• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Janelle Monae - The Archandroid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Second said:
It's my favorite pop album of the century, so far. "pop" isn't even the right term for this awesome music.

My favorite tracks are the ballads. "57821", "Oh maker", "Say you'll Go" and "Sir Greendown" all give me chills. The girl can write such beautiful poetry. The faster tracks are also very inspiring and uplifting.

And is there a more epic ending track than "BaBopByeYa"?
Nope.
The song sounds like 5 genres put into one song. So amazing.

This whole Cindy Mayweather and Anthony Greendown lovestory should be made into a musical. :lol
The forbidden android-human love is a great metaphor for our current struggles in love . (gay love- interracial love etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfwNy12Znp4

Dat lyrics. The song somehow reminds me of a Stevie Wonder track. And Debussy's Claire de Lune playing during the ending. Plus the vintage vocals. <3 <3

Definitely wouldn't consider it pop. At the very least I'd consider it an offshoot of Neo-soul. Maybe Indie-soul? I Dunno, but she seems to combine soul with indie, psychedelic, and a bunch of other shit. It's too hard to categorize:lol

JCX

Beezy said:
Locked Inside > Faster > Dance or Die

Each builds up into a better song. I can play those three over and over all day.

I thought those were a single song when I first listened to it. So awesome.

This album is like she took the best elements out of my favorite genres and put them together.

ITA that this should be made into a musical. She is a playwright, so I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes one in the future, provided she becomes popular.

babobyeya has grown on me in the past week. It really sounds like the end song for the 2nd act of a play, which is fitting since The Archandroid is the middle of "Metropolis"

57821 is also awesome.

"Make the Bus" is good on its own, but it kind of disrupts the flow of the album.

Galang

Banned
Favorite is still Cold War, and I also love Dance or Die, Faster and Locked Inside. It's been said, but those songs do go really really well together. :D

Scribble

heheh @ when Monae raps. You gotta love how vain music videos are :lol

This Wondamix was a surprise (And not really a pleasant one). I thought the Cold War video would be out by now.

Clevinger

After listening a bit to this, I went to look at some live recordings and, holy hell, she has a pretty incredible stage performance. She kind of reminds me of Cedric from The Mars Volta, except she can actually sing really well while dancing like a lunatic.

freitax

AMAZING FUCKING ALBUM! the first medley is orgasmic.. already love her. And good ass job is still to come, this is going to be an awesome year.

andymcc

Banned
RiskyChris said:
There really needs to be more music talk on this forum. This is really good.

Edit: Of Montreal o_O

it's a lot better of an album than anything Gaga will ever make, huh.

andymcc said:
it's a lot better of an album than anything Gaga will ever make, huh.

Ever make? Doubtful.

I don't particularly find the need to compare the two though, considering GaGa's current style fits a mood and mindset not served by this album.

andymcc

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Ever make? Doubtful.

I don't particularly find the need to compare the two though, considering GaGa's current style fits a mood and mindset not served by this album.

you're right, comparing the two is a disservice to this album. comparing this album to Gaga is like comparing Starry, Starry Night to a kid scribbling on construction paper.

Raistlin

I clicked on her myspace link and saw that Dance or Die featured Saul Williams, so I had to give it a shot ...

... am I hallucinating, or is she channeling some Busta during the verse :lol

I can dig it.

JCX

Monae is like Gaga, but with substance.

I already want the last chase suite. If "BaBopByeYa" is any indicator, the finale should be even more epic.

andymcc said:
you're right, comparing the two is a disservice to this album. comparing this album to Gaga is like comparing Starry, Starry Night to a kid scribbling on construction paper.

Well if you gotta tear something down to enjoy your music, more power.

Galang

Banned
I definitely would pick it up, I finally managed getting around to buying her first cd as well. Thought I completed my set, but didn't realize she has an album called the Audition. Will have to look into that one later.

andymcc said:

jesus christ dude just stop

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
JCX said:
Monae is like Gaga, but with substance.

I already want the last chase suite. If "BaBopByeYa" is any indicator, the finale should be even more epic.
Their music sounds nothing alike. And they're not really even similar at all, unless you're just comparing them because they're both female.

Anyway, awesome album.

julls said:
Their music sounds nothing alike. And they're not really even similar at all, unless you're just comparing them because they're both female.

Nothing even remotely alike. "GaGa w/ substance" doesn't make sense. At all.

Galang

Banned
GaGa's name seems to appear on almost every thread here
and the internet
. She's become the posterchild for comparisons, especially in music.

Any word on how Archandroid II + III is doing?

JCX

I, among others, compared the two, not because of their superficial sounds, but because of their process. In contrast to other popular female artists, they both are the driving creative forces behind their personas. They put effort into their entire image and live shows through artistic groups (Haus of Gaga, Wondaland Arts Society). They both, to some extent, embrace androgyny and reject traditional beauty norms for females, especially female singers.

I am not saying that "Telephone" sounds like "Tightrope". I'm saying that their methods seem to be more similar to each other rather than someone like Ke$ha, and that is why the comparisons have been made and likely will continue as Monae (hopefully) gets more popular.

RiskyChris said:
Nothing even remotely alike. "GaGa w/ substance" doesn't make sense. At all.
Yep...if you're looking for a better comparison, look no further:

Res w/ a better shot at stardom

makes plenty of sense.

K.Sabot

Unpopular opinion, but I think the last part of the album starting at Suite III is undoubtedly superior to the first section.

Since some of you are just checking out her music, I just wanted to post my favorite song of hers, "Call the Law" from the criminally underappreciated OutKast Idlewild album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHoFY4BzBns (I fell in love with her after first listen)

she sings her ASS off on this...had me checking for her eventual Metropolis: Suite I.

and here's the other track she added vocals on from the Idlewild album, just sings the chorus though:

"In Your Dreams" f. Killer Mike - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNX4wCbdI8Q

Scribble

JCX said:
I, among others, compared the two, not because of their superficial sounds, but because of their process. In contrast to other popular female artists, they both are the driving creative forces behind their personas. They put effort into their entire image and live shows through artistic groups (Haus of Gaga, Wondaland Arts Society). They both, to some extent, embrace androgyny and reject traditional beauty norms for females, especially female singers.

I am not saying that "Telephone" sounds like "Tightrope". I'm saying that their methods seem to be more similar to each other rather than someone like Ke$ha, and that is why the comparisons have been made and likely will continue as Monae (hopefully) gets more popular.

I agree. Lady Gaga will inevitably release a monster-themed The Archandroid (Hey, they both have fantasyish motifs behind their work). I don't think it'll be a masterpiece as some of her fans seem to think, but Gaga clearly has interests outside of Telephone and Bad Romance.

Majmun

K.Sabot said:
Unpopular opinion, but I think the last part of the album starting at Suite III is undoubtedly superior to the first section.

Yeah, and the Suite III interlude is beautiful.
Make the Bus is the only track I kinda dislike in Suite III. The ballads are just divine.

Come Alive, Mushrooms & Roses and Make the Bus are the only tracks in this album I can't get into. I LOVE the rest.

Majmun

Yep, bought it today :D

2003dzk.jpg

I couldn't find the Metropolis record anywhere. The record store had to order it from the US...

JCX

Scribble said:
Hmm, I'm not sure I like Cold War (Wondamix). Reminds me of Coldplay's 'Clocks'

Yeah, neither wondamix was as good as the corresponding original.

I just want the video for Cold War soon!

My friend recently interviewed her. Let me just say this, she is a bit out there for sure. Not sure if its an act, part of her persona, or she was serious. He had a hard time keeping up with her answers for sure. Long tangents about androids! awesome music though!

Galang

Banned
Second said:
Yep, bought it today :D

http://i27.tinypic.com/2003dzk.jpg[IMG]

I couldn't find the Metropolis record anywhere. The record store had to order it from the US...[/QUOTE]

Nice, I couldn't find Metropolis in stores anywhere either. I ended up ordering it from Amazon in early - mid June, but it's still on back-order. I got an e-mail today, saying they're still waiting =_=

[QUOTE=TrAcEr_x90]My friend recently interviewed her. Let me just say this, she is a bit out there for sure. Not sure if its an act, part of her persona, or she was serious. He had a hard time keeping up with her answers for sure. Long tangents about androids! awesome music though![/QUOTE]

That's awesome :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This album is pretty badass. It (well, tightrope) has been getting a ton of airplay on CBC Radio Two up here in Canada.

Majmun

Galang said:
Nice, I couldn't find Metropolis in stores anywhere either. I ended up ordering it from Amazon in early - mid June, but it's still on back-order. I got an e-mail today, saying they're still waiting =_=

You really can't find Metropolis in the stores. But you seem to be out of luck when it comes to ordering the record...
The record store called me today. Metropolis had arrived.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22382774&postcount=448

That was pretty fast. The guy told me they had to order it from the US. Don't know how they did it so fast. (I live in Holland)
But yeah, I'm not complaining. And it only cost me €10

Majmun

Are there any similar artists like Janelle? I should check them out...
I still can't get enough of her.
Also listened to "The Audition" the last couple of days. It's pretty good. But sounds so simple compared to Metropolis and Archandroid. :p

When will the Cold War video be released btw?

Empty

i haven't been able to stop listening to this album since i downloaded it a few weeks ago as a holiday album. definitely one of the best pop albums in ages. genre-hopping, fun, refreshing, suprising, full of variation yet coherent as hell, and very little filler. a real delight. i started by loving the energetic trio of 'dance or die', 'faster' and 'locked inside' most, and the way they mesh with eachother is great, but now my favourite is 'neon valley street', the lush sweeping sounds are great, the cool instrumentation faintly in the background, a light beat, then when she starts bringing in the rap :swooonnn, it's so chill and wonderful.

i've been listening to her 2008 EP on spotify and it's aces too. many moons is soooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom