• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
...the Ridley Scott film...
qtt0VtT.png

8bitpill

This makes no sense. Variety almost inherently makes things more interesting. Do you really want you games and media to be homogenous and bland.
When I play a game that is a time period piece in Japan (Sengoku Period) I would prefer to play as a Japanese person which would be the culturally appropriate route to go with this. Making a push for Yasuke to be the main protagonist of a game based in medieval Japan, is a push by western developers to add their narrow views on another culture.

What if FromSoftware decided to make SEKIRO Portuguese, it wouldn't have felt immersive.

AC Shadows just comes off like this,
200.gif

or this
NtBhECn.gif

bender

What time is it?
Bro in AC II you fight the Pope, who has magical powers. Just......stop it.

near

Gold Member
Should the main character be Japanese in an AC game set in Japan? Yes, for the sake of consistency.

Was Yasuke a samurai? No one knows, there is no historical supporting evidence, anyone who says otherwise is talking out their ass.

Are Ubisoft bad developers? No, they're equivalent to human fecal matter.

Will you be buying this game? Fuck no, I haven't played an AC game since 2009.

Why are you commenting in this thread? Because Yasuke was a cool legend now tarnished in bad publicity and cultural appropriation because of stupid Ubisoft.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You can say the same about William Adams with the Shogun show and Nioh.

To fair, The protagonists in both the Shogun show (and 1975 book it's based on) and Nioh are only inspired by William Adams. In Shogun it's an English man called John Blackthorne, and in Nioh it's an Irish guy called William Adams, but not the same real-life William Adams.

Umbral

Nobody should buy this game because it will be a bad game. We should be more outraged at Ubisoft’s soulless game design.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Pissing off the majority of Japanese players in a game about their own culture? Only Ubi can pull this off.

Then again, considering who the lead writer is, I'm not surprised:

And even with all this bullshit, the purple forum is still complaining:

5GFWsMu.png

A daily reminder that these people will never be happy, no matter what. Stop catering to the mentally ill.
Of course she protected her Twitter page.

I'm just tired of everyone complaining about these issues. If you don't like the game, just don't buy it. I don't think I've ever seen russians complain about being the villains in almost every FPS army game
i'm thinking that constantly being used in military shooters as the last villains in the world that the u.s. really want to face, the ultimate bad guys? the russians very likely get off on it. i mean, when the u.s. is the 'good' guy? yeah, sure, i'll be the bad guy...

rofif

Banned

This is so tired already. The dramas are so exhausting.
Last Samurai? NOPE. Tom Cruise is not asian.
Batman beginning? You realize he is kinda a ninja?!

Stories need to be interesting. You tell something unlikely or out of place.
If all stories had to follow some code of conduct and strict racial guide, we would only be allowed a historical stories.
Turok is obviously shit because real dinosaurs had feathers.
Kill Bill?! AN AMERICAN WOMAN being schooled by a Chinese master. How unlikely.

It's the unlikely scenarios that make for good stories sometimes.
not the expected. Everyone else is asian in the game and it might be a good story about him being accepted or not.

That said - I realize it's ubisoft so all of what I wrote is not the reason for this... but still. Giving some benefit of a doubt

EDMIX

This is so tired already. The dramas are so exhausting.
Last Samurai? NOPE. Tom Cruise is not asian.
Batman beginning? You realize he is kinda a ninja?!

Stories need to be interesting. You tell something unlikely or out of place.
If all stories had to follow some code of conduct and strict racial guide, we would only be allowed a historical stories.
Turok is obviously shit because real dinosaurs had feathers.
Kill Bill?! AN AMERICAN WOMAN being schooled by a Chinese master. How unlikely.

not the expected. Everyone else is asian in the game and it might be a good story about him being accepted or not.

That said - I realize it's ubisoft so all of what I wrote is not the reason for this... but still. Giving some benefit of a doubt

Absolutely agreed!

My biggest problem with a lot of this is people are completely disregarding this as a fictional work, this is not arguing statistically what is or isn't likely to really occur, this is saying you need to suspend a level of belief to play these video games or really any video game so I never understand this idea of someone being upset that a race in a video game when where are the same fucking people when a vampire or a werewolf or a dragon is in a fucking game? lol

AC is not saying Japan is nothing but black people, AC is saying this game is about 1 exact fucking person that went to japan who was black who really existed and just exaggerate a fantastical fictional story about him.......thats it.

So agree with how odd and stupid this idea of a "strict racial guide" is, make that shit make sense folks.

Who the fuck is out here making a game, not based on what they want to write, but based on some exact statistical idea of likeliness of something base on gender, race, nationality etc?

At this point, let the developer make their game and folks need to just make they own game with their own bullet points, be like "ok, but we can't have jimmy get killed in the Bronx, cause what is the murder rate of a German expat living in New York in 1973, that is 5'6? If we can't get that data, we can't kill him in the game, as how will gamers react to this wild unbelievable thing, BE FOR REAL KEVIN!"

DrFigs

When I play a game that is a time period piece in Japan (Sengoku Period) I would prefer to play as a Japanese person which would be the culturally appropriate route to go with this. Making a push for Yasuke to be the main protagonist of a game based in medieval Japan, is a push by western developers to add their narrow views on another culture.

What if FromSoftware decided to make SEKIRO Portuguese, it wouldn't have felt immersive.

AC Shadows just comes off like this,
200.gif

or this
NtBhECn.gif
Isn't this like saying that Assassin's creed 4's lead shouldn't have been white because the game was set in the Caribbean? The devs could have chosen to tell some random Haitian's story, but instead they focused on this fictional white pirate. Why is it unacceptable to focus on this Yasuke guy, for the purpose of also telling a fictional story?

Last edited:

Tams

Is Yasuke's story not interesting? A black man in feudal japan - isn't it a fascinating story that he's possibly the only black man in Japan at that time? Like what is the suggestion here? that Ubisoft is secretly trying to humiliate Japanese people?

He could also have just been Nobunaga's exotic pet and that Nobunaga used him as a footstall.

Tams

The biggest issue is we all know here why Ubisoft chose Yasuke: the cult of diversity, virtue signalling, and vicarious insult.

And all in a game where the whole series' core plot has it so that they could have two Japanese man protagonists and have Yasuke as a played character in addition. Hell, in lovely Ubi fashion, they could make it a microtransaction!

As for comparisons to The Last Samurai: that was a wholly fictional story, yet even then managed to get a lot historically accurate and in a respectful way. It wasn't trying to force diversity in for the sake of virtue signalling. Oh, and Japan liked it very much on the whole.

Senhua

Overall I agree.
Just I doubt Ubisoft can do this right. Making good game about the experience of people who far away from their home is way harder than just using local.
The setting is Japanese civil war Sengoku era, so dev need to really know of their stuff very deeply which I doubt Ubisoft can do as they do not have experience making historical East Asian stories.
Even among the native Japanese developer themself, I only believe KT who can do this kind of works as their past work prove that.

Second
Differentiate based on race is one of the most easy way out if not done correctly, even if you perfectly described what protag feel at the time, there are risk of alienating some market. Some East Asian especially Japan player surely will pass this game as they don't need to experience it as the settings always have been their home and they already familiar about Sengoku era far more than foreign player.

Rather than using race why Ubisoft not use more elegant and better way.
Samurai/Ninja role is not homogen there are a lot of variation based on historical fact alone or maybe Ubisoft can create their own moves/ronin/clan/whatever fiction which of course need much intensive research than just search one unique foreigner person at that era.
I'm Chinese so I cannot give you the exact detail about Feudal Japan but you surely get what I mean.

Last edited:

DrFigs

He could also have just been Nobunaga's exotic pet and that Nobunaga used him as a footstall.
I guess I don't understand why some really care about authenticity now. in the assassin's creed games where you play the sons of noblemen, somehow the games have nothing to do with filing taxes, doing paperwork, attending meetings, going to church on sundays, etc. but because its Yasuke, no creative liberties can be taken whatsoever. the game absolutely has to be about him doing man-servant things.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I guess I don't understand why some really care about authenticity now. in the assassin's creed games where you play the sons of noblemen, somehow the games have nothing to do with filing taxes, doing paperwork, attending meetings, going to church on sundays, etc. but because its Yasuke, no creative liberties can be taken whatsoever. the game absolutely has to be about him doing man-servant things.

They also not talking about Leonardo Da Vinci doing assassin shit lol

Any of the other wild shit, i'm trying to figure out where the thread is about this shit lol

Assassins-Creed-Mythical-Creatures.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Origins-Banner-4-1024x576.jpg

-1534957592731.jpg

bruh...WHEN THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN IN HISTORY CLASS? When did the Pope square up with someone to catch the fade? When? smh..

maxresdefault.jpg

DrFigs

They also not talking about Leonardo Da Vinci doing assassin shit lol

Any of the other wild shit, i'm trying to figure out where the thread is about this shit lol

Assassins-Creed-Mythical-Creatures.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Origins-Banner-4-1024x576.jpg

-1534957592731.jpg

bruh...WHEN THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN IN HISTORY CLASS? When did the Pope square up with someone to catch the fade? When? smh..

maxresdefault.jpg
I feel like i'm in a weird position rn cause i'm not getting this game or any other ubisoft game.

but i just can't understand the good faith argument from people hating on this game. it's fiction. they wouldn't need a reason to make up a fictional black guy in japan if they wanted to. because it's a made up story. but then in fact ... there really was a real black guy in japan and not a lot is known about him, despite what the experts in this thread are claiming. So it's not even the most insane made up shit ubisoft has ever pulled. like the fact that they have literal gods and magic in their other games, as you point out.

there's a popular cartoon out right now about a blue eyed samurai. there's not a bit of the same outrage about it. i think it's very clear why.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I feel like i'm in a weird position rn cause i'm not getting this game or any other ubisoft game.

but i just can't understand the good faith argument from people hating on this game. it's fiction. they wouldn't need a reason to make up a fictional black guy in japan if they wanted to. because it's a made up story. but then in fact ... there really was a real black guy in japan and not a lot is known about him, despite what the experts in this thread are claiming. So it's not even the most insane made up shit ubisoft has ever pulled. like the fact that they have literal gods and magic in their other games, as you point out.

there's a popular cartoon out right now about a blue eyed samurai. there's not a bit of the same outrage about it. i think it's very clear why.
I personally think Yasuke would make an excellent character to build a story around during the Sengoku period. I also completely agree with you that AC has never been historically accurate, nor do they need to conform to expectations in design choices. But this feels like the diversity and inclusion team at Ubisoft got confused as to which discourse it wanted to be a part of. The first black lead in an AC game or the first AC game set in Japan. Why not both! I don't think there are many valid arguments to be upset about the main character being black other than: 'the game is set in Sengoku period Japan', which I feel is entirely fair if they actually cared about representation like they seem to be projecting. This is Ubisoft we are talking about. There probably should be more uproar about the pricing structure of the game and quests being locked behind a season pass, but I guess we can't complain about that with every Ubisoft game coming out.

I personally think Yasuke would make an excellent character to build a story around during the Sengoku period. I also completely agree with you that AC has never been historically accurate, nor do they need to conform to expectations in design choices. But this feels like the diversity and inclusion team at Ubisoft got confused as to which discourse it wanted to be a part of. The first black lead in an AC game or the first AC game set in Japan. Why not both! I don't think there are many valid arguments to be upset about the main character being black other than: 'the game is set in Sengoku period Japan', which I feel is entirely fair if they actually cared about representation like they seem to be projecting. This is Ubisoft we are talking about. There probably should be more uproar about the pricing structure of the game and quests being locked behind a season pass, but I guess we can't complain about that with every Ubisoft game coming out.
The first black lead in a AAA Ubisoft title is Assassins Creed: Origins. It's amazing how people conveniently forget this fact. We could've played a Roman in the period that would've showcased a different point of view than the typical Egyptian native. To see it in the eyes of the invader while you conquer Egypt as well while battling your inner conflict of good vs evil. (See what I did there).

What's most disturbing about this whole discourse is that a lot of people like to throw this under the rug because of the BAD micro transactions, their predatory practice of ripping customer off. Please, have you been living under a cave this whole time? Ubisoft has been doing this since Unity.

This amazing gaslighting attempt to nullify the representation debate is example of inconvenient racism that the majority of the posters here don't want to face. If it wasn't such a big deal... it wouldn't get this much backlash. Face it, you guys are just as bad as Ubisoft who clearly doesn't have the cultural chops to tell any decent story (not since Black Flag) let alone something like Japan.

But hey, I like how you have that much faith in Ubisoft that they can clearly get Yasuke's story right or the "strong-independently" minded female assassin that will fully realize the culture representation that we've been arguing this time.

Give me a Fucking break. Why don't we start a bingo card to see how predictable this game will become.

Last edited:

Toons

both the price and the agenda are an issue.

I don't have a problem with the game Afro Samurai or the anime Afro Samurai. Heck, the original manga is from a Japanese artist.

I have a problem with the clear agenda behind this same purputed historical character in this particular game. Or do you think it is just a random decision?

pQTCLJR.jpeg

You quite literally listed examples of japan itself finding this to be a fascinating story worth building media around, but when ubi does it it becomes an agenda?

Nah dude. Its just really cool and standard out from other Japanese samurai stories. Its a larger than life tale, even the Japanese agree. They've depicted black samurai and ninja plenty of times.

If you really want to play as a JAPANESE samurai theres no shortage of games you can do that, both grounded in reality and not. There never will be.

Toons

Some of you guys are unintentionally pitching co ideas for other games as an attempt to make the argument this shouldn't happen but...

Id fw an Asian samurai landing in Africa and learning their ways and how they survive HEAVY. Especially if they were creative enough ot not make him save the slaves from themselves or some bs.

Boss Mog

the_last_samurai_by_elvisuall_dfqbxc7-fullview.jpg

I'm just tired of everyone complaining about these issues. If you don't like the game, just don't buy it. I don't think I've ever seen russians complain about being the villains in almost every FPS army game
And I'm sick of people complaining about other people voicing very valid opinions. If you don't like a thread, just don't read it or comment in it. AAA games are no longer art, most new ones today exist only as vessels for propaganda and microtransactions. Gamers have a right to complain.

Oh and FYI there plenty of Russian gamers who have complained about being the bad guys over the years.

You can never please the japanese. When Ghost of Tsushima came out they said the characters were too ugly.

Rurouni Kenshin is what a historically accurate and acceptable period piece looks like.

protonion

Totally understandable.
I'm Greek. If in Odyssey they gave me a black/asian/whatever person to control, I would not like it at all and probably would skip the game.

It's gonna suck anyway...
Ezio collection and Odyssey are my keepers.
I don't expect anything good from them anymore.

Last edited:

CGNoire

This is one of those nuanced instances that the internet has never been able to deal with.

Is it true that making Yasuke a protagonist here probably wouldn't be Ubisoft's first idea if not for current day progressivism? Most likely, yes. The same might even be speculated about Naoe's being a female character.

Is it also true that Yasuke is exactly the kind of factually historical but vague enough figure for Ubisoft to use as a main character in their historical fiction franchise? Yes. Is this somehow being prejudiced against Asian men? No. Is this the first time Yasuke has been given a spotlight in fictional media, including out of Japan itself? No.

Everyone suddenly becoming experts on Japanese history in the debate about retainer vs. samurai is internet armchair professionalism at its finest. Nothing wrong with learning and communicating new information, but it's probably not a great idea to debate the sparse details about an obscure man in history and a rank mythologized in the west by way of movies and comic books, in relation to the historical accuracy of Assassin's fucking Creed.

Some of you have been hypersensitized to the FemFreq and Sweet Baby Inc's of the world that you're spewing out DEI rhetoric in the opposite direction. Posts in this thread about "representation" and "only the country of origin gets to decide when to use non-natives in fiction about their history"? Really?

It's not surprising - in fact, it's one of the more predictable and insidious effects of the progressivist campaign. Some are doing it just because they're being reflexively contrary to "the other side" and can't think of better arguments, and some are doing because they're actually racists (not specifically here, but in general).

No shit, we should be concerned about the fact the disc version of this game requires internet to install the game instead.
This so much.
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom