• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majormaxxx

Calm down this is fictional game set in inspired by history time period.
Nobody is rewriting Japan's history, culture or something.
People wanted to play as a cool Japanese samurai.

Now they get to play as a historical figure who was a retainer/servant and is being used just because he checks boxes on the diversity bingo card.

Yasuke was a man, likely of African origin, who served as a servant and retainer to the Japanese daimyō Oda Nobunaga in 1581–1582, during the Sengoku period.

demigod

Miles Morales - Spiderman
Lincoln Clay - Mafia 3
Marcus Holloway - Watch Dogs 2
The annoying chick - Forpsoken
Colt Vaugh & Juliana Blake - Deathloop

And theres way more but not strictly AAA games, not to mention side characters. So lets not pretend like they dont exist.
Miles wasn’t created from videogames. Forspoken is definitely woke.

StueyDuck

I don’t care about her stance on LGBT samurai. You asked me to verify her claim about her family, not defend her entire being. I found verifiable information. I specifically said you should google and dig for it, because I am not posting a doxxing-level of information to win a GAF argument.

We are at a standstill where I can’t post proof and you’re too lazy to look yourself.

The answer is directly in front of you and you choose to ignore it.
I never said prove she is japanese, show me where i said that, you are just trying to deflect, again to use your own words, you only work in facts. So prove to me that she is the authority when it comes to Yasuke and Retainers and not just a woman on the internet?

You were caught out that you are indeed one-sided because you don't hold yourself accountable to the same ideology you put forth when "criticising" people. I am just waiting for why anyone should believe she is the end all and be all in Japanese retainer knowledge. to me she just looks like an activist on twitter who... to use your words again, someone who is riling people up.

again it's all just speaking from each side of your mouth, first all we care about is the facts and the truth, you will only believe something is you have the evidence you say. But it seems that belief system is very selective... You wouldn't really agree that a person who was calling everyone racist and nazi in these threads is egregious instead you just said "ooof well i'd never answer such a ridiculous notion". You haven't called out any other non-facts, like a random tweet from a random woman who has literally no authority on any historical information other than she had family once. I have Irish lineage, doesn't mean i read my granny death certificate that i am now an Expert in Irish history going back 100s of years.

again i'd respect you more if you'd just admit what you are all about.

feynoob

Gold Member
The problem is that I wanted to play as a Japanese cool samurai, and this is not a game a will buy cause it doesn't have one.

Is that a problem for you?
The game has a female Japanese character.
"if you have a problem with that then that's your problem" is the most hollow, empty, meaningless rebuttal you can give to anyone under any circumstance.
The game isn't about switching a certain like what Netflix did to Cleopatra, instead of using an actual Egyptian actress.

People are simply pissed that they are playing as a black guy and wouldn't have made a fuss like this, if the guy was white like nioh.

Can't believe I am entertaining a discussion like this, when the intention are very clear. Instead of actually crying about the real issue, which is the 130$ price tag. Woke shit my arse.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yea we are talking about black men not women. Again, this is, literally, the first AAA game I can think of since San Andreas with a black male lead and the outrage is kind of surprising.
Watch dogs 2 and even that is probably reaching, but I don't keep track of main protagonist color, such a waste to care about that

FewRope

There's an asian guy on Era right now making a 1k post on how he is pissed about Yasuke stealing the japanese male protag spot and he is going to be so banned even tho he is writting it like a little cuck afraid of the banhammer, you know this is a shitshow when a place like Era is reacting like that

feynoob

Gold Member
Watch dogs 2 and even that is probably reaching, but I don't keep track of main protagonist color, such a waste to care about that
I would have appreciated more if people changed this outrage to the pricing of the game.

Ubisoft is giving ideas to other publishers how to fuk gamers with those price tags. They did it with star wars and now they are doing it with this game. Soon, every game would have this business tactics, because gamers for the love of God doesn't seem to understand the real problem.

The game isn't about switching a certain like what Netflix did to Cleopatra, instead of using an actual Egyptian actress.

People are simply pissed that they are playing as a black guy and wouldn't have made a fuss like this, if the guy was white like nioh.

