• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise. What's so infuriating about that cue is there's that cut amazing segment from "War" (you know the one) that would have actually worked.

Wait, how did we transition to this? :lol

You brought up Avatar's OST! I can't be held accountable for where this thread goes now. And yes, I know exactly the cue you're talking about. Shame it didn't make it.

I get to watch this for free!

Uf9fLl.jpg

Ashhong

Really pissed that my local IMAX theaters don't have their showtimes up for next week yet for Titanic. If I can't see this in true IMAX I will flip my shit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just backed Kagaris kickstarter, I guess the thread was deleted.
On yeah those reels are blocking the fire extinguisher, scully! Truly in the spirit of the titanic.

I just realized that there is a good chance Titanic is going to join Avatar in the 2 billion dollar club. It only needs to make $160m worldwide.

StuBurns

Banned
Converted movies always look extremely flat, no matter what bullshit Cameron spread about this one.
Well, that might be true in the conversions as of yet, and it would make sense, as the frame doesn't have any depth information, so if you were to give it greater depth I imagine you'd inherently also get stretching artifacts around objects, so you'd want specific objects themselves not to have much depth, and build the depth only based on objects being placed in the depth, not the objects themselves being '3D', or 'pop up book' style as it's being called it seems. However, no one has ever put this much effort into a 3D conversion. It'll be interesting to see if it's worth the effort as a viewer (it's obviously worth it for the studio, because it'll make money).

As much as Avatar was a technical leap, it was also tech demo Cameron was using to sell 3D to the world, and it worked, very effectively. Now he's trying to sell the world 'dimsionalization', so he's clearly going to do it well, assuming it's possible.

Ultimately, it's kind of irrelevant to me, I'm seeing it for the novelty more than anything, I wouldn't be buying 3D blurays of 2D films any more than I'd buy a colourized version of a black and white film. 3D technology still feels like it's in it's infancy to me. Framerate switch ups, multiple rival glasses technologies etc. I think a big budget 3Dification of a 2D film is a natural part of having this technology progress.

strafer

I just wanna hear the freaking ship in 7.1.

You know when Rose searches for Jack the ship makes this sounds, scary as shit.

My 7.1 system is ready.

Solo

I really, really hope Horner ditches the 'Hammerheads are here!' cue for A2. Only part of Avatar's OST I downright loathed.

Likewise. What's so infuriating about that cue is there's that cut amazing segment from "War" (you know the one) that would have actually worked.

Wait, how did we transition to this? :lol

I will still never forgive Cameron for cutting up "War" and hacking out the best 60 seconds of the song (and the entire score, for that matter), which should have hit when Trudy pops in to attack Quarritch. Instead, "War" cuts right off and some janky tune plays.

*raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage*

Bit-Bit

I imagine it was because half of the thread was filled with people complaining about double standards regarding gaf's policy for self-promotion.

That's sad. Kagari really deserves it! The gaming side gets tons of kickstarter threads but Kagari can't go visit the Titanic?!?!

JB1981

I will still never forgive Cameron for cutting up "War" and hacking out the best 60 seconds of the song (and the entire score, for that matter), which should have hit when Trudy pops in to attack Quarritch. Instead, "War" cuts right off and some janky tune plays.

*raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage*

I am more offended by Horner's love theme sounding eerily similar to Titanics

StuBurns

Banned
Titanic and Avatar are almost like companion pieces in my mind, they're both a pretty simple love story set to an extraordinary back drop. Thematically they both involve people raping something of wealth historically for the gain of financial wealth.

I could imagine Cameron wanted deliberate allusions to Titanic in Avatar such as 'I see you' or certain musical references.

GhaleonEB

I am more offended by Horner's love theme sounding eerily similar to Titanics

Huh, I've never found them remotely similar; been listening to the Titanic soundtrack for a few days now and it sounds nothing at all like this, in style or theme. Now, weaving a direct rendition of the Glory theme into the mountain climbing sequence, that bugs me almost as much as the shitty cavalry charge cue.

Ithil

Avatar's music is fine, but there's a sequence in it swiped from Gladiator, which now bothers me any time I here it. It's not like a tiny bit either, it's like a full minute of music.

GhaleonEB

Avatar's music is fine, but there's a sequence in it swiped from Gladiator, which now bothers me any time I here it. It's not like a tiny bit either, it's like a full minute of music.

Which part? Horner is well known for re-using sections and themes of his own music from film to film, but I have not heard suggestions that he uses others; this is the first such suggestion I've read.

Solo

Its funny. Danny Elfman and James Horner are two guys who love to reuse their own melodies, motifs and themes, and yet I find it only irks me with Elfman. I find Horner redresses his cues so well that not only do I not mind it, but often they feel almost like new cues.

All of which is to say I think Horner might actually be underrated. When Avatar came out people were deriding the score for being samey to older Horner stuff. 2.5 years later, I still listen to it all the time. Great score, fresh or not.

Ithil

Which part? Horner is well known for re-using sections and themes of his own music from film to film, but I have not heard suggestions that he uses others; this is the first such suggestion I've read.

Really? Is it in the movie? Which song?
The bit where Jake is gathering the tribes together just before the climax sounds almost exactly like a section from Gladiator, I noticed it when I watched it a few months back.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What, why?

People were being stupid about it. There was some legitimate criticism, which I will definitely look at, but a number of people were derailing the thread with distasteful posts and complaints so I took it down. The project is of course still active, but I won't be talking about it on GAF anymore.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm going to see the 3D version solo on Wednesday, and use that to decide which version to haul the kids to. I want them to have the best experience I can provide for them, even if that means 3D surcharges. I suspect I will prefer the 2D version, but I'm curious just how good the conversion can be.

Also, how on earth did I only today realize one of the thematic continuities Titanic shares with Avatar? ("I see you.")

Was totally rolling my eyes about it when I saw Avatar in the theater. Cameron used his own line twice ><

The book came today; really great edition. The new material in the early sections is fantastic, and it's a larger, heftier tome than I remembered.

Yeah, the new version is definitely thicker:

GhaleonEB

After Rose tries to jump off the ship during the day time when she meets Jack on the boat deck. "I see you, and I knew you wouldn't have jumped."

The full exchange makes it even more clear. The scene is while Rose is looking through Jack's drawings.

Rose: You have a gift, Jack. You see people.

Jack: I see you.

Rose: ...and? *prepares for compliment*

Jack: You wouldn't have jumped.

Rose: *glares*

Good grief. I'm reasonably sure I have every line of dialog memorized, after all these years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9179090/James-Cameron-reshoots-Titanic-scene.html
Cameron, a famed perfectionist, has admitted re-doing a scene in which character Rose clings to a piece of driftwood to survive after leading expert Neil deGrasse Tyson sent him a “snarky” email.

The American astronomer accused the original film of having the wrong star field for the time and date, 4.20am on April 15, 1912, and claimed Cameron should have known better.
In response, Cameron challenged him to send the exact star map and has now included it in the relaunched 3D version of the blockbuster film.
It is the only major technical change to the drama, which will be out in British cinemas on Friday.

Cameron, who recently returned from his voyage to the Mariana Trench, said: “Neil deGrasse Tyson sent me quite a snarky email saying that, at that time of year, in that position in the Atlantic in 1912, when Rose is lying on the piece of driftwood and staring up at the stars, that is not the star field she would have seen.

“And with my reputation as a perfectionist, I should have known that and I should have put the right star field in.”
“So I said ‘All right, send me the right stars for that exact time and I’ll put it in the movie.’"

Ah, so he did change it for the remaster.

StuBurns

Banned
It's odd because I've been thinking about that star map story. In the video, he claims Cameron was changing it for a ten year anniversary release, so I thought it was some DVD version and it never actually happened. It's cool to see Cameron did change it.

I was listening to the director's commentary recently, and Cameron said Jack claims to have gone ice fishing in a lake that didn't exist at the time, I gather Cameron hasn't corrected that?

It's odd because I've been thinking about that star map story. In the video, he claims Cameron was changing it for a ten year anniversary release, so I thought it was some DVD version and it never actually happened. It's cool to see Cameron did change it.

I was listening to the director's commentary recently, and Cameron said Jack claims to have gone ice fishing in a lake that didn't exist at the time, I gather Cameron hasn't corrected that?

Doubt it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

No, it's not corrected.

What a lazy asshole.

He's the laziest filmmaker around, really. Makes George Lucas look like a dynamo, sitting on his chair before the viewing monitor for an entire 12 hour day.

I heard Cameron used to piss himself on set during The Abyss, because he was too lazy to walk off set to go to the toilets. Huge sloth.

Keyouta

I've never seen Titanic. :/

I wish my city had a good movie theatre like imax, there's only one in mine. I wonder if they'll even get the remaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom