• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taron Egerton will play Sir Elton John in the "world's first R-rated musical"

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I thought this was interesting!
Although fairly sure there has been an R-rated musical before.

Taron Egerton is going from Eggsy to Rocket Man as the Kingsman: The Golden Circle star confirms he'll be playing Sir Elton John in an upcoming musical.

"I am indeed, I'm going to be playing Elton John in a musical," Taron shared. "I'm really excited to talk about it. It's something that I've been so, so excited about.

"Elton's production company and Matthew Vaughn's production company – who made Kingsman – are planning a musical, fantasy, not quite biopic, about the early years of Elton John. It's going to feature his songs and I'm going to do the old acting and singing."

Taron is no stranger to singing on film, having previously joined Luke Evans and Eddie the Eagle co-star Hugh Jackson in a Gaston sing-off on The Jonathan Ross Show last year, as well as starring in Universal Pictures' Sing as teenage gorilla Johnny.

But if his comments are anything to go by, we should be expecting something less family-friendly from his appearance in this musical.

"As far as I'm aware the plan is that it will be the world's first R-rated musical," he added. "It's going to be very unabashed in its depiction of him I think."

Linkura

I can think of at least one:

SouthParkbiggerlongeruncut.jpg

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Blues Brothers was R rated as well wasn't it ?

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Haven't watched the interview myself so I'm guessing the "world's first R-rated musical" quote was probably in jest, just letting people know it won't be a standard biopic.

Phased

Elton John swears like a sailor in real life. I remember a documentary he did a long time ago and everyone was shocked at his language because they had some image of him built up from his music.

WoolyNinja

Taron Egerton is an amazing choice. Eddie the Eagle with those glasses was basically his audition for Sir Elton John

thefro

Well Book of Mormon is a Broadway play, which aren't rated by the MPAA. But yeah there have been a ton of "R rated' plays, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Hamilton, Avenue Q etc.

If they did a straight adaptation of Book of Mormon, it'd probably be NC-17 due to a couple of the gags.

Izuna

Banned
Has a lot of swearing in it.

A little bit tame for R in my opinion but okay.

Also Stinkles, are you looking for a ticket for West End? 25% chance I have a spare and I'd rather share with you then sell it.

definitely 25% chance tho, would require my backup to pull out as well as bumblebae

There's a bunch of r rated musicals. Anyways this could work if baz luhrmann made it. That description sounds like it's right in his wheelhouse.

Taron seems like a good fit. I like hardy much more obviously but when he was announced for this a few years ago it made no sense. I could see taron playing Elton tho

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Also Stinkles, are you looking for a ticket for West End? 25% chance I have a spare and I'd rather share with you then sell it.

definitely 25% chance tho, would require my backup to pull out as well as bumblebae

WHAT I would love to but a) I ain't gonna be here for long enough and b) I promised my daughter I'd take her. We might go to see it in LA. But even if I were to take you up on the best offer I'm gonna get all week, I'd have paid you for it.

Izuna

Banned
WHAT I would love to but a) I ain't gonna be here for long enough and b) I promised my daughter I'd take her. We might go to see it in LA. But even if I were to take you up on the best offer I'm gonna get all week, I'd have paid you for it.

I'll keep you updated anyway. The thing is, West End tickets are paperless so I have to go with the person I sell the ticket to. (I ain't selling both----)

I forgot to mention this is in March, so -- I'm just planning ahead.

I'd kill to see it in Chicago. Like really, I'd kill... like at least a ten fleas.

I'm thinking about touring the venue when it opens in December just so I have an idea of how good these Dress Circle seats are gunna be...

~~

Anyway, on-topic, is Book of Mormon that incredible? I was too young when it hit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'll keep you updated anyway. The thing is, West End tickets are paperless so I have to go with the person I sell the ticket to. (I ain't selling both----)

I forgot to mention this is in March, so -- I'm just planning ahead.

I'd kill to see it in Chicago. Like really, I'd kill... like at least a ten fleas.

I'm thinking about touring the venue when it opens in December just so I have an idea of how good these Dress Circle seats are gunna be...

~~

Anyway, on-topic, is Book of Mormon that incredible? I was too young when it hit.

I ordered this.

XJ2JipT.jpg

As for Book of Mormon, for me it was just OK. Funny in places, a couple of decent songs. It's more successful conceptually than it is in execution.

Hazmat

MPAA will let you say "fuck" once in a PG-13 so long as it doesn't refer to sex. Hamilton uses it more than once, and one of them is "motherfucking" so it would be an automatic R without changes.

Top Bottom