Can't believe I am entertaining a discussion like this, when the intention are very clear. Instead of actually crying about the real issue, which is the 130$ price tag. Woke shit my arse.
Just 130$ is not the only issue, battle passes and whole pricing system for AC made me avoid it at all. I dont even think about characters, when barriers are in lower levels !!

Majormaxxx

both the price and the agenda are an issue.

I don't have a problem with the game Afro Samurai or the anime Afro Samurai. Heck, the original manga is from a Japanese artist.

I have a problem with the clear agenda behind this same purputed historical character in this particular game. Or do you think it is just a random decision?

pQTCLJR.jpeg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would have appreciated more if people changed this outrage to the pricing of the game.

Ubisoft is giving ideas to other publishers how to fuk gamers with those price tags. They did it with star wars and now they are doing it with this game. Soon, every game would have this business tactics, because gamers for the love of God doesn't seem to understand the real problem.
Well I was talking about a lot of that "mandatory 70USD/80EUR price tag" here, especially in relations to those "micro"-transactions which is basically bundled to anything + much bigger audiences. If anything games should be cheaper, when you are basically buying a dispense machine with expensive extra shit.

CherryFalls

It has to a humiliation ritual at this point by sadists at ubisoft.

They want a beautiful Japanese assassin's creed game? Lets give it to them, but then troll them and make it dirty it by making it african. They have to know at this point

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
both the price and the agenda are an issue.

I don't have a problem with the game Afro Samurai or the anime Afro Samurai. Heck, the original manga is from a Japanese artist.

I have a problem with the clear agenda behind this same purputed historical character in this particular game. Or do you think it is just a random decision?

pQTCLJR.jpeg
The agenda is you. It's a media piece, not a political movement.
As a black person, I would agree more with you if it was changing the color of the character. They are using real character, and it conflicts with your fantasy setting.

Strategize

Now that phase one failed ("Yasuke was a legit samurai") they now effortlessly move to phase two: "AC was never historically accurate anyway so it doesn't matter".

Both of these things could potentially be true, but the latter is definitely true. It never mattered, hence why I personally never actually tried to argue whether or not he was a samurai, it's pointless bickering.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Just 130$ is not the only issue, battle passes and whole pricing system for AC made me avoid it at all. I dont even think about characters, when barriers are in lower levels !!
Ubisoft and EA are pushing the waters too much. They already got their ways with mtx on SP games. Now they want to push these tactics.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mark my words, this is going to tank. People are fed up with being force fed DEI..

Escape your weird little internet hate bubble. Normal people do not care about this shit. It'll be in the top 10 selling games of the year in the US.

You don't have to like it, but the idea that most people care is beyond delusion.

Majormaxxx

As a black person, I would agree more with you if it was changing the color of the character. They are using real character, and it conflicts with your fantasy setting.
Political movements use media. Political movements have their origins in the financial backing behind them. No money = no political movement.

The same financial backing is behind the DEI agenda in media:

Media and entertainment companies are financially pressured and/or incentivized to follow the dei agenda because they are publicly traded and ultimately companies like blackrock strongarm them into this.

I wouldn't have a problem with the exact same character with the exact same characteristics if they were a result of clear creative pursuit.

The choice to use him originates in DEI policy, however, and I find it insulting.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Both of these things could potentially be true, but the latter is definitely true. It never mattered, hence why I personally never actually tried to argue whether or not he was a samurai, it's pointless bickering.

So I have not been keeping up with the recent titles, but is this game not the first example of you playing as a known historical figure vs someone who just interacts with them?

I find it strange that they would suddenly break this golden rule of the series at the exact same time they needed to explain why the main character is black in a game set in fucking feudal Japan.

It's more we know exactly why they went for this guy, and it's not to tell an intresting or engaging story, the reason is quite literally skin deep.

But none of this matters because it will be a microtransaction infested Ubisoft bore fest and I wish people would not buy the game BECAUSE OF THAT! Not because the main character is fucking Black Dynamite in Japan.

feynoob

Gold Member
Political movements use media. Political movements have their origins in the financial backing behind them. No money = no political movement.

The same financial backing is behind the DEI agenda in media:

Media and entertainment companies are financially pressured and/or incentivized to follow the dei agenda because they are publicly traded and ultimately companies like blackrock strongarm them into this.

I wouldn't have a problem with the exact same character with the exact same characteristics if they were a result of clear creative pursuit.

The choice to use him originates in DEI policy, however, and I find it insulting.
Real character like nioh guy. They aren't changing his color. Case closed.

Now let's move to the real issue. The more we discuss this, the better.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Spot on.

Wouldn't be surprised if this has all been a very deliberate tactic on the part of Ubisoft to

a) detract from the actual bullshit they're up to with their rampant, non-stop greed
b) create a culture war discussion point that will provoke many people to buy the game to support the political positioning
c) create a heated discussion around the game to provide free publicity

And unfortunately, gamers everywhere are falling for it.

Ubisoft can - and will - leverage whatever they can to sell their product.

Majormaxxx

Real character like nioh guy. They aren't changing his color. Case closed.

Now let's move to the real issue. The more we discuss this, the better.
it is a losing battle. Ubi is greedy AF. They found a way to cut up their games so that a complete game ultimately costs like $300

in 2005 game prices changed to 60 bucks.

This is 95 bucks in 2024.

But Ubi is not satisfied with that it seems - ultimate edition costs 130...

GymWolf

Gold Member
I dont think he has a hidden blade....if he does its probably like Origins or Odyssey style.
This is bullshit.

We had what? 20 or more ac games? Tell me one game where you can't go from stealth to tank and viceversa.
In origins and odissey you could do stealth kills and combat with one character.

I tend to think this will work as 2 separate classes, each character with his own set of perks and skill from which to create a build. Yasuke will have probably "in your face" combat perks and skills, while Naoe will be more stealth, daggers etc.
Not what i want from an ac game where for 20++ games you could go from stealth to tank and viceversa with a single character.

Sometimes you just change how you are playing on a whim, i don't wanna switch character everytime i wanna switch from stealth to combat, it sound annoying and laborious af.

I hate this.

Last edited:

Strategize

So I have not been keeping up with the recent titles, but is this game not the first example of you playing as a known historical figure vs someone who just interacts with them?

I find it strange that they would suddenly break this golden rule of the series at the exact same time they needed to explain why the main character is black in a game set in fucking feudal Japan.

It's more we know exactly why they went for this guy, and it's not to tell an intresting or engaging story, the reason is quite literally skin deep.

But none of this matters because it will be a microtransaction infested Ubisoft bore fest and I wish people would not buy the game BECAUSE OF THAT! Not because the main character is fucking Black Dynamite in Japan.
I think his history is the perfect mixture having some interesting talking points that standout in that time period, but also not so well known, so that there's some mystery to him that a decent writer can create a compelling protagonist out of. But as you said, it's Ubisoft, perhaps they'll surprise, but it'll most likely be dull.

feynoob

Gold Member
it is a losing battle. Ubi is greedy AF. They found a way to cut up their games so that a complete game ultimately costs like $300

in 2005 game prices changed to 60 bucks.

This is 95 bucks in 2024.

But Ubi is not satisfied with that it seems - ultimate edition costs 130...
That is the cup tea for Ubisoft. I can smell the amount of armor pack on the store section.

Valhalla had disgusting packs.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think his history is the perfect mixture having some interesting talking points that standout in that time period, but also not so well known, so that there's some mystery to him that a decent writer can create a compelling protagonist out of. But as you said, it's Ubisoft, perhaps they'll surprise, but it'll most likely be dull.

I mean I can tell you one thing that's going to happen, this is a dual protagonist which you switch between which means there going to fuck and have a baby at some point, other wise the person in the Animus couldn't play both their points of view.

Honestly though I'm just sad things like vahalla did so well in sales. Over half the games rewards are locked behind the store, which is why it feels so unrewarding to play.

Just replay Ghost of Tsushima, better time for everyone, one price, full game.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

They are using real character, but he was not a samurai. How is this difficult to understand? It's a game in Japan. What do you think about first thing when you think about Japan?

Hentai

Samurai

Katana

So Ubisoft had to REALLY look hard and try SUPER HARD not to have an Asian lead. White? Done in Shogun + not politically correct because COLONIZERS. Ok, how about we do Black then?

It's like having Medieval Poland with 99.99% white population and taking THAT ONE TURKISH GUY at the court and making him the central character. It doesn't make sense.

You think it’s strange to explain to the general public that there was an actual black samurai? That this minor historical figure from Japan needs no introduction? That people would see a black samurai and have no questions or confusion about the characters or setting?

feynoob

Gold Member
They are using real character, but he was not a samurai. How is this difficult to understand? It's a game in Japan. What do you think about first thing when you think about Japan?

Hentai

Samurai

Katana

So Ubisoft had to REALLY look hard and try SUPER HARD not to have an Asian lead. White? Done in Shogun + not politically correct because COLONIZERS. Ok, how about we do Black then?

It's like having Medieval Poland with 99.99% white population and taking THAT ONE TURKISH GUY at the court and making him the central character. It doesn't make sense.
Team Ninja, a Japanese devs made a game about while guy called nioh.
Why are you guys going this hard? I don't understand it.
If you really crying about Japanese lead, play ghost or Ronin.

Hopefully you come to the light and take your sword fighting Ubisoft bundle package scam. Our real cause should be this. Not letting them get away from this practice. If you are a gamer, spam the package price on social media.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You think it’s strange to explain to the general public that there was an actual black samurai? That this minor historical figure from Japan needs no introduction? That people would see a black samurai and have no questions or confusion about the characters or setting?

I mean for starters you would need to explain that he was potentially a samurai, but he also might of just been a page. Just wait for when they announce the "discovery mode" for this which they will then sell to schools and Library's as a learning tool to teach history.

You know the "teaching tools" that told kids that Egypt was a black civilisation, that Greece let women historically take part in male only events (no sexism in history) and that a not insignificant number of vikings where back people from Africa.

No there won't be any questions because they will retcon history to make it so that he was 100% a samurai, infact he was probably the Shogun as well for a bit, since the evidence is the same. No one wrote a letter saying he's not Shogun just like no one wrote a letter saying "oh he tottaly wasn't a samurai."

With Ubisoft you give them an inch and they rewrite history and sell it.

People arguing "Assassins creed is not historically accurate" ignore the fact Ubisoft sell the fucking games as discovery tours AS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.

Last edited:

Moneal

Hentai

Samurai

Katana

It also goes against every game in the history of the franchise and uses a real historical figure as a main character. None of the previous 16 playable characters were real historical figures. They were all fictional characters plugged into historical events. Even the other main character in this one is a fictional character.
Team Ninja, a Japanese devs made a game about while guy called nioh.
Why are you guys going this hard? I don't understand it.
If you really crying about Japanese lead, play ghost or Ronin.

Hopefully you come to the light and take your sword fighting Ubisoft bundle package scam. Our real cause should be this. Not letting them get away from this practice. If you are a gamer, spam the package price on social media.
The difference is the reasoning for selecting a character not native to the setting. Team Ninja is Japanese and probably used William because they thought it would sell more in the west with a white lead. The only reason I can see to use Yasuke for Ubi considering they haven't used a real figure before in an AC game is DEI.

Strategize

People arguing "Assassins creed is not historically accurate" ignore the fact Ubisoft sell the fucking games as discovery tours AS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.
You're talking about the environmental simulation, which is usually pretty accurate, not the characters and events.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Mark my words, this is going to tank. People are fed up with being force fed DEI..
Sounds like the folks in the South who banned I Spy in the 60s because Bill Cosby* was in it and thus was an agenda.

Because anytime someone black appears in a major role, it's DEI. Or woke. Or CRT. Or political correctness, or whatever the next rage word people will pick up.

* - before his crimes.

raintrija

Neo Member
Hi everyone, I want to share my opinion on this topic.

First, I want to mention that I'm Asian (Vietnamese). I have been a fan of the Assassins Creed series for almost 14 years, from AC 1 to the latest game. This franchise is very dear to me.

And I also want to say that I have great respect for black and African people. I have read several books by Mr. Obama, the former US President, and books by Mrs. Toni Morrison... I also enjoy watching films featuring Black actors such as Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle.... I have great admiration for actor Morgan Freeman; he is like an uncle to me.

I have said those things because I want you to know that I like Black people just like White people or my Asian people. And I also think that having a black lead character like Yasuke in this game is a positive and interesting choice.

But I also want to say that I like to have a choice play as an Asian or Japanese male lead character in this game, the franchise that I care a lot, especially considering the setting and theme of this game. Many of my friends share this sentiment as well.

I hope you understand this is a valid concern because this is a game that we love, I have waited 14 years and when the mainline Assassin's Creed game has an Asian setting but we are not able to play in gender (race) who represents us is very disappointing.

I want to mention that having Naoe as a female Asian lead in the game is great, but as a male fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise, which features a male main lead representing the native countries of their settings in almost every mainline version, I want to have the option to play as a male Asian character (like a choice to play as male ninja/shinobi). It's disappointing that Ubisoft doesn't give us male Asian fans this choice.

As I have said I think Yasuke is an interesting character, and I look forward to playing and know more about him. I respect the game developers' creative intention for their products, It is just that I think Ubisoft should give us Asian people the choice to play as the Asian male lead.

In the end, I hope you respect other people's opinions like us that we want to have a choice to play this game as a Japanese male lead. And do not think we are racist or have bad prejudice against black people, that we are not.

However I also understand that some people who comment on this subject are racist and use discussions like this to spread their hateful views towards Black people while pretending to care about Asian people. I think it's important to call them out for this terrible behavior before it harms other people.

I still like this game and will buy it, I just wish there was a chance for us Asian male fans, sigh.

Thank you everyone for reading my comment.

feynoob

Gold Member
Hi everyone, I want to share my opinion on this topic.

First, I want to mention that I'm Asian (Vietnamese). I have been a fan of the Assassins Creed series for almost 14 years, from AC 1 to the latest game. This franchise is very dear to me.

And I also want to say that I have great respect for black and African people. I have read several books by Mr. Obama, the former US President, and books by Mrs. Toni Morrison... I also enjoy watching films featuring Black actors such as Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle.... I have great admiration for actor Morgan Freeman; he is like an uncle to me.

I have said those things because I want you to know that I like Black people just like White people or my Asian people. And I also think that having a black lead character like Yasuke in this game is a positive and interesting choice.

But I also want to say that I like to have a choice play as an Asian or Japanese male lead character in this game, the franchise that I care a lot, especially considering the setting and theme of this game. Many of my friends share this sentiment as well.

I hope you understand this is a valid concern because this is a game that we love, I have waited 14 years and when the mainline Assassin's Creed game has an Asian setting but we are not able to play in gender (race) who represents us is very disappointing.

I want to mention that having Naoe as a female Asian lead in the game is great, but as a male fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise, which features a male main lead representing the native countries of their settings in almost every mainline version, I want to have the option to play as a male Asian character (like a choice to play as male ninja/shinobi). It's disappointing that Ubisoft doesn't give us male Asian fans this choice.

As I have said I think Yasuke is an interesting character, and I look forward to playing and know more about him. I respect the game developers' creative intention for their products, It is just that I think Ubisoft should give us Asian people the choice to play as the Asian male lead.

In the end, I hope you respect other people's opinions like us that we want to have a choice to play this game as a Japanese male lead. And do not think we are racist or have bad prejudice against black people, that we are not.

However I also understand that some people who comment on this subject are racist and use discussions like this to spread their hateful views towards Black people while pretending to care about Asian people. I think it's important to call them out for this terrible behavior before it harms other people.

I still like this game and will buy it, I just wish there was a chance for us Asian male fans, sigh.

Thank you everyone for reading my comment.
I would love miyamato musashi as assassin creed character or any of the three romance kingdom characters.

Those are some good kickass Asian characters that I would love to play. Imagine ezio and musashi or lu bu teaming up.

Because anytime someone black appears in a major role, it's DEI. Or woke. Or CRT. Or political correctness, or whatever the next rage word people will pick up.
There were just no black people at that time in Japan, that is fact. There were some Portuguese foreigners trying to spread Christianity, but no black people. And if there were, do you really think they would have survived longer than a day. Japanese people were already concerned enough about foreigners, do you believe they would a black person walk freely around there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
All of this outrage for UbiSoft single player game with an always online requirement - that most people aren’t going to buy anyways. It’s going to go over like a lead balloon, and be half price within two months. Just like everything else they do.

Buy Tsushima or any of the other Samurai/Ninja games starring Asian characters. There’s no shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom