well.

Back then I was just a Production Assistant. Since then I've moved onto working strictly in the camera dept. on commercials/tv shows/and movies.

This was one of my first gigs though while going through film school in Pittsburgh and it really taught me a lot about "set-tiquette" and whatnot that became invaluable later in my career.
Nice! I'm going to start applying for film production jobs pretty soon and am always interested in reading what other GAFfers have to say. I just left school (secondary/high school), so I hope my chances of landing a job aren't too low!

Lothars

I've been reading all the Jack Reacher books and I really enjoy the character, I thought the first movie was okay nothing special but I look forward to this one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Love the books, and really enjoyed the first film. This franchise is perfect for movie adaptation, I'm glad they're giving it another shot.

Loving this adaptation so far. Trying my best to put the books out of my mind when they describe what a hulking beast reacher is. Cruise's approach is different.Can't fault the work that he's putting in, though.

Nice! I'm going to start applying for film production jobs pretty soon and am always interested in reading what other GAFfers have to say. I just left school (secondary/high school), so I hope my chances of landing a job aren't too low!

Honestly, go to college for it if the theory of film interests you. Otherwise, FUCK that shit. Its as simple as applying to PA on anything, being charismatic but also knowing your place, and simply being able to complete remedial tasks for various people. Once you get involved in the scene and start working regularly, start pursuing different departments. This mainly involves knowing when its appropriate to ask questions, and when to talk to people. Never be that guy that is always asking people "Hey please call me for work in the future!". Let your work ethic and personality do that for you, and people will call back.

Remember, to most people in the industry it is simply a trade job, much like plumbers, electricians, and woodworkers. Very few are actually PASSIONATE about the ART of filmmaking.

That was a very bare bones response, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Loving this adaptation so far. Trying my best to put the books out of my mind when they describe what a hulking beast reacher is. Cruise's approach is different.Can't fault the work that he's putting in, though.

Yeah, they would have to go with someone the size of The Rock if they went with the book description. I actually like the Cruise approach more since I can buy the smartass side of Reacher coming from him.

Honestly, go to college for it if the theory of film interests you. Otherwise, FUCK that shit. Its as simple as applying to PA on anything, being charismatic but also knowing your place, and simply being able to complete remedial tasks for various people. Once you get involved in the scene and start working regularly, start pursuing different departments. This mainly involves knowing when its appropriate to ask questions, and when to talk to people. Never be that guy that is always asking people "Hey please call me for work in the future!". Let your work ethic and personality do that for you, and people will call back.

Remember, to most people in the industry it is simply a trade job, much like plumbers, electricians, and woodworkers. Very few are actually PASSIONATE about the ART of filmmaking.

That was a very bare bones response, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
This response was actually very helpful. Thanks! :)

The first one wasn't remarkable outside of it being better than a lot of the lame, over the top action films that have come to define the decade. Still, Cruise was good in it and I think the sequel will probably be much improved. Glad to hear they're doing this.

in my reckless dreams, the series does well enough that they continue it after Tom Cruise loses interest (realistically, never as he seems to be immortal) and they recast the lead and make it a proper R-rated franchise.

and yes, I'm being serious, Idris Elba would be great in it. Not too many really great 6 foot plus and physically intimidating actors round these days, I think he's the best option.

Hey told us some anecdotes from the set, from your words Cruise was cool dude, not that we don't know it anyway :).

I wonder if Christopher McQuarrie is involved in this film, probably he is too busy working on the next M:I.

farisr

Didn't watch the first one. Is it worth watching? I know it's Cruise but I heard it was pretty meh.

Started off good, ending was pretty average. Some nice action and funny bits in between. I'd say it's worth a watch. And Tom Cruise is just fun to watch in these types of roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom