• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jagged Alliance 3 Launches on July 14th for PC, Says THQ Nordic

fermcr

"Jagged Alliance 3 finally has a release date, nearly two years after the game's announcement. The new installment in the turn-based tactics franchise will be available on PC starting July 14th, priced at €44.99. Publisher THQ Nordic also confirmed that pre-orders of the limited Tactical Edition (priced at €129.99) are now available here..."

https://wccftech.com/jagged-alliance-3-launches-on-july-14th-for-pc-says-thq-nordic/

Jagged-Alliance-3-Impressions-01-Header-1030x579.jpg.webp

John Bilbo

Has the marketing been almost non-existent or am I living under a rock?

I am definitely interested, but I have to see the reviews first.

My only complaint is that the mercs are still the same level, Steroid is still a rookie level, etc.
This should be taking player a couple of years after JA2, so some of the lower level mercs should have been moved over to the vets and elites and some of the new ones should be created for this game.

Ron Mexico

I still have fond memories of the original JA. 2 was absolutely the better game but at that time there was nothing quite like the original. Unusually Ruthless Reuben still sticks out in my head to this day.

Will definitely check out the next iteration.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bro that trailer is cringe as FUCK.

The narrator, the ridiculous zoomer vibes. The mercenaries wearing longsleeves looking like they just left class in high school saying "year there's a good chance of me ehhhhh not missing".

What the fuck is this?

Just an update that this game is on-sale at 20% off, $36 instead of $45, if you pre-order on Steam. With Steam's refund policy it's a no brainer if you know you're at least interested.
Here are a couple of new update videos

Weapons

Mercs

Apparently there is a drop-in drop-out co-op mode where someone could join the host's game and take over control of mercs, which I wasn't aware of before.

KaiserBecks

Bro that trailer is cringe as FUCK.

The narrator, the ridiculous zoomer vibes. The mercenaries wearing longsleeves looking like they just left class in high school saying "year there's a good chance of me ehhhhh not missing".

What the fuck is this?
Ok Bro!
9 hours until release and no reviews up. This could be bad.
Steam says 25 hours for me :messenger_angry: There's one exclusive German review behind a paywall, but it's written by someone who also reviewed JA2 back then, he seems to have a lot of praise. There's also one review by techradar that got uploaded early by mistake. Techradar seems to have a problem with the games writing and overall tone. Which is a good sign if you're a fan of JA2. I think a lot of people will be "offended" or won't understand where JA drew its inspiration from.

graywolf323

B0xsUfs.png

First two reviews
definitely seems like the type of game that those of us who like it will love it and those who don’t won’t

with PC Gamer having given it an 81% though I feel good about my pre-purchase from Humble Bundle where I got 20% off on top of the 20% off thanks to my Choice membership

Last edited:

Denton

9/10 from Games.cz (probably biggest czech game site) - the guy says it is his favourite game in the series now, even over JA2.
Compares it even to Wasteland 3, in that there are lot of quests that player can choose to resolve in various ways.

Last edited:

Denton

9 on IGN

Hell even those curmudgeons at RPS like it..

Another 9 from some unknown (to me) but funnily named site

Man I am really glad this is both good, and reviewing good.

So based on the reviews I have seen, this game is for the hardcore, not for the casual, the game is tough, and more like a sim than a strategy game, throws at ton of different things at you, so it's not for the casual gamer, but hardcores will like it, or even love it.

Denton

So based on the reviews I have seen, this game is for the hardcore, not for the casual, the game is tough, and more like a sim than a strategy game, throws at ton of different things at you, so it's not for the casual gamer, but hardcores will like it, or even love it.
It's a mix of RPG, management sim and tactical turnbased strategy.
And I can't wait to play it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
with this, System Shock, and Age of Wonders 4, old PC gamers are eating good in 2023

Lux77

Great reviews for now, I'm getting it.
And in some its painfully obvious reviewer didn't play previous games or are not familiar with series.

Denton

Still want to see how controller support is implemented in detail, since I would prefer to play on TV.
But I can't fucking wait to play already. Even that hold ass modern games-hating Mack loves it:

Hudo

So it seems to review from good to very good. There are criticisms about the UI and general lack of QoL features w.r.t to inventory management but there are hopes that these issues might get patched up.
GameStar gave it a 89/100. But they also gave Dawn of War 3 a 86/100. So they are very hit or miss with their reviews nowadays.
Gamersglobal gave it a 8.0/10, which I think is probably more realistic.
PCGames have a review-in-progress but are fairly positive so far.
Eurogamer.de gave it a 4/5

Everyone generally shares the same sentiment, though: It's the best Jagged Alliance since 2.

Last edited:

Denton

3 hours in, enjoying it. Controller is playable if clunky. But it feels like a Jagged Alliance game and has that "one more thing..." factor going for it.

Btw if you are getting subpar performance, make sure to set your resolution percentage correctly. If you enable DLSS and leave it and 100%, you will be actually supersampling. So set it to 67% or whatever you want.
And reflections on ultra are also fps killer, and completely unnecessary.

The Stig

love this game so far (just started, love xcom)

can someone please explain to me how to do a stealth kill with a knife while in stealth mode. i just cant quite do it

love this game so far (just started, love xcom)

can someone please explain to me how to do a stealth kill with a knife while in stealth mode. i just cant quite do it
You have to have the knife selected (like switch weapons with the arrows) then select the stealth attack first and it makes you select the enemy you want to attack then once you get close enough your guy will automatically attack. It's a little clunky at first but actually works ok and I normally manage to take out 3 or 4 guys before things kick off.

Anyhow I'm really enjoying this. I was worried it would be super streamlined like modern reboots often seem to be but it certainly feels like a JA game. Looting and stuff can be a little clunky as you have to have the mouse exactly in the right place but otherwise it plays really well.

I wasn't sure about the humour and how well it would age but I'm actually really enjoying the 80s cheese.

Making good progress through the second island and once you get the hang of stealth to setup properly before combat you can demolish much larger groups.

Barry is my MVP so far just blowing shit up. Vikky with a modded weapon is super strong too.

If you've never played a JA game before make sure you figure out how to make a custom character using the IMP as you don't have to pay them every 14 days and you can build them how you want them. I've just got mine as a min maxed marksman and let the other mercs handle the non combat skills.

I see a lot of people complaining about performance with DLSS but make sure you change the render scale too otherwise you are just using an expensive TAA. Getting locked 140fps here so I'm sure 2000 series cards should be able to lock it at 60 with DLSS.

TwinB242

Boy does this game have a pretty brutal learning curve especially if you're not that familiar with the series. But after a couple of intense and draining hours I managed to get a decent grasp of the mechanics and am now off the first island.

I highly recommend watching these 2 vids they contain some pretty essential information that the game doesn't really tell you in a clear way or just buries it in its unhelpful menus/tutorials

Last edited:

Denton

The fuck is with this thread being so dead, are none of ya MFs playing it or something?

Since it came out like 98% of my free time has been spent in Grand Chien and it has been, well, grand.

Just arrived to visit my first hospital in a "communist utopia in progress", the dialogue is hilarious/on point

1084160_20230718142201zc0m.png

1084160_2023071814260bacgc.png

1084160_2023071814261xle4a.png

Last edited:

John Bilbo

The fuck is with this thread being so dead, are none of ya MFs playing it or something?

Since it came out like 98% of my free time has been spent in Grand Chien and it has been, well, grand.

Just arrived to visit my first hospital in a "communist utopia in progress", the dialogue is hilarious/on point

1084160_20230718142201zc0m.png

1084160_2023071814260bacgc.png

1084160_2023071814261xle4a.png
I still got Wasteland 3 going and will soon be busy with Remnant 2. I'll play this later for sure.

Top Bottom