• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Foxx cast as Lil' Jon in Robin Hood: Origins (w/ Taron Egerton as Robin Hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
You know what? Sure.

right?

at this point. ... why not?

ygjkb.gif

Loxley

Roger Ebert: "What have we come to when the "legend" of Robin Hood has to be modernized into a movie that just drips with sex, violence, perversion and this dark, negative image? What has happened to the magic?

Gene Siskel: "It's gone."

- Siskel and Ebert's review of Coster's Robin Hood film.
Relevant 25 years ago, relevant now.

I don't think any Robin Hood movie can top the Kevin Costner one (even though he has no british accent in it)...am I crazy for thinking that?

If you can embrace how cheesy it is by today's standards, the Errol Flynn 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' film from 1938 is still the king in my opinion (*avatar quote*). The blu-ray looks fantastic too.

You're gonna catch shit for this opinion but, damnit, Kevin Costner playing Kevin Costner playing Robin. GOAT.

I consider it to be a near-unwatchable film. The cinematography is terrible, the color palette is utterly lifeless, the charm and charisma that typically accompanies Robin Hood films is almost completely absent and I found Costner's performance to be...eh, subpar. Not that I want all Robin Hood films to be the same - writers and directors should get creative. What I dislike is when they get creative and the end result is something so utterly dull and uninteresting.

The funny thing is of all the common criticisms thrown at Prince of Thieves, the accent stuff doesn't really bother me. Errol Flynn's accent was an amalgam of Australian, English and American, Russel Crowe used a wacky combination of Irish and English, the animated Disney film was American + English, Jonas Armstrong spoke with his natural northern-English accent in the BBC TV show, and Sean Connery was Sean Connery as hell in 'Robin and Marian'.

So really, you could argue there's a precedent for Robin Hood actor's to just do whatever they want with their dialect.

wKCAiRR.gif

If anything I take issue more with Costner's hilarious mullet than his accent.

jett

D-Member
LOL this is where the Kingsman guy goes after his breakout success?

Anyway, I can't believe we're getting another "Origins" movie, another attempt at a half-baked cinematic universe POS. Fuck outta here Lionsgate. I hope this bombs on principle alone.

jett

D-Member
The Disney animated movie is the best Robin Hood movie.

I liked Costner Hood in my childhood, but goddamn that movie has aged like fucking cheese.
Crowe Hood is just the most generic, lazy shit.
Flynn Hood is kinda boring to be honest. I watched some time ago and I don't remember anything. I'm not sure I watched it to the end.

Men in Tights is aight.

Trojan X

Banned
Robin Hood has been done SO MANY TIMES it's annoying. Since they are going to do it again it would be fantastic if they completely change the ethinicity of all the characters. For example, let Robin Hood be played by an asian man or something. Heck, how about all women? Change it up, Hollywood! Fit the times. Robin hood played by the same guy who starred in Kingsman? Come on, lazy much?

Anyway, isn't Little John supposed to be really big? The little being ironic. Jamie Foxx is a fairly short, skinny dude. I could see him as Will Scarlet

Nah dude Jamie Foxx is pretty jacked, or at least he used to be.

Also, he's the same height as Tom Hardy and he played Bane so.....

But yeah, this is some wtf casting regardless.

Chariot

wait us black people existed in the medieval period?
Sure did. Not many in England of course, but there were. In fact pre-colonisation people in europe weren't as racist as later. Especially in spain. Africa wasn't that far away and people if course interacted with each other. Little John isn't an english noble, in fact it's barely known what he was, so skin colour isn't important (but of course it is for the typicial medieval white feel people want).

More than the colour of the actor's skin I am worried about the size. Little John being insanely tall is important.

Trojan X

Banned
Sure did. Not many in England of course, but there were. In fact pre-colonisation people in europe weren't as racist as later. Especially in spain. Africa wasn't that far away and people if course interacted with each other. Little John isn't an english noble, in fact it's barely known what he was, so skin colour isn't important (but of course it is for the typicial medieval white feel people want).

More than the colour of the actor's skin I am worried about the size. Little John being insanely tall is important.

Why worry about the size? Lil Jon for a very tall guy would be classed as a tease, a good old school joke of a tease. It's like introducing Big Pete to a crowd and out comes out this skinny runt of a guy. Again, no issues what so ever.

Chariot

Why worry about the size? Lil Jon for a very tall guy would be classed as a tease, a good old school joke of a tease. It's like introducing Big Pete to a crowd and out comes out this skinny runt of a guy. Again, no issues what so ever.
Little John was a giant of a man, as far as I understood from the posts here the actor is rather small and would look ridicilous like Bane in DKR.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hang on, they fought on "different sides" in the Crusades? How does that work? I guess they are doing the Morgan Freeman thing again.

Xe4

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of the casting choice. Isn't little john supposed to be huge, like a gigantic dude (hence the tongue in cheek name). Maybe it will work with camera trickery.

RedSwirl

Don't like all of them show him "becoming" Robin Hood? Certainly most of the ones in the last 25 years.

This is my problem: The Russell Crowe movie was an origin story. The Kevin Costner movie basically covered the same material.

I say fuck it. I'm just gonna stick with the Costner version as my go-to Robin Hood movie. I don't even care how good or bad it may have actually been.

This is my problem: The Russell Crowe movie was an origin story. The Kevin Costner movie basically covered the same material.

I say fuck it. I'm just gonna stick with the Costner version as my go-to Robin Hood movie. I don't even care how good or bad it may have actually been.

Damn right, how can you not listen to this theme song while you walk with your crew in slow motion towards the squat rack at the gym to get a new max, and not feel pumped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Edkb2Qo9c

Maddocks

I thought it was "Robin: Hood Origins" and I was, I think WB is going a little far with their cinematic universe.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Tiny guy cast to play gentle giant.

Does Jamie have no shame? In what universe does he take the part thinking, "Yeah this makes sense,and is true to the tale. They totally won't kill me in the media for this one."

It's a superhero origins. Lil' Jon will grow exponentially as part of his power set. Probably each of the Merry Men has a power too!

Trojan X

Banned
Little John was a giant of a man, as far as I understood from the posts here the actor is rather small and would look ridicilous like Bane in DKR.

Ah ic. People saying that he is not big enough? That makes sense to me, it just wasn't clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom