• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 22 - 28 Aug

GDGF

Soothsayer
AniHawk said:
20k/week is hardly dead. PSP will get a much belated revival on the 14th/15th. Remember how people were saying the DS was dead earlier in the year? Don't be that person.

Perhaps dead is too strong a word. Hell, I'm sure there's at least one or two people a week who buy Wonderswans. What I mean is that the PSP is quickly loosing relevancy in Japan. Slap a funky color on an XBOX and it sells a few more units. Doesn't really mean anything in the long run (and somewhere a lime coloured GCN screams in agreement).

Deku

Banned
GDGF said:
Perhaps dead is too strong a word. Hell, I'm sure there's at least one or two people a week who buy Wonderswans. What I mean is that the PSP is quickly loosing relevancy in Japan. Slap a funky color on an XBOX and it sells a few more units. Doesn't really mean anything in the long run (and somewhere a lime coloured GCN screams in agreement).

Dead is too strong. PSP has strong branding and decent support. It'll do well even if Sony does nothing for the rest of the year.

That said, it's the success of the DS not the PSP's weakness that's the 'big news' here. And the developers are starting to take notice. And frankly, as a gamer, I'm actually excited.

Had PSP succeeded like the DS did in Japan, we might have gotten more of the same. DS success means more new and interesting games and genre. I'll take that over another crippled port of a PS2 game.

Hero

Deku said:
Dead is too strong. PSP has strong branding and decent support. It'll do well even if Sony does nothing for the rest of the year.

That said, it's the success of the DS not the PSP's weakness that's the 'big news' here. And the developers are starting to take notice. And frankly, as a gamer, I'm actually excited.

Had PSP succeeded like the DS did in Japan, we might have gotten more of the same. DS success means more new and interesting games and genre. I'll take that over another crippled port of a PS2 game.

Less than 20K a week for the PSP isn't a glaring weakness worthy of news?

Pimpwerx

PSP's kinda on the brink. A Pokemon could stand to smash it pretty handily at this point. I think Sony's thanking their lucky stars at this moment. The gap is now 1.5M in Japan. Not insurmountable, but if they don't get any good games soon, it's pretty much game over IMO. In EU and the US, though, it's doing pretty damn good. And globally, it's really not that far behind. Still another 60M units or more left to be sold, so this is just the start. The Saturn held the PS1 down pretty good at one point, then got smashed. But this situation is a lot different since Nintendo now holds the FF of the handheld market. The PSP is overpriced with no good games. It kinda deserves to get its ass handed to it. :lol PEACE.

Taker666

AniHawk said:
For not having any games, 80k a month is pretty good.

It's had plenty of games (although most were ports).

PSP has had 18 releases in Japan in the last 2 months, DS has had 17.

Hero

AniHawk said:
For not having any games, 80k a month is pretty good.

So the DS sales of North America, by comparison, is pretty good considering the lack of games up until now?

Rock_Man

LTD (August 21), according to Famitsu:

DS Power Pocket Koushien 49,189
DS Naturo RPG 2: Chidori vs Rasengan 78,148
DS Nintendogs 627,079

PSP Mobile Suit Gundam 32,465
PSP Taiko no Tatsujin Bataburu 30,055
PSP Tenchu: Shinobi Taizen 51,096

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Fuzzy said:
Xbox - 130
New low for Xbox?

I still wonder how well the 360 will do in Japan when the current Xbox has so thoroughly bombed. Microsoft really should've branded the 360 as something completely different in Japan.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Since nobody else has posted it, here are the exact numbers for the software top 10 this week.

1 PS2 Tales of Legendia - 242,371
2 PS2 Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY: Generation of C.E. - 118,343
3 PS2 NARUTO: Uzumaki Ninden - 33,762
4 DS DS Training For Adults: Work Your Brain - 31,782
5 PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 - 30,060
6 PS2 Winning Post 7 (incl. Limited Edition) - 28,214
7 DS Gentle Brain Exercises - 28,031
8 DS JUMP SUPER STARS - 27,564
9 GBA The King of Beetle Mushiking: Greatest Champion - 15,394
10 DS Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - 14,546
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 886,454 units, 113.49% of the weekly average.

Sixteen new releases took spots in the top 100, accounting for 54.49% of sales. New titles, including top-ranked "Tales of Legendia" and "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY: Generation of C.E.," drove the market to 116.83% of last week's figure.

"Tales of Legendia," in first place, sold 242,000 units. This figure was just short of the approximately 265,000 units in first week sales marked by "Tales of Symphonia," the game's predecessor. This was the PS2 edition released in September 2004. Although this may seem to be an unsatisfactory performance for an installment in the "Tales of" series, the title sold more than 200,000 units in its first week. One could consider this to be a good start if performance is compared numerically with that of other titles. "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY: Generation of C.E." delivered a strong performance with sales of approximately 118,000 units, but sales of other new titles were low. This turned out to be a week in which only the top two new titles made good showings.

Top Bottom