• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Janelle Monae - The Archandroid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Threi said:
The closest I have in my collection would probably be Gnarls Barkley

I have both Gnarls Barkley records in my music backlog. :p
It's time to take a listen.

@ JCX

Yeah, both are good. Be Still is amazing. The whole Big Boi album is.

JCX

"Cold War" video premiers tomorrow on pitchfork.com. I hope it is more "many moons" than "tightrope".

Koodo

Banned
Janelle Monáe is fierce and deserves a bump.

I had listened to the album on her MySpace, but the other day I passed next to an HMV store and saw the album and BAM! purchased.

I already knew it was amazing, but it's good to have it in physical form. I cannot overstate how much I love Suite II Overture, such an epic opening to an album. :D

JCX

Crumpet Trumpet said:
That was...strange. I don't understand it.

I think it is supposed to be her character, Cindy Mayweather, being captured and tortured/interrogated.

I like this one more than tightrope.

Majmun

The clip reminds me of Sinead O'Connor's Nothing compared 2 U video, with the tear an all.

But I liked it.

And wow, Janelle definitely was inspired by Gnarls Barkley. Listen to the beginning of Gnarls Barkley's "Storm Coming" and Janelle's "Violet Stars Happy Hunting"
And GB's "Going on" has the same vibe as J's "Cold War" There are many other GB songs that use melodies and lullabies heard in Janelle's music.

Threi was right. Gnarls Barkley is Janelle, but in another form.

Clevinger

Not "nothing," "not all that alike." Maybe I'm just not good at hearing the similarities.

edit: Also, he was saying that one sounds like Violet Stars. To me, the only similarity is the stuttering at the beginning.

Dabanton

Second said:
The clip reminds me of Sinead O'Connor's Nothing compared 2 U video, with the tear an all.

But I liked it.

And wow, Janelle definitely was inspired by Gnarls Barkley. Listen to the beginning of Gnarls Barkley's "Storm Coming" and Janelle's "Violet Stars Happy Hunting"
And GB's "Going on" has the same vibe as J's "Cold War" There are many other GB songs that use melodies and lullabies heard in Janelle's music.

Threi was right. Gnarls Barkley is Janelle, but in another form.

Well they are connected through The Dungeon Family so it's no surprise that their would be some influences rubbing off.

Galang

Banned
JCX said:
"Cold War" video premiers tomorrow on pitchfork.com. I hope it is more "many moons" than "tightrope".

Missed this, so glad it's the next single. :D

zero_suit said:
Here's her performance on So You Think You Can Dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9R3l652Nk

Love it!:D

That's a nice surprise. The seasons of SYTYCD I watched pretty much only featured top 40 artists for the the elimination performances. Nice to see her chosen to perform.

DanielPlainview said:
she is opening for Arcade Fire in Toronto, awesome. :D

Damn, that's an amazing pair. I would of been able to go if I had known about it sooner :(

Scribble

I saw her perform in London a few days ago. Spot on performances of some of my favourites, especially Sincerely Jane, Faster and Violet Stars Happy Hunting.

My concern was that she seemed a bit disconnected from the crowd (android thing and all that. But she did dive into the audience at the end and she didn't seem to mind when the audience were treating her like Stretch Armstrong) and I felt that it was just one performance of many...also, I was astonished at how STILL much of the audience were!

I just saw her here in LA last night. Great performance!

She is the opening act for Of Montreal. But to be honest, I think she should be the main show. I'm surprised she's not headlining yet.

Since she was the opening act, she basically flew through the set. It was great, but too short, IMO.

Like other said, her vocals and energy are phenomenal. Many of the songs she performed sounded the same as the CD or better. If she comes to your city, I definitely encourage you to make the effort to see her!

y2dvd

Saw her last night in Houston. Amazing performer!

g940Kl.jpg

lJnnBl.jpg

Tbv1Wl.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I only knew her by name but I recently listened to this album and found it fantastic, I always listen from the first to last track without skipping any. I hope I can see her live someday.

Majmun

So sad that Janelle doesn't get the recognition she deservers. One of the best new artist of the last decade imo.

The Archandroid is a brilliant record. Metropolis also.

I don't dig all of it, but some of it is really good, and the variety in style is pretty awesome.

I'm up to track 15 (Wondaland) as at this point of posting. Dance or Die -> Faster is a good 6 minutes, Sir Greendown reminds me of old classic movie tracks like Moon River or something, Cold War is a bit Gnarles Barkley (innoffensively catchy and poppy), Oh Maker is awesome, and I really like Make the Bus too. The rest of it doesn't really stick with me lyrically, I'm just sort of letting it wash over, but its really easy listening - an ambient, lounging sort of pop / soul / funk. I've had it on in the background while I do some work... I could definitely see it growing on me. As I type this, its gone onto 57821 and I'm getting a Simon and Garfunkel vibe ha... so much variety.

I love the album cover, its like Stargate vs Bioshock vs Tron.

Suairyu

Banned
Second said:
So sad that Janelle doesn't get the recognition she deservers. One of the best new artist of the last decade imo.

The Archandroid is a brilliant record. Metropolis also.
In the UK at least, she's a critical darling. All the highbrow newspapers can never stop praising her. I have no idea how that translates into sales.

JCX

Wish I the whole set was available here :(

She's a critical darling in the U.S. too, but she hasn't had a mainstream hit yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom