• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait until they use this idea in soap operas...

how_can_you.jpg

Salmonax said:
Gross. Still, that's pretty unusual.
Not really

It's fairly common, especially in older cities. Some places have been working to separate wastewater systems, but in a lot of cases its not worth the cost (which is HUGE) and any problems associated with a combined system can be mitigated fairly well.

I think you're also misunderstanding how the system works - this is wastewater that is treated before being sent to a river. Philadelphia doesn't put wastewater (even after being treated) directly back into the drinking water supply. I don't think anybody does that.

Except Singapore, apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEWater

-PXG-

Yes, I will have the poo poo platter please.

Anyway, I guess they found a cheaper and more cost effective filling for Hot Pockets.

Fong Ghoul said:
Not really

It's fairly common, especially in older cities. Some places have been working to separate wastewater systems, but in a lot of cases its not worth the cost (which is HUGE) and any problems associated with a combined system can be mitigated fairly well.

I think you're also misunderstanding how the system works - this is wastewater that is treated before being sent to a river. Philadelphia doesn't put wastewater (even after being treated) directly back into the drinking water supply. I don't think anybody does that.

Except Singapore, apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEWater

wastewater from philly goes directly into the delaware, which is the local drinking water supply. Even though I'm sure most of the intake is upstream from the discharge, the delaware flows north from philadelphia along the PA/NJ border to NY, where a lot of other municipalities (NY, Trenton) draw their drinking water as well.

so perhaps that's indirectly?

Salmonax

Fong Ghoul said:
Not really

No arguments about the combined sewer system being pretty common, but I still think reusing sewage as potable water is the exception.

Manmademan said:
wastewater from philly goes directly into the delaware, which is the local drinking water supply. Even though I'm sure most of the intake is upstream from the discharge, the delaware flows north from philadelphia along the PA/NJ border to NY, where a lot of other municipalities (NY, Trenton) draw their drinking water as well.

so perhaps that's indirectly?
Yeah, indirectly. But there's other stuff in rivers that would be more harmful than (treated and heavily diluted) sewage. That's why they treat drinking water.

Also, while we're talking Philadelphia and our sewage I just happened to come across this bullshit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fTLmeIIuQ

edit:
Salmonax said:
No arguments about the combined sewer system being pretty common, but I still think reusing sewage as potable water is the exception.
Philadelphia doesn't do that any more than any other city.

Conceptor

Initially read this as faces and not feces lol. Anyway, if they can indeed separate the different factors that make up what we call poop and just keep the macromolecules we associate with regular food, I don't see a problem with it.. I mean food security is going to be a really big deal soon, if it isn't already. Just do some proper testing and shit before handing it to the masses D:

Teknoman said:
...when/if this becomes widespread, i'm going full on vegan/vegetarian/whatever I can to avoid this.
Shouldn't vegetarians etc. be happy about this? You are able to eat meat w/o any animal being hurt/killed/captivated.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I remember having difficulty trying to explain the concept of the Star Trek style replicator to a friend when I was in elementary school. The sticking point was the fact that human waste was among the materials that could be re-synthesized into food via total molecular reconfiguration. At least in that case all the atoms and molecules were being broken down to energy and rebuilt into something else, but this just seems gross. Whatever happened to the lab-grown meat?

Count Dookkake said:
Veronica Moser
oh god
OH GAWD

DO NOT GOOGLE HER

funny thing is, she's from my country, yet i had evaded her for 22 years - only to be introduced to her by an american on an american messageboard
oh the irony

SolidusDave said:
Shouldn't vegetarians etc. be happy about this? You are able to eat meat w/o any animal being hurt/killed/captivated.
yeah, but you'll have to endure being called a shit eater and so on by animal meat eaters
no thanks

This is beyond gross, but we have to be realistic. If our numbers keep growing, we might not be able to harvest enough animals for everyone to feed. If people could eat their own feces and get nutrition's from it, it would reduce the amount of animals we need to kill to stay alive.

Agriculture has reached it's limits(from what I've heard), and if we go from 6 billion to 60 billion within a short amount of time, we are going to have bigger problems.

I just don't get own feces can have anything nutritional in them... Its waste from the food we've taken. how can minerals come from waste? it would be like extracting water from sand. You cant make something come out of nothing, and yet here it is. poop you could eat.

but what happens if you eat your own poop, process it, eat it again and continue? eventually the circle and amount of minerals would have to go so low that the energy that it could possible provide for our bodies would be gone and there would be nothing left but actual empty calories of shit and perhaps fluids.

Vigilant Walrus said:
This is beyond gross, but we have to be realistic. If our numbers keep growing, we might not be able to harvest enough animals for everyone to feed. If people could eat their own feces and get nutrition's from it, it would reduce the amount of animals we need to kill to stay alive.

Agriculture has reached it's limits(from what I've heard), and if we go from 6 billion to 60 billion within a short amount of time, we are going to have bigger problems.

I just don't get own feces can have anything nutritional in them... Its waste from the food we've taken. how can minerals come from waste? it would be like extracting water from sand. You cant make something come out of nothing, and yet here it is. poop you could eat.

but what happens if you eat your own poop, process it, eat it again and continue? eventually the circle and amount of minerals would have to go so low that the energy that it could possible provide for our bodies would be gone and there would be nothing left but actual empty calories of shit and perhaps fluids.

Don't worry. We always have Soylent Green™.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
"I got no beef against you guys"
"I'm not trying to start any shit here"

*head explodes*

kehs

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:

Human waste is not "waste". It's basically anything we don't process.

Everytime you eat poop shit burgers you'll get less and less usefulness out of the next shit batch.

Why? Omg why? Tis is going to encourage companies to start making cheap meats out of shit. If that starts happening I will only eat salads for the rest of my life.

clemenx

Banned
Sounds pretty good, the food problem is going to be serious in the world if it already isn't.

I bet that food we already consume has all sorts of disgusting shit in it, unless you're eating organic.

scar tissue said:
oh god
OH GAWD

DO NOT GOOGLE HER

funny thing is, she's from my country, yet i had evaded her for 22 years - only to be introduced to her by an american on an american messageboard
oh the irony

Never forget!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for the person who has to taste test it.

Orayn

NullPointer said:
First thing that came to mind for me. Its just atoms man.
Pretty much. I understand the grossout factor, but everything we eat has a very good chance of having been involved in something "gross" at some time or another. This is just a different set of middlemen, and it could lead to other useful discoveries. On with shit-meat! On with science!

YakiSOBA

If it tastes like meat, has the same nutrition value, and also has no fucked up side effects - we should start converting all our shit now to start feeding 3rd world countries that are in desperate need of food. We can end world hunger damn...

YakiSOBA said:
If it tastes like meat, has the same nutrition value, and also has no fucked up side effects - we should start converting all our shit now to start feeding 3rd world countries that are in desperate need of food. We can end world hunger damn...

Let them eat cack!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Why are people making fun of this, the water you drink from you'r tap is literally others piss and feces. Whats so different about this?
no, its water.
literally water.

alekth

YakiSOBA said:

Yeah, but it doesn't quite have the nutritional qualities. Soy and carbs...

Orayn

nelsonroyale said:
Wonder how energy efficient it is to produce...
At the moment, not very. The YouTube video said what they made so far was 10-20 times more expensive than normal meat because it includes the cost of their research. These processes can often be scaled up, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... I can literally tell people to eat shit and not die, now?

scar tissue said:
oh god
OH GAWD

DO NOT GOOGLE HER

oh the irony

She must love the poop, eh?

mavs

AbsoluteZero said:
How many times could you redigest the same piece of meat before its unable to be synthesized again?

Human feces is about 50% bacteria by volume, so you get a lot back from each person.

Teknoman said:
...when/if this becomes widespread, i'm going full on vegan/vegetarian/whatever I can to avoid this.

Just as vegetarian as dairy...so vegan it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom