• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan. 1 - No more late fees at Blockbuster

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Blockbuster Inc. announced Tuesday it is abolishing late fees on all its video tapes, DVDs and video games as of Jan. 1.

The world's largest video rental company will still have due dates for their rental products -- one week for games and two days or one week for movies, depending on whether it's a new release.

But customers will be given a one-week grace period after that to return the product. After that grace period ends, the chain will automatically sell them the product, less the rental fee. If the customers don't want to purchase the movie or game, they can return the product within 30 days for a credit, less a restocking fee.

Blockbuster (Research) has been competing with the growth of by-mail rental services such as Netflix (Research), which allow customers to keep movies as long as they want in return for a monthly fee. In August, Blockbuster started offering that kind of monthly rental service itself. It said Tuesday that service will continue in addition to this new individual rental policy.

"For the past year, the company has been testing a variety of rental options in markets across the U.S.," it said in its statement. "In no-late-fees test markets, the increased rental transactions and retail sales offset the lower level of revenues resulting from eliminating late fees."

It estimated that late fees would have contributed about $250 million to $300 million to revenue next year.

The company said it also plans to lower its ongoing marketing, operating and promotional costs after implementing the change.

The company said as a result of the move it expects operating income in 2005 to be flat compared with 2004 results after an estimated $50 million it will spend to market and implement the change to a no late fee system.

Analysts surveyed by earnings tracker First Call had forecast that the company would earn 73 cents a share in 2004 and 67 cents a share in 2005. That works out to about a $6.5 million drop in forecasted earnings between the two years.

Blockbuster, which was spun off earlier this year by media conglomerate Viacom (Research), is in the process of bidding for competitior Hollywood Entertainment (Research), the No. 2 video rental chain. Hollywood Entertainment has entered into a merger agreement with buyout firm Leonard Green & Partners as well as Hollywood's top management to take the company private.

Blockbuster is offering $11.50 a share for Hollywood, or about $700 million, and it has said it would be willing to raise its bid subject to a review of company financial information.

Leonard Green and Partners is offering $10.25 a share for the company. Movie Gallery (Research), the No. 3 video rental chain, is also involved in the bidding.

Interesting fee income is the great buzzword these days... for a company to be dropping them...

bjork

Too bad they didn't do this back when they stocked some stupidly rare games at the one near here...

marko

Good move. I know whenever I returned a movie/game late to blockbuster, it always took me a long,long time to go back and rent another one because I hated paying that late fee. This will give me plenty of time to return the item without incurring the charge. And since I can return it late without a late fee, I will go to blockbuster much more often.

I imagine there are quite a few people that are just like me in this regard.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's the purpose of the due dates then? Aren't they essentially just adding a week? I don't see why anyone would pay attention to the due date and not the purchase deadline.

Meh, whatever, Netflix is the thing for me.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Dan said:
What's the purpose of the due dates then? Aren't they essentially just adding a week? I don't see why anyone would pay attention to the due date and not the purchase deadline.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It basically just means that five day rentals just became two week rentals.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Minotauro said:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It basically just means that five day rentals just became two week rentals.

Well, with a slight added urgency. Technically it is a 2 week rental, but if you don't return the damned thing within two weeks, you're going to get charged a fuck of a lot more than a standard late fee.

They're calling it a "grace" period for a reason.

lexbubble

Hmmm...this makes me think I might go back there and switch from Hollywood video. ALthough I still like the longer check out length at Hollywood. This sure is an interesting move though.

Phoenix

DaCocoBrova said:
B&M rental spots won't be around for much longer.

THe .com view of the world is alive and well a scant 5 years after the vast majority of them died :) B&M rental spots aren't going anywhere as there are plenty of people who want to rent a movie/game 'right now' (i.e. some guest come over) as opposed to 48-72 hours from now.

KingGondo

Banned
Man, I'll be renting many more games now, especially since I can basically play them until I beat them, rather than being forced to return a game you couldn't beat in the 6-day rental period.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I remember renting the SEGA Beavis and Butthead game a long time ago. The late fee was over $100. :lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wow, fucking fantastic. Now I get to wait up to a week longer before a video I want is returned back.

yoshifumi

Banned
when they say they'll sell the rental to the customer after a week grace period, is this at a reasonable price, or the $50+ rental version price?

mattx5

If you end up purchasing the movie/game, is it the one you've been using? Do they give you a box for it? Paying extreme Blockbuster prices for a movie/game that's used and doesn't come with the original box would suck.

And this is going to fuck up availability big time, since people will be able to hold onto videos for like 2+ weeks instead of getting off their lazy asses so the rest of us can rent the damn thing.

Phoenix

The interesting part being that after that extra week you've 'bought' it whether or not that was your actual intent.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Interesting idea, but it still doesn't compare to the MVP program at Hollywood Video. I have one three doors down from me. For $10 a month, I can check out 3 movies at a time for free. I'm renting movies I wouldn't normally spend money on, just so I can see them (usually in fast forward) and check out 3 more the next day.

robochimp

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
What about people who got accounts before they required a credit card? I have had a blockbuster account for 10 years, but I have no credit card.

I would assume you would get bills in the mail and if that doesnt work it's collection agency time

Pimpwerx

Good. Normally, when I get a late fee, I usually just keep the movie for another week anyway. Hey, I'm getting charged for it, might as well hold onto it. This new policy will make me much more comfortable renting videos. Hollywood Video better move to match. I used to miss Hollywood Video, but now this news makes me happy to stay with BB. Hope it doesn't mean a rise in rental fees. PEACE.

kumanoki

All Blockbuster has to do is raise the 'price' of one of its games or movies to something exorbitant to keep people from renting and not returning. That's what they used to do back in the N64/Genesis day, anyway.

"Oh. I see here you haven't returned Navy Seals. It's been two months, so that brings your total to.....including the three movies you're renting tonight, plus the Blockbuster Super Renter discount.....$149.78."

SKluck

Banned
Netflix is still unbeatable. The only bad thing about Netflix is that I try to view as many movies as possible to get the most for my money. I end up ripping movies to my HDD just so I can send the disc back the next day :lol. Right now I have S1 and S2 of Sopranos on my hdd from them, I'm almost done with S1 though.

Tonche

We've had this in Australia for a while, only with a 14 day grace period rather than 30.

Works pretty well, can be abused with game rentals (New release for 2 weeks, yes please!) and rarities. Restocking fee for the first 14 days is $3 (About $2 US)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like I'll be renting Resident Evil 4 from Blockbuster and taking advantage of this "grace" period

Joe

does this mean all previous late fees will be wiped?

i still have gran turismo2 that i havent returned. they sent me one notice in the mail and it said i owed a few hundred dollars. im still not sure where that game went...

aaaaa0

Joe said:

i still have gran turismo2 that i havent returned. they sent me one notice in the mail and it said i owed a few hundred dollars. im still not sure where that game went...

That's gonna go on your credit record eventually, and will screw you if you ever want a car loan or a house.

Joe

at the time the account was under my fathers name and this must have been about 5 years ago. he just recently got a loan for a car and i dont remember him saying anything about high interest rates or any complaints. who knows? they did only send me one notice.

Teddman

Joe said:

How could you owe a few hundred for Gran Turismo 2? Isn't the fee capped at the product's cost?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Tonche said:
We've had this in Australia for a while, only with a 14 day grace period rather than 30.

Works pretty well, can be abused with game rentals (New release for 2 weeks, yes please!) and rarities. Restocking fee for the first 14 days is $3 (About $2 US)

I assume you mean that if you miss the due date and grace period and then get charged the cost of the film, returning it costs about $3.00 for the restocking fee?

This is an interesting plan, although it would seem likely to make films harder to rent. One of the advantages of the mail rental programs is that folks are encouraged to return titles quickly, so as to maximize their rental dollars. At least, I was while trying Blockbuster's program.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Awesome..

so now it will take longer for their allready limited stock of movies back in.. and a ton of them will wind up being sold to customers and never returned. I dont think that .com rentals are the answer, however I think on demand stuff from cable companies will eventually end B&M stores. It has the advantages of getting the movie "right then", plus its never out of stock, and you cant possibly get a late fee. The only hurdles to overcome is at times it takes forever for them to get some movies and they cant rent games that way.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Teddman said:
How could you owe a few hundred for Gran Turismo 2? Isn't the fee capped at the product's cost?
No. They charge you for potential sales(rentals) lost. If the game is popular and they have a small amout, you could pay far more than MSRP.

luxsol

StoOgE said:
however I think on demand stuff from cable companies will eventually end B&M stores. It has the advantages of getting the movie "right then", plus its never out of stock, and you cant possibly get a late fee.
These services are bullshit. They almost always cost more than what it costs to rent it from a store. It's nice that you don't have to walk/drive to get or return them, but it isn't worth paying 1-2 bucks more for that convenience.

impirius

Hey guys, I'm a worker drone for GameRush/BB and can clear up a few things.

- You will have to pay off existing late fees before being able to rent under the new system. There will be coupons for a free rental as incentive for anyone who pays off their existing fees.
- If a game/movie is in our system for sale as PRP (previously rented product), you'll be charged that price if you keep it past the grace period. If not, you'll be charged the price for a new copy of that item.
- You can still get an account without a credit card, but you can only have 2 games out at a time. You can have more if you 'secure' your account. At least that's how it works at our store... it may vary from district to district and may change with the new system.

Mrbob

Good move for some people, but this move by Blockbuster isn't good enough for me.

Hollywood video must be testing out different programs right now because mine offer $0.99 cost for five days on all DVDs, including brand new titles. Late fees are $0.49 a day for each day late. I like that MVP program though I wish they had it here.

I'm thinking rental prices are going to get jacked up dramatically with this system. Probably around ten bucks to rent a game, six or seven for a movie.

Rorschach

I haven't been to a BB in a long time. I used to go for my free movies since I was a gold card member, but I stopped going since I can usually buy a game for double the rental price and a new dvd for a few dollars more than the rental price. I just can't warrant a rental anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom