• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Tretton: Playable PS4 demos on E3 / consumer hands ons during the year

Agreed. Hopefully we see Killzone 3 and Uncharted 2 as well

InFamous 2 hopefully

I'm confused...

I disagree about Nintendo. Remember when everyone thought Nintendo had E3 in the bag last year ? They need way more than their Mario offerings for me after the past two years.

Well, Nintendo has confirmed that a new 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart and a new Super Smash will be shown at E3. 3D Mario is always amazing and same goes for Super Smash. Mario Kart may be outdated but it can still be some fun. We'll probably see more footage of Wind Waker HD and X too so that should be interesting.

Maybe by focusing on the potential bad news ?

I'm always focused on the bad but what you wrote is just silly, especially the Nintendo part. As for Sony that's also silly. You clearly have no idea how exchange rates work. We're complaining because it isn't 1:1, not because it is.

nib95

Banned
My worry is, if EvilLore does not take the proactive measure to ensure that the site doesn't crash, it will be even worse than what happened on Feb 20th.

Maybe something dynamic like Amazon's commercial hosting. No point spending a crap tonne of money for an influx in bandwidth usage that will only last a few days or weeks.

aganu

Can't watch the video. Any summaries, or was the OP basically it?
From the other thread:
Here's a transcript I made of the video for anyone who can't (or doesn't want to) watch it. Feel free to add it to the OP if you like:

Deirdre Bolton: Jack, you heard some of the criticism that Don just mentioned, some of the tweets I'm sure your team was following those--no console, no price, no precise release date. Why did Sony decide to have this event last night?

Jack Tretton: Well there's a big story to tell Deirdre, and we were trying to unveil the machine, we weren't trying to sell it to anybody. And if you're interested in buying it tomorrow, you can't have one. It's coming out Holiday 2013. There's a lot of the story still to tell, we wanted to focus on the games, and we wanted to talk to our gaming audience and there's a billion of them out there. And the gamers got it. And that's who we were talking to.

Deirdre Bolton: Okay, which almost makes me feel like you are doubling down on serving hardcore gamers, and I know you have some significant improvements. I mean, Don mentioned it--social, mobile--I mean people can start games on a smartphone, pick it up on the console, friends can finish each other's games, make videos of themselves playing the games, send it to each other-----is this enough A., to keep the hardcore gamers happy, it seems like, but B., it feels like you need to pick up a few (let's say more recreational) "lighter" gamers to have it really be a home run.

Jack Tretton: Well, the casual experience is going to be there, and it's already there on the PlayStation 3. We have free-to-play models, we have 99 cent games, but the real heat behind the gaming industry--behind the PlayStation consumer--is that dedicated gamer, and they're who we're speaking to, they're who we start with, and they get it. And that audience is growing. We've sold 30% more consoles this generation as opposed to the previous generation.

Deirdre Bolton: Jack, critics say that Sony has not understood that everything has moved online, and I'm assuming this is the social and mobile improvements [that] are in part an answer to that criticism, but are there enough hardcore gamers out there, to really make this successful, to hit all your metrics? And then what about the people that are playing on tablets and on smartphones? How much do you think you have to catch up?

Jack Tretton: I think those consumers are great, they're additive, they play those bite-size, free experiences, those five-minute experiences, and it demystifies gaming for them, and ultimately (hopefully) they move up the food chain to a dedicated console. But if you're a dedicated gamer who plays a console, you understand the difference between a tablet and smartphone experience, so I don't see them as a threat, I see them as being additive. But we recognize that our gamers are very communicative, they're using other devices, and we want to involve them in the PlayStation universe regardless of where they are, or what device they're using.

Deirdre Bolton: Jack, Sony took a little bit of heat with the PlayStation 3 with the pricing ($600) and especially [even now] Nintendo has the Wii U out for $300, so it's significantly cheaper. I know not all the games are the same, so there's a lot of arguments to be made between those two price points-----but PlayStation 4, can you launch something that costs $600 in this current environment?

Jack Tretton: Well, I really think the last 5 years for us has been talking to the development community and trying to build a machine for them that will give them the tools to create the greatest possible games. I think we showed a lot of that last night. We also spent five years listening to consumers finding out what they wanted, and we're very conscious of the price value equation. We're also proud of the fact that the PlayStation 3 is currently available for $249, so it's a marathon and not a sprint. But we pay close attention to the consumer needs and wants and the price value.

Deirdre Bolton: So would you say it would be closer to $300 than $600?

Jack Tretton: I'll say that we'll try to bring the best technology at the most affordable prices.

Deirdre Bolton: All right. Microsoft may (or may not) release a new version of the Xbox before you release the PlayStation 4. How worried would you be if that happens?

Jack Tretton: We've always had different competitors. We were in this space before Microsoft, and we may be in this space after Microsoft. We've seen competitors come and go. I think we're mindful of what they do, and quite frankly, we believe that anything that adds attention and success in the gaming industry is good for us. So we're aware of our competition, but we kinda march to our own strategy, and we're very confident that Holiday 2013 is a great time to bring out PlayStation 4.

Deirdre Bolton: Are people actually going to be able to get their hands on it before November?

Jack Tretton: Oh people will have opportunities to play it enough. The thing that I just wanted to emphasize--again--we're not trying to sell it tomorrow. There will be multiple unveils. Our biggest industry event is E3 coming up in June, and there will be a lot of playable content on the floor. It's not a consumer show, but consumers will get their opportunities to play before it ships.

Deirdre Bolton: All right. So at least some people will be able to tryout some of the new features.

Jack Tretton: 'Most' people will. Believe me, we know who our consumers are, and we're going to get the machines in their hands.

lantus

I like Tretton, maybe not as much as I like Kaz, but he's definitely a good front man for PlayStation I think. Good interview too, man the focus they seem to have now has me very excited they have some really great things in store for us. :)

I doubt we'll (scandinavians) get our hands on it before launch. There were no PS3 demo stations before the launch of the PS3, so i guess that'll be the case this time too.

Well to be fair we did get a PS Vita demo at Gamex (A little game expo in Sweden) in November 2011 and it did launch in Feb 2012. So going by that I'm hoping the PS4 will show up at Gamex this year.

I doubt we'll (scandinavians) get our hands on it before launch. There were no PS3 demo stations before the launch of the PS3, so i guess that'll be the case this time too.

Finland had hands on stations in winter 2006 at electronics expo. Resistance and Motorstorm were playable.

I just want to get my hands on the controller. That's my only reservation about the PS4 at this point (and I think the controller looks like it'll be pretty nice too...).

bill0527

- Xbox Infity reveal end of April
- E3: Nintendo 1st party will drop some bombs
- E3: new PS4 games/features
- E3: new Xbox games/features

How will we survive all of this goodness?

We know this forum isn't going to survive it.

Wonder if Evilore will shut off the OT and try to keep GAF going with bare minimum features.

Gonna be the biggest E3 of all time.

Soriku

PlayStation Meeting alone killed GAF. Expect GAF to implode upon itself during E3.

I'm looking forward to reading the news and reactions...on other sites lolz. Seriously GAF won't survive this shit. Would like to be proved wrong though.

We know this forum isn't going to survive it.

Wonder if Evilore will shut off the OT and try to keep GAF going with bare minimum features.

Gonna be the biggest E3 of all time.

Panic mode Nintendo, Aggressive Sony and hopefully Hungry Microsoft. There will be blood...

Takuya

Banned
GAF will definitely go down during E3, not much you can do when hundreds of thousands of people flock and hit F5 every 2 seconds.

Yawnier

Banned
Looking like this E3 is going to blow last years straight out of the water which wouldn't take a whole lot in the first place anyways.

I'm expecting the next Uncharted to be revealed at E3 along with GT6... and a bunch of new IP's. Games like Killzone SF, Driveclub, and Knack will be playable.

btkadams

Agreed. Hopefully we see Killzone 3 and Uncharted 2 as well

KuGsj.gif

GamesCom will most likely have a lot of hands on units for consumers.

Well you never know for certain. One would have guessed the same for Wii U last year, but Nintendo snubbed us.

But Sony always took GC quite serious. They also had supervised Vita hands on in a booth 2 years ago.

Sounds like an early bird ticket for the Euro Gamer Expo this year could be a good idea, when Sony had the Vita there they could queue jump and try it out. Hopefully both PS4 and xbox whatever is going to be at the show.

DerZuhälter;48246914 said:
Well you never know for certain. One would have guessed the same for Wii U last year, but Nintendo snubbed us.

But Sony always took GC quite serious. They also had supervised Vita hands on in a booth 2 years ago.

Nothing short of natural disaster would prevent Sony for setting up stations at GC. They are by far the biggest presence of the big 3 over there. Now that Nintendo is joining GC again to push Wii U and perhaps even MS with 720 Sony can't afford not to put PS4 in there. The worst case scenario would be too few stations.

With the arcitechture of PS4 being so simple I'd guess they would have quite a few demo stations ready at August if they are releasing the console in few months after that in the US at least.

so no consumer hands on at the show is what he's saying

arguably the most important time

I think he is saying that the content will be available for hands-on at E3 but that E3 itself is not designed for consumers so Sony will be making sure that the actual gaming public will get their chance through other venues.

Derrick01

Banned
My question is, how will NeoGAF survive the goodness? If "64 Xeon cores, 124 GB RAM and worldwide distributed CDN" weren't enough to handle the PS4 reveal, E3 will MURDER the servers.

Evilore said something like they ran into critical hardware failure at the worst time, basically as the event was starting, and that resulted in the downtime.

Top Bottom