• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts, Media Create 9/12-9/18

NWO said:
They probably will once you point out the "people" who were claiming that the PSP was dead in Japan.

Good lord, read any of the Japan sales threads for the last couple of months. Nowe that it's not so dead, the focus has shifted to the near future, when it will be (according to the faithful).

names called out above, for a sample.

Razoric

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
On the anti-PSP side there's jarrod, gamegirly, Frankfurter, borkbork, and on the "well, it's just a lame port" side are you and DCharlie, downplaying the fact that between this, the White model, and AC, there could have been a much bigger bump.

Ok fair enough but I don't see where the discussion ends and the fanboyism begins. If I'm wrong about the WE "lame port" then that's fine. From different impressions I assumed it wasn't that well put together and Japanese gamers arent going for it. I remember Dynsaty Warriors not being so hot on PSP either so there really wasn't unexpected for me. Maybe I should've expected more.

I guess the white model should've sold more... but the whole AC thing, are UMD movies ment to push systems? Especially ones that are in limited release and are readily available the same day on DVD?

Mrbob

I think the most surprising number is PS2. Sales finally starting to slow down? I don't remember the last time the PS2 sold under 25k.

I may have overstated it, it just strick me as ironic, give that the Ninbots are usually the ones putting down games as lame ports. Peace.

Diffense

This is funny!

A few months ago a certain segment of GAF were predicting the PSP would be creaming the DS in Japan. Now that same segment is relegated to arguing that it will not become entirely obsolete.

Let hope they're not wrong on that point too! :eek:

argon

Mrbob said:
I think the most surprising number is PS2. Sales finally starting to slow down? I don't remember the last time the PS2 sold under 25k.

If you add GCN sales, only 25,000 home consoles were sold this week in Japan.. that's kind of scary.

Either the market's totally saturated, or people just aren't as interested in home consoles anymore.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
argon said:
If you add GCN sales, only 25,000 home consoles were sold this week in Japan.. that's kind of scary.

Either the market's totally saturated, or people just aren't as interested in home consoles anymore.
Don't worry, the Xbox 360 will reverse the trend. :D

Cheebs

argon said:

That's why I feel Rev has a fairly decent chance to outsell PS3 over in Japan. The console market there is shrinking. It needed something like Rev to turn the market on the head.

None of this applies to USA really however.

Pretty decent sales all round, especially on the software front. Been a while since I remember 4 titles hitting over 100k in the same week, very almost 5 as well.
It'll also be very interesting to see how WE performs over the coming weeks. It got a great review in Famitsu (9,9,9,9) before release, but it's been getting poor impressions ever since. Wonder what kind of impact word of mouth will have, if any.

Beowvlf

Banned
When's PSP Brain Training (by Sega right?) getting released, and will it carry the same low price point as the DS version?

PS2 KID

The way the Handheld market is in Japan, PSP's killer apps will be remakes, compilations and the most anticipated TALKMAN non-game. I have a feeling Talkman will outsell everything else on PSP the way the Nintendogs and Brain Training games have sold so far.

polg

PS2 KID said:
The way the Handheld market is in Japan, PSP's killer apps will be remakes, compilations and the most anticipated TALKMAN non-game. I have a feeling Talkman will outsell everything else on PSP the way the Nintendogs and Brain Training games have sold so far.

non games for.the.win

I don't think non-games will work out as well for Sony. They've put pretty much all their eggs in the "PS2 crowd migrating over" basket and are now going to have to live and die with that decision.

The DS on the other hand was a riskier move on Nintendo's part, more of a non-conventional machine, but sometimes you gotta risk something to gain something. Not all of DS' "non-traditional games" have been hits either ... Electroplankton, Band Brothers, and Feel the Magic haven't done nearly as well as Nintendogs, Tamagotchi, or Brain Training, so I don't think its quite that easy of a formula to pin down.

Bebpo

Banned
Cheebs said:
That's why I feel Rev has a fairly decent chance to outsell PS3 over in Japan.

myworld.jpg

Speevy said:
One of the best selling sports franchises of all time was outsold by a 20 year old rerelease on a 5 year old handheld.

Japan is...so strange.

Compare GBA vs. PSP's userbase and you'll get your answer. Btw Japan's customers imo are the most aware in the world. Yes they buy some weird-ass games but they do it on purpose. It's not like in the western countries where Fifa is outselling Winning Eleven or in USA and EU where EA thrives selling the same POS games year after year.

Brain Training PSP shouldn't do nearly as well on the PSP as it did on the DS. Why should it? All you can do is fucking multiple choice. The whole interface and "non-gameplay" is gone. You can't read back segments of writing, draw your answers, or hold the system like a text book. All you get is A, B, C, D with the face buttons and stuff.

Fuzzy

GBM - 170,306
DS - 72,167
PSP - 70,152
PS2 - 24,396
GBASP - 11,147
GC - 1,882
GBA - 624
Xbox - 109

YTD / LTD
DS - 1,698,283 / 3,193,879
PSP - 1,285,371 / 1,767,623
DS Lead - 412,912 / 1,426,256

Fuzzy

Here's the software chart without rounded off numbers.

1 PS2 Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden (Koei) - 203,107
2 GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo) - 187,386
3 NDS Tamagotchi (Bandai) - 150,072
4 PSP WE9 UE (Konami) - 106,882
5 GBA Super Robot Taisen J (Banpresto) - 95,443
6 NDS Gyakuten Saiban DS (Capcom) - 64,570
7 GBA Dr. Mario + Panel de Pon (Nintendo) - 53,036
8 NDS Brain Training (Nintendo) - 36,704
9 GBA Mario Tennis Advance (Nintendo) - 33,870
10 NDS Gentle Brain Exercises (Nintendo) - 23,619

Deku

Banned
Fuzzy said:
GBM - 170,306
DS - 72,167
PSP - 70,152
PS2 - 24,396
GBASP - 11,147
GC - 1,882
GBA - 624
Xbox - 109

YTD / LTD
DS - 1,698,283 / 3,193,879
PSP - 1,285,371 / 1,767,623
DS Lead - 412,912 / 1,426,256

source?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
GBM - 170,306
GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo) - 187,386

I don't understand this. :lol

Fuzzy

GoutPatrol said:
NDS Gyakuten Saiban DS (Capcom) - 65,000 (NEW)

Does this include the LE edition or not?

If so, okay.

If not, great!
MC's site says that it includes the LE.

BTW Top 50 breakdown by platform.

PS2 - 20
DS - 12
PSP - 8
GBA - 7
GC - 2
PS - 1

Culex

Banned
Wow, I didn't think the PSP would be THAT close to the DS!

WE9 + FF:AC + White PSP still couldn't dethrone the DS for even one week. Ouch!

Next week might be the week, though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Fuzzy

From the translation of the notes (I'll wait for MC to post their own English translation before posting it as usual) the White PSP sold 48K (which means 22K of the normal which is the same as the week before).

Zeo

Banned
BorkBork said:
GBM - 170,306
GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo) - 187,386

I don't understand this. :lol

You can't really think that the only people in the world that would buy that are people who bought it with GBM, right? :p

Fuzzy

Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 1,233,131 units. This is a complete turnaround from the slump in sales last week. With the help of the launch of new hardware on the market and an extensive lineup of new titles, this week saw high figures that amounted to 309.62% of last week's level and 159.08% of the weekly average.

The number of Game Boy Micro (GBM) units sold was 170,306 (GBA, GBASP and DS sold 531,298 units, 114,099 units and 468,883 units respectively at the time of launch). Television commercials may have helped as sales got off to a good start for GBM, with a high absorbency rate of 83.53% for the most popular Famicom version. New colors for PSP sold about 480,000 units. Although this was not as high as for GBM, it helped revitalize sluggish PSP sales. Attention will focus on future trends.

Fifteen new releases took spots in the top 100, accounting for a high 76.96% of sales. With "Dynasty Warriors 5: Mosho Den" (about 203,000 units) in the lead, strong sales of more than 100,000 units sold were posted as well for "Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (20th Anniversary version)," "Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop!" and "World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Evolution," thus driving the market.
I saw that 83.53% figure for the Famicro (which means 142,257 of the total) and didn't believe it which is why I waited until MC posted their English translation. Nintendo made me say "wow". ;)

EDIT: The 480,000 for the white PSP is just a typo, they mean 48,000.

jarrod

Banned
Ceb said:
Nah.

PS gained its position and increased the market by ridding itself of the things Famicom represented. Same thing with the PSP, only that we'll have to wait and see if it turns out to be as successful.
PlayStation gained it's position by gaining Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. End of story.

Mrbob said:
PSP still sells 20K a week while the GC sells a mighty 4K a week. This week it sold 2K. Amazatron.
GameCube was regularly selling 20k+ weekly it's first year too. ;)

By percentage, this is the closest week DS and PSP have ever had. DS having 50.7% of the DS/PSP share. There were previously weeks where DS had 51.0% and 51.1%, though.

The huge GBM sales made a noticeable change in the YTD percent of hardware sales by manufacturer. Whereas last week it was N/S/M 46.8/53.0/0.2, it's now 48.6/51.2/0.2. Of course if we went by revenue things would be a tiny bit extremely different.

Summing all three major models, GBA's YTD sales are now 715,550. That's 2.7% GBA, 73.5% GBA SP, and 23.8% GB Micro.

jarrod said:
GameCube was regularly selling 20k+ weekly it's first year too. ;)
Ehhh, I think that's using "regularly" pretty loosely. :) On good years it hit about a million, which averages to about 20K a week, but of course was much higher in November-January and much lower the rest of the year.

Unconfirmed 1st day sales (September 22) from Famitsu data.

Rapsodia 27k around 50% digestibility
Gundam Battle 19k 40%
Hissatsu Ura Kagyo 11k 20%

Harukanaru Jiku no Nakade 13k 80%, 90%(Limited Edition)

F1 (PS2) less than 20%

Top Bottom