• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

rdellw

So yeah, beat this game now and imo its the best game on DS. Now I am looking for the
fishing rod.
Could anyone tell me how to aquire that? Or any other sidequestish type stuff if possible.

xcomp

My scripted translation guide is up for anyone interested. Instead of making a walkthrough I put the appropriate hints towards the end of the guide to let importers enjoy the game more. Not complete yet but it'll get done eventually :lol

http://xrl.us/2ot4

I should begin logging some time in multiplayer mode this weekend. The rest of the visual guide videos are uploading now - I was busy at Anime Expo and couldn't work on it at all until yesterday.

ant1532

Banned
Haven't had much time to put in the game but damn, just finished the
Wind Temple
and I'm loving it. Only thing for me so far is the boss fights are too easy. But yeah, the puzzles are really great! And damn, that temple was long.

Updated front page with new sales...took down the annoying list guide and just linked to it (sorry, just easier and more oranized).

ant1532

Banned
Does anyone know if the bosses get harder after the
Wind Temple
? They were WAY to easy so far. And how many dungeons are there after the
Wind Temple
not counting the Phantom Hourglass Dungeons?

jesusraz

Quick request - Does anyone have either a translation of the Phantom Hourglass Famitsu review, or at least a scan of the magazine page, please?

The boss of Goron Dungeon and Ice Dungeon are easily the two coolest boss battles in the game, but unfortunately once you figure out what to do on each, they're a joke. The final boss is the most difficult until you figure out what to do on each phase.

ant1532

Banned
Just got my last
fairy
which was a pretty cool scene. Loved the 3rd dungeon hella! Definitely my favorite so far and the boss was real cool too, I loved with they did with the 2 screens. The only complaint I still have is the easyness of the boss fights.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally picked it up yesterday and only played it for a little bit. I got out of the first cave and into the port town. Even though I have only played it for a short time, I can already tell this game is amazing. The controls work like a dream, the graphics are great and its Zelda (it really feels like a Zelda game as opposed to those Capcom spin-offs).

I really need to get around to finishing Wind Waker one of these days...

For those who have beaten the game and understood the dialogue, you mind answering the following:

1) Was the game all a dream like Link's Awakening?
2) Was that The Wind Fish?

Just curious.

Edit:

I also wanted to say that they paid tribute to the original Famicom Disk System Zelda title in that you have to
blow on the mic (or yell into it) to hurt the Pols Voice
. That was something listed in the manual of the original Zeruda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy.

rareside

TSA said:
For those who have beaten the game and understood the dialogue, you mind answering the following:

Just curious.

Here's my interpretation:

I'm not sure about your 2nd question, but from what I gather Tetra and Link were only missing from the boat for 10minutes according to the ship crew. Of course, Tetra denies this, claiming it was all real.

But then at the end Link sees Lineback's boat, so was it all a dream? I think the developers wanted to leave it vague.

One could argue since the game dealt with the Phantom Hourglass, it was indeed all real, but once the last boss was defeated and the old man (whale) returned all the sand to the original locations, Link and Tetra were sent back in time. In other words, it all really happened, but the 2 were sent back in time with no evidence other than their memories and the hourglass.

Jackano

TSA said:

Just curious.

1)Probably not. Tetra made this dream too, so there is collective hallucination :lol
2)probably not. But there is clearly a reference to the Wind Fish for me. Especially for his cry.

The sound it gave off is what made me immediately think it was the Wind Fish, but it had no wings. Then the fact both Link and Tetra wake up together. The final ending sequence was very much like Link's Awakening.

I can play multiplayer later on next weekend. Too many people disconnect, though. The best strategy is not getting the Force Gems to your base right away, but moving them into positions in clusters in corners, and moving them closer to your base. That way, you hold them with the Phantoms when you're on defense easily, and then on your last turn, move as many into your base. Just trying to do one at a time is so pointless.

Also, the multiplayer is a bit broken. While it is "possible" to trap people on most stages, there is a way where the Phantoms can't even catch you if you're good enough on a few stages. The timelimit thing is the only element that keeps it somewhat fair.

ant1532

Banned
Oh god, I ran out of time in the Phantom temple when I was in one of the last rooms(where you have to put the 3 shapes in the podiums to open the door for East side map) and it actually wasn't that hard I just had to watch my hearts and go in and out of doors to respawn pots with hearts. Just made it to Goron island, damn this game seems so freaking long but I love it! Done for the day though.

ant1532

Banned
TSA said:
...so...want...to talk...must...resist...exposing...the...megaton...

TSA said:
Sorry guys, I do wish that was what was happening. You guys are VERY close, but just a bit off. Keep the guessing up ;)
Hah! When I was watching the E3 Press Conference and you came out, I was like, HOLY SHIT. :lol So that's what you were talking about. Congrats on being up stage there. That was a fine looking woman with you too

ant1532 said:
Hah! When I was watching the E3 Press Conference and you came out, I was like, HOLY SHIT. :lol So that's what you were talking about. Congrats on being up stage there. That was a fine looking woman with you too

what??? WHAT??? that's it?? I thought Nintendo was going to make a major Zelda announcement. :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

:( :( :(

NotWii

Banned
ant1532 said:
:lol Me too

And yes, who is she? :p
Did you guys practice?

And why didn't you turn around and wave before you went?

TSA, I always sort of imagined you as some closet, biggest geek looking guy EVER (I've never seen you beofe). I'm sort of relieved you look normal. Good job btw.

Wii said:
Seem less geeky/dorky/antisocial :p

Did you have a jaw session with Aonuma about TP/PH?
Did you tell him about TP's faults?

What's funny is that I actually haven't conducted any formal interview with either, and I skipped the Nintendo Developer Conference because I knew what was going on there...I saw what was shown off earlier in the week.

As for Phantom Hourglass, yeah we did speak about it and I found out it's now Miyamoto's favorite Zelda game (he kinda says that about every new Zelda, though). Aonuma is very "happy" to talk about Zelda...heh. He's a pretty big fanboy of Zelda himself.

AniHawk

BrandNew said:
I wonder if Aonuma ever wants to branch off and make totally brand new games.

I think he said as much before someone slapped him across the face and said that he was the Zelda guy for life.

Sanjuro

Alright I'm on the fence now. I've been in DS mode as of late playing Planet Puzzle League and now looking for a meaty adventure.

Ouendan 2 or Phantom Hourglass look to me like the sexy two choices.

First thing to get out of the way is to ask if there is anyone here complete with the game who wouldn't mind passing it on by selling or trading? With Lik-Sang gone my importing has hit zero. Also with the language consisting of Japanese is the game still fairly playable with someone of Zelda knowledge?

NotWii

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Ouendan 2 or Phantom Hourglass look to me like the sexy two choices.

First thing to get out of the way is to ask if there is anyone here complete with the game who wouldn't mind passing it on by selling or trading? With Lik-Sang gone my importing has hit zero. Also with the language consisting of Japanese is the game still fairly playable with someone of Zelda knowledge?
Wow, they're both my games of the year for DS.

Try play-asia.com for importing.
There are some spots in PH that you can get really stuck on without knowing Japanese, hint translation help for those puzzles at gamefaqs.
But apart from that, my Zelda intuition got me through the game and the game does a good job of illustrating what you're supposed to do with cut scenes and stuff.

BboyDubC

I just want to say that TSA is an idiot. I am in Japan right now, bought the game a few weeks ago, and LOVE IT TO DEATH. Also, there is one HUGE part, that 100% requires you to be able to understand japanese to solve the puzzle and unlock the secret of the golden frogs that eliminates one huge complaint people have been saying about SAILING (its in every other big zelda game, why would you expect otherwise just because this is a handheld - this is AS MUCH a complete zelda experience as any console zelda!). I believe that is hint enough. I think it is stupid as it is for people to just be running through a zelda game with no story or context and ruining one of the best games Ive played since the 2 3d zeldas on the N64. I dont even think "retarded" can sum up the idiocy of ruining this great experience like that.

Sanjuro

Wii said:
Wow, they're both my games of the year for DS.

Try play-asia.com for importing.
There are some spots in PH that you can get really stuck on without knowing Japanese, hint translation help for those puzzles at gamefaqs.
But apart from that, my Zelda intuition got me through the game and the game does a good job of illustrating what you're supposed to do with cut scenes and stuff.
Was it you I sent the Zelda Shield a while back?

I just don't like Play-Asia. A while back there was a problem where I ended up getting ripped off and I don't want to give them my business. While the chances of being screwed over twice is probably rare, its more of the principal.

On that note..does anyone know of any place in the states that sell imported games? Possibly a good directory? I'm in MA and would love to drive in the city to pick up the game tomorrow if possible. I just have never come across a store with that much goodness.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Was it you I sent the Zelda Shield a while back?

I just don't like Play-Asia. A while back there was a problem where I ended up getting ripped off and I don't want to give them my business. While the chances of being screwed over twice is probably rare, its more of the principal.

If you don't want to do Play-Asia, try VideoGamesPlus.ca or YesAsia.com or NCSX.com

BboyDubC said:
I just want to say that TSA is an idiot. I am in Japan right now, bought the game a few weeks ago, and LOVE IT TO DEATH. Also, there is one HUGE part, that 100% requires you to be able to understand japanese to solve the puzzle and unlock the secret of the golden frogs that eliminates one huge complaint people have been saying about SAILING (its in every other big zelda game, why would you expect otherwise just because this is a handheld - this is AS MUCH a complete zelda experience as any console zelda!). I believe that is hint enough. I think it is stupid as it is for people to just be running through a zelda game with no story or context and ruining one of the best games Ive played since the 2 3d zeldas on the N64. I dont even think "retarded" can sum up the idiocy of ruining this great experience like that.

Can we change this person's title to "Reading Rainbow"? Or "I can't read entire threads"?

BboyDubC said:

Um, I'm pretty sure TSA never said he hated the game. Wow learn to read.

Sanjuro

Stumpokapow said:
If you don't want to do Play-Asia, try VideoGamesPlus.ca or YesAsia.com or NCSX.com
NCSX.com I may do having seen the name for years. Like I said I was a strictly Lik-Sang customer and was very sad to see them go after years of the best service imaginable.

But I'm hoping to find a local solution to be able to play this game within the next day or two. The only import store I have ever walked into was in Montreal however while not searching for one.

Cdammen said:
fPWHWNuUV.jpg

Yay! Crazy target shooting guy is back :D

Strange quirky characters like this are one of many reasons why I love the Zelda games.

BboyDubC

BrandNew said:
Um, I'm pretty sure TSA never said he hated the game. Wow learn to read.

And where did I say that he said he hated the game. You might try your hand at it first before responding. His comments that I have read in the WHOLE thread imply that he is an idiot for ruining the experience by looking at it as some kind of speed trial. Also, I have seen that he has even misinterpreted in MY opinion how a great AAA awesome game should be played. ALSO, from his responses, I have concluded that not knowing Japanese also, effected his experience. All of the people that do know Japanese have differing opinions.

BboyDubC said:
And where did I say that he said he hated the game. You might try your hand at it first before responding. His comments that I have read in the WHOLE thread imply that he is an idiot for ruining the experience by looking at it as some kind of speed trial. Also, I have seen that he has even misinterpreted in MY opinion how a great AAA awesome game should be played. ALSO, from his responses, I have concluded that not knowing Japanese also, effected his experience. All of the people that do know Japanese have differing opinions.

Well, you had a point that you never explicitly stated you thought I hated the games, and then you go and say that bolded phrase. You're back in the hole, my friend.

I'm going to help you out.

http://www.thehylia.com/zph.php?subaction=showfull&id=1182972991&archive=&start_from=&ucat=34&

Read that first. Read it carefully. Then come back and let's talk.

A little late to the party on this one. How do I translate Hiragana into something I can kinda understand? I don't want to have to look at a walkthrough for the whole gamr just to get anywhere.

Alpha_eX

darkressurection said:
A little late to the party on this one. How do I translate Hiragana into something I can kinda understand? I don't want to have to look at a walkthrough for the whole gamr just to get anywhere.

Even if you learn all the Hiragana characters, you then have to learn Japanese to understand what words the characters are spelling.

Just use a translation guide.

Lee N

Membre
darkressurection said:

WaKan, given that you actually can read kana.

Top Bottom