• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts, Media Create 9/12-9/18

Izzy

Banned
I'm a bit surprised, but it looks like Square really have a winner on their hands with Advent Children.

I bet Nintendo did an awesome job pushing the launch of the Micro in Japan looking at those numbers. I hate NOA's marketing. Seriously, someone should fire whoever is in charge. I haven't seen one commercial showing off the Micro in the states and there's even some confusion around the boards as to when it will become available. Sure, I could prolly look it up, but I shouldn't have to. It should have been at the fore of myc product awareness.

Nintendo is doing an awesome job in Japan and I hope it leads to much third party support. I can't wait to see what Kojima cooks up for the DS and the announcement of each RPG warms my heart. It looks like Nintendo was not so crazy to be so confident in their handheld products. Now if only they can capture the same success with their consoles...

Mihail

Banned
Izzy said:
I agree with Razoric - 55k PSPs isn't too shabby at all.
The difference is that you can look at it objectively, while he thinks "HAahahahahshdhash eat you @&(*ing fanboys, eat that @#*! 55 thousand times bitch ass @#*@** @* HAHAHAHAHA!"

jarrod

Banned
55k isn't "shabby" but it's also pretty far from the performance most were expecting before the daily's leaked WE9UE's position (under a Tamagotchi spinoff and yet another SMB1 rerelease). It's not to late to turn things around, but right now PSP's looking to be the next "GameCube" in Japan more than anything.

Izzy

Banned
jarrod said:
55k isn't "shabby" but it's also pretty far from the performance most were expecting before the daily's leaked WE9UE's position (under a Tamagotchi spinoff and yet another SMB1 rerelease). It's not to late to turn things around, but right now PSP's looking to be the next "GameCube" in Japan more than anything.

Or the next N64 - or the next Saturn. It's too early to tell - I certainly don't expect it to match DS numbers in Japan.

Re: 55k - I predicted 35k for the week; perhaps that's why it looks good to me. OTOH, I predicted 45k for WE9 (PSP), so... :lol

jarrod

Banned
Izzy said:
Or the next N64 - or the next Saturn. It's too early to tell -
Well, they all sold around the same anyway (4-6 million units). The big differentiating factor is software sales... most games these days can't survive off 30-50k in sales (unlike in the PC Engine or Saturn days). PS2 software sales aren't that spectacular all around either (especially compared to FC/SFC/PS1), but at least there you've got a slim chance of making a decent return compared to GameCube.

Izzy said:
I certainly don't expect it to match DS numbers in Japan.
That's going to be a problem though, as Japan's industry just seems unwilling to bother with secondary platforms these days. GameCube looked similarly hopeful early on, but eventually that peetered out. The same could definitely happen to PSP.

I think Sony's biggest problem was not cementing PSP as the next "Game Boy", especially as Nintendo gave them a golden opportunity by foregoing the brand. PlayStation rose to it's current position by attracting support that Nintendo took for granted, in essence making it the next "Famicom" rather than Nintendo's own N64. The same isn't happening this time around... someone goofed somewhere, leveraging PSP as a handheld PS2 might fly in the west but Japan just isn't going for it.

Razoric

Banned
Mihail said:
The difference is that you can look at it objectively, while he thinks "HAahahahahshdhash eat you @&(*ing fanboys, eat that @#*! 55 thousand times bitch ass @#*@** @* HAHAHAHAHA!"

Uh I didn't say that I said:

"Damn for everyone saying PSP is 'dead' in Japan, 55k in one week is fucking great."

For the record I own and like the Nintendo DS.

Nice try though idiot.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Re: 55k - I predicted 35k for the week; perhaps that's why it looks good to me. OTOH, I predicted 45k for WE9 (PSP), so... "

if i low ball DS predictions, that still won't mean a jot! ;)

I personally would have expected way higher numbers for PSP and WE9.

I'm not sure whether the quality of the game has anything to do with it or not at this point, but the sales are disappointing on the whole IMO.

DCharlie said:

I'm not sure whether the quality of the game has anything to do with it or not at this point, but the sales are disappointing on the whole IMO.

Well we9 for ps2 isnt free from problems too, the whole defense and controlling the players without the ball is too horrible to describe, they seriously need to twek this in the next edition.....

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Well we9 for ps2 isnt free from problems too, the whole defense and controlling the players without the ball is too horrible to describe, they seriously need to twek this in the next edition....."
of course We9 on PS2 has some issues too, but compared to PSP WE9, that's mere details.
PSP WE9 is way ahead of the game in terms of issues.

Some one asked tonight if they focus towards casuals was causing the problem - and i've no idea, i just think something horrible has happened (the AI guy at Konami fell into a blender or something?)

Mrbob

DCharlie said:

What version of WE9 is this? Isn't there like 3 different versions of WE9?

No wonder the DS does so well in Japan.

PSP needs more new games in Japan, period. Seems like most Japan 3rd parties are happy just using the PSP as a port machine.

Ceb

jarrod said:
I think Sony's biggest problem was not cementing PSP as the next "Game Boy", especially as Nintendo gave them a golden opportunity by foregoing the brand. PlayStation rose to it's current position by attracting support that Nintendo took for granted, in essence making it the next "Famicom" rather than Nintendo's own N64. The same isn't happening this time around... someone goofed somewhere, leveraging PSP as a handheld PS2 might fly in the west but Japan just isn't going for it.

Nah.

PS gained its position and increased the market by ridding itself of the things Famicom represented. Same thing with the PSP, only that we'll have to wait and see if it turns out to be as successful.

jman2050

Can someone just get rid of Mihail or something? He's really starting to get on my nerves >_<

On topic, the numbers are pretty much what I expected. WE getting at least 100k was forseeable. The huge Tamagotchi and Mario numbers are what really get me though o_O Phoenix Wright wasn't too shabby at all either :)

Ceb said:
Nah.

PS gained its position and increased the market by ridding itself of the things Famicom represented. Same thing with the PSP, only that we'll have to wait and see if it turns out to be as successful.

Really? I would have liked to have seen how the PSX would have done if the Saturn had reaped some of the benefits that the Famicom represented instead of the PSX ... namely Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

I think it's becoming obvious the PSP is not going to dethrone Nintendo in Japan like the PSX dethroned the N64. That ship is sinking faster than the Titanic.

The bigger problem for Sony is this was probably one of their bigger salvos for the year. WE9 + white PSP + FF: AC gets beat by ... Tamagotchi? Yikes. They still have Gran Turismo, but Nintendo still has Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, the Final Fantasy DS games, and Pokemon.

Brain Training I think has now crossed over into "phenomenon" status. 1.5 million or beyond as a final tally seems more than attainable, and that would make it the biggest new franchise in Japan in years.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wait..they released Super Mario Bros for GBA...AGAIN?? A 2nd time? And it still sold that much? Was it a budget special edition something release, or are people just nuts? :lol

jman2050

soundwave05 said:
Really? I would have liked to have seen how the PSX would have done if the Saturn had reaped some of the benefits that the Famicom represented instead of the PSX ... namely Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

I think it's becoming obvious the PSP is not going to dethrone Nintendo in Japan like the PSX dethroned the N64. That ship is sinking faster than the Titanic.

The bigger problem for Sony is this was probably one of their bigger salvos for the year. WE9 + white PSP + FF: AC gets beat by ... Tamagotchi? Yikes. They still have Gran Turismo, but Nintendo still has Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, the Final Fantasy DS games, and Pokemon.

Pretty much. From the very start, it was obvious that the only chance Sony had was to establish the PSP as a dominant platform before Nintendo had the chance to flex their muscles. Now, we have all of Nintendo's top titles coming quickly, with Pokemon on the horizon. If the PSP can't knock off the DS now, they have absolutely no shot, specifically after Pokemon comes out.

Jonnyram

Kiriku said:
Wait..they released Super Mario Bros for GBA...AGAIN?? A 2nd time? And it still sold that much? Was it a budget special edition something release, or are people just nuts? :lol
Well, to some extent people are nuts. When I went into my regular shop to buy a GBmicro, the shopkeeper asked if I wanted to buy Super Mario Bros. I said I'd bought it last year when the Famicom Mini series first came out, and he said "It has this special Super Mario 20th Anniversary icon on it." I backed away slowly.

But the main reason it's selling so well is because of the anniversary and the advertising that goes with it. Mario is probably the biggest character in videogame history, and the Famicom revival is huge in Japan at the moment. A single featuring samples from the Mario games recently scored big in the charts too.

My opinion on Iwata is changing.

A year ago I thought he was crazy and the DS would get slaughtered by the PSP especailly in Japan.

Now seeing the DS, the surprise hits in Nintendogs and Brain Training, and the Revolution ... I think he really has a strong plan for Nintendo, one that could reinvigorate the Japanese marketplace.

They should continue to invest in new franchises, that really seems to have paid off. Sony is relying almost solely on "mini-sized" versions of console titles, Nintendo is taking a lot more chances and they're paying off.

Jonnyram said:
Well, to some extent people are nuts. When I went into my regular shop to buy a GBmicro, the shopkeeper asked if I wanted to buy Super Mario Bros. I said I'd bought it last year when the Famicom Mini series first came out, and he said "It has this special Super Mario 20th Anniversary icon on it." I backed away slowly.

HAHA, they all insane~ :lol

Yamauchi

Banned
soundwave05 said:
My opinion on Iwata is changing.

A year ago I thought he was crazy and the DS would get slaughtered by the PSP especailly in Japan.

Now seeing the DS, the surprise hits in Nintendogs and Brain Training, and the Revolution ... I think he really has a strong plan for Nintendo, one that could reinvigorate the Japanese marketplace.

They should continue to invest in new franchises, that really seems to have paid off. Sony is relying almost solely on "mini-sized" versions of console titles, Nintendo is taking a lot more chances and they're paying off.
I felt the same way as you. I honestly thought Iwata was off his rocker, just another delusional game designer chosen by Supreme King Yamauchi to continue his bizarre policies. Now, I like what Iwata is doing. It may be Japan-centric, but so what?

Personally, I think the PSP is dead in Japan once the PS3 and Revolution are released. Even if a crapload of compelling software were to come out for the system, which is highly unlikely, I still think it's DOA of the PS3 and Revolution. The very best they could hope for is a niche market. The startup cost for the PSP is simply too much money and it will no longer have the same appeal once the next-gen consoles are released. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say the same exact thing will happen in both the US and Europe. The only difference is that in Japan it will be a quick death and in the US and Europe it may linger before eventually crawling off to die.

Razoric

Banned
Fester Shinetop said:
Personally, I think the PSP is dead in Japan once the PS3 and Revolution are released. Even if a crapload of compelling software were to come out for the system, which is highly unlikely, I still think it's DOA of the PS3 and Revolution. The very best they could hope for is a niche market. The startup cost for the PSP is simply too much money and it will no longer have the same appeal once the next-gen consoles are released. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say the same exact thing will happen in both the US and Europe. The only difference is that in Japan it will be a quick death and in the US and Europe it may linger before eventually crawling off to die.

I disagree. I think PSP is just coming into it's own. It started off as just a PS2 port machine but after TGS I have full faith in the system. Will it beat Nintendo in the handheld arena? Probably not, no. But it could coexist in the handheld market just as the 3 consoles do in the console arena. Just because PS2 is creaming Xbox in the U.S. doesnt mean Xbox is a failure does it?

Anyway, I wouldnt count PSP out yet, seems they are finally getting started with the machine. :)

Razoric said:
I disagree. I think PSP is just coming into it's own. It started off as just a PS2 port machine but after TGS I have full faith in the system. Will it beat Nintendo in the handheld arena? Probably not, no. But it could coexist in the handheld market just as the 3 consoles do in the console arena. Just because PS2 is creaming Xbox in the U.S. doesnt mean Xbox is a failure does it?

Anyway, I wouldnt count PSP out yet, seems they are finally getting started with the machine. :)

The thing is, there isn't much that's as big as a Winning Eleven game over there except Final Fantasy or something. This was supposed to be the week where the PSP should have beaten the DS. What else will have as much magnitude as this should have had?

To me it seems like Sony has kinda put the PSP on the backburner.

Their E3 press conference and the amount of time they devoted to the PSP was laughable.

Izzy

Banned
Fester Shinetop said:
Personally, I think the PSP is dead in Japan once the PS3 and Revolution are released. The only difference is that in Japan it will be a quick death and in the US and Europe it may linger before eventually crawling off to die.

Interesting...

Razoric

Banned
gamewhooper said:
The thing is, there isn't much that's as big as a Winning Eleven game over there except Final Fantasy or something. This was supposed to be the week where the PSP should have beaten the DS. What else will have as much magnitude as this should have had?

WE was just a PS2 port. What's popular on consoles doesnt always transfer to handhelds. Wait for some hyped up original titles to his PSP and then we'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Also, take DS out of the equation for just a second. PSP sold 55k in one week and usually sells what 20k a week? That's not too bad. Not Nintendo level of sales obviously but it doesnt mean the system is doomed either. Fuck a lot of you act like it's selling as bad as Gamecube or Xbox. :lol

Mrbob

Razoric said:
WE was just a PS2 port. What's popular on consoles doesnt always transfer to handhelds. Wait for some hyped up original titles to his PSP and then we'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Also, take DS out of the equation for just a second. PSP sold 55k in one week and usually sells what 20k a week? That's not too bad. Not Nintendo level of sales obviously but it doesnt mean the system is doomed either. Fuck a lot of you act like it's selling as bad as Gamecube or Xbox. :lol

No doubt.

PSP still sells 20K a week while the GC sells a mighty 4K a week. This week it sold 2K. Amazatron. A half ass port bumped the PSP up to 55K for the week. Imagine what happens when some good games start coming out in Japan.

Also, it is funny DS is declared the champ of the west, when all indications are pointing to the contrary.

Razoric

Banned
soundwave05 said:
To me it seems like Sony has kinda put the PSP on the backburner.

Their E3 press conference and the amount of time they devoted to the PSP was laughable.

Did you not read about the TGS show?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Razoric said:

Unfortunately though, this is exactly how the PS2 and GC race in Japan went. PSP finally is getting some unique software after TGS, but the momentum is totally on the DS's side now, with no forseeable shift in the future. What's more, Nintendo hasn't begun to hit full stride yet, with holiday sales (NOT EASTER!) and its first party games (Mario + Pokemon = Come on!) coming in the next few months, it's going to get even more lopsided, fast. By the end of next year, I forsee not coexisting, but it scraping by with maybe 7 to 8k/week, with developers abandoning software to work on either next gen PS3, or the cheaper and more cost effective DS, exactly like the PS2/GC situation.

Edit: This is Japan only.

@Razoric
Did you not read about the TGS show?

A serious question: was there anything spectacular concerning the PSP?

@MrBob
PSP still sells 20K a week while the GC sells a mighty 4K a week. This week it sold 2K. Amazatron. A half ass port bumped the PSP up to 55K for the week. Imagine what happens when some good games start coming out in Japan.

a) this "half ass port" is a "half ass port" of Winning Elven (yeah, the game that regularly sells about 750k-1m!) and it is perhaps even the biggest selling PSP title for the next months.
b) there was something like... a white PSP that probably quite much supported the bump to 55k!

Razoric

Banned
BorkBork said:
Unfortunately though, this is exactly how the PS2 and GC race in Japan went. PSP finally is getting some unique software after TGS, but the momentum is totally on the DS's side now, with no forseeable shift in the future. What's more, Nintendo hasn't begun to hit full stride yet, with holiday sales (NOT EASTER!) and its first party games (Mario + Pokemon = Come on!) coming in the next few months, it's going to get even more lopsided, fast. By the end of next year, I forsee not coexisting, but it scraping by with maybe 7 to 8k/week, with developers abandoning software to work on either next gen PS3, or the cheaper and more cost effective DS, exactly like the PS2/GC situation.

Edit: This is Japan only.

And you could be right but you also have to remember PSP hasnt hit it's full stride yet either. I'm just saying I wouldnt be so quick to just write off a system which just had 55k in sales LAST WEEK regardless of what the DS did. If / When it dips down to 10k or 5k a week then I'll agree with you. But I honestly don't see that happening and I'm pretty sure Sony isn't just gonna let this system fall by the wayside.

Razoric said:

PSP has a viable standing as long as PS2 is still selling strongly. Public consumer connection with the PS2 brand is powerful for the time being. As soon as PS3 is released, it will have an impact upon PS2's sales and so will it on PSP due to the fact of the numerous PS2ish titles released on the device and that PSP is more associated as a handheld PS2 than on its own terms. Game development costs will factor in eventually too as devs become stretched thin over the number of current platforms to support.

It's much more likely that PSP will be killed off after PS3 is released than DS ever destroying it. Just an end result of Sony gaming overkill. There's no market for developers to support high Xbox360, PS3, and Revolution game development costs and current consoles as well as for a pricey handheld. That's why a low cost handheld system and cheap games are an alternative to many who wont even be able to afford a next-gen system or already got a PS2 with a larger library than PSP's for cheaper.

(I left out Xbox & GC as one is starving right now and the other will be on its way after this Holiday season)

Mrbob said:
No doubt.

Let me step in here. It was a PS2 port of a popular title, a new system color, and a UMD copy of a movie sequel to a very popular Squaresoft Final Fantasy. Also the GC has had time to get to those pitiful sales, the PSP has been for how long now? Now don't get me wrong, I don't think the PSP is dead either, obvious this week says a lot, Sony can get this thing going back to where it was again, if they do something now while there's some "momentum". But with the GBAM, SP doing the same as it has been since the DS released, and the DS also boosting.. if they happen to let it drop again, it may be just plain too late and it will get passed by consumers.

And you bring up a great point, "when". When are those titles coming?

Now with your NA market statement, I totally agree. NOA is trying way too late to keep the DS into the eyes of its demographic. If not for this holiday season coming up, I'd say it's too late.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

That's not unreasonable. :lol

If it were a BioHazard game for me ;)

The PSP development costs will go down over time.

The installed base means that title sales will likely increase.

The PS3 isn't going to do squat to the PSP in Japan. I doubt it'll have much effect here, either.

Ignatz Mouse said:
The PSP development costs will go down over time.

The installed base means that title sales will likely increase.

The PS3 isn't going to do squat to the PSP in Japan. I doubt it'll have much effect here, either.
Agreed, I don't see how this even works. If anything about the PS3's release that could hurt the PSP is probably pricing, but that's kind of out of the question given what the system has to offer.

Well I guess the other question too is ... Game Boy Next is going to be coming sooner or later too. Maybe a bit later now that DS is so successful, but eventually it'll be out.

And that'll likely take away Sony's graphics advantage.

I don't see Nintendo giving Sony any type of breathing room. This whole "multi-tier" approach seems more like an attack plan to exhaust Sony from every possible angle.

Right now the GB Micro/SP hold the budget consumer, while the DS is the higher end product, but eventually the Micro/SP will be phased out in favor of likely a smaller/cheaper DS model and then Nintendo will introduce a higher-end Game Boy successor.

Two funny things on this thread, one for each group of fanboys.

1) Suddenly, WE is a cheap port, when usually the SonyBots are defending ports of titles. This one they rag on (since it didn't boost sales all that much). If LibertyCityStories sells poorly, will it be re-evaluated as an inferior port with old an old map?

2) PSP is finally out of the basement, and the NinBots are coming up with reasons that the PSP is d00000med anyway. Tired, guys. PSP doesn't havwe to outsell Nintendo handhelds to be successful.

Razoric

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
1) Suddenly, WE is a cheap port, when usually the SonyBots are defending ports of titles. This one they rag on (since it didn't boost sales all that much). If LibertyCityStories sells poorly, will it be re-evaluated as an inferior port with old an old map?

From all the impressions I've read, it is a cheap PS2 port. It's buggy, has shit loading times and overall you can get a better experience on your PS2. I think that does make a huge difference.

And no you cant say LCS is a cheap port because it was build from the ground up as a PSP game. If that game doesnt sell it's just more proof that what's popular on a console isn't always what is popular on a handheld. Two completely different beasts. Some titles can cross over, some cannot.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Two funny things on this thread, one for each group of fanboys.

2) PSP is finally out of the basement, and the NinBots are coming up with reasons that the PSP is d00000med anyway. Tired, guys. PSP doesn't havwe to outsell Nintendo handhelds to be successful.
You know what I find even more funny? How quickly this became a NBot vs. Sonybot mud fight. Of course you expect it, but it's still funny to know just how "sales discussions" are impossible here. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarthWufei said:
And you bring up a great point, "when". When are those titles coming?
Some before the end of year, some early next year, which is probably what throws some people in these conversations when trying to gauge PSP outlook because typically you get more leadtime on the reveal of upcoming game software, allowing people to peer further into the future.

DarthWufei said:
You know what I find even more funny? How quickly this became a NBot vs. Sonybot mud fight. Of course you expect it, but it's still funny to know just how "sales discussions" are impossible here. :p

I expected that from the moment I saw the thread title.

Razoric said:
From all the impressions I've read, it is a cheap PS2 port. It's buggy, has shit loading times and overall you can get a better experience on your PS2. I think that does make a huge difference.

It wasn't that long ago that this was one of the savior titles, though.

Razoric

Banned
Would you guys please care to call out these "fanboys" since you like throwing blanket statements around?

I was surprised the PSP sold as much as it did and said as such. I guess I struck a cord with some people because I didn't say "omg PSP sux am doomed". :\

NWO

Razoric said:
Would you guys please care to call out these "fanboys" since you like throwing blanket statements around?

They probably will once you point out the "people" who were claiming that the PSP was dead in Japan.

Razoric said:

I was surprised the PSP sold as much as it did and said as such. I guess I struck a cord with some people because I didn't say "omg PSP sux am doomed". :\

On the anti-PSP side there's jarrod, gamegirly, Frankfurter, borkbork, and on the "well, it's just a lame port" side are you and DCharlie, downplaying the fact that between this, the White model, and AC, there could have been a much bigger bump.

Top Bottom