• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Foxx cast as Lil' Jon in Robin Hood: Origins (w/ Taron Egerton as Robin Hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit 33

My avatar betrays how much I like Robin Hood.

We'll have to wait it out and see, but I doubt another gritty choreographed Robin Hood will be much better than the last few.
It seems like most adaptations stick to the 'monomyth' plot, and then insert an emotional tone.
Maybe that's why there have been so many adaptions, it basically writes itself.

Better start work on those trick photography sets, I guess.

52769.jpg

Donos

Although many didn't like it, i found the new story angle from the Russel Crowe Robin Longstride pretty interesting and tought it was already the more "gritty" version. Just watched it on TV last weekend.

The "people hiding in Sherwood Forest" thing is already pretty drawn out.

jett

D-Member
How about a Robin Hood faithful to the original story for variation, this angles thing is getting tiresome

"Let's adapt this story. I think it sucks ass but let's adapt anyway, we'll just change it completely!"

I don't understand this need for dark and gritty reboots. Robin Hood and King Arthur both failed. And yet they're being adapted again into cinematic universe garbage.

Gritty reboot. Small black actor playing a large oafish white guy.

Okay? Jamie needs to start picking better roles again, I cannot abide another ASM2.

Rymuth

My first thought was "He's not physically imposing...at all~ Better get someone else like Michael Clarke Duncan."

Then I remembered Michael is dead...now I'm sad. :(

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Sure did. Not many in England of course, but there were. In fact pre-colonisation people in europe weren't as racist as later. Especially in spain. Africa wasn't that far away and people if course interacted with each other. Little John isn't an english noble, in fact it's barely known what he was, so skin colour isn't important (but of course it is for the typicial medieval white feel people want).

Ehm. A large part of modern day Spain was colonized by Arab and Berber muslims, but they're not black. And it's not like the indigenous Spanish population had any say in the influx of muslims from all across the muslim world. (In fact, once they got their country back they first kicked out the Jews and then the muslims.) I think it was HIGHLY unusual to see a black person in medieval Europe when no country had ventured outside of Christian Europe. Even in the beginning of the 20th century when Europe had been colonizing the rest of the world for centuries and there was in fact a great deal of travel and trade, black people were still curiosities. It wasn't until the 1950ies/60ies with decolonization that regular Europeans were starting to see black people in larger numbers.

Loxley

"Let's adapt this story. I think it sucks ass but let's adapt anyway, we'll just change it completely!"

I don't understand this need for dark and gritty reboots. Robin Hood and King Arthur both failed. And yet they're being adapted again into cinematic universe garbage.

In the defense of that Clive Owen King Arthur movie - bad as it was - there was a precedent for a take on the folklore that was more serious and down-to-earth. It's fitting with the character's Anglo-Saxon origins as a ruthless warrior. All the heavily romanticized stuff with the Holy Grail, Merlin, and the Knights of the Round Table was added later by the French in the centuries after they invaded England in 1066 and eradicated the majority of traditional Anglo-Saxon folklore.

Robin Hood, on the other hand, has no real historical precedent to be so damn dark and dour.

Another Robin Hoods movie?

I thought the Russell Crowe was pretty decent.

This one is extra-special because it will be an expanded universe thing where each of the characters gets their own movies between the larger Robin Hood movies, a la The Avengers.

see5harp

I don't think any Robin Hood movie can top the Kevin Costner one (even though he has no british accent in it)...am I crazy for thinking that?

You know I really loved that movie as a kid. I just really think Kevin Costner pulled it off. Really, I thought everyone, even Christian Slater put in some good work in that.

EDIT: I think I should say that I haven't seen it as a kid so everything I said may not actually be true.

LakeEarth

Hollywood Executive - "We've very excited about this movie, we're in talks to get Jaime Foxx as the lead role"

Assistant - "Oooh, I'm sorry sir, but it looks like Mr. Foxx has turned us down to play a different role."

Hollywood Executive ".... TURNED DOWN FOR WHAT?!!?"

Took me far too long to put that together. It was not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom