• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Gets World's Steepest Roller Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you plan to travel to Japan soon and you’re not among the faint of heart, you might want to visit the Fuji-Q Highland, an amusement park that just added a very special new attraction: the world’s steepest roller coaster. The so-called Takabisha [JP] accelerates to 100 km/h, has a 43m drop and a 121-degree freefall.

The Japanese roller coaster beat the former record holder, the Le Timber Drop in France, which measures “just” 113.1 degrees.

Fuji Q Highland invested $37 million in the development of the Takabisha. One ride takes 112 seconds and costs $12.50.

Video: Prepare to shit your pants.

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/12/takabisha-japan-gets-worlds-steepest/

Lamel

Banned
I want to try it.

Wait what about Kingda Ka at Six Flags great adventure?

1-kingda-ka.png

Edit: That's BS, Kingda Ka is a 90 degree drop from 140 meters! AND it goes 128 mph (205 kph) in 3.5 seconds. Sorry Japan.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/coasters/kingdaka_sfgadv.shtml

LQX

Steep but still doesn't look as crazy and scary as that roller coaster on some building in Las Vegas.

Ronok

Wooh perfect timing. :D I'm going to Fuji-Q in September. Had no idea they had another awesome ride in prodcution. :D

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It looks fun, but it doesn't seem to be particularly tall. The Millennium Force has a 91 meter drop and accelerates to 150 km/h.

Lamel

Banned
So Japan has some explaining to do, Kingda Ka is at a 90 degree drop, can't get steeper than that. So then what's up?

Oh and Kingda Ka video.

I live only 30 minutes away from Six Flags :D

Rad-

Saadster said:
So Japan has some explaining to do, Kingda Ka is at a 90 degree drop, can't get steeper than that. So then what's up?

Oh and Kingda Ka video.

I live only 30 minutes away from Six Flags :D

From the video it looks like it's under 90 degrees in that small part.

Edit: Or maybe my degrees aren't correct here. But it's almost upside down for a second or so is what I meant.

Edit: Whatever it is, that Japanese one looks way scarier from that video.

leadbelly

Banned
Aren't there a lot of vertical drop rollercoasters? I've known of some in the UK for years. The incline bit is interesting, but I don't think it's that much of a big deal.

milanbaros

Member?
This makes no sense.

How do you get steeper than 90'? Once you go past 90' you are getting less steep but upside down.

Can someone explain how you get steeper than vertical please?

I don't see how this is much different than that xcelerator ride at Knott's, which is a joke really. These kinds of things always look a lot more scary than they actually are. It's just a bunch of shaking and looking at the sky. Any fall is over in about 2 seconds.

Now supreme scream? You can't pay me to go on that. Well, you could if the price was right, but that is the only terrifying ride I've experienced. Roller coasters don't faze me.

And that CN tower edge walk thing looks absolutely absurd. Someone is definitely going to fall off, or die from a heart attack.

Lamel

Banned
Rad- said:
From the video it looks like it's under 90 degrees in that small part.

Edit: Or maybe my degrees aren't correct here. But it's almost upside down for a second or so is what I meant.

Edit: Whatever it is, that Japanese one looks way scarier from that video.

On the website its technical specs say it is a 90 degree drop, it also twists as it drops down. The Japan one has more twists and turns, but when it comes to pure height speed and drop, kingda ka is unrivaled.

milanbaros said:
This makes no sense.

How do you get steeper than 90'? Once you go past 90' you are getting less steep but upside down.

This is what I'm wondering.

UNLESS, the 123 degrees means that when you fall, you fall like this.

p304_triangle_120_degree.gif

Imagine the coaster going from point C to point A, climbing to point B and then falling down the side where line segment c is labeled. So it falls on the OTHER side, if you know what i mean.

Mik2121

milanbaros said:
This makes no sense.

29kns.png

?

Lamel

Banned
Mik2121 said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but that's bullshit, how does that make it any better? If anything it makes it slower as the downward component of the force is counterbalanced by the angle slightly.

milanbaros said:
This makes no sense.

How do you get steeper than 90'?

Like how you thought. You start going slightly upside down.

The new coaster looks pretty fun although I don't really see anything ground breaking about it.

I was at Fuji Q when Fijiyama was the highest coaster in the world. They also had moonsault scramble which they later closed down because it gave too many people a black out. IIRC the rider experienced up to 5-6 Gs.

Mik2121

Saadster said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but that's bullshit, how does that make it any better? If anything it makes it slower as the downward component of the force is counterbalanced by the angle slightly.
I don't think it's about the speed, but about the fact that you are going at a fairly low speed (because it starts from 0mph at the top) backwards. That's probably way more "shocking" that making a loop at a fast speed. Then it goes to a 90º from the ground where it catches speed and makes a few more loops and whatnot.

Dunno, I don't like roller coasters (yeah..) so I can't really tell you why would that make it better.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I think the worse thing about rollacoasters is waiting in line to get on the thing, the goddam fear is just to much for me, its always a terrible time when i'm waiting.

:(

Rad-

H_Prestige said:
I don't see how this is much different than that xcelerator ride at Knott's, which is a joke really. These kinds of things always look a lot more scary than they actually are. It's just a bunch of shaking and looking at the sky. Any fall is over in about 2 seconds.

Now supreme scream? You can't pay me to go on that. Well, you could if the price was right, but that is the only terrifying ride I've experienced. Roller coasters don't faze me.

And that CN tower edge walk thing looks absolutely absurd. Someone is definitely going to fall off, or die from a heart attack.

I didn't mind Supreme Scream. Upside down drops scare the fuck out of me though. Hell, anything upside down. I'm pretty thin so there's always extra space between me and the steel safety bar.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was expecting it to be crazier. It's not tall enough to really make it have an impact.

Futureman

Steel rollercoasters are the most unscary thing ever. Thrilling, yea. They aren't scary at all though. What do you think is going to happen? The car is going to fly off the tracks?

Dan said:
I was expecting it to be crazier. It's not tall enough to really make it have an impact.

Not being an expert on physics, kinetics etc etc....do you have to sacrifice height for steepness? ( regards to safety, g force etc etc).

Mik2121

Kentpaul said:
I think the worse thing about rollacoasters is waiting in line to get on the thing, the goddam fear is just to much for me, its always a terrible time when i'm waiting.

:(
Exactly. I remember back in Spain I was on a theme park waiting to get on a roller coaster (my first roller coaster!) and waiting on the line, I saw some of the people get out from there, and one of them puked right after getting out of the ride. As soon as I saw it, I was like...

werqwe-photo-u1.jpg

bai!

milanbaros

Member?
Mik2121 said:

So going upside down but horizontal is the steepest rollercoaster in the world then? I stand by my point. You can't get steeper than vertical. Its just a PR lie.

You need to change the thread title. Its completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